General Discussions #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Up until 1998, he lived in Utah, I believe. And he bought the 1999 VX new, so maybe that check to Matrix is to pay off the car loan or to make up whatever payments he recently missed?

Jesstexas said:
Up until 1998, he lived in Utah, I believe. And he bought the 1999 VX new, so maybe that check to Matrix is to pay off the car loan or to make up whatever payments he recently missed?
I was under the impression that he bought it while he was in Virginia. I'll look to see if I can find a reference to it.

Jenifred said:
I was under the impression that he bought it while he was in Virginia. I'll look to see if I can find a reference to it.
YES, I think I remember that as well.... something about driving by the dealership and seeing it, blah blah blah. I KNOW he bought the Ducati in Virginia, but now that you mention it I think I remember a reference to a Virginia purchase for the VX as well....

I mean maybe he did have some link to Matrix Capital (Denver) from the Utah days or something.

I still would like to know more about that darn check though! As I said, for anyone in those sorts of financial circumstances, especially, that's a lot of money. To be sending out, or to be receiving, for something...

I've been driving my VX since 2000. I first saw it at an Iron Man event back in 96-97? I was in high school then and that car became my dream car. I sat in it and thought it was the coolest thing ever. In 1999 I was driving by the usual Isuzu dealership when I spotted the VX in their showroom. I traded in my 1997 Blazer ZR2 SUV which had 33's, all chromed out and cherry red. At the time it was the hottest little SUV around. My wife was furious, but shortly fell in love with the VX. She still thinks of the VX as a horrible investment because of how much it has depreciated in value. I was a little disappointed too, but after thinking about it, VALUE IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER.

There's another post somewhere that references how he never dreamed he'd be the owner of a $32K vehicle so soon. I think it was on one of his websites.

golfmom said:
In 1999 I was driving by the usual Isuzu dealership when I spotted the VX in their showroom. I traded in my 1997 Blazer ZR2 SUV which had 33's, all chromed out and cherry red. At the time it was the hottest little SUV around. My wife was furious, but shortly fell in love with the VX. She still thinks of the VX as a horrible investment because of how much it has depreciated in value. I was a little disappointed too, but after thinking about it, VALUE IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER.
He was in Virginia in 99. And he was married already. Then the purchase had to have been made between August 99 and Dec 99. Unless, this post was a flashback and he was referring to his fiancee at the time as his wife. (You know he is pretty poetic.)

Thanks for saving me the trouble, gm!

So, I guess my point about all of that is this:

-He bought the VX new in 1999 in Virginia (according to his post on VX boards)

-In January 2004 he references that it will be paid for next year (2005)

-In February 2005, he posts that it's up for sale due to his financial circumstances, and that he's already a few months behind on payments

-Later in February and early March 2005 he makes a few more posts about his VX, regarind installing a CB radio, and doing some other maintenance.

So in February he was several months behind in payments, but presumably that car was never reposessed, or at least not to our knowledge...

There is some check taken via the search warrant, $1200ish, Matrix Capital. We have no idea how the check was made out: to or from the Abaroas, OR, if it had anything to do with the VX, or any other vehicle for that matter.... But, there was the check, nonetheless.

We also know that in Febuary 2005 he posted that he was trying to sell the Ducati. No word on what happened on that front.

And we also know that at the point the search warrant was issued, it referenced the Dodge Durango.

We know that at least at the beginning of 2004 they still had Janet's Acura (as referenced by the Durham County Tax records (the taxes were paid in February, if I remember correctly).

I'm banging my head a little I guess, as it all goes back to my initial musings on what that check was all about, and, what happened with all those vehicles! LOL

Jesstexas said:
LE must have thought that there might be some significance to the check if they took it, right?

SouthEastSleuth said:
-In January 2004 he references that it will be paid for next year (2005)

-In February 2005, he posts that it's up for sale due to his financial circumstances, and that he's already a few months behind on payments
What's the maximum repayment term on a new automobile purchase? My used car, being less than 5 years old, got me repayment terms of 60 months. If it was new, I believe I could have paid it back over a longer period of time but I can't remember how long. Is there a standard or is that also based on who the lender is?

My question is this ... if the VX was supposed to be paid off in 2005, and he was a few payments behind as of Feb. 2005, how many payments could have been left on it before he owned it outright? It couldn't have been many considering how long he'd already owned it. Why give it up so close to when it's finally paid off? Unless he was more than a few payments behind but then it would probably have been repossessed already. Or could it be that he's been behind on it for quite some time, and has been paying just enough to cover the late fees and minimal principal, basically just treading water? Or were the finances so bad that he'd sacrifice a vehicle he loved with less than 12 payments on it just to get some cash?

It just doesn't make sense to me. But not much is today . . .
I would think at this point it would be CHEAPER to hang on to it.
He knows it, so no surprise mechanical problems ... he's taken care of it ... and his payout should be less than what he could by even a used car for.

JerseyGirl said:
What's the maximum repayment term on a new automobile purchase? My used car, being less than 5 years old, got me repayment terms of 60 months. If it was new, I believe I could have paid it back over a longer period of time but I can't remember how long. Is there a standard or is that also based on who the lender is?

My question is this ... if the VX was supposed to be paid off in 2005, and he was a few payments behind as of Feb. 2005, how many payments could have been left on it before he owned it outright? It couldn't have been many considering how long he'd already owned it. Why give it up so close to when it's finally paid off? Unless he was more than a few payments behind but then it would probably have been repossessed already. Or could it be that he's been behind on it for quite some time, and has been paying just enough to cover the late fees and minimal principal, basically just treading water? Or were the finances so bad that he'd sacrifice a vehicle he loved with less than 12 payments on it just to get some cash?
I THINK, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can get new car loans these days for 6 years.

And I agree totally, it seems like that it had to be fairly close to being paid for.... but then again, maybe the circumstances in those last 6-8 months, with Eurosport, etc., had gotten him way behind in payments, even being that close to paying it off!

I know that must have been painful for him, as it's obvious that that car was his pride and joy....

golfmom said:
It just doesn't make sense to me. But not much is today . . .
I would think at this point it would be CHEAPER to hang on to it.
He knows it, so no surprise mechanical problems ... he's taken care of it ... and his payout should be less than what he could by even a used car for.
Exactly. So why would someone give up a vehicle they claim to love so close to payoff? Unless I'm missing something, I don't get it.

SouthEastSleuth said:
So in February he was several months behind in payments, but presumably that car was never reposessed, or at least not to our knowledge...
I don't know much about repossessing so I don't know if once a vehicle is repossessed the owner can reclaim it. BUT I do know for certain that Raven drove the VX to the funeral in Buena Vista, VA. I saw it in the parking lot which would make me assume it was never repossessed.

SouthEastSleuth said:
I THINK, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can get new car loans these days for 6 years.

And I agree totally, it seems like that it had to be fairly close to being paid for.... but then again, maybe the circumstances in those last 6-8 months, with Eurosport, etc., had gotten him way behind in payments, even being that close to paying it off!
Actually, the repayment term doesn't even matter now that I think about it because he said it would be paid by 2005. Unless he was either planning on making a few double payments to pay it early or he was just talking to give a certain impression.

If he had been way behind in payments, I would think that it would have been repossessed by now.

A thought just popped into my mind. Could it be that the check was post-dated and made out for his vehicle? To say a date in late May or June, (as if he was expecting some cash to come his way)? $1200 is a lot to wait on. For most of us, one paycheck isn't going to cover that.

anneshirley said:
I don't know much about repossessing so I don't know if once a vehicle is repossessed the owner can reclaim it. BUT I do know for certain that Raven drove the VX to the funeral in Buena Vista, VA. I saw it in the parking lot which would make me assume it was never repossessed.

Be hard for someone to repo it considering he's not be back *home*.

JerseyGirl said:
A thought just popped into my mind. Could it be that the check was post-dated and made out for his vehicle? To say a date in late May or June, (as if he was expecting some cash to come his way)? $1200 is a lot to wait on. For most of us, one paycheck isn't going to cover that.

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:
$1,200 ! ! ! !

JerseyGirl said:
There's got to be a reason that LE took that check. I don't believe that that's customary. There had to be something that made it stick out as if it might be pertinent as a piece of evidence.

anneshirley said:
Yes, if I had searched properly, duh, I would have remembered you saying that previously anneshirley!! Thank you!!

So, that said. If he behind several payments in February, and trying to sell the car.....

But, still had it at Janet's funeral....

Wouldn't it stand to reason that SOMEHOW he caught up the payments??? I mean someon posted earlier that depending on the lender, at most you could be behind 2-3 months before they would reposess. Feb - May is another 204 months. Seems to me that somehow the car payments were brought current. And maybe even paid off entirely by now, who knows.

Which brings me back, once again, to how all of these things are being financed!?!?!?!?!?!?!

IF indeed, he was able to get the car payments caught up, that had to be a fairly significant chunk of money.

AND, don't forget, he presumably has at least some legal bills, etc., with regard to the embezzlement charges.

We do not know for a FACT that Raven ever started a new job and was bringing in a paycheck.

We DO know they were behind on the rent at Ferrand Drive.

SO - SHOW ME THE MONEY? WHERE WAS THE PRESUMABLY EXCESS MONEY COMING FROM????

A friend helping out?

A family member helping out??

In answer to the questions concerning length of time for financing, you can now finance a new OR used car for 72 months (depending upon the lender). Not that it matters, I just wanted to inform. Banks will repossess anywhere from 2 months on up to 4 months, for the really lenient lenders. If they can't find the car (as someone already pointed out) it can't be repossessed. Additionally, in NC, if someone is in the process (meaning literally doing it) of repossessing your car, and you tell them to stop, they must by law cease and desist. Just mentioning this to explain why he may still have it. I'll be happy to answer any additional questions relative to this, if I've confused anyone.

golfmom said:

golfmom said:
And yet with a vehicle like that, it'd be hard to not stand out, therefore making it harder to run, right? (didn't the VX website or Raven mention that that was the point of owning a VX-to stand out?)
I would think we'd want to check and see if he's looking for a buyer, currently. If so, it might not only be an indication that he's needing money or "downsizing" for the baby, but that he's looking for a more inconspicuous mode of transport.
Just an opinion, though.

Host Name gnat-bocks.aoc.state.nc.us IP Address 204.152.2.230 Country United States Region North Carolina City Raleigh ISP Adminstrative Office Of The Courts
Here's what this webpage says the "Administrative Office of the Courts" does:
The Administrative Office of the Courts (AOC) is the administrative arm of the Judicial Branch. The AOC provides statewide support services for the courts, including information, technology, personnel, financial, legal, research and purchasing services. In addition, the AOC prepares and administers the court system's over $360 million budget and employs more than 400 people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllaMichael