George Floyd death / Derek Chauvin trial - Sidebar week 3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a hard one for me. I love culpability, but I hate the thought of sentencing someone. I don't like thinking of someone in jail for decades upon decades for one instant in their life. But at the same time, if it's murder, their victim was sentenced to no life at all. If it's some kind of rape or other violence against a person, that victim has to live with those scars for life.

I think that police have to have more lenient sentences just because they are police and this is the nature of the job. At the same time, the sentence shouldn't be so low that police don't see it as a determent. I value time because it's all we have, so I feel so awkward judging how many years to take away from someone. Must be hard on jurors. So I don't know yet the answer.
Well said. I don’t envy the jury at all.

Due to currently being off work I have "watched" from jury selection right the way through. In my opinion the prosecution had way too many expert witnesses and it became very repetitive. I know the onus is on them but frequently found myself daydreaming or scrolling through my phone to keep me alert. I have been a juror a couple of times over here but never watched live before. I am a rather cynical person in general and the facts of the civil settlement and multiple retirements/resignations/sick leave give me pause to the general feeling with situation in general. (As an aside I am glad my sons do not work for LE)

Found this tweet from yesterday!

Paul Blume
@PaulBlume_FOX9
·
6h
Barry Brodd's former PD in Santa Rosa, CA distancing itself from his trial testimony w/ this statement on city website:
"Mr. Brodd has not been employed by the department since 2004. His comments do not reflect the values and beliefs of the Santa Rosa PD."
- Chief Rainer Navarro

link: https://twitter.com/PaulBlume_FOX9/status/1382138469728735232

I used to live in Santa Rosa!!! :o

TwistedMysteryWriter said:
snipped....
He sees the officers, one of which is aiming a gun at him. What a thing to get woken up to!

Personally I have had a gun drawn on - I was sleeping & my window was open right above me. The LE were looking for my neighbor - who they thought had come inside my house. He did... but the officer wakes me up with a gun pointed at my head!!! Scary *advertiser censored*!!!

@Chelly - hope your mouth feels better today!

CrimeAway said:
snipped by me...
IMO, the state lost some momentum with the sheer number of witnesses that they called. I read that it was 33 (!), but since I don't have the source to hand, take that as MOO.

Actually a total of 38 witnesses by the State.

Tippy Lynn said:
snipped by me....
ETA: As of now, I'm going with Second-degree manslaughter. (subject to change)

That's what I'm thinking right now - subject to change... :)

Do we need a poll on "how long" the jury will be deliberating?

@JerseyGirl - for some reason I'm not getting "alerted" when you tag me - that has happened the last 3 days. So I've been starting to check at about 3pm my time to see IF you have opened a thread yet. :)

Oh - I took notes on the last part of where the Judge & attorneys were going over the exhibits & other stuff...

RSBM@dixiegirl1035 If Thao said he called in a EMS Code 3 because of the crowd in he BCA interview, he is a liar. JMO

Well then, we'll just to have to queue it up to 1:12:30 for ALLLLLLLLL to make that decision on whether Thao LIED, or for polite talks, he misremembered. :p:D;)

Did he, or did he not state he did it due to "hostile crowd". And for those that have more than one minute to listen to, back it up a bit to see even more shockers. MOO

NOTE: Below is the transcription on YouTube/WaPo, not mine. I'm too lazy right this moment

72:31
escalating the act a little bit yeah
72:34
okay
72:36
um so then the decision is made to have
72:39
ems come
72:40
step it up to code three yeah at some
72:42
point
72:45
i asked uh
72:50
chronology i don't recall exactly where
72:52
it's at but i
72:53
i i do remember asking elaine uh that
72:56
ambulance coming and and what

72:59

what uh code and tony was two and then

73:02

73:03

uh wanted to pair code three because the

73:07

the the environment that was occurring

73:09

in the hostile

73:10

crowd
and okay did the code three
73:12
response have anything to do with mr
73:14
floyd's
73:15
change in disposition
73:21
[Music]
73:23
it's i don't recall
73:30
the i guess the the events of uh
73:35
you know when i i believe when i was
73:38
talking to
73:39
to uh lane i believe that uh
73:42
floyd was still uh
73:46
uh a lot and and talking did you observe
73:49
though a change in his demeanor from
73:51
when you first got there until the
73:52
paramedics got there
73:54
um oh it's the majority of time i wasn't
73:56
looking at floyd
73:58
right i'm just primarily focused on the
74:01
crowd the crowd
74:02
and and uh the traffic
74:05
was the crowd letting you know that
74:07
there was a change in mr floyd's
74:09
yes disposition what were they telling
74:11
you uh
74:12
they're saying that he was moving on
74:16
do you have any concerns about that uh
74:19
not the crowd but mr floyd um
74:22
i would uh i was concerned with the
74:25
crowd i mean i would hope that
74:27
the other officers would do their job

Last edited:
Well then, we'll just to have to queue it up to 1:12:30 for ALLLLLLLLL to make that decision on whether Thao LIED, or for polite talks, he misremembered. :p:D;)

Did he, or did he not state he did it due to "hostile crowd". And for those that have more than one minute to listen to, back it up a bit to see even more shockers. MOO

NOTE: Below is the transcription on YouTube/WaPo, not mine. I'm too lazy right this moment

72:31
escalating the act a little bit yeah
72:34
okay
72:36
um so then the decision is made to have
72:39
ems come
72:40
step it up to code three yeah at some
72:42
point
72:45
i asked uh
72:50
chronology i don't recall exactly where
72:52
it's at but i
72:53
i i do remember asking elaine uh that
72:56
ambulance coming and and what

72:59

what uh code and tony was two and then

73:02

73:03

uh wanted to pair code three because the

73:07

the the environment that was occurring

73:09

in the hostile

73:10

crowd
and okay did the code three
73:12
response have anything to do with mr
73:14
floyd's
73:15
change in disposition
73:21
[Music]
73:23
it's i don't recall
73:30
the i guess the the events of uh
73:35
you know when i i believe when i was
73:38
talking to
73:39
to uh lane i believe that uh
73:42
floyd was still uh
73:46
uh a lot and and talking did you observe
73:49
though a change in his demeanor from
73:51
when you first got there until the
73:52
paramedics got there
73:54
um oh it's the majority of time i wasn't
73:56
looking at floyd
73:58
right i'm just primarily focused on the
74:01
crowd the crowd
74:02
and and uh the traffic
74:05
was the crowd letting you know that
74:07
there was a change in mr floyd's
74:09
yes disposition what were they telling
74:11
you uh
74:12
they're saying that he was moving on
74:16
do you have any concerns about that uh
74:19
not the crowd but mr floyd um
74:22
i would uh i was concerned with the
74:25
crowd i mean i would hope that
74:27
the other officers would do their job
I think all of the officers were in defensive mode as soon as they realized Floyd had died during the course of the arrest. Thao sat there in his interview and claimed he wasn't aware that Floyd was in distress because it "wasn't his job."

Both Chauvin and Lane failed to report any mention of kneeling on Floyd's neck in the hours after he died. Even when Chauvin reported the incident to his supervisor he never mentioned using his knee on his neck and for how long. This shows consciousness of guilt. He knew he had used unauthorized force.

Lane had several opportunities to tell paramedics they had been kneeling on his neck and back but he never once mentioned it. Yet he admitted Floyd was only fighting them for about a "minute and a half," while Chauvin claimed he had been "fighting them the whole time."

It just goes to show Chauvin's state of mind that night. His only concern was about covering himself. Imo

I think all of the officers were in defensive mode as soon as they realized Floyd had died during the course of the arrest. Thao sat there in his interview and claimed he wasn't aware that Floyd was in distress because it "wasn't his job."

Both Chauvin and Lane failed to report any mention of kneeling on Floyd's neck in the hours after he died. Even when Chauvin reported the incident to his supervisor he never mentioned using his knee on his neck and for how long. This shows consciousness of guilt. He knew he had used unauthorized force.

Lane had several opportunities to tell paramedics they had been kneeling on his neck and back but he never once mentioned it. Yet he admitted Floyd was only fighting them for about a "minute and a half," while Chauvin claimed he had been "fighting them the whole time."

It just goes to show Chauvin's state of mind that night. His only concern was about covering himself. Imo

I don't want to watch the entire thing again, but I would guesstimate it's about 4 times at least where he said "not my job". SMDH We know what his defense it as he's already been coached to say such.

I personally believe officers should actually be held to a higher standard because they're entrusted with public safety. I think when that trust is violated, the officer(s) involved need to be held accountable - every time - without fail or favor.

JMO

I personally believe officers should actually be held to a higher standard because they're entrusted with public safety. I think when that trust is violated, the officer(s) involved need to be held accountable - every time - without fail or favor.

JMO

Not to mention that they are paid with our taxes. They, and other people paid with our taxes, are technically 'public servants'. They should not be a law unto themselves.

Talking heads on court tv saying one of the pool reporters overhead defense being asked if the next witness is in town. And they replied yes he is. So maybe it’s not Chauvin tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member