George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin General Discussion Thread 9 (For Friday)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Asking for manslaughter if not outright dismissal apparently. IMHO

This is one case where the motion is actually pretty relevant. But it's not going to happen. I just don't think judges do it.

In my previous years as a DV victim's advocate, and in my subsequent years as a trial watcher, I've only seen one trial case where a judge administered a JOA (it was a DV trial, and not a 2nd degree murder trial).

A judge (an elected public official) does not want to be held responsible for the verdict in a jury trial. IME, a judge would prefer that the jury delivers the verdict.

Having said that, I believe O'Mara has made a good argument for a JOA in this case. But I still doubt that Judge Nelson will rule in the defendant's favor.

Is GZ ambidextrous? He appears to be left handed when writing notes in the courtroom, but shoots right?

Per UT video.

imo

Since Detective Serino, the investigating officer, has been mentioned a few times today, I will offer my opinion of his testimony.

The defense was able to ask Serino some remarkable questions, such as "did you believe George Zimmerman?" Answer: "Yes."

The next day, the prosecution asked for the testimony to be stricken. The judge, who should have told the prosecution it was too late, ruled for the prosecution. She then REPLAYED ALL THE AUDIO OF THE OFFICER GIVING THAT OPINION before telling the jury to disregard it.

Thus taking damaging testimony for the prosecution and highlighting it as strongly as possible.

The prosecution also played statements by Zimmerman allowing him to get his story before the jury without being cross-examined. They thought this would show "inconsistencies" in his story. Actually, the different versions were very consistent.

On Tuesday, the prosecution put up an out of county coroner who didn't actually conduct the autopsy. He denied seeing injuries on Zimmerman in photos that the rest of the world could easily see.

Considering the ME's testimony today, we can see why the state called someone who didn't do the autopsy.

Again, IMO this trial should have never taken place.

What I found to be incredibly sad was that someone, most probably GZ, was yelling for help as he said, no one came to help him. I don't think it was because they didn't want to help, but more so that they were afraid to help. It is more of a referendum on the status of our society today. Personally, I don't know what I could have done other than to call the police as the neighbors did.

I was discussing this trial with a woman who lives in FL, and she said she would have gone out no problem, with her .38 aimed and ready to fire. She would have no problem doing that. I don't own a gun, and I am chagrined to say that I would have been afraid to render assistance, when someone was yelling for help.

Pretty airtight argument. Other than cussing, where is the spite/ill will/hatred? It can't be instantaneous. imo

In my previous years as a DV victim's advocate, and in my subsequent years as a trial watcher, I've only seen one trial case where a judge administered a JOA (it was a DV trial, and not a 2nd degree murder trial).

A judge (an elected public official) does not want to be held responsible for the verdict. IME, a judge would prefer that the jury delivers the verdict.

Having said that, I believe O'Mara has made a good argument for a JOA in this case. But I still doubt that Judge Nelson will rule in the defendant's favor.

Yeah like I said, and I guess I should qualify it this time since the only trials I've ever followed were murder trials, but this is one case that I've seen where this argument is actually relevant. The state has nowhere near proved their case.

What a blatant pair of crooks. IMO Hope her trial isn't another sham the public have to pay for.

I found it to be an extremely important detail as I have formed an opinion about what type of man GZ is...

Yeah like I said, and I guess I should qualify it this time since the only trials I've ever followed were murder trials, but this is one case that I've seen where this argument is actually relevant. The state has nowhere near proved their case.

I must say that I agree.

Do you think GZ knew or heard what the term "stand your ground" means before the shooting? IMO

The Stand Your Ground law doesn't apply to this case. The defense is arguing straight self-defense.

The first time I saw the video was in this trial and I agree Trayvon was acting odd. Good point.

I will say if I were standing behind Trayvon that day in an otherwise empty convenience store I would have been getting a bit nervous. Baggie jeans and an oversized hoodie with the hood up, taking a long time to pay for his purchase, etc...

Yes, I profile. In the area I used to live in there were numerous robberies and the robbers often wore that attire. Wearing that attire with the HOOD UP inside stores intentionally portrays a certain image just as when I get dressed up in business attire I portray a different image. Clothing isn't random, we all dress in the manner that reflects how we want to be perceived. IMO.

TH's* continue to express disbelief over ME and that prosecution didn't end with TM's mom

*HLN

Is GZ ambidextrous? He appears to be left handed when writing notes in the courtroom, but shoots right?

Per UT video.

imo

Jodi does the same thing in court.... I wonder if it is to show that the gun was holstered on his left side which would have been Trayvon's right side...

Why are they asking for manslaughter?

I think the tactic is so that if in the case that they can't the charges thrown out it gives the jury a lesser charge to consider other than murder. So if by chance the jury is thinking Zimmerman should be charged with something, they won't have the opportunity to even consider murder or a compromise. They will have only two choices: manslaughter or acquittal.

I don't think the judge will do it but I think she should. This should probably have been a manslaughter case from the get go.

What I found to be incredibly sad was that someone, most probably GZ, was yelling for help as he said, no one came to help him. I don't think it was because they didn't want to help, but more so that they were afraid to help. It is more of a referendum on the status of our society today. Personally, I don't know what I could have done other than to call the police as the neighbors did.

I was discussing this trial with a woman who lives in FL, and she said she would have gone out no problem, with her .38 aimed and ready to fire. She would have no problem doing that. I don't own a gun, and I am chagrined to say that I would have been afraid to render assistance, when someone was yelling for help.

Yes, and if she had, she would probably be where GZ is now. It's unfortunate the amount of violence in our society, equally unfortunate that guns have been vilified as they have been IMO.

The community GZ was dedicated to failed him miserably. The people that sat by cowering should be ashamed. imo.

I wonder if the ME will watch all the shows tonight to see the reaction to his testimony.

Also when he stated that if anyone had put evidence in a plastic bag, then would yhey would be fired immediately, I thought "that is what is going to happen to you"

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member