Georgia deputies fatally shoot CNN security guard as he tried to help distressed son

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You are allowed to run away from a crazy man with a bat. But the cops were called there to stop the guy with the bat. Do you want the cops to run from him?

I'd like the cops to do the job that they are paid and trained to do, just like anyone else who is paid by taxpayers to do a job that they are not forced to do, but choose to do.

These strawman arguments/questions are never helpful. Someone on the other side of the argument could oversimplify things too: Cops can shoot people if they feel the need to do so. Do you want the cops to shoot you?

From the first 911 call:

I haven't read anything about who the third man is though.

^IMO this doesn't sound like the description of a struggle.

Some accounts read like they were struggling for the gun and that's why the officer shot, others make it sound like he intentionally pointed it at the officers, and some say Bias put the weapon down as he was told but when his dad picked it up a struggle began.

Who knows. :(

This is an incredibly sad story no matter what the truth may be.

But if I was in close proximity to anyone who was struggling with someone else trying to obtain their firearm, I certainly would know it could be a very dangerous situation. I would be scared to death it could go off during the struggle and shoot me while the gun isn't secured. I don't doubt that during the struggle the gun may have been positioned toward the officer.

If the dad talked his son into putting his firearm down then why was he having to struggle to get the gun from him in the first place? It sounds like his son did not want to put his weapon down. But maybe I missed that part of the story.

If he was struggling with his dad because he took his weapon it sounds like to me he didn't want his dad to take his weapon.

IMO

You are allowed to run away from a crazy man with a bat. But the cops were called there to stop the guy with the bat. Do you want the cops to run from him?

The man with the bat was Quintonia LeGrier in Chicago. Different person, different circumstances.

I'd like the cops to do the job that they are paid and trained to do, just like anyone else who is paid by taxpayers to do a job that they are not forced to do, but choose to do.

These strawman arguments/questions are never helpful. Someone on the other side of the argument could oversimplify things too: Cops can shoot people if they feel the need to do so. Do you want the cops to shoot you?

Agree - what's with the continuous boo-hoo? Always chose an office job myself - never asked anyone to feel sorry for me.

This is an incredibly sad story no matter what the truth may be.

But if I was in close proximity to anyone who was struggling with someone else trying to obtain their firearm, I certainly would know it could be a very dangerous situation. I would be scared to death it could go off during the struggle and shoot me while the gun isn't secured. I don't doubt that during the struggle the gun may have been positioned toward the officer.

If the dad talked his son into putting his firearm down then why was he having to struggle to get the gun from him in the first place? It sounds like his son did not want to put his weapon down. But maybe I missed that part of the story.

If he was struggling with his dad because he took his weapon it sounds like to me he didn't want his dad to take his weapon.

IMO

One of the accounts was that father talked son into putting weapon on vehicle. Police moved in to taser the son. Son reached for gun and father swatted it off the vehicle. IMO

"If they feel the need to" is awfully subjective, isn't it? It could mean anything from "I was pointing a loaded weapon at an officer" to "I was reaching for my wallet."

I think changing the question to shooting a loved one might give it even more weight - "Do you want the police to shoot your son?"

"If they feel the need to" is awfully subjective, isn't it? It could mean anything from "I was pointing a loaded weapon at an officer" to "I was reaching for my wallet."

I think changing the question to shooting a loved one might give it even more weight - "Do you want the police to shoot your son?"

Chuckles - have felt 'the need' once or twice in my lifetime - never carried through with it though.

Nice avatar. I'm just noticing. Happy new years.

This are stats for 2014. No one really seems to care all that much about how many police officers are assaulted each year.

While there are other professions held here in the states which results in more deaths per year, I highly doubt any other profession is assaulted this many times a year while trying to do their job.

FBI: 76 Law Enforcement Officers Killed in Line of Duty Last Year; 49,851 Assaulted

The FBI says assailants used personal weapons (hands, fists, feet, etc.) in 79.8 percent of the incidents; firearms in 4.5 percent of incidents; and knives or other cutting instruments in 1.8 percent of the incidents. (Other weapons were used in 13.9 percent of assaults.)

The report does not provide a racial breakdown of the assaulted officers or of the known suspects.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...rs-killed-line-duty-last-year-49851-assaulted

A statement released by the Georgia Bureau of Investigations offers a third version of events — stating that the father and son struggled over the gun, and that it was then that officers attempted to use a stun gun on the younger man.

“As the fight continued between Bias and Bobby, the handgun was pointed at the deputies, at which point one of the deputy fired, striking and killing Bobby,” the GBI said in the statement.

I can understand why Bobby fought with his son over the gun but I feel that it was not the right thing to do. With the gun being pointed at individuals nearby anyone could have been shot and killed.

Bobby should have backed off and let the police handle the situation. If he had, maybe no one would have been hurt.

JMO

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-he-was-attempting-to-help-his-deranged-son/

This are stats for 2014. No one really seems to care all that much about how many police officers are assaulted each year.

While there are other professions held here in the states which results in more deaths per year, I highly doubt any other profession is assaulted this many times a year while trying to do their job.

FBI: 76 Law Enforcement Officers Killed in Line of Duty Last Year; 49,851 Assaulted

The FBI says assailants used personal weapons (hands, fists, feet, etc.) in 79.8 percent of the incidents; firearms in 4.5 percent of incidents; and knives or other cutting instruments in 1.8 percent of the incidents. (Other weapons were used in 13.9 percent of assaults.)

The report does not provide a racial breakdown of the assaulted officers or of the known suspects.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...rs-killed-line-duty-last-year-49851-assaulted

<modsnip>here is a thread about how many officers died on duty in 2015:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?297550-Fewer-officers-slain-on-duty-this-year

(2015 was one of the safest for law enforcement in the last 65 years.)

I can understand why Bobby fought with his son over the gun but I feel that it was not the right thing to do. With the gun being pointed at individuals nearby anyone could have been shot and killed.

Bobby should have backed off and let the police handle the situation. If he had, maybe no one would have been hurt.

JMO

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-he-was-attempting-to-help-his-deranged-son/

Jmo. If you tried to help downgrade a situation. Then you should not be killed. Jmo

Jmo. If you tried to help downgrade a situation. Then you should not be killed. Jmo

I feel that his death was unfortunate but avoidable. He should have not gotten that close to his son and the gun.

Bobby's intentions were good, the execution was poor. JMO

JMO

Maybe if Bobby could do it over again he would agree - in the moment though, imo, Bobby wanted to prevent his son from being shot by a cop.

Fwiw, I may have done what Bobby did in the moment given the family history. Guess everyone should think twice in the future - you or your child if cops are on the way.

All jmo.

Maybe if Bobby could do it over again he would agree - in the moment though, imo, Bobby wanted to prevent his son from being shot by a cop.

Fwiw, I may have done what Bobby did in the moment given the family history. Guess everyone should think twice in the future - you or your child if cops are on the way.

All jmo.

I'm sure that Bobby was motivated by the desire for a peaceful outcome to the situation.

He put himself in a very dangerous situation seeking that outcome. And that's what led to his death. JMO

<modsnip>here is a thread about how many officers died on duty in 2015:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?297550-Fewer-officers-slain-on-duty-this-year

(2015 was one of the safest for law enforcement in the last 65 years.)
https://www.odmp.org/search/year/2015

well, that is debatable:

Line of Duty Deaths: 129

9/11 related illness: 6
Accidental: 2
Aircraft accident: 1
Assault: 3

Automobile accident: 28
Bomb: 6
Duty related illness: 2
Fall: 1
Gunfire: 39

Gunfire (Accidental): 2
Heart attack: 18
Motorcycle accident: 4
Struck by vehicle: 5
Vehicle pursuit: 5
Vehicular assault: 7

That^^^ does not look like a very safe job to me.

Yeah, but the cops have GUNS. And if they don't shoot people, that is a waste of the taxpayers' money. Gosh.

It's heartbreaking to hear someone's life discussed in tax dollars, or any dollars, as if we can judge people and determine the value of their lives. :(

JMO

It's heartbreaking to hear someone's life discussed in tax dollars, or any dollars, as if we can judge people and determine the value of their lives. :(

JMO

I'm sorry.

I just keep seeing the waste of taxpayer dollars as a reason not to re-assess bad police policy.

I do think it is sad, sorry for being flippant. It really is not a joking matter.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheeseDreams
Back