Georgia deputies fatally shoot CNN security guard as he tried to help distressed son

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I feel that his death was unfortunate but avoidable. He should have not gotten that close to his son and the gun.

Bobby's intentions were good, the execution was poor. JMO

Execution? Interesting choice of words.

Execution? Interesting choice of words.

I thought some may think so before I posted but decided not to change it because it fit the point I was trying to make.

To make things clear, I don't feel that LE executed Mr. Daniels. His actions were not the best way to meet his goals.

His son could have been the one shot and killed because of his attempts to get control of the gun. Not a wise move IMO.

Let's get back on track with discussing this case ... not pizza drivers, plumbers, and certainly not each other. As in other threads, stop the generalized bashing of law enforcement. If you don't like a post, alert or scroll & roll. If you can't post in a civil, non-caustic fashion, don't post. Also, do not respond to an offensive post or a TOS violation ... otherwise your post bites the dust too.

:tyou:

I see a huge problem here - LE are supposed to "take in" mentally ill persons that their families cannot handle, mentally ill persons that often refuse to take their meds. If they don't take their meds they become dangerous to everyone. Are LE supposed to subject themselves to dangers the families cannot handle? Is that what they get paid for? From what I'm hearing, I suppose it is. "That's their job", say some, but is their "job" to wait and see if they will get killed by the mentally ill person wielding the gun, knife, bat, whatever? Or, is their job to diffuse the situation?

Diffusing the situation may entail "talking them down", which probably will not work. Often a taser is used, but just as often, it does no good. What now? Standing their and be attacked, beaten, killed? What are the options? Are there any others?

Quite frankly, anyone who is mentally ill and goes off their meds is NOT ready to be in society. Whenever that happens I support LE. Sorry, but I would rather see the mentally ill taken out than a police officer killed because someone could not help themselves. We live in a sick society and it's no wonder we have these problems, in my opinion.

So far, no one has reported that anyone intentionally pointed a gun at LE. A struggle was in progress during what was reported as a hostage taking incident. LE could not have known who the players were when they arrived and the struggle was in progress.
They fired anyway - hoping for the best? They couldn't take cover until they knew who was who?
Fwiw, find the term 'a domestic' rather condescending regardless of the source. Imo, it diminishes an assault - a slang term giving less weight to the event. The one and only time I had to report an assault, the cop asked if it was 'a domestic'. I had to ask wtf is a domestic - I'm reporting an assault here. Only then was it viewed and treated as an assault. Can't believe the term is still prominent.

"...no one has reported that anyone intentionally pointed a gun at LE...." (<---bbm)

I have not read all links in this thread, but US state statutes I've read re LEO use of force do not require an LEO, before using firearm/deadly weapon in defense of self or others, against a person, to determine that person is intentionally pointing a gun (or intentionally using deadly force) at LEO.

If a statute applicable to this case restrictsa LEO's use of firearm/deadly force to only those intentionally pointing a weapon at LEO, pls post link to statute and relevant verbatim quote from statute.Thx in adv.

Not sure whether or how 'domestic' issue is relevant here but might have missed it. Or may be diff in countries other than the US.

JM2cts.

911 audio raises new questions about Douglas police shooting

The mystery that remains largely involves law enforcement&#8217;s account of what led up to the fatal discharge. Their version is further muddied by a second caller to 911, an eventual witness to the deadly encounter.

The second caller said two people &#8212; one of them sporting &#8220;dreads&#8221; and believed to be Bias Daniels &#8212; were banging on his door. The witness said his brother was hiding inside, fearing for his life.

Within a minute of his call he spots a white four-door sedan driven by another man, Bobby Daniels, who has pulled alongside the black SUV belonging to Bias. At the time, the witness tells the dispatcher, Bias is outside his front door.

Stewart notes that within 37 seconds, the second caller sees the deputies arrive and reports shots being fired.

As for Daniels&#8217; family and their lawyer, &#8220;We&#8217;re just confused,&#8221; Stewart said.

I'm confused about why a deputy would put the gun on the hood of the car while cuffing Bias, especially if he knew there was another person in the car. I think he would have handed it to another officer while putting the cuffs on. And especially if they had to use the Taser. They're going to leave a man they believed was involved in a kidnapping with access to a weapon, while struggling with another suspect? I mean, maybe they did but it doesn't seem like the smartest move.

At least they're no longer saying he got out of the car, grabbed the weapon and pointed it at them.

JMO

Wait it was the deputy's gun that wasn't secured??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee
Back