Germanwings Airbus crash 24 March #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand how anyone can consider this a "suicide". It is NOT just a suicide, he intentionally killed 150 people and ignored the yelling of his co-pilot.

Pilots are supposed to be vetted to assure they are not lunatics and that they are not flying while drunk/high.

There has to be more to this story.

Pilot suicide is the cause of the crash. The crime is Murder suicide. Unless they find more evidence that proves terrorism, It sounds like a mental break of some kind.

Lufthansa said that its cockpit doors can be opened from the outside with a code, in line with regulations introduced after the Sept. 11 attacks. However, the code system can be blocked from inside the cockpit, according to an Airbus promotional video posted online and confirmed by the planemaker.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/26/us-france-crash-idUSKBN0MK2U020150326

I got to say that if I was a person involved in this locked door and a code to reenter can be blocked from inside I would never sign off on that.

28, intelligent, unmarried, no children, went to a tough prep school, flew only about 35 hours a month for a budget airline …. maybe he wasn’t as happy as people thought, or getting the recognition or opportunities he felt he deserved. And now everyone knows his name.

:dunno:

We fly across the Atlantic every 2-3 months and the 9 hour flight is difficult for a OCD phobia worrywort,I do everything to keep myself calm.I will need serious meds this time.
I bet everyone flying today is eyeing the pilots.I feel for all the plots and crew flying this week.

I so agree with you. Im scared to fly,but i do and guess what? Im about to fly again. I had a ticket when the malaysia airline went down. I was a mess the whole time. moo

I mean putting a flight attnedent in a pilots seat on todays complicated aircraft seems somewhat useless IMO what could they do?

Presumably they would summon the other pilot if the one in the *advertiser censored* pit drops dead, they could also open the *advertiser censored* pit door from the inside.

I got to say that if I was a person involved in this locked door and a code to reenter can be blocked from inside I would never sign off on that.

No doubt it is an anti-terrorism measure put in place after 9/11.

Al Queda has to be having a good laugh over it too.

just food for thought........breathing on the audio we conclude not incapacated, but............................contrary to most images of suicide, the belief that most are impulsive is untrue. Unnless psycotic, drugs, alcohol most folks who successfully complete suicide have battled not doing so for a very long time. That is why there is typically serenity once the final decision has been made.

You all would be amazed, when concerned about a pt , and begain a sucidality evaluation you would be surprised at the plans. How will you kill yourself? I have been stashing my meds. Where will you kill yourslef? I want to be sitting in my blue chair. What time of day ? I would like to go in the morning? What has stopped your from doing so? My husband. HOw many pills have you stashed? 48 Are you scared? No, not really I just hope it is peaceful. What do you think your husband will feel? Probably sad, but I am confident he will go on - he will be better off without me really. How long have you been thinking about this ? about 4 years etc etc

Previous research and popular conceptualizations of suicide have posited that many suicides are the result of impulsive, “on a whim” decisions. However, recent research demonstrates that most suicides are not attempted impulsively, and in fact involve a plan. ....recent research has indicated that most suicides are planned,

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2597102/

What a piece of human garbage to just sit there listening to the pleas for minutes and still be able to go through with it.

That's very true, CARIIS. When one decides to die there in fact can be an equanimity, an almost preternatural calmness.

The rest is silence.

What a piece of human garbage to just sit there listening to the pleas for minutes and still be able to go through with it.

I wondered if he stood there smiling and greeted the passengers as they boarded for take off.

Previous research and popular conceptualizations of suicide have posited that many suicides are the result of impulsive, “on a whim” decisions. However, recent research demonstrates that most suicides are not attempted impulsively, and in fact involve a plan. ....recent research has indicated that most suicides are planned,

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2597102/

I think it is important to state most "successful" suicides are planned. A lot of the "on a whim" suicide attempts fail miserably so those don't count.

Wow just waking up to these latest developments. Speechless. If it hadn't been this particular flight it would have been another one that this F/O was on. He seized on the minuscule chance that the Cap't would have left the FD for a lavatory break on this particular flight.
I'll have to go back and see the link but they are saying he only averaged 35 hours/month of flying time recently? That's very low. Wonder if he was on reserve and not making his hours due to limited flight availability or if he was actively choosing to work low hours per month? I wonder if they are guaranteed a certain minimum of paid hours regardless of the flying hours they actually perform. Because 35 hours/month equals a very very low paycheque especially for a F/O hired only 18 months ago at bottom pay scale. Financial stress? On reduced hours due to medical issues? ??? So many questions.

IMO if this was a murder suicide his normal breathing is well "normal" He had made a decision and was just waiting for a flight where the opportunity arose. Common for folks who are close to those who do commit suicide to say they appeared to be doing well. The sense of calm comes from making a decision. A way out.

If this was an act of Terror could the slow descent simply be to leave us wondering? The purpose? Typically we see a violent and sudden act with the aircraft. Unless connections can be made to a terror group will we just be left wondering? Just some points I'm pondering.

Isn't it also 'not normal' for the FD to be left with one person in it? I thought I'd read that if a pilot steps out, someone else has to step in? [emoji53]

Thgey just mentioned on BBC News that for Lufthansa the rules allow a pilot to be left alone so long as it is just for a short period (someone popping to the loo for instance). I dare say they will now be revisiting and changing those rules.

If Lufthansa allow it, I would suspect that there are other airlines which do as well - they will all be digging out their SOPs and revising them as we post I would have thought.

Thgey just mentioned on BBC News that for Lufthansa the rules allow a pilot to be left alone so long as it is just for a short period (someone popping to the loo for instance). I dare say they will now be revisiting and changing those rules.

If Lufthansa allow it, I would suspect that there are other airlines which do as well - they will all be digging
out their SOPs and revising them as we post I would have thought.

Yes absolutely. I think there will be revisions made worldwide. Most countries including Canada do not have that particular SOP in place whereby a FA has to replace the pilot leaving the flight deck.

There is a press conference from Germany right now the German Transport Minister said the airline does constantly analyse the mental health of pilots as part of their security protocol. It is standard procedure with airlines.

It's just so heartbreaking. The BBC is reporting that the sounds of passengers screaming can be heard just before the crash.

I can't imagine what those passengers went through. I have boundless sympathy for their families, hearing that must be unspeakably awful. I also have sympathy for the family of the pilot who did this, they must feel absolutely dreadful - not only have they lost a loved one as well, but to know that he did it on purpose, and took 149 people with him must be hard to take.

FBI agents based in France, Germany and Spain are looking through intelligence sources and cross referencing the passenger manifest of Germanwings Flight 9525, two senior law enforcement officials said. So far, their search hasn't turned up anything that "stands out" or anything linking the passengers to criminal activity, according to one official.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/03/25/europe/germanwings-crash-main/

None of the family members were permitted access on the mountain, locally known as the Massif des Trois Eveches. which is largely inaccessible except by helicopter. There is a 10km exclusion zone, protected by hundreds of police, surrounding the site.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...emains-a-mystery/story-e6frg6so-1227278913718

I am not saying this to be deliberately gruesome, but I do not think it would be right to let the relatives anywhere near the crash site however much they feel they just have to go there.

The plane flew into the mountain at over 700km and hour - it was smashed to smithereens - I suspect recovery and identification of the poor victims is going to be something akin to the twin towers in in some respects.

Dreadful, dreadful business. The fact that they knew what was happening (at least near the end) adds to the horror for their poor families and friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csiapril77