Germany/Portugal - Christian Brueckner, 27 @ time of 1st crime (2004), charged with sexual assault crimes, Praia de Rocha, Portugal. #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Isolate them all individually then instead of treating them as
a collective sequence of events .Two things that have come out so far in the current trial written by CB’s own hand.

CB writings detailing his fantasies matching the black clad rapist and choice of words used in the brutal assault of HaB and CB photographed in the same block weeks earlier .

CB letter asking his girlfriend to rid the Yellow House of video and video recording equipment.

Video evidence viewed by HB and MS which led to the investigation/conviction of CB in the DM case initiated by the BKA and then matched to a cold case in the PJ files.The concealment of CSA hidden beneath the body of his dead dog to deter anybody potentially finding but giving CB the opportunity if needed to exhume his own dog.
There is a current factoid that none of this happened and it is all a dastardly plot against an innocent man. The truth is though that the chief public prosecutor quoted from them and made parallels with the aggravated rape endured by HB. So they do exist including
  • the black mask with slits cut in it
  • the breakfast bar with the metal legs to which she was tied
  • the beatings
  • the vicious rapes
  • described by the the forensic psychiatrist as 'core fantasies, the rituals of tormenting and humiliating and getting a kick out of the suffering of the victims'.
He even wrote a depraved book for children about children.

The public prosecutor noted the similarity in all the rapes he was being charged with, CB raped the woman in a variety of ways,
  • they were tied up
  • they were humiliated
  • they were scared
  • they had whips used upon them to cause pain
Remember that DM said he enjoyed what he was doing to her while she was terrified for her life - just as HB was.

The disturbing thing about it all is that
Snip
In July the prosecution had suffered a devastating blow when the current judge ruled that the evidence against Brueckner in relation to these sex charges was 'insufficient', which was widely interpreted as a strong indication that he could be acquitted.
One hopes she has given it a lot more thought since then.

How could the prosecutors take the crime of the young German girl (one witness no physical evidence) to trial ahead of the MM crime of a photo or video was found in the possession of CB?

iirc there were 3 witnesses originally , MS , HeB and MT . The prosecution have now dropped this due to differences in MS statement . If these trials didn’t happen and only the MM case being charged. It is my opinion either
the case would not make court or it could not be proved CB took the photo . However although the current trial may not succeed in convictions the circumstantial evidence and corroborating evidence should not be overlooked . These are extremely cold cases that occurred in another country where little to no evidence was secured and an alleged suspect who has had since 2013 at the latest to cover his tracks .

From your post 553.

That’s relevant to the HaB assault not MM (of which we know nothing ), matches numerous elements , black clad and masked , filmed , tied by their feet , same words used to scare HaB .

My deduction of photo or video evidence is the only possible piece of arguable evidence that makes the BKA 100% convinced MM is deceased and CB is the perpetrator. Anything less arguable and concrete would have resulted in charges years ago. It could well be these current charges in the trial were put forward to provide insight and background detail into the mindset of CB before and after May 3 2007 .

There is an interesting paywall article, this details the reasons behind the not hearing of the evidence ie: illegal raid of the factory and illegal gathering of the hard drives.

I understand your position but singly on its own it could be argued that he wasn’t the origin of the picture or video and that he was sent it or found it on the dark web .My position is taking the collective evidence that the prosecution insist that he films his assaults confirmed by HaB , MS and HeB with the latter responsible for a successful cold case conviction in the brutal assault of DM whom was left with a broken jaw.

Sure that could be argued, which is why you'd need other evidence as well.

But given the child disappeared without a trace years ago, if some bad dude then turns up with the victims photo years later - i think you'd get a conviction unless there was a solid explanation beyond mere handwaving ... "i downloaded it sometime"

That’s relevant to the HaB assault not MM (of which we know nothing ), matches numerous elements , black clad and masked , filmed , tied by their feet , same words used to scare HaB .

My deduction of photo or video evidence is the only possible piece of arguable evidence that makes the BKA 100% convinced MM is deceased and CB is the perpetrator. Anything less arguable and concrete would have resulted in charges years ago. It could well be these current charges in the trial were put forward to provide insight and background detail into the mindset of CB before and after May 3 2007 .

I think the scenario is more likely to be what we've seen in the rape cases. Someone claims to have seen evidence but now they don't have it. This happens all the time with human sources.

That wouldn’t warrant concrete evidence imo and
the BKA have no doubt that CB abducted and murdered MM.
I just can’t think of any other plausible evidence that leaves them so confident yet so hesitant to charge at this time.

I just can’t think of any other plausible evidence that leaves them so confident yet so hesitant to charge at this time.

I read about a US case where this exact thing happened.

A drug dealer murdered a minor associate - a waitress - and dumped the body in the boot of a car in a river. He then told a different associate he had done this. Police searched multiple quarries and tried to get the confession on a wire but were not successful. Without a body the DA didn't want to bring the case.

So police knew pretty much everything that had happened - just not which water body to look in.

Years later someone who helped dispose of the body was arrested on different charges, and told police which river it was.

There is an interesting paywall article, this details the reasons behind the not hearing of the evidence ie: illegal raid of the factory and illegal gathering of the hard drives.

Thanks for that, it's a very good read.

@mrjitty Very interesting case , though I assume a charge /conviction came upon discovery of the body ? That seems a long way away in regards to MM.
The last interview HCW gave a very stern statement regarding MM at 04.00 that imo reflects more than word of mouth .

Good points, as always. I was almost certain they’d have pictures, but given what they have in the current trial - witnesses & writings - I am 80/20 rather than 99/1.

I agree that the concrete evidence will be well beyond a witness who said they saw a video, a photo or that he confessed to them. I definitely think there’ll be writings - the detective talked about CB’s email account that was related to the murder. The German’s have non forensic material evidence - photos, videos, audio or autobiographical. In 2018 when they searched a room he was staying in, amongst the evidence were pictures from 2007.

There’s something important about audio recordings from jail. FF has been going after it hard! If it wasn’t significant he wouldn’t be going after it.

‘Absolutely clear’ it was a homicide - gives the impression that it must be pictures. HCW also said if the had a video of the act of a picture of MM with CB on camera then they wouldn’t have needed to appeal. That again points to pictures of MM’s body. The German’s have always said the have evidence of murder & have given an opinion on what likely happened post abduction, but it seems the evidence doesn’t point to that.

The arguments by the defence (echoed on the threads) will probably be around the legality of the search & that it can’t be proven that CB took the picture (if indeed there is one). The defence won’t be able to challenge the evidence, just as they haven’t in the recent cases.

My opinion

Good point about 2018 there is some difficulty in confirming where the evidence came from be it the box factory or the room raid . This would also line up with HCW quote in June 2020 when he said they found out she was dead “within the last 2 years “

Reactions: Mex
Sure that could be argued, which is why you'd need other evidence as well.

But given the child disappeared without a trace years ago, if some bad dude then turns up with the victims photo years later - i think you'd get a conviction unless there was a solid explanation beyond mere handwaving ... "i downloaded it sometime"
All evidence has to be collated and slotted into place in the scheme of things and circumstantial evidence is not the poor relation in this. Even amongst the most favourable circumstances a child abduction carried out by a stranger is very difficult for investigators to handle.

There was sufficient evidence to bring these separate charges to the court. One doubts if a single photograph would do the trick in a separate case. It will take the sum total of all the available evidence stretching back to 2007 including for time and place of the prime suspect; whose chaotic lifestyle between jail sentences makes it an almost impossible task even for him.
My opinion

I think the scenario is more likely to be what we've seen in the rape cases. Someone claims to have seen evidence but now they don't have it. This happens all the time with human sources.
There was quite a lot of material aired in Portuguese documentaries when CB's identity became known.
Journalist SF hosted a series of programmes Sexta as 9? or7?

I clearly remember seeing police photographs of the bruises and injuries sustained by DM in 2005. That was the first time I had heard of the incident. I was shocked that such sensitive investigative material was in the public domain and later on when matching up on HB's description of how insensitively she was treated by the police when her photographic evidence was being taken.

Good points, as always. I was almost certain they’d have pictures, but given what they have in the current trial - witnesses & writings - I am 80/20 rather than 99/1.

I agree that the concrete evidence will be well beyond a witness who said they saw a video, a photo or that he confessed to them. I definitely think there’ll be writings - the detective talked about CB’s email account that was related to the murder. The German’s have non forensic material evidence - photos, videos, audio or autobiographical. In 2018 when they searched a room he was staying in, amongst the evidence were pictures from 2007.

There’s something important about audio recordings from jail. FF has been going after it hard! If it wasn’t significant he wouldn’t be going after it.

‘Absolutely clear’ it was a homicide - gives the impression that it must be pictures. HCW also said if the had a video of the act of a picture of MM with CB on camera then they wouldn’t have needed to appeal. That again points to pictures of MM’s body. The German’s have always said the have evidence of murder & have given an opinion on what likely happened post abduction, but it seems the evidence doesn’t point to that.

The arguments by the defence (echoed on the threads) will probably be around the legality of the search & that it can’t be proven that CB took the picture (if indeed there is one). The defence won’t be able to challenge the evidence, just as they haven’t in the recent cases.

My opinion
As in the current case, they could challenge the reliability of a witness.
How would the prosecutor differentiate between murder, manslaughter and accidental death do you think ?

to be honest IMO it is pretty damning of the BKA

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing wonder
Back