Germany - Truck crashes into Christmas market in Berlin, 9 dead, 19 Dec 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wonderful post skibs and I think you're a brave, wonderful person. However, I do not believe the terrorists are winning. I believe each and every terrorists attack shows more and more people exactly who/what radical islam is really about. I believe eyes are being opened to the evil invited into unsuspecting countries. He who has eyes let him see. . .

I do agree, somewhat, that more and more people may be staying home, out of crowds, etc, because of the terrorists. I was invited to Europe a couple of weeks ago to see the Christmas fairs, but I declined - probably more to do with health than fear, but I also believe discretion overtook valor in that particular case. On the other hand, I constantly warn my son, living and traveling in Europe, to be careful. He promises he will but he isn't going to stop traveling or enjoying his life. The same with my children here in America. They tell me they won't stop living and enjoying themselves because of these crazies, they refuse to let them win. Maybe I'm a bit more chicken 'cause I'm too old to run.

No, I don't believe the terrorists are winning; they are waking people up and maybe arousing a desire to fight back.

:cow:

I agree, we're are winning. People are opening their eyes. Elections in our and many other countries show that people are tired of what our gov'ts are allowing to happen. The sad thing is, that in Europe, only the terrorists have the guns, not the citizens. that's the one advantage that we have.
Merkel is a joke. I don't really know how Germanys elections work, but she should be on the way out.
All MOO

Saddens my heart.

Praying for the victims and their loved ones.

PROSECUTOR: POSSIBLY MORE PERPETRATORS, EVEN A GROUP

Bild.de
http://www.bild.de/news/inland/terr...m-berliner-weihnachtsmarkt-49401702.bild.html

The truck attack on a Berlin Christmas market has put Germany in a state of shock. The terror suspect (23), who was taken into custody two kilometers away shortly after the action, denies the deed. He disputes his participation - does the police hold the wrong one?

At a press conference, General Prosecutor Peter Frank said the investigators had to "become familiar with the idea that the detainee might not be the perpetrator or belong to the perpetrator group".
The reason for the doubts: According to information obtained by BILD, no signs of gunshot residue, blood or other traces were found on the Pakistani.

It is also not certain whether there was only one or if there were possibly more perpetrators, according to BKA boss Holger Münch as well as prosecutor Frank.

According to Münch, the police are on "high alert".

BBM

All lone wolves (that I have followed in the press) sooner or later turn out not so very lonely after all.

Bild.de
http://www.bild.de/news/inland/terr...m-berliner-weihnachtsmarkt-49401702.bild.html

The truck attack on a Berlin Christmas market has put Germany in a state of shock. The terror suspect (23), who was taken into custody two kilometers away shortly after the action, denies the deed. He disputes his participation - does the police hold the wrong one?

At a press conference, General Prosecutor Peter Frank said the investigators had to "become familiar with the idea that the detainee might not be the perpetrator or belong to the perpetrator group".
The reason for the doubts: According to information obtained by BILD, no signs of gunshot residue, blood or other traces were found on the Pakistani.

It is also not certain whether there was only one or if there were possibly more perpetrators, according to BKA boss Holger Münch as well as prosecutor Frank.

BBM

All lone wolves (that I have followed in the press) sooner or later turn out not so very lonely after all.

So what if the shot to the passenger was from a police gun, and the terrorist, (driver) killed/disabled him in another way. jmo

Bild.de

BBM

Maybe the driver wasn't the one who pulled the trigger to kill the original driver. It's possible he had assistance while stealing the truck, right?

jmopinion

SIX RUN OVER BY TRUCK IDENTIFIED, ALL GERMANS. WEAPON STILL MISSING

Bild.de

Twelve people were killed in the attack on Monday evening. Six of the people who were run over by the truck have now been identified. They are all German nationals.

Also identified was the shot Polish truck driver, whose truck was kidnapped by the perpetrator.

Since the small-caliber weapon with which the driver was shot has not yet been found, the police call for great caution. "Please do not follow up any suspicious observations for your own safety - we are there to do so," the Berlin police twittered.

BBM

So what if the shot to the passenger was from a police gun, and the terrorist, (driver) killed/disabled him in another way. jmo

The Police did not fire any shots at the truck. The vehicle had come to a still stand and one person, possibly the driver had fled before the police arrived.

The attack happened within seconds.

Maybe the driver wasn't the one who pulled the trigger to kill the original driver. It's possible he had assistance while stealing the truck, right?

jmopinion

No info yet about how the truck was stolen. Or where for that matter. And did that happen in broad daylight in front of an office?
Maybe they hoped to put the blame on the Polish driver all along ~and yes, I think there were more.

The thought that /she is running about is chilling. Trucks are everywhere, and the mo seems to be to just kill the driver , get in a run over people.

It certainly is not like it would be difficult to do again.

It is understandable how a witnesses thought the wrong the thing, there has to be so much chaos right after and event like this.

From the path shown a few posts back it seems like driver was trying to get back on regular street?

Did he "stop" the vehicle or did something else stop it?

The weapon is more scary this time, I think cause it is dark. Looks bigger also. I kinda think this one would take a lot longer to build up speed, and it appears it had just come out of a turn, so maybe it was its size as opposed to speed

ISIS CALLS FOR MORE ATTACKS ON CHRISTMAS MARKETS

Bild.de
http://www.bild.de/politik/inland/t...n-auf-weihnachtsmaerkteauf-49406110.bild.html

After the death ralley of a truck in Berlin that left currently twelve dead, German-speaking ISIS members call for further similar attacks on Christmas markets.

On a private channel of the Messenger service Telegram the terrorists have been pushing for some time for "operations" following the example of the assassin in Nice.

The German-speaking ISIS jihadist, whose language is characterized by a particularly primitive lust for violence, wrote to the members of his channel only one and a half hours after the attack on the Berlin Christmas market (spelling and punctuation as in the original):

"As already announced several times, this kind of attacks, the enemy can never stop ..
You need nothing more than a vehicle, be it a truck or car .. and then a proper intention and a Kuffar crowd," With Allah, these operations leave the enemy frightened and terrorized ..

So, who is going to continue and drive into the next Christmas market
Let the Kuffar never forget this Christmas market o lions of Islam! "

B&IBM

Some were dragged 60 -80 feet CNN. No gun found at scene.

I kinda think they really do know that it is not him - they would not be dropping this bombshell (I hate Nacny!) at this point.

Kinda makes me feel like they are "bracing" the world for it.

Christmas markets apparently a super bid thing over there - here are some pics of them google images

Unlike many other cruise itineraries, The River Cruise Line visits not one, but four of Europe’s most traditional Christmas markets, starting off in Lille and finishing in Bruges so that guests can stock up on the most exquisite chocolates to help carry on the festivity at home. One particular highlight that caught the renowned newspaper’s eye was the stop-off in Maastricht, where guests can enjoy the famed Valkenburg Christmas market. Held in the atmospheric tunnels that zigzag beneath the town of Fluweelengrot, it really is an unforgettable experience.

Its also acary that the perp has had so much time free.

http://www.rivercruiseline.co.uk/articles/telegraph-names-best-christmas-market-cruise

christmas-market-c_2410893b.jpg

6591890.jpg

Late in 2014 a market was also attacked CNN

more --they are charming

dc042d4e20f3b9fb523b51d6d8d031e2.jpg

concerts, go on.

christmas-market-german.jpg

web_zurich_christmas_iceskating_wienachtsdorf_1600x900.jpg

german-christmas-market-pic-getty-images-46044537.jpg

German cops have since claimed that the truck was stolen from a construction site - though the fate of its driver was not clear.

Transport company owner Ariel Zurawski said: "We haven't heard from him since this afternoon. We don't know what happened to him.

"He's my cousin, I've known him since I was a kid. I can vouch for him."

The crash occurred in Breitscheidplatz, a major public square in the city in a chilling echo of the deadly terror attack in Nice earlier this year.

The company's transport manager, Lukasz Wasik, added that the driver had been transporting Thyssen steel products from Italy to Berlin.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/24393...ostage-or-killed-as-they-confirm-hes-missing/

"The company where he was supposed to unload the products in Berlin was not able to receive them and told him to return on Tuesday morning. They told him to wait in Berlin somewhere," Wasik said.

Ariel Zurawski, the owner of the trucking company and the victim’s cousin, was asked by German authorities to identify Urban from photos.

‘It was really clear that he was fighting for his life,’ Zurawski told Polish media.

‘His face was swollen and bloodied. Police informed me that he had suffered gunshot wounds. Despite being stabbed he was shot dead.’

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/12/20/first...et-terror-attack-named-6335443/#ixzz4TOmqClJY

http://metro.co.uk/2016/12/20/first-victim-of-berlin-christmas-market-terror-attack-named-6335443/

Zurawski said Urban, who is survived by a wife and teenage son, last had contact with his wife at 3pm local time, but that she could not talk then because she was at work. She said she would call at 4pm, but at that point he was no longer answering his phone.

Zurawski described unusual movements on the truck’s GPS at 3.45pm indicate Urban was not in control.

‘The car was started up, turned off, driven forward, then backward. As if somebody inside was learning how to drive,’ Zurawski said on TVP Info.

There was no more movement until 7.40pm, when the truck started and travelled some six miles, sometimes turning in tight spots or crossing the double line, before arriving at the Christmas market, Zurawski said.

bbm,

German cops have since claimed that the truck was stolen from a construction site - though the fate of its driver was not clear.

Transport company owner Ariel Zurawski said: "We haven't heard from him since this afternoon. We don't know what happened to him.

"He's my cousin, I've known him since I was a kid. I can vouch for him."

The crash occurred in Breitscheidplatz, a major public square in the city in a chilling echo of the deadly terror attack in Nice earlier this year.

The company's transport manager, Lukasz Wasik, added that the driver had been transporting Thyssen steel products from Italy to Berlin.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/24393...ostage-or-killed-as-they-confirm-hes-missing/

"The company where he was supposed to unload the products in Berlin was not able to receive them and told him to return on Tuesday morning. They told him to wait in Berlin somewhere," Wasik said.

Quite a coincidence that the truck happened to be available for stealing.

Sounds like the truck wasn't expected to be at that site, but was there because of a delay on the receiving end of the shipment (which is an unusual delay - usually delays are with the shipper, not receiver, in my experience...but it could happen).

So was the truck thief taking advantage of an opportunity that just happened to be there randomly because of the delay? Or was the delay set up so the truck would be there?

IDK

jmopinion

I wonder who the person is that chased the suspect for over a mile. Maybe he should have a chat with the police.

POLISH TRUCKER FORCED AT GUNPOINT TO DRIVE THE TRUCK HIMSELF?

Bild.de
http://www.bild.de/bild-plus/region...lebte-den-terror-in-berlin-49411494.bild.html

Was the Polish man forced to drive the truck himself?
According information received by Bild, the investigators can not rule out at the moment the possibility that the Polish truck driver was forced to drive at gun point. After the attack, the perpetrator would then have shot him and put him on the passenger seat.

BBM

I wonder who the person is that chased the suspect for over a mile. Maybe he should have a chat with the police.

They have his phone number, because he kept in contact with them all the while.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanMichelle
Back