Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 3 murders, July 2023 #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In a statement to Patch, Toulon said, "Mental health staff at the jail have made the determination to remove Rex Heuermann from suicide watch at this time."

"He will continue to be evaluated periodically," he said. "His housing and security protocols have not changed.”

Toulon previously told Patch that Heuermann did not have any reading material in his cell and had been reclining in his bed three out of the four times he had seen him in his rounds.

Toulon told Grace that Heuermann now has two books inside his cell and has participated in recreation. He could not say what the names of the books are.

Toulon has previously declined to say whether Heuermann is being housed in Yaphank or Riverside.

According to the Sheriff’s department, the 59-year-old defendant is being housed in a special unit with only authorized personnel granted access. The specific unit isn't being identified though.

JR has an established reputation for being an honest attorney and advocate for the victims of LISK. He's cooperated with LE and tells the truth. It may be hard for some people to hear, but its a murder investigation that was stymied for over 10 years by LE and prosecutors who couldn't resolve the case, but that another LEO from a different jurisdiction solved in one month.

OTOH, the killer's wife has hired attorneys, is suing the Suffolk County PD, isn't cooperating and is still in contact with her serial killer husband. It's hard for a wife to be in her situation, but its not going to help her to blame everyone else for her problems.

ETA: I'd also add that if LE thought perhaps that Rex's wife could help to get him to confess, provide incriminating evidence or take a plea deal to avoid a lengthy trial, they're probably wrong. These two are probably going to put up a big fight, along with their attorneys. He has 4, I think. She has 2. JMO
So does that mean JR has the right to lash out at a victim on a case he's not involved directly with? Shannon's death and how it really came about is very much disputed and he now represents the family of Shannon. Right now this is a open/ongoing investigation in to Gilgo Beach victims and not Shannon's. Shannon's death brought about the eventual discovery of all the victim's found and it's horrific that she died not knowing her purpose in what has happened since and how instrumental she was in helping find the 'killer' of at least 4 at this time.

JR's place is to sit back and watch how this investigation proceeds and stop taking such a nasty stance against a victim who is also alive but suffering right now. JMO

So does that mean JR has the right to lash out at a victim on a case he's not involved directly with? Shannon's death and how it really came about is very much disputed and he now represents the family of Shannon. Right now this is a open/ongoing investigation in to Gilgo Beach victims and not Shannon's. Shannon's death brought about the eventual discovery of all the victim's found and it's horrific that she died not knowing her purpose in what has happened since and how instrumental she was in helping find the 'killer' of at least 4 at this time.

JR's place is to sit back and watch how this investigation proceeds and stop taking such a nasty stance against a victim who is also alive but suffering right now. JMO

Ummm, you know what John Ray's place is?

Thank goodness for John Ray. There is so much icky in Suffolk County. Yet, he fights for justice persistently and reliably.

He does not have to have a GB4 client to comment. <modsnip - personalizing>

He is not lashing out. He is adding information which I would like to point out has NOT been disputed by LE (who know; they have the house surveilled). The information has not been disputed by the family's attorneys (who did take the time to refute rumors about the vault and soundproofing).

John Ray is a very important part in moving towards justice for many victims, including those he has never represented. It matters not that there does not seem to be a criminal connection between Rex and Shannan based on what we know.

MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it could possibly be near Penn Station. I think that’s where Maureen’s last call came from. LE is unable to connect RH to her yet so perhaps she might be the key. He worked in Manhattan, commuting through New York-Penn Station. I think he could have somehow incapacitated them rather quickly upon meetup considering difference in stature and body style. Did he actually greet them or was he watching and waiting for them? Stalking them like game. He had his prey selected, his weapon of choice (maybe his hands, maybe mace or taser) to incapacitate them, a lair pre-prepared, already stocked with preferred materials (burlap), a vehicle to transport (did he have his car already waiting at Penn Station or Grand Central) to capture his date, do the deed, discard her body and return home to his naive unsuspecting wife.
With MBB, I’ve considered that she met with him prior to being robbed and that somehow he came to her almost as a knight in shining armor. Offered her a ride home and instead, took her somewhere and either held her for awhile or killed her and then carefully wrapped her and left her on the OP.

Idk why serial killer is allowed “special” unit. Which synonym describes SK’s “special” unit?
  • special
    • exceptional.
    • extraordinary.
    • important.
    • memorable.
    • significant.
    • uncommon.
    • unique.
    • unusual.
    • write-in vote

It may be for his protection while at the jail, as well as to enable the staff at the jail to adequately house him and keep him protected from other inmates. JMO

JR has long acted as a legal advocate for all the LISK victims, in addition to being an attorney for Shannan's case. He's free to speak out if necessary and as an attorney who has spent many years investigating Shannon's murder as well as the murders of the other victims, he has some knowledge and experience.

<modsnip - personalizing>

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m going to use this post to ask a question.

is it true that by withholding a victim in this case. And RH isn’t convicted. The DA still has the fourth victim to prosecute him on.

is this tru

Yes. IANAL, but in the USA you can only charge someone once with a crime and bring to charges to a resolution. (Convicted or acquitted.) and the government can't appeal an acquittal, but a defendant can appeal a conviction.

It's not likely to get favorably through appeals if the govt seems to try to get around that by trying one crime at a time, either. For example, only going forward with one of the three now with the appearance that the others were saved as back ups would be very risky for LE/prosecutors.

MOO

I hadn't heard anything about that. IANAL, but I assume you're talking about the 4th victim for whom they're still gathering evidence? There are some verified attorneys here at WS, we might ask them. @PrairieWind and @Gitana are two of them. Maybe they'll drop in, but they'll need a little background because they may not be following this case closely.
I think it is possible. A prosecutor COULD just not charge one, just in case. Acquittal on the other three would not affect a prosecution on the fourth later. Is that what is happening here? Who knows. I would guess however, that the fourth isn't yet being prosecuted simply because the evidence isn't where the prosecutor would like it.

*I’m so curious about trophy items, specifically jewelry. How would LE ascertain what belonged to his wife or daughter? Do descriptions exist for jewelry belonging to victims that wasn’t found with their remains? Can they get dna off those pieces even after this long? And what in the heck is up with those paper towels? And why only black belts?

A search warrant for South Carolina property owned by the suspect sought possible “trophies,” among other items, the suspect may have taken after the killings, according to the Chester News & Reporter, which has seen the warrant.

The warrant shows a long list of items under “property sought,” many of which are listed as “trophies,” the newspaper reported.

That list includes phones, articles of clothing, jewelry, identification, notebooks, ledgers, Bibles, personal effects and/or photographs or recordings depicting the victims, according to the paper.

Other “trophy” items were separately listed, according to the paper, including condoms, black leather belts, knives, scissors, devices used to stamp letters on leather goods, and “Bounty paper towels specifically from the Bounty Modern Print Collection.”
Live updates: Gilgo Beach serial killings update
If the women had on any jewelry when they went missing, I would assume the descriptions of the victim’s jewelry would come from their friends or family members and that is how they can kind of tell what to look for. For example, I have a ring I always wear (and have worn since I was a kid) that everyone who knows me knows it is always on my person. It was given to me by my grandparents and is very special to me. I’ve had to have it resized over the years (curse my fat fingers) and the initials on it are very faded, but still there. So if I ever went missing or was killed and my ring was kept as a trophy by my killer, the cops would know (via descriptions of it by my loved ones) to look out for an “X” colored ring, size “X”, with the initials “*advertiser censored*”, that shows signs of the ring itself having been resized at some point in time. As for DNA? I’m not sure. I would think there could be a chance of DNA on the trophy items, but I’m not sure how worn down or degraded the DNA evidence would be on a piece of jewelry to the point of it being useable to test (if that makes sense).

I wonder if investigators could also get the expert opinion of a jeweler? Like if they showed a jeweler a certain ring or broach or whatever, and the jeweler could tell them his estimate of the age of the ring (which could be helpful if a victim was wearing jewelry that was passed down to them from a family member), if the ring was ever fixed for scratches/marks, the exact size of the ring, etc.

I think it is possible. A prosecutor COULD just not charge one, just in case. Acquittal on the other three would not affect a prosecution on the fourth later. Is that what is happening here? Who knows. I would guess however, that the fourth isn't yet being prosecuted simply because the evidence isn't where the prosecutor would like it.
LE said they don't have all the ducks in a row to charge Maureen.

They said they hadn't confirmed AE being away yet, but if she was away and spent on plane tickets, a hotel somewhere, etc., maybe by now they have. Every thing related to her travels have undoubtedly been removed from the house. Maybe if they have the evidence, it hasn't been presented to a grand jury.

If the prosecutor demonstrates a reason, such as not having finished their investigation, that is holding back to finish an investigation, not to sneak in two bites of the apple.

MOO

Idk why serial killer is allowed “special” unit. Which synonym describes SK’s “special” unit?
  • special
    • exceptional.
    • extraordinary.
    • important.
    • memorable.
    • significant.
    • uncommon.
    • unique.
    • unusual.
    • write-in vote
Special? More like an aberration.

But in all seriousness, it'll be seg of some kind. He's the arrestee in a highly publicised case. That case involves murder of women. The case is that of serial murder. The case involves (presumed) sexual assault. He's an older, if not elderly, first-time prisoner.

All of the above makes him vulnerable. Anyone who attacked him would get prestige for doing so in genpop.

So, basically, special in this case means 'keeping him alive to get to trial'.

MOO

Kerri Rawson, the daughter of serial killer Dennis Radar, says it has been 18 years since her father was arrested as the BTK serial killer and people still will say about her and her mother - "how did you not know?" People have a hard time understanding how these serial killers compartmentalize and lead double lives and hide this part of their lives from their families.

Kerri is able to give a first person perspective of what it's like for the family to be living in the shadow of a serial killer, even 18 years later, and understands what the family is going through.

I hope she can give the family hope and understanding, while they have to deal with the kinds of accusations made publicly by people like John Ray.

Actually it's about John Ray saying he has a witness that AE is complicit in the serial killer murders.

Not about the Heuerman children's attorney's (Vess Mitek) statement about the victims.

edited to add: Asa Ellerup's attorney (Robert Madedonia) did not make the statement about the victims, the attorney for the children made the statement - Vess Mitek.

Someone posted up thread that Vess Mitek and John Ray were law firm associates at some point in the past, so maybe there is some history there between them and that is influencing the dueling attorneys (Ray and Mitek). I hope the Ellerup/Heuerman adult children, and Asa, are not damaged further by this.
I had no idea there was that kind of connection. It definitely makes more sense that JR had his outburst. However, he was so off the mark in the way he said it. He could have just stated he had a credible witness to AE's complicity in RH's crimes and left it at that. No reason to be just downright nasty. He came off badly and may have ruined his chances to appear on any news stories in the future with this case. He made it personal and he should have never done that.

Special? More like an aberration.

But in all seriousness, it'll be seg of some kind. He's the arrestee in a highly publicised case. That case involves murder of women. The case is that of serial murder. The case involves (presumed) sexual assault. He's an older, if not elderly, first-time prisoner.

All of the above makes him vulnerable. Anyone who attacked him would get prestige for doing so in genpop.

So, basically, special in this case means 'keeping him alive to get to trial'.

MOO
He probably will be living a very solitary life once convicted. He will most likely never see general population. Whichever prison he finds himself in he will keep company with the likes of David Berkowitz (Son Of Sam) or Joel Rifkin, or Mark David Chapman, and any other high profile inmate.

RH will be in fear for the rest of his life, thankfully. He will know what all the victims knew in their last moments, complete terror. While I can't make this statement as 100% his future, it's most likely what is going to happen. The prison system wants to keep him alive. JMO

wild guess, looks fine on the exterior, possibly a normal house but unoccupied for quite some time..
I'm assuming they went in there alive but never left.. he wouldn't want to have panicked them before he got them inside...
I'm speculating like crazy..
A cabin in a garden?
An old public building that served as accommodation for workers at some stage in the past?
A folly?
An elaborate antique looking garden structure?
a place with a basement?
A hotel, where RH was a tenant, not only a guest?

He probably will be living a very solitary life once convicted. He will most likely never see general population. Whichever prison he finds himself in he will keep company with the likes of David Berkowitz (Son Of Sam) or Joel Rifkin, or Mark David Chapman, and any other high profile inmate.

RH will be in fear for the rest of his life, thankfully. He will know what all the victims knew in their last moments, complete terror. While I can make this statement is 100% his future, it's most likely what is going to happen. The prison system wants to keep him alive. JMO
It will probably depend on how he handles isolation. Dahmer cracked after a year and demanded to be transferred to genpop, despite the people who cared for him begging him not to. The prison obliged, and he was ultimately killed by another inmate. I think he's somewhat of an outlier, though. Other violent offenders seem to persist in restricted circumstances for decades without begging to be transferred like Dahmer did.

MOO

Who would JR's client be that he is protecting?

His client is a deceased sex worker who probably wasn't murdered by Rex Heuermann. He's also a long-time legal advocate for all of the victims of LISK. So who is he protecting?
He seems to be protecting a 'witness' without having proof of what this witness has said to him. If it's a true and credible witness they should have nothing to fear and can stay anonymous until this case goes to trial or is discredited, but I think it should be LE making that determination not JR.

Yes. Kinda. The search stressed her out and LE caused her to not have a home, food, plumbing, etc..

But her attorney's were doing her dirty, too, IMO, saying she needs to get her mental health together.

MOO
Only another SK family member can understand what this family is experiencing right now. I imagine her mental health was already fragile due to her serious health conditions and spending the past 30 + years caretaking of a special needs child. I just can't imagine having all that going on and then someone knocks on your door one evening in late July and your entire life just crashes down on you.

Now she's in the place of processing all of it and, at the same time finding what little order she may have had now completely destroyed. I know I'm guilty of lashing out and placing blame where it never belonged, but with time I came to an entirely different conclusion.

She is presently processing all this and I think in time she will figure out where the blame actually lies. It's not something she can do overnight or in everyone else's time, she has to do it on her own time, and I think it's pretty hard and devastating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member