Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 3 murders, July 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The architect accused in a string of Long Island killings has been years late in paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes, repeatedly filed lawsuits accusing drivers of injuring him in car accidents, and still lives in his childhood home, according to a review of public records and court documents.

Between 2014 and 2022, Heuermann filed four lawsuits in New York courts against drivers who he said hit him with their cars. Heuermann claimed “serious and permanent personal injuries,” court records show. Three of the cases were settled or discontinued, while the most recent one is ongoing.

In an April 2018 deposition in one of the cases, Heuermann discussed his life and work, saying he lived at his childhood home in the Long Island suburb of Massapequa Park with his wife of then 22 years, daughter and a stepson.

At one point in the deposition, when asked if he played sports, he said, “really only thing I competed in was competition rifle."

I wonder if he didn't pay taxes because he's broke or because of some other reason. I'm guessing he might not have money for a hot-shot lawyer when he needs one.

From the same link as above:

"Heuermann appears to have had issues paying his taxes going back more than a decade. Nassau County records show Heuermann was subject to six tax liens filed by the IRS in Nassau County between 2010 and 2021. According to the liens, Heuermann owed a total of more than $425,000 for taxes he had failed to pay going back to 2005.

The IRS later filed tax lien releases showing that Heuermann repaid or no longer owed about $215,078 of that debt, with the most recent documents being filed in October 2022.

According to the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance, Heuermann and his wife, Asa Ellerup, also currently owe a total of more than $81,500 in personal income tax to the state, with the tax bills having accrued since November 2020."

Pics of family at link.
''The suspect busted for the Gilgo Beach murders is a twice-married architect quietly raising two children — including a son with special needs — in the ramshackle Long Island home he grew up in.''

'The 59-year-old architect was raised with his brother, Craig, in the unkempt 1956 home on 1st Avenue that is directly across the bay from where 11 bodies have been found strewn since 2010.'

''He bought the house from his mom, Dolores, for $170,000 in 1994, according to property records.

That was the same year he started his company, RH Architecture Design, based on Fifth Avenue in midtown Manhattan, where he was arrested late Thursday.''

A lot of comments on the appearance of his house I think people are overreacting to.

How many chefs order takeaway on the way home after a long day cooking? Alot. Sometimes when you've done something all day for work you don't want to do it at home.

People that do, are likely using their house as a show piece or are inviting clients there. If he was doing neither I don't think the miskemptness ( is that a word?) means much.

We learned that he googled the progress of the investigation as well as his victims' relatives. Does this pertain to the four named victims or also others that were found in the area? If he only focused on the four, perhaps it's less likely that he was involved in earlier murders. OTOH, there could be more victims that we don't know of yet. Wouldn't he search for information about those cases as well? Maybe he did, just not recently. Would we learn about possible connections to other murders (apart from the location) before he gets charged for those? The MO seems different in other cases.

Last edited:
I wonder if he didn't pay taxes because he's broke or because of some other reason. I'm guessing he might not have money for a hot-shot lawyer when he needs one.

From the same link as above:

"Heuermann appears to have had issues paying his taxes going back more than a decade. Nassau County records show Heuermann was subject to six tax liens filed by the IRS in Nassau County between 2010 and 2021. According to the liens, Heuermann owed a total of more than $425,000 for taxes he had failed to pay going back to 2005.

The IRS later filed tax lien releases showing that Heuermann repaid or no longer owed about $215,078 of that debt, with the most recent documents being filed in October 2022.

According to the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance, Heuermann and his wife, Asa Ellerup, also currently owe a total of more than $81,500 in personal income tax to the state, with the tax bills having accrued since November 2020."
His arrest must have felt to him like a relief (after whining a bit about his fate). Seems, he would not have endured his life much longer like this. Neither would have done his unsuspecting wife.
IMO, he earned too little for having a family and his preferred interests. As an severe addicted person (one can assume) he did miss to earn his costs of living over a range of years, I think.

I myself had a boss mannny years ago, who was interested in photography (no idea, what else) and didn't care for enough time for his tax clients. It had consequences, which ended with his suicide.

We learned that he googled the progress of the investigation as well as his victims' relatives. Does this pertain to the four named victims or also others that were found in the area? If he only focused on the four, perhaps it's less likely that he was involved in earlier murders. OTOH, there could be more victims that we don't know of yet. Wouldn't he search for information about those cases as well? Maybe he did, just not recently. Would we learn about possible connections to other murders (except for the location) before he gets charged for those? The MO seems different in other cases.
bbm
Very good question!! Perhaps he gave something away by googling it??

His arrest must have felt to him like a relief (after whining a bit about his fate). Seems, he would not have endured his life much longer like this. Neither would have done his unsuspecting wife.
IMO, he earned too little for having a family and his preferred interests. As an severe addicted person (one can assume) he did miss to earn his costs of living over a range of years, I think.

I myself had a boss mannny years ago, who was interested in photography (no idea, what else) and didn't care for enough time for his tax clients. It had consequences, which ended with his suicide.
If the arrest was a relief to him, he would have confessed. Instead he cried and denied involvement. Crying seems weird to me in this case. Serial killers are often perceived as emotionless when they get caught.

Great insights.

I wonder what came first, chicken or egg? Did his "addictions" serve as a coping mechanism for his bumbling life or did he not quite achieve success because of his criminal activities.

And by not achieving success, I mean he didn't pay bills, lived a sloppy life. Not every professional wants to live a showy life and there is absolutely nothing wrong with living modestly and focusing on hobbies. That is fine - no offense given. But that is not what is happening here. Any comments about his run-down house in an otherwise nice neighborhood are a reflection on him, not anyone who might be reading this. The man is accused of being a disgusting serial killer and yes my impression of his life is colored by that.

jmo

A lot of comments on the appearance of his house I think people are overreacting to.

How many chefs order takeaway on the way home after a long day cooking? Alot. Sometimes when you've done something all day for work you don't want to do it at home.

People that do, are likely using their house as a show piece or are inviting clients there. If he was doing neither I don't think the miskemptness ( is that a word?) means much.
I think, it's an indictment of poverty for a self-employed man (and in addition an architect!), the front and back of the house. And in my mind, it is a little bit creepy already, if I am not willing to have clients and associates as guests in my home. It's not the usual way to have a career (and to have the acc. income).

*Archived articles:

LE did away with the burlap connection in their press conference. But, I still can't stop thinking about how badly JB was villanized
Is there a list of acronyms for this sub? I'm just jumping in now (although I see a number of familiar names from forums past!). I know there was a JohnB and a JamesB that had both been the object of speculation in the past. I'm from NYC but we've long had a family vacation place in Suffolk County so I've been following this case for years. Thank you!

I think, it's an indictment of poverty for a self-employed man (and in addition an architect!), the front and back of the house. And in my mind, it is a little bit creepy already, if I am not willing to have clients and associates as guests in my home. It's not the usual way to have a career (and to have the acc. income).
Apropos: I'm wondering about his renovation in 2009 (in the middle of time span, when his murders occured, namely 2007-2010), when "the walls came down" (acc. to his wife). Maybe, this "renovation" was urgently necessary because of some contamination/destruction at home through the wife's absence?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member