Grand Jury Indictment 3/20/14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Can someone please outline what's next in this case? I'm not very legally savvy. They didn't get out on a bond so they have to wait in jail until their trials. Just wondering how long this typically might take?

I believe the following still has to happen:

-The Moorers will enter a plea of guilty or not guilty
-Change of venue arguments and decision by judge
-Possible hearings on whether certain evidence or testimony can be allowed

Since we haven't been given a date for the plea hearing yet, does that mean it is not that soon? Unless there is a delay, I think it should happen around August....Just a prediction.

Isn't something going down 6/27? Anyone? There are so many charges at this point I'm confused.

Yeah, I just looked up Sidney on the Horry County public index and he has a bond returnable hearing scheduled on the 27th, but he never posted any bond that I'm aware of, so I'm confused as well. I'm too bored with Tammy to look her up.

There will be many hearings over the next year as this case winds its way toward trial. No, I have no idea when a trial will occur. Could be as soon as a year (per the Solicitor's office) or...could be longer than that, if there are continuances requested by the defense. File that under "who knows."

Isn't something going down 6/27? Anyone? There are so many charges at this point I'm confused.

For TM, under 'Bond Returnable Court - Begin Date':

2 counts Sex/Indecent Exposure - 6/27/14
Obstruction of Justice - 6/27/14
Kidnapping - 6/27/14
False statement on application for Medicaid - 10/31/14
Breach/Obtain sig. or prop over 10,000. - 10/31/14

I don't see a listing with a date for the Murder charge.

Also don't know if these dates will be for entering a plea but they are the only dates I could find.

Kidnapping - 6/27/14

Also don't know if these dates will be for entering a plea but they are the only dates I could find.

Yep, same dates as Sid. Looks like they'll be yoked together to the bitter end.

http://www.judicial.state.sc.us/selfHelp/FAQGeneralSessions.pdf

The following FAQ tells the schedule of trials. Roll call is the same as bond returnable. On that day, the judge will see whether the defendant has a lawyer, and will set a schedule for the case. Their next appearance will be when they enter their pleas.

When they say "set within 120 days of arrest" does that mean the date is scheduled within 120 days and can take place after that time, or that it actually takes place within 120 days?

I think they will enter their pleas on the first or second Friday in September. It is really just a guess but I am basing it off the 1st appearance (bond returnable) is "set within 45 days of arrest" while the second appearance (plea hearing) "is set within 120 days of arrest". 120-45 = 75. 75 days is right around early September, and the page says the hearings happen on Fridays. I hope I am wrong, and this happens earlier.

Sometimes I wonder why the M's are not shouting for a "speedy trial"...have not heard much about that. I know I would be, if innocent, even if it could not happen. I also wonder why the state needs at least a year, since specific charges were so quick to come down and they say they have evidence for all of them. Logically, I know it takes a long time to put a murder case together for trial...but I just it was sooner. I know they probably hope she will be found before trial, but that may never happen...jmo

http://www.judicial.state.sc.us/selfHelp/FAQGeneralSessions.pdf

The following FAQ tells the schedule of trials. Roll call is the same as bond returnable. On that day, the judge will see whether the defendant has a lawyer, and will set a schedule for the case. Their next appearance will be when they enter their pleas.

When they say "set within 120 days of arrest" does that mean the date is scheduled within 120 days and can take place after that time, or that it actually takes place within 120 days?

I think they will enter their pleas on the first or second Friday in September. It is really just a guess but I am basing it off the 1st appearance (bond returnable) is "set within 45 days of arrest" while the second appearance (plea hearing) "is set within 120 days of arrest". 120-45 = 75. 75 days is right around early September, and the page says the hearings happen on Fridays. I hope I am wrong, and this happens earlier.

Hi, first let me start by saying I am definitely not well versed in court procedures at all. Would it work like this: They got arrested in February. First bond hearing for both was March 27 (so that is within the forty five day time period.) Their bond returnable hearing is set for June 27th, which is four months from when they got arrested, so that would be 120 days from their February arrest date. So I guess the next one scheduled after that, they will plea??

ETA: The bond returnable on June 27th is not for the murder charge. It is for the IE's, OJ, kidnapping.

Kidnapping - 6/27/14

On a lighter note, it's interesting that the Medicaid charges will be adressed on Halloween. <Mod snip>

Hi, first let me start by saying I am definitely not well versed in court procedures at all. Would it work like this: They got arrested in February. First bond hearing for both was March 27 (so that is within the forty five day time period.) Their bond returnable hearing is set for June 27th, which is four months from when they got arrested, so that would be 120 days from their February arrest date. So I guess the next one scheduled after that, they will plea??

ETA: The bond returnable on June 27th is not for the murder charge. It is for the IE's, OJ, kidnapping.

That is what I am thinking. At the bond returnable, they will give us the date of the plea hearing, and then at the plea hearing, they will give us the date of jury selection. Of course that is not set in stone as each side can file motions and request hearings that could push it back.

Why is the murder charge not part of the bond returnable date?

That is what I am thinking. At the bond returnable, they will give us the date of the plea hearing, and then at the plea hearing, they will give us the date of jury selection. Of course that is not set in stone as each side can file motions and request hearings that could push it back.

Why is the murder charge not part of the bond returnable date?[/QUOTE]

My guess is that bond was denied on that charge.

My guess is that bond was denied on that charge.

But, the bond returnable date is to see whether the defendant has legal representation. So shouldn't all their charges be included? I also thought bond was denied for all 4 of the charges? All 4 charges are one case.

But, the bond returnable date is to see whether the defendant has legal representation. So shouldn't all their charges be included? I also thought bond was denied for all 4 of the charges? All 4 charges are one case.

Sorry, I'm at work and was only half reading... I have no idea.....

If I read the attached link correctly, there must be other things going on behind the scenes. Per this link from 2013 http://www.judicial.state.sc.us/whatsnew/displaywhatsnew.cfm?indexID=905

Within 72 hours, after being served with a warrant, a Defendant shall appear before a Magistrate for a bond hearing. This did not happen in this case within 72 hours. They were served with the warrant on Feb 24, and the bond hearing was on March 17.

Approximately 60 days from the initial bond hearing, a Defendant shall appear for a Bond Returnable Date. This also did not happen within 60 days. The original bond hearing was on March 17 and the Bond Returnable Date is June 27. (103 days)

Even according to this link from 2011 http://www.judicial.state.sc.us/selfHelp/FAQGeneralSessions.pdf

The Bond heading was supposed to happen within 24 hours, and it did not.

If I read the attached link correctly, there must be other things going on behind the scenes. Per this link from 2013 http://www.judicial.state.sc.us/whatsnew/displaywhatsnew.cfm?indexID=905

Within 72 hours, after being served with a warrant, a Defendant shall appear before a Magistrate for a bond hearing. This did not happen in this case within 72 hours. They were served with the warrant on Feb 24, and the bond hearing was on March 17.

Approximately 60 days from the initial bond hearing, a Defendant shall appear for a Bond Returnable Date. This also did not happen within 60 days. The original bond hearing was on March 17 and the Bond Returnable Date is June 27. (103 days)

Even according to this link from 2011 http://www.judicial.state.sc.us/selfHelp/FAQGeneralSessions.pdf

The Bond heading was supposed to happen within 24 hours, and it did not.

Seems like it was something about those judges are only available at certain times and the date used was the first available.

Seems like it was something about those judges are only available at certain times and the date used was the first available.
That would make sense except aren't people entitled to certain rights for a speedy trial, which is why the timelines are set? Otherwise, why set timelines at all? (72 hours unless the judge doesn't happen to be handy?) Does anyone actually know the rules for South Carolina? Color me curious.

Everyone has the right to a speedy trial but no one is compelled to accept a speedy trial. Many times defense teams want/need more time to prepare a case. There are also advantages to waiting, such as witnesses' memories becoming less crisp over time. Lots of strategy goes into it, so while there are timelines established in writing, there are also exceptions that happen each and every day.

Everyone has the right to a speedy trial but no one is compelled to accept a speedy trial. Many times defense teams want/need more time to prepare a case. There are also advantages to waiting, such as witnesses' memories becoming less crisp over time. Lots of strategy goes into it, so while there are timelines established in writing, there are also exceptions that happen each and every day.
Agreed, which is why I was saying that there is something more going on behind the scenes.

That would make sense except aren't people entitled to certain rights for a speedy trial, which is why the timelines are set? Otherwise, why set timelines at all? (72 hours unless the judge doesn't happen to be handy?) Does anyone actually know the rules for South Carolina? Color me curious.

I would like to see the rules too. All I know is that someone posted here that these judges are only available at certain times and the hearing dates are based on that schedule.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Afrench
Back