*graphic and adult content* Jodi Arias Trial media/ timeline thread **no discussion**

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Jan 15 - Chris Hughes said he heard Gus was on Jodi's witness list and wondered why. Gus said he didn't know he was on witness list. Chris said he was working with "prosecutor"

Is Chris Hughes the guy that was going to leave his wife after spending two hours with Jodi in his vehicle?

The guy on NG mentioned his name was Chris didnt he? Or do I have that mixed up?

imo
Nooooo!

Chris Hughes was a business partner and very close friend of Travis. He's been pretty outspoken about his feelings towards Jodi...they aren't warm and fuzzy.

He and his wife Sky were also going to Cancun with Travis - they'd left early and were already there when he got the call.

Chris Hughes told Gus that Nurmi was a snake and a trickster.

"I'm asking you a question Sir. You don't get to ask me questions." Snap!

Yay! Calling Chris Hughes as rebuttal witness.

She's allowing it!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now Searcy wanted to sit in the courtroom and Judge Stephens dismissed him. Snap!

Gus Searcy sworn in . . . works for PPL for 7.5 years
Text message copy identified in court - but Judge will be keeping it under seal

GS - stated he saw this text the next day on the 13th . . .
GS is scrolling through his own cellphone (?)
GS asks "are you waiting for me?" Def. Atty - "yes we are . . . did you find it?"
no still scrolling for it -

Received this text on 1/15 - 3 days after they spoke
Mr.Hughes texted sayin "Herb you are on Jodi's witness list = any idea why?"
GS responded - "too much to text - call me later"

Hughes said he was working with Prosecution and he heard that GS was on Jodi's witness list - GS said Prosecutor told Hughes

Text was @ 9:15 am - first text = GS received while he was driving to California.

Exhibits #2 and #3
Filing on 8:52 and 8:54 on Jan 15th from GS - admitted exhibits

GS you might be reluctant to say this in a public forum - did Mr Hughes say anything about me (Defense Atty) . . .
Smiling - GS - said DA was a "snake" and if someone were on trial for murder this is the Atty you would want defending you. . . .

One of the things (Hughes) had said . . . .OMGoodness . . . he said you guys tried to keep this off of TV . . . . I can't tell you where this came from

Cross by Prosecution

You agreed to talk to Hughes? You said call me later . . . . you missed the call . . .
perhaps
Didn't you call him back?
Yes
And you missed him right
If you say so - I can look @ my phone - I can't remember - He said I cant talk right now let me call you back.

DA - @ no time did you say you had any compunction about talking to him (Hughes) . . . you talked about getting married, you talked about a lot of things.
I talked about everything except about this.
You tried to call the Maricopa County office a number of time and no one called you back
Yes - I was surprised about that
You were upset about that and were going to serve them and get back at them
No
That was context you talked to Mr. Nurmi . . . you were upset they did not call you back - you want the limelight to be focused on you
Where do you get that from?
I get to ask the questions you don't

I was not upset I was surprised . . .

Did he tell you he had not talked to the Prosecutor had not talked to him in the last 3 years . . . According to you that he was talking to the Prosecutor

No it's not true .. . yes it is true . . . you asked a double negative . .. .

He told you he talked to the Prosecutor?
Yes
I have no other questions

Re-direct

Just want to make it clear here -
between the time you spoke with Mr Hughes and your testimony today - did you talk to Mr. Martinez?
No
Mr. Martinez told you about your phone call on the 15th - did you tell him of that information?
No

State calls Chris Hughes

Defense says they did not have notice

Chris is here from SLC, Utah -

Judge says Hughes can take the stand and asks Mr. Searcy to wait outside as the "rule has been invoked".

Chris Hughes - Founder and CEO of Personal Growth Academy and legal consult for PPL

Had a conversation with GS . . . . Prosecutor shows him exhibits . . . .
Did you send him a text?
I did
Did you speak to the Prosecutor yesterday?
Yes
How long has it been since before yesterday?
Years - three years

What motivated you to . . . .take a look @ exhibit #1
You sent GS a text message
Yes
On request from anyone?
No
Who did you hear that from?
My wife
Did you contact him on your own?
I was curious

I texted him and asked what's up - he said too much to text . . . I reached out to him and he to me . . . we were able to speak around 3 or 4 . .

First thing we talked about a seminar on the weekend - then he talked about his fiance and her bio and when they might be getting married, then talked about his house - had a water main break =

He has had various successes and various background and loves the limelight - he went on People's court with a family member = I can give you other examples.

He has a unique flair - we have had him come do a few seminars - we have a stage and a curtain . . . usually the speaker comes up on the stage Gus likes to hide behind the curtain and then come out.

Gus was fairly tight lipped about Jodi - he said he might be called to testify . . . .
did he seem upset that the Prosecutor's office not calling him back? . ..

He seemed aggitated - he said he wasn't going to say anything but would save it for the stand if called . . . said he has information that will hurt her or free her . . .

I said Come on Gus . . . .free her - she admitted killing him . . . he said won't free her but will help her.

Witness did not say he was working for the Prosecution, nor talking to the Prosecuting Atty on a regular basis.

He was annoyed that Prosecutor did not call him back. . . .I (Hughes) said Defense Atty was a liar - he lied to my wife about letters that were forged and concocted by his client. . . .
I have never called the Prosecutors until this weekend....

I didn't know what this was going to be about - Prosecutor said they didn't know either - flew out Mr. Hughes

Defense asked for a recess . . . . . as witness referenced letters . . . .

Is Mr. Hughes under subpoena and if not DA will serve him now.

Counsel approach

Gus Searcy Testimony--January 28, 2013

DT: asks Searcy to identify Jodi in the courtroom.
Searcy has been involved in PPL/ Legal Shied for 7.5 years & knows Chris Hughs who is a business associate & a friend.

Exhibit #1--Copy of a text message from Chris Hughes that was sent to Searcy.
This exhibit is sealed as it contains Searcy's telephone number.
DT asking if he recalls contacting Nurmi's office in January. Searcy is asked to review the text message. DT asks to approach the judge. Searcy now has his cell phone in his hand and is searching it. (not sure what for at this time).
Searcy received the text message on January 15, three days after speaking to Nurmi.
Text message from 1015 hours. "heard you were on Jodi's witness list, do you know why?" Searcy and Hughes spoke after that text message. Searcy did not know he was on the witness list. Hughes told Searcy that he was working with the prosecution and he was watching TV and heard it there. Hughes said that he spoke to the prosecutor. Searcy doesn't remember if Hughes mentioned the name of the prosecutor.
Exhibits #2 & #3, information showing when Searcy was placed on the witness list. This information was filed the morning of January 15.
Nurmi is asking Searcy about references Highes made about Nurmi Hughes called Nurmi a snake and mentioned his tricks. Searcy is being asked where Hughes opinion came from. Searcy cannot comment.

CROSS EXAMINATION

Searcy agreed to talk to Hughes. Hughes called Searcy but he missed his call. Searcy said that Hughes said he would call him later. There was some phone tag between Searcy and Hughes.
Searcy spoke to Hughes. Searcy spoke to Hughes about a number of things except what he was going to say at the hearing. Searcy tried to contact the county attorney's office but they didn't return his call. Searcy told Hughes he was upset with the prosecution because they did not return his calls. PT is asking Searcy if it is true that he wants to use this hearing to make himself the center of attention.
Searcy's belief is that Hughes spoke to the prosecution.

REDIRECT
Nurmi is asking Searcy about the subject matter of his call on January 15.

WITNESS IS EXCUSED

STATE CALLS CHRIS HUGHES

DT says they did not know that Hughes would be testifying.
The Judge allows the prosecution to call Chris Hughes as a witness.

CHRIS HUGHES TESTIMONY

--Hughes is an independant contractor with Legal Shield. Has known Searcy for six years.
--PT shows Hughes the exhibits from earlier (the text messages).
--Hughes sent Searcy a text message.
--Hughes spoke to the prosecutor on January 27, 2013 but has not spoken to him in the last three years.
--Hughes heard that Searcy was on the witness from his wife. Hughes was curious about it so he sent Searcy a text message. Searcy and Hughes called each other but were not able to reach each other. They finally spoke between 1500 & 1600 in the afternoon. The first thing they spoke about was an upcoming seminar. They also talked about Searcy's fiance and her professional experience and their upcoming wedding. Also spoke about Searcy's house and his water pipe break and some remodeling that was done. Hughes said that Searcy "loves the limelight". An example is when Searcy went on People's Court with a family member. Hughes says that for the seminars Searcy has a "unique flair" and Searcy likes to "hide behind the curtain then come out".
--Hughes then asked "what's up with Jodi". Searcy was tightlipped and said he wasn't sure if he was going to be called upon to testify.
--Searcy mentioned that he had tried to contact the prosecution's office and they weren't calling him back. Hughes says that Searcy was agitated. Searcy says that he wasn't going to say anything and that he was going to save it for the stand if called.
--Searcy said that he had information that would hurt her or free her. Hughes said "c'mon Gus, she admitted it". Searcy then said he had information that would hurt her or help her.
--Hughes never told Searcy he had spokenn to Martinez or his office.
--Hughes never told Searcy he was working for the prosecution.
--Hughes did speak about Nurmi and expressed his disdain about Nurmi, said that Nurmi was a liar and that Nurmi lied to his wife. Nurmi lied to Hughes wife about a hearing from years ago about some letters that were concocted.
--Hughes never called the prosecution's office until this past weekend. Hughes returned a call that was made to him. Arrangements were then made for Hughes to fly out.

DT is now asking for a recess. DT now wants to obtain the emails between Nurmi and Hughes wife. DT is serving Hughes with a supeona for witness.

CH stated the Defense told his wife with a telephone call followed by an email . . .

Judge wants this witness CH to return tomorrow afternoon . . . .

Defense asks that he have no contact with the media or anyone
He is further not to watch any media on this trial and the Defense will be giving CH a subpoena.

Mr. Alfohade (sic?) will be testifying on the phone . . ..
Defense asks time to prepare for cross

Judge will be allowing the call for testimony today . . .

Verizon wireless will not accept a blocked number . . .
They will call him and ask he return the call.

Witness on the phone has known GS for 6 or 7 years -they did talk about this case and GS told him they tried to contact the Proscutor on several times and he indicated the Prosecutor did not call him back. . . . GS joined the business 6 or 7 years ago and witness saw him happy, and upset and various range of emotions.

GS was surprised, upset and said "your guy hasn't called me yet" re: Prosecutor returning GS call.

Abdelhadi to be available 3:30 tomorrow and (2:30 PT) he is not to discuss anything about this case with anyone until then.

Defense asks for a witness @ 10:15 tomorrow= prosecutor asks who it is . . . . DA says they will have her come out of the witness room.

That is all for today

January 28, 2013

STATE CALLS ABE ABDELHADI

DT objects to this witness as they did not know he was going to be called. DT says that Abe has given an interview with the media. Abe is not on either the PT or the DT witness list.

Abe is àppearing`on telephone and he works for Legal Shied. He has known Searcy for 6-7 years. Spoke to Searcy about Jodi`s trial and Searcy told Abe that he had tried to call the prosecution`s office but they did not return his phone calls.

PT is asking Abe about Searcy`s demeaner about the phone calls. Searcy seemed agitated and told Abe `your guy hasn`t called me yet`.

DT does not have a cross examination right now and will wait until January 29, 2013 at 2:30 pacific time. Abe will have to call the court again and is told not to discuss the case with anybody.

DT is anticipating calling one more witness, a female who wasn`t named. DT is asking if they could call her tomorrow morning at 1015 hours Arizona time.

**I think I heard the name Lisa after the judge spoke**

fyi: the above several posts are from today's evidentiary hearing.. I have copied over a few poster comments as well during the hearing to capture what was going on in the courtroom today. Thanks to everyone who transcribed!

34pnxq1.png

Mr. Nurmi calls Gus Searcy . . . it seems to be taking quite awhile to bring GS to the stand . . . the Judge appears to be a bit annoyed.

GS enters courtroom and starts to head toward prosecution table - he is redirected to the witness chair and is sworn in.

He does many things for a living for mostly PPL now called Legal Shield (name changed 2 years ago) . . . he is $100K ring wearer . . . he makes $100K per yr without getting out of bed in the morning. . . . legal shield provides identity protection and legal insurance . . . 400K people in company - Executive Directors in the company approx 1500 of them and Ring earner and ED in the company are highest. . . . ED, then Bronze - where you helped someone become ED, silver - you have helped 2 people become ED, gold is 3 people ED's, and platinum . . .. on up.

PPL (Legal Shield) sales - give average person legal services insurance and identity protection for $1.19 per day.... it is like an insurance company - you can sell insurance or you can be a insurance broker. Financial incentives build a team of people and make a little bit off of each person . . . it costs $34.95 per month . . . . the Multi-level marketing he makes anywhere from $34 to $200 (?) or $182 off of that sale depending on their level.

Do you sell Insurance or do other things in the company?
There is book they publish called Profiles of Success . . . to be a ED you have to make sales every month . . . . ring earners are listed in front of book and then ED's in the back.

GS gets flown all around the country to talk to people @ business briefings, conventions, super saturdays, weekly meetings, national convention and regional events.

Back then there were 2 National conventions - one in Oklahoma and one in either Dallas or Las Vegas. There are training classes, the night before the event starts (usually Thurs night) is the ED banquet . . . it is like the Superbowl . . . if you get to go you get to take one person with you and that person just "won the lottery" sort of thing.

It is tailored to people in the business - a junior level in the Company or a "Diamond Level" . . . keep people in the game, build their belief, . . . . 5784 people told him no to build his thicker skin. All nationalities and all creeds to achieve these levels.

What goes on at the banquet?
A formal attire evening, formal tuxedo and formal gown - women love it because they have to get dressed up. People make $100K per year to $4 million per year - the royalty there you get to meet and shake those people's hands. .. . the ring earners are there and honored.

$100K to $4 million - is that announced@ the banquet?
In the book that is published it shows that (how much each minimum income of those people make). . . .Some ED's make $5k p/mo so $60K or $70K.
Kinda like if you are working @ the Presidential campaign and you get invited to the inaguration banquet.

Do you know that lady there?
Yes JA . . .. I came to know her and it explains how I got into this whole thing. . . I am bit of an anomoly in this whole thing -
Objection!
Approach

JA Mother and Aunt are appearing to listening to head phones and talking with each other

January 29, 2013 THE DEFENCE CASE-IN-CHIEF

Nurmi calls his first witness: GUS SEARCY

PART 1

--Gus works for Legal Shied/Pre Paid Legal and he is a $100,000 ring owner, and an executive director. Gus makes the money whether he "gets out of bed or not".
--Legal Shield is a MLM (multi level marketing) company, it has 400,000 associates. People in the company want to get to the level that Gus is at. There are approximately 1500 people at the executive level. Those that make $100,000 in a 12 month period get a ring to signify their success.
--There are different levels of executive directors and they are bronze, silver, gold etc. The level depends on how many executive directors are beneath you. Gus is at the silver level.
--Gus is now describing what Legal Shield sells to customers.
--People become associates/brokers and get other people to work under them. There is financial incentive to get more people to sell under you so that you are making a little bit off of each person.
--Nurmi is asking Gus how the MLM sales work and how they get to Gus' level.
--Nurmi is asking Gus what he does within the company. Once you get to an executive director level you have to qualify every month. Once you have done that eight months in a row there is a book that is published with all the ring earners and the executive directors.
--Gus flies around the country to speak at meetings, conventions, and "super Saturdays". Ring owners and executive directors go and speak at meetings to inspire other people.
--There are regional events and a national convention.
--Nurmi is asking about the national convention. In 2008 there were two. One in Oklahoma and one in Dallas or Las Vegas. There are training classes. On the Thursday night there is an executive director banquet. If you get to go you can bring one person with you. Gus says it is "like winning the lottery ticket".
--The conventions are open to people in the business.
--The conventions are geared for associates to "keep them in the game" and "keep people inspired". They bring people on stage that have achieved success.
--Nurmi asking about the banquet. What goes on at the banquet. How are the directors treated? It is a formal attire evening. Only the executive directors that have qualified in the past three months are able to go. They make $100,000 to $4,000,000 a year. There are speeches from the newest $100,000 ring owners.
--In the book it shows how much money associates have made. Minimum income is $5000/month for executive directors.
--To get invited to the banquet for non executive directors it is like "winning the lottery". It's a "very big deal".
--Gus is asked if he knows Jodi. He identifies her in court.
--Gus is asked how he knows Jodi. Gus says he is an anomoly (sp?) in the organization. Matnez objects. Counsel approach the bench.

GS met Jodi @ business briefing - then an after event go out to dinner and people take pictures an have you sign their books . . . it was 2007 or 2008 . . . . I've done hundreds of these events.

After meeting JA at that event - she had askd me to help her becaus I becam a ED in 90 days - it usually takes people a year. WE all hav the same product, the same price, the same marketing . .. so it is all in their head. I figure out what is keeping them from more sales. . . . .I find out what is in their head and have them call me once a week - forces them into action - kinda like weight watchers if they hav to do something they are more motivated.

At minimum of once a week we would touch base with each other. (JA and GS.)

Was this strictly business or did you become friends?
I usually become friends - get to now people and become friends. . . . over those months go to know JA fairly well. Relationship with JA strictly platonic - she had a boyfriend, Travis A.

You knew TA as her boyfriend, to your knowledge did a lot of people know about that?
To my knowledge - Iknew . . . I didn't conduct a survey.

Did you ever know her to dress in a way that was oversexual or inappropriate?
Objection!
Approach!

January 29, 2013 THE DEFENCE CASE-IN-CHIEF

Nurmi calls his first witness: GUS SEARCY

PART 2

--Gus had gone to speak in Arizona at a business briefing. Gus was at the meeting and they went out for supper after. It was an after event. More for somebody to learn what PPL does. Gus met Jodi at that point. He does not remember when that was. In 2007 or 2008.
--Jodi asked Gus to help her. This request was not uncommon as a lot of people ask him for help to achieve success.
--Gus tries to help people find out what is making people not succeed. There's emotions involved, some people are shy, etc. "You need to get into their head".
--Gus will get people to call him weekly so that they are accountable and more likely to do something.
--This is the type of relationship Gus began with Jodi. They spoke a minimum of once per week.
--Nurmi asks if it was strictly business or did they become friends? Gus says he becomes friends with a lot of people. Over the months he got to know Jodi fairly well.
--Nurmi clarifying if the relationship was platonic or sexual. Gus says the relationship was platonic as Jodi has a boyfriend, Travis Alexander.
--Nurmi asking Gus if a lot of people knew that Travis was Jodi's boyfriend. Gus says he knew but he didn't know how many others knew.
--Did Gus ever know Jodi to dress in a way that was "over sexual or not appropriate"?
--Martinez objects, counsel approach

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966
Back