*graphic and adult content* Jodi Arias Trial media/ timeline thread **no discussion**

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
January 29, 2013 THE DEFENCE CASE-IN-CHIEF

Nurmi calls his first witness: GUS SEARCY

PART 3

--Gus says he would see her at the regional event and the national event. Met with him 4-5 times and twice he met with her personally.
--Gus is asked if he had ever seen Jodi dress inappropriately. Jodi was always dressed very conservative, very professional, long sleeves, feminine, turtleneck sweaters.
--Was Jodi ever sexually inappropriate in her conduct? Martinez objects but the objection is sustained. Gus helps people dress for success/prefessional business.
--Gus looks at people's dress when he is mentoring them. He never found Jodi to be overly flirtatious. Gus observed Jodi's behavior to be professional.
--re: personal level meetings. Gus was in Las Vegas at a local business briefing. Gus says that Jodi had called her and was very upset because her and Travis has had a fight.

Martinez objects--hearsay. Counsel are asked to approach the bench.

Where did she live @ the time?
Mesa AZ
Was she moving away from there?
Yes
Month and Year this took place?
Can't remember
Month and Year in Vegas and JA came to stay with you?
Yes - she said she needed to get away . . . . came to stay with you on her wayout .. . stayd @ you motor home?
Yes for 2 days 1 night
Any sexual advances?
No
Did she ever speak to TA during those 2 day?
Object - overrule
Yes

Did TA ever come to your motorhome?
no

Did she receive any phone calls from TA?
Yes
The motorhome is very large but it is long as compared to wide . . . . she answered the phone and you can hear . . .
Objection
Sustained
May we approach?

GUS SEARCY

PART 4

--When Jodi called Gus, she was upset, where did she live? At that time Jodi lived in Arizona. Gus is asked if he knew she was moving out of Mesa. Jodi told Gus why she was moving. When did this take place? Gus does not remember.
--At this time Gus was in Vegas in his motor home. He invited Jodi to stay with him on her way out of Mesa.
--Jodi spent 2 days and 1 night with Gus in his motor home. She did not make any sexual advances.
--During the two days did she ever speak to Travis Alexander? Gus says "yes".
--While Jodi was at the motor home, did Travis arrive at the motor home? "no".
--Did Jodi receive any phone calls from Travis? How were you aware that Travis was calling Jodi? The motor home isn't very big so Gus was able to hear the call.

--Martinez objects, counsel approach the bench

Jodi went outside the motorhome and talked for about 30 min and then came in crying and shaking. Second time I met her - she had her phone stolen and I saw her for about 10 min to use the phone.

Prosecutor . . .
Asking to describe Multi-Level marketing . . . at the top of the pirimid -
It is not a pirimid (sic?) -

It is more like a circle. . . .
Yelling - I am asking who is making the $?

I missed some testimony . . . .

Said you met the Defendant in 2007 or 2008 . . .
I was speaking @ a local business briefing. . .

You saw her 4 other times in a professional business setting
Yes
How long did you meet with her the first time?
whole briefing was 45 min to 1 hr - so break it down to about 10 min

Next time the second time. . . . so you could see what she was wearing? So you don't know where you met her? Oklahoma, Las Vegas, or Dallas?

It was 5 years ago . . .
Purpose of the meeting?
So I could check in with her . . . we talked once a week.
How much time did you talk to her?
Through the whole convention - a couple of hours.
Did you present during this convention?
I didn't present on 2007 on the main stage -I presented @ the breakout.
Was she in your breakout?
No she was in a different section
How many times did you see her @ the convention?
3 or 4 times
People are expected to dress in a business like fashion.

The third time you met her . . . .
Let's continue talking about this time
You don't get to ask the questions I do = third time you met her.

Saw her @ convention in Las Vegas or Oklahoma . . . .
I heard that - where did you see her the third time?
I don't remember it was opposite one - they have one every 6 months.

There are after partys too. . . people dress up spectacularly,

The day after the ED banquet - I knew what I was going to say at this other event and saw her again .. . .
Everyone is expected to dress professionally
Yes and in the evenings as well
I am not asking you about the evening am I?

. . . . .
go ahead
I am not asking you about the evening
right

At the motor home
Other than that what town were you in that you saw her?
I believe it was Pasadena - I went there to meet her
What time of the day did you meet her?
Probably late morning or early afternoon
10 or 11 ?
More than 10 or before 2 because I have kids to pick up from school.
You gave her a telephone?
Yes it is called a Helio - they gave it to me
What day was it this happened?
I don't know

Mr Nurmi,
Let's talk about how the State tried to make PPL a pyramid scheme
Objection
Did yu make money off of her?
Not a dime - JA is part of Mr. Hughes' team and Im part of pinacle.
Don't have direct access to her W-2' or know how much she is making -
No

TAlked about 2nd meeting with her - convention @ LV or Oklahoma City - 3 or 4 day meeting asked about her attire . . . . asked if people are expected todress professionally -
Yes - during the day
Did everyone always adhere to that during the day?
No
Professional attire was not always the norm
Was it casual or nightclub attire?
Very nightclubbish
Was there alcohol at these parties?
Yes
Did you ever observe her inappropraite dressed, acting out, drunk, anger or violent demeanor?
No
Time spent with her in your motorhome . . . .not a professional setting - how was she was dressed?
Slacks and turtleneck and long sleeves
Appropriate for the weather at the time.

1 juror question -
counsel approach

Has Mr.Hughes ever helped any of the agents working under you?
No
How many Diamond members, ED, and ring earners and junior members?
I know 1500 ED . . . . TA was one of those

Noon recess until 1:25

Darryl Brewer called by the Defense . . .
He is ex-boyfriend of JA for 4 years - he is 52 y/o, divorced, and has one 14 y/o son.
I know Jodi because we were in love . . . (not showing the face of the witness)
I met JA in fall of 2001 - employed as Food and Bev. Director @ Ven Tana (sic?) in Big Sur - she came as a server- she was outstanding, on time, interviewed well, dressed appropriately.

It is a 63 room boutique hotel . . . . he ran food beverage operations, managing restaraunt, banquets, breakfast service, room service, etc. There is a high end main rest.

Someone posted a picture of him in one of the threads. Wish I could remember where!

o05jxf.jpg

Missed some testimony . . . .

He moved to Monterray - about 30 miles from Ven Tana . . . he wanted to be out of the staff housing situation - it is not the best housing. . . . JA did not move with him - she lived in staff housing. The relationship continued after he moved. . . . they saw each other 2 or 3 times per week. . . . their relationship was boyfriend and girlfriend and was exclusive - before and after he moved. . . . there was a point in time when he and JA lived together. They purchased a house together in 2005 in Palm Desert.

The mother of his son had plans to remarry and planned to move there - his son was about 4 or 5 - they shared custody. His son was going to live with Darryl and Jodi. . . . after his separation - he was not divorced in 2000 - he was separated and moved away - he was wary about bringing anyone around his son . . he was part time around his son. He made a choice . . . . he did not date anyone prior to JA. He brought JA around his son gradually. JA's relationship with his son was "outstanding" . . he would not describe JA as a "step-mother role" but a friend role to Jack.

Home was purchased in June 2005. Both of them were on the Mortgage - they were not married. Status of relationship - boyfriend/girlfriend, co-mortgage holders, but he did not plan to get married @ that time. . . he was coming out o a divorce and not ready to be married again. Marriage was discussed a few times but not often. At the time they were buying the house - he was very happy. Plan was somewhat uncertain re: his son - they were hoping to stay in the house for 2 years - they wanted to flip the home and resell it later. Home to live in but also a personal business investment. The mortgage - monthly payments were $1700 - $1800 they shared expenses. It was not difficult for them to both make payments.

He had left Ventana and his job in Monterray and JA was working @ California Pizza Kitchen in Monterray and in Palm Dessert. She eventually got a 2nd job a Christo (?) in Palm Desert as a server.

He was not working when they bought the house and he got a job within 2 1/2 months of buying the home They signed off on Mortgage late May early Jun 2005 and lived there until Dec. 2006. They had separate bedrooms and shared a bed quite often. . . it wasn't for appearances for Jack - they had many items to put in the 3 bedroom house.

Summer of 2006 he was still living with JA - been together for 3 or 3.5 years - no further discussion about marriage - he was still in love w/JA and she was with him. He never saw JA act jealous of women he came in contact with. . . . .when working @ Ven Tana - there were a lot of females. .. . JA never acted jealous that Darryl saw. Never noticed her having a violent temper.

Remember when JA became involved w/PPL?
I do. - early 2006 maybe March or April . . . I don't recall how JA learned about PPL but she did share with me and it was exciting. . . . I remember her going to Las Vegas convention . .. she was still working 2 jobs until some point in the fall of 2006. The Mother of Darryl's son decided to move back to Monterray - he started school there at that time. Palm Desert is 9 to 10 hr drive from Monterray. He was going to follow Jack and began a strategy to move back to Monterray and continue to pay the mortgage in Palm Desert. Plan with Jodi - had not planned for her to move back - he hoped she would stay in the house until they could sell it.

Were you breaking up or was it going to be a long distance one?
Relationship was slowly deteriorating it was becoming clear that I would be moving back to Monterray by the end of 2006. . . . I saw a lot of changes in JA -she became a different person that what I had known previously. . . as she got more involved in PPL - she became less responsible in the household bills and PPL did not produce as much as she hoped . . . . PPL became her primary job and she did continue to work both jobs. . . .. In fall of 06 he was living in Desert and trying to get back to Monterray - she had continued to pay the Mortgage but had not paid the household bills and becoming behind in her bills. . . . after that she could not pay the Mortgage. . . . she was putting all of her faith into PPL.

I think she thought she was going to be prosperous - if not immediately - shortly, she was having some "magical thinking" of if we only work harder we will become proserperous. . . . JA was spiritual and had a belief in God - non-denominational. That changed = we discussed spirituality in the past - we were not actively religious = JA became more religious with the "church of Mormon". . . she studied it, there were prayer sessions in the home, I knew she was taking it more seriously. . . .

At that time we had stopped being intimate and JA told me she was saving herself for her husband - sleeping arrangements changed - she moved into her own room. . . . our intimate relations began in 2002 and ended in fall of 2006 after she had become involved wit PPL months before.

She was not trying to cling onto him . . the house eventually foreclosed in 2007. . . relationship was only an occassional phone call - he learned she left the house and moved to AZ.

Cross Exam-
moved from PalmDesert in fall 2006 -she didn't go with - we talked occassionally, we were friends - same thing in 2008 -sporadic friend contact - she knew his number and he knew hers. . . . if she needed something she would call right?
Objection - sustained.

May 2008 JA asked you for a favor - asked for gas cans to make a trip to Mesa AZ,she made more than 1 phone call (yes, yes whispered) . . . .. to ask for gas cans. . . . he asked "why do you need these gas cans" . . . she got testy? no not testy - she needed them - she was taking a long trip. . . .

He had a friend there and he told his friend that when he asked why she needed the gas cans "she got testy".
objection
Approach!

Looking at document

343gcog.png

she went to his house on June 3rd 2008, before her trip to Mesa

I wouldn't call it testy - she did answer me . . . she did tell me a long trip but not necessarily Mesa .. . .

Let's mark this - Exhibit #411 - read this highlighted portion . . .
ok -

Man in a dark suit, green shirt, and green tie on the stand -not showing his face. . . .

Does not refresh his recollection of her being"testy or going to Mesa". . . . she had plans to get lost? no!

She came by and had breakfast with you and your son . . . while there she checked her email on your computer - Matthew Mac Cartney (?) came by . .. don't recall.

She showed up around 7 or 7:30 and left around 10 or 10:30. . . . don't remember

What was your phone number at that time for the record?
Objection
Counsel approach

Jun3 3rd was when she went to ex's house.

Receipt shows 8.301 gallons of gas were purchased at 8:42 pm. Time shows 8:46 pm on the receipt in military time. The second receipt is 4 minutes later at the same gas station *Arco AM-PM store. This is in Pasadena, Ca.

The next receipt= 9.4 gallons.

8:53pm the next receipt (7 minutes later) is for more gas -2.77 gallons. She purchased 12.5 gallons at Arco AM-PM

At the Flying J store in Nevada (June 6th after the murder) Mastercard shows she purchased 12.175
gallons.

Miles/gallon of car X #gallons purchased =360 miles but Jodi purchased this amount twice, so she purchased enough gas for 720 miles from 7/3/2008- 7/6/2008.

In the fall of 2006 Jodi told Daryl "no more sex, because she was saving herself for marriage".

There were people from the Mormon church coming to visit in September 2006. Jodi began to take religion more seriously.

There were young men that would come over and read the bible while Daryl was there. This was in the summer of 2006.

Around that time Jodi stopped paying her half of the bills.

This is exhibit #412- go ahead and write your cell number you had in 2008, same number you have today - correct
Correct
412 will be sealed.

After she showed up that morning - she returned to give you a remote control about 10am. . . she told you she was going to head south -
doesn't remember color of car she was driving, his sister is named June Mahoney - a little over 300 miles 6-8 hr drive . . . . 10 gallons (2 red 5 gal gas cans). . . . at the time he didn't ask what she would use them for.

Prosecutor shows some exhibits to Darryl . . . .

Exhibit #237.001 - invoice of June 3, 2008 - same date JA came to Darryl's house - ample time to get down to pasadena - 8.3 gal - time is 8:42 pm, Arco gas in Pasaden

2046:50 or 8:46 - Arco - approx 4 minutes later - a gas sales receipt from same gas station from Arco AMPM - 3706 E Foothill Blvd - 9.5940 gallons purchased.

Another receipt for more gas 2.77 gal (about 7 minutes after first purchase) - total 12+ gallons . . . .

#237.018 exhibit - flying J Winnemucca NV - on 6/6/08 = Quantity 12.175 gal

Lets do some math . . . 12 gal tank X 30 miles = 360 miles - total 720 miles both ways . .. .ever been from Los Angeles to Mesa, AZ? no

This is my first visit to AZ . . .

later June 3 JA came over to your house . . . right

Date on gas receipt is 6/3, Date on exhibit 162 is . . . . ? . . . . looks to be June 4th
picture of her foot, TA bleeding on the floor.

She never returned the gas cans to him . . . he doesn't recall if he ever asked her about the gas cans. . . . .

He met her @ Ven Tana Inn and Spa . . . . he recalls meeting in fall of 2001, they started to date Jan 2003, spent night together @ San Francisco 49ers game . . . not the first time she ever had sex but they were both aggresive in sex. . . Darryl doesnt remember telling a person "she was pretty aggressive during sex" that first time ... let me show you something to refresh your memory (water being poured) . . . .

He doesn't recall saying that to someone else . . .
not only was she aggressive she was also enthusiastic . . . on 2 occassions they enjoyed anal sex . . . possibly once -Darryl doesn't recall.

In june 2005 he moved to

In may or june 2005 they bought the home in Desert . . . 365,000 for the house the mortgage was $2800 per month - her share would have been $1400 . . . thatis when JA obtained the breast implants . . . way before she was involved w/PPL? No she was involved w/PPL at the time . . .

You told people she obtained breast implants to fit in with your crowd . . . your prvious wife had breast implants . . . Idon't remember my wife's breast implants . . .

Don't remember telling people she got breast implants . . . . . they cost $300 each

May or June of 006 - JA said no more cursing when the Mormon missionaries were coming over . . . . fall of 06 no more sex because she was saving herself for marriage . . .

Mormon faith missonary's were visitin the home . . . she was taking religion more seriously at that time - young men would come over and sit down and read what ever bible study . . . . how often were they taking place in fall of 2006? I don't recall exactly

It was August 2006 she stopped payin the bills . . . some time in that summer. . . DArryl moved back to California and he was shouldering both his ongoing expenses and both his and JA's on that house.

She would take pictures of him nude, sleeping, one incident in the shower, Darryl did not ask her to take that picture . . . pics of him shaving,

Darryl asked JA to delete the pic in the shower. . . he denies that . . . has no idea if she deleted or not.

Telephone call in June 2008 - very aggitated? she was very upset - could not see if she was hysterical. . . said her friend had been killed and she didn't have an alibi .. . sh didn't say that she didn't have alibi. .. . she said she ran out of gas somewhere in the desert but not where .. .

Her friend had been killed . ..

had a conversation with her about giving interviews and contacting the media .. . she discussed 48 hrs show and meeting Jonathon Leech - Darryl and JA had dinner w/Jonathon Leech . . . . he doesn't remember her saying she wanted to get money.

Redirect. . .
did your sex life involved her wearing little boys underwear, wearing pig tails and school girl outfits, bending her over a desk, ejaculating on her face, calling her a wh*re, or a sl*t, or a 3 hole wonder? No (to all)

In 6/2006 - Darryls sister had a new baby . . JA was going to Pasadena to see the sister - he understood they did not meet . .. JA was going on a long trip to see friends in Big Sir, Los Angeles, Grand Canyon. . . . not Mesa but she said Arizona.

These notes that have been brought up to Darryl - did he look @ them before testifying? no don't know what those notes are . . . didn't verify those were accurate.

Said in those notes recall Missionary come over on Oct of 2008 but told Prosecutor Summer of 2008 . . . relationship with JA . . . .corrected 2006 . . .

Witness steps down - counsel please approach - JA watches toward the door as he walks out - she is writing something

That is all for today - back tomorrow @ 10:30 -

Please remember the admonision - use the keycard you were given to access back jury room.

Chris Hughes is back on the stand . . . verify his cellphone number and the text he sent to Mr. Searcy . ..Defense Atty will approach and ask the witness to write down his wife's cell number and their home phone number . . DA will not make them public.

Both current - witnesss doesn't have a home phone . . .

Ask the exhibit be admitted under seal Defense exhibit #12 for this hearing only

No conversations with Mr. Martinez until night prior to his testimony - on 1/27/2013 - can't recall if it was him or someone from his office . . . they said they may need him totestify - they didn't say a reason- just that they may or maynot need him . . . .arrangements were made to fly out the same day or the next day? Did you fly out same day or the morning you testified . . . got here Sunday night . . . .

When did you speak to Mr. Martinez? It was him or his office . . .

he inquired about Gus and the conversation we had . . . when did he dothat? we met Sunday night @ my hotel - about 20 min conversation. . . . about the phone call with gus. . . any text messages sent to Gus inquiry? yes

Testimony here yesterday - wife advised Gus was on witness list . . . how did she know - someone on Prosecution office called her and asked if she knew Gus Searcy - it was not Mr. Martinez - Chris' wife told him that.

Wife had contact with Prosecutor's office - inquiry about if she knew certain person - don't know who those persons were . . . just knew there was contact between his wife and County Prosecuting Atty's office . . . he knows about this instance with Gus for sure - but doesn't know if any contact other than that during trial if at all . . .

Wife spoke to them about Gus Searcy after the trial started - don't know about other witnesses . . . there were inquiries about people they know and friends they have had - she has had conversations with the Prosecutor and conversations with Defense Atty . . . dont know if she had conversations with Mr. Martinez directly.

Did tell Gus they were watching the trial . . . .speakin to Prosecutor ? his wife is watching the trial and looking for BS to notify the Prosecutor's office.
Chris told defense they can speak to his wife about what she is telling PA's office

Chris has not had conversations with Prosecutors office until travel arrangements. . .

Chris made a comment on letters that were forged or false . . .concluded they were forgeres or fakes and they were not entered into this trial . . . did someone from Prosecutor's office tell Chris the letters were fake? No

Chris said "I know the letters were fake - same way you know the letters were faked".

Defense Atty showing what has been marked as exhibit #4 . . . .

read this to yourself and see if you recognize it . . .
I do

I have read this before - the day you (Defense Atty) sent it to my wife . . .

Doesn't want wife email addy broadcast - shown to witness

Now the "supposed fakeness or forged documents that you were asserting 'I know were faked' were actually seen by an expert who took a look @ these letters of 1/27 of exhibit 4 were concluded it was highly probable that Travis Alexander wrote the letter.

No I am not aware of that but you told my wife it was 100% proveable -

Knew TA for a long time- as did his wife.

When wife received letters she said that didn't sound like TA - wow . . . I knew he had issues but not these - thank you so much . . . .

she went onto say - we are obviously freaking out . . . what ages did he prefer?

I am objecting - showing witness . . . is not appropriate

Counsel Approach!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuLuWooWoo