Greece Greece - Ben Needham, 21 mos, Isle of Kos, 24 July 1991

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Interpol Germany

An Interpol reconstruction of the boy found in the River Danube (Image: Interpol)
The mother of Ben Needham, the British toddler who disappeared from a Greekisland more than 30 years ago, has urged UK police to launch an investigation after a boy’s body was found in a German river.

Kerry Needham, who has never accepted her son is dead, has contacted South Yorkshire Police after seeing an Interpol appeal aimed at identifying the child, whose body was apparently dumped in the River Danube.

Ben, aged 21 months, went missing on Kos in 1991 - and while the boy found in Bavaria in 2022 is thought to be between five and six, Ms Needham, 51, still thinks UK officers need to contact German counterparts.

She told The Mirror: “I am hoping our British police will check this out and contact the German officers about this.

“We need to rule it out. I’ve always said all along that I don’t believe he’s died.”

Now Interpol DNA tracking experts have been called in and do not believe the boy is German.

Still desperate for answers, the mum has been researching child trafficking and says it was "rife" at the time of Ben's disappearance. She claims her family was told by a stranger that Ben "had been sold" but says the Greek police at the time never investigated it.

Interpol published details of the case in hopes of finding the boy's name and determining "the suspicious circumstances surrounding his death". He was around 3ft 6ins tall and weighed around two stone four lbs with brown hair and type O blood.

Interpol said the boy was found wrapped in foil in the River Danube, weighed down with a flagstone slab
Referring to the discovery in Germany, Kerry added: “Tying a concrete slab to that child’s chest is one way of disposing of a child who has been used and abused for as long as these people possibly can. We got sent an email with the link about this body being found in Germany.

"Since then we’ve had lots of comments about it too with other people saying the same - the reconstruction has a look of Ben. It’s only a model and it sounds really strange but there are kind of similarities but there are lots of little boys four or five who resemble Ben.

Now Interpol DNA tracking experts have been called in and do not believe the boy is German.

Still desperate for answers, the mum has been researching child trafficking and says it was "rife" at the time of Ben's disappearance. She claims her family was told by a stranger that Ben "had been sold" but says the Greek police at the time never investigated it.

Interpol published details of the case in hopes of finding the boy's name and determining "the suspicious circumstances surrounding his death". He was around 3ft 6ins tall and weighed around two stone four lbs with brown hair and type O blood.

Interpol said the boy was found wrapped in foil in the River Danube, weighed down with a flagstone slab
Referring to the discovery in Germany, Kerry added: “Tying a concrete slab to that child’s chest is one way of disposing of a child who has been used and abused for as long as these people possibly can. We got sent an email with the link about this body being found in Germany.

"Since then we’ve had lots of comments about it too with other people saying the same - the reconstruction has a look of Ben. It’s only a model and it sounds really strange but there are kind of similarities but there are lots of little boys four or five who resemble Ben.
Well he is somebody's child that is for sure. Poor lad!! RIP whoever he was. He does have a look of Ben about him so fingers crossed for Kerry. But whatever happens I hope this raises awareness of child trafficking.

Confusing...but the boy found in Germany couldn't be him. I am so sorry for her, though. She deserves to know what happened to her son.
Why not? He could potentially have been in a freezer for many years and now put in the water. Or other situations. JMO Whoever he is, he is someone's child. MOO

One thing with the articles is that it's said the body was likely to have been blue eyed, how the devil did they determine that, must have been analysis from the DNA build up.
I'm thinking a DNA profile has been made and possibly waiting for one from Kerry to look for a match, is Ben's dad on the scene is it known?

Why not? He could potentially have been in a freezer for many years and now put in the water. Or other situations. JMO Whoever he is, he is someone's child. MOO

I rule out the boy found in Germany having been frozen for many years before being dumped into the river, because I believe that would have been obvious during the autopsy.
However that is just my very NON- professional opinion.

With respect, that article says "probably not German."

"Interpol DNA Database Manager Francois-Xavier [L.] said: 'We have received 33 hints from the public.

'We can now assume that this boy was probably not German.' "

ETA: IMO the article is ignoring what the quote actually said. They have no way to "confirm" this for sure.

Last edited:
Isn’t dna just that like on 23 and me. Can immediately say where in the world you are likely from at the source. African / Caribbean / Gaelic ?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot!
Back