Found Deceased Greece - Dr. Natalie Christopher, 34, British, missing after jog, Ikaria, 5 August 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
5k from where she was staying, which is well within running distance. But, would a jogger be running on rugged terrain when alone? That doesn't ring true to me.

Could she have been abducted while on the run?

jmo

She's a mountain runner and is shown in some MSM pictures running on very rough terrain. I do think many people training for marathons run alone and it seems that was her custom, to get in a good long run on her training days.

Of course, it's still possible that there was foul play.

She's a mountain runner and is shown in some MSM pictures running on very rough terrain. I do think many people training for marathons run alone and it seems that was her custom, to get in a good long run on her training days.

Of course, it's still possible that there was foul play.
When I read this, I'm inclined to think accident.

jmo

I definitely did NOT mean stoned as in drugs lol I had wondered if there were several rocks or high levels of injury from several impacts etc.
I’m wondering how large this rock is... wishing I knew more about physics right about now..

Take a look at the second picture here, for the kind of terrain she was training to run on:

British woman, 34, missing on Greek island of Ikaria after going for a run and disappearing

When I saw it, I thought about how sure-footed she had to be, to do this, but I also thought about how a small mistake could be really painful or even fatal. I don't have statistical data, but there are enough of these kinds of athletic errors in the 30's and 40's (and later) that I believe one factor is simply the slow down in reaction that most of us have as we get older. Skiers are a good group in which to study such effects (or race car drivers). Sports where split second timing is a factor. I don't know of any studies though and it would be very hard to do such studies from an epidemiological point of view.

Let's just say that there are inherent risks to mountain running.

Take a look at the second picture here, for the kind of terrain she was training to run on:

British woman, 34, missing on Greek island of Ikaria after going for a run and disappearing

When I saw it, I thought about how sure-footed she had to be, to do this, but I also thought about how a small mistake could be really painful or even fatal. I don't have statistical data, but there are enough of these kinds of athletic errors in the 30's and 40's (and later) that I believe one factor is simply the slow down in reaction that most of us have as we get older. Skiers are a good group in which to study such effects (or race car drivers). Sports where split second timing is a factor. I don't know of any studies though and it would be very hard to do such studies from an epidemiological point of view.

Let's just say that there are inherent risks to mountain running.

I would tend to think that age affects reaction time significantly only after a person hits their 50s, maybe even early 60s depending on the type of sport. I mean people can still drive very well in their 50s and they also have considerably more experience, whereas a person in their 20s may take a stupid risk more easily. Professional athletes who are counted on to win games and bring in big money don't quit til their late 30s. JMO

ETA: Having said that, what does affect reaction times and attention is an empty stomach. I'm wondering if she'd had anything to eat before going on her morning run. Breakfast in their hotel was not served til 9.30, we know that from her bf who said he was waiting for her to return so they'd have breakfast. I know lots of people like to exercise first thing in the morning before they've had breakfast. I also know that whenever I've tried to do that, I felt semi-dizzy and got a headache for the rest of the day. Eight hours without glucose is too much, and then to go for a run still hungry on top of that? But there's no way to know what happened in her case.

Last edited:
I would tend to think that age affects reaction time significantly only after a person hits their 50s, maybe even early 60s depending on the type of sport. I mean people can still drive very well in their 50s and they also have considerably more experience, whereas a person in their 20s may take a stupid risk more easily. Professional athletes who are counted on to win games and bring in big money don't quit til their late 30s. JMO
I have a feeling that her reflexes and strength were just fine, but she made a misstep and fell. The ravine was simply too deep for her to survive the fall.

Right now, I'm leaning toward accident. But, of course, we don't have word from LE yet and we don't know COD.

I have just read an article in the Mail on line which says it was an accident as the path she was running on collapsed and she was hit by a falling boulder.
She sounded an absolutely amazing person.

in this article it says 1 km from the hotel and it looked like she “had been stoned” this is from google translate so of course it’s not to be taken exactly but I’m wondering if someone who knows the language well can weigh in?

Τη σορό φέρεται να έχει καταπλακώσει πέτρα

(it is) reported that the corpse had been crushed (by a) stone

(my translation only)

edit: corrected "stones" to "stone"

Νεκρή σε χαράδρα 20 μέτρων η 35χρονη αστροφυσικός στην Ικαρία |thetoc.gr

Last edited:

ETA: Having said that, what does affect reaction times and attention is an empty stomach. I'm wondering if she'd had anything to eat before going on her morning run. Breakfast in their hotel was not served til 9.30, we know that from her bf who said he was waiting for her to return so they'd have breakfast. I know lots of people like to exercise first thing in the morning before they've had breakfast. I also know that whenever I've tried to do that, I felt semi-dizzy and got a headache for the rest of the day. Eight hours without glucose is too much, and then to go for a run still hungry on top of that? But there's no way to know what happened in her case.

If this were true, we'd see a lot more 30 and 40 year old Olympians. 40 year olds would as fast out of the starting blocks as the younger participants (they aren't, although certainly there are rare individuals still competing in their late 20's or possibly 30's). If we widen to include national levels of sporting events, it's clear that there are very few really speedy football players in their 40's. Or basketball players. Or figure skaters, for that matter.

Of course there are other variables (although if a person is routinely exercising before breakfast, that shouldn't have that much effect). Many people are athletes and do intermittent fasting, in fact, it's quite common.

Both of the Williams sisters have slowed done a little (and been bested by younger people).

The sport I follow most closely in this regard is climbing. I think Alex Honnold is taking fewer chances these days and shifting out of his free solo mode (for him, going super fast on a less challenging route than his free solo ventures is easier; it woudl be like Dr Christopher giving up mountain running to focus on speed in marathon running).

Here's a chapter on the topic:

Handbook of the Psychology of Aging

The authors claim that each decade makes a difference in athletic performance. My point is that a person attempting to beat their own personal best (set a decade earlier?) may put themselves at risk. While many people still run marathons or climb even in their 80's and 90's, their performance is not as good, and they need to account for that.

Making a mistake in grabbing a loose boulder can happen to many people, regardless of age; the most common feature of these types of accidents is being alone.

So very sad to hear Natalie was found dead,but am relieved to hear it was an accident rather than foul play.
My thoughts are with her boyfriend,friends and family.

A person who participated in the rescue operation told Greece's Open TV that Christopher may have fallen in her attempt to climb, or descend, a cliff-face.

He said: "Unfortunately it appears she caught onto a rock which came away and crushed her."

Natalie Christopher found dead: Greek Police find British astrophysicist's body on Ikaria

Why would she suddenly decide to go rock climbing when she had gone on a run? Did she slip and fall while running too close to the edge and then try to climb back up? It doesn't make much sense to me that she would suddenly decide to climb (or descend) a steep cliff face. Those cliffs look very steep and dangerous to me. Seems like this "rock climbing" explanation is the speculation of the rescue worker. I think I'm going to wait until LE makes a statement. MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neilyboy13
Back