Found Deceased Greece - Dr. Suzanne Eaton, 60, American, gone for a run, Crete, 2 Jul 2019 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
silver_alert_viologos.jpg

65950179_10213593623786259_7715873532827140096_n.jpg

Greek police on Friday continued its search for Dr. Suzanne Eaton, an American scientist missing in Crete since Tuesday.

Her nephew, Callie Broaddus, appealed through the social media for information regarding her whereabouts. She says that Eaton, a scientist at Max Planck, Dresden, who was in Crete for a conference, “has not been heard or seen since Tuesday afternoon.”

The American scientist was staying at the Orthodox Academy of Crete near the town of Kolymvari, west of Chania.

According to witnesses quoted by local site cretalive.gr, the 62-year-old was last seen in the surrounding area of the Academy, where the conference was held, around 4 p.m. on Tuesday. She was wearing an orange dress, which was found in her room, but her sports shoes were not found.

Broaddus believes that she may have gone on a run, “as her running shoes were not in her hotel, though unfortunately her phone is.”

Search Continues for American Scientist Missing in Crete | GreekReporter.com

Note: age discrepancy, 60 in the missing poster and 62 in the article.

https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2019/07/05/suzanne-eaton-missing-missing-chania-crete/

Authorities and volunteers on Crete on Thursday were conducting a search for an American molecular biologist who has been missing since Tuesday, the Creta Post website has reported.

Dr. Suzanne Eaton, aged 60, was attending a conference at the Orthodox Academy of Crete in Kolymbari in Hania, when she disappeared. She was last seen around lunchtime on Tuesday, according to the report.

American scientist missing on Crete | Kathimerini

BBM. That conflicts with the other report she was last seen at 4 PM. I wonder who saw her last? Was she seen on video returning to her hotel room? MOO.

Article says she had run the day before and that her phone was in her room.

#1- Seems odd to go for a run without your phone

#2- If she did normally run with her phone then her past routes should be in the location history

#3- Crete is a scrubby semi-arid place much like southern California, she could have run off-roads easily, but if she were lost she would be fairly easy to spot (unless she is in a ravine)

If she was last seen at around noon, didn't she have lunch somewhere? When does she usually go running? Wouldn't it be too hot at that time of the day?

ETA, according to the last link posted, she was “definitely seen at 3:00 p.m. playing piano in the Academy."

So according to the Searching for Suzanne page, she could have gone for a run between 3 and 5pm. This still seems too hot to me.

Last edited:
I second that the Greek isles are usually very safe ( family is from there - travel every year, every other year to them). I also second that 3-5pm is a very hot time of day to go running. But perhaps she wanted to get a short workout in before dinner etc. I wonder if she got injured as roads tend to be rocky and uneven or got heat fatigue. Hoping she is found soon!

On Searching for Suzanne fb they are asking the public to review aerial footage of the area: https://cloud.mpi-cbg.de/index.php/s/PD7owna6U83ZUqt

According to Missing Pieces Network fb she went for a run to the north of the conference site (route D) the day before. On the day she went missing she was not spotted on the surveillance camera located south of the venue.

Missing Pieces Network

66225278_2064596380513196_4827805963853496320_n.jpg

I wonder if she went running the same time the day before. It is quite hot though 5pm would be a bit more manageable than 3pm. I don’t think she planned to go too far if she didn’t take her phone with her and it says she usually ran around 30 minutes a day. So an average of 3 miles plus or minus half a mile. Unless she ran in a circular direction it means she would most likely not ran more than 1.5-2 miles from her hotel.

In a statement Friday, the institute said Eaton's running shoes hadn't been found, fueling speculation that she disappeared during a jog. But given Tuesday's intense heat, the statement added, it's also possible she went for a swim.

The institute described Eaton as a leading scientist in her field, as well as a strong athlete, a runner and a senior black belt in Tae Kwon Do.

Search to expand for American scientist missing on Greek island

Search expands for American scientist missing in Greece

The broadened investigation will include specially trained dogs as well as equipment necessary for searching at sea.

According to a Facebook post by Eaton’s family, all of her belongings including her passport, wallet and phone, were still in her hotel room. Several of her family members, including her husband and two children, have gone to Crete to assist in the search.

At this point it appears that she can take care of herself. I am thinking she succumbed to the heat, or maybe even went swimming and something happened. I truly believe that unless there was more than 1 attacker, she could fight anyone trying to do her harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader