Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Qmfr:

Ok I randomly hit refresh and a slot for today suddenly came up?!! It’s been over a week’s wait until now? :eek: PTL I wonder if it was an error! Did someone just cancel??!! I randomly just clicked on different things and hit order!!!!
That's what I have been doing. Putting items in my cart and waiting for slots to open up.

My husband is doing a quick supply run to the grocery store this evening. The last time he went shopping by himself I was recovering from surgery and he came home with $42 worth of candy. It should be interesting to see what he'll bring home this time! He's going with a list so he can get in and out fast but he's terrible for impulse buying. :)

I just went to all 3 stores in my town. Dollar General, Family $, and our Kroger affiliate. I *think* I can hobble together my pandemic versions of white chili and beef vegetable soup. Personal photo attached of lunchmeat area which includes lunchmeat (packaged), lunchables, and breakfast meat.

@Tricia we need a recipe thread in the pandemic section please. "Buy 4 random cans of food and eat for a week."

Picture too large. The whole section is essentially empty.

I was so upset at the time because I couldn't help him eat the candy. Now I'd gladly welcome anything other than the sesame snaps I've been binge eating! :)
I have become a food hoarder. I don't throw away the leftovers as I used to do...even after a few days. I have some weird food paranoias that I'm having to get over real fast. I only eat 2 breakfast biscuits instead of the pack of 4. I have already lost 2 pounds more after the 8 I lost from having the flu in January.

I have become a food hoarder. I don't though away the leftovers as I use to do...even after a few days. I have some weird food paranoias that I'm having to get over real fast. I only eat 2 breakfast biscuits instead of the pack of 4. I have already lost 2 pounds more after the 8 I lost from having the flu in January.

Me too! I had a breakdown today over how many eggs my family was eating because I convinced myself that we need to save them because I didn't know if we'd find them again. When I started buying extra food to pack away for hard times, I convinced myself that it would be a great time to lose weight and bought a lot healthier than I normally would...but now I'm missing out on chocolate bars and potato chips.
That's a lot of weight to lose. I hope you're feeling better now and getting back on your feet. The flu has been terrible this year!

For those who can't find milk, heavy hipping cream can be diluted and used in most recipes instead of milk. Almond milk is also wonderful when one tablespoon is added to one cup. You can also make whip cream or butter from it.

ETA One tablespoon cream to one cup almond milk.

Last edited:
Our vet just dropped off meds and a powerful animal-friendly disinfectant. She texted me to let me know she was outside, put everything on the doorstep. Once I heard her go to her car, I gathered everything in and bellowed a ‘stay safe’ at her. I do not like the new normal but I am so grateful for a vet like her.
I’m heading to bed now - good night, WSers!

Our vet just dropped off meds and a powerful animal-friendly disinfectant. She texted me to let me know she was outside, put everything on the doorstep. Once I heard her go to her car, I gathered everything in and bellowed a ‘stay safe’ at her. I do not like the new normal but I am so grateful for a vet like her.
I’m heading to bed now - good night, WSers!
What is the name of the disinfectant?

I think that I should start conserving my food. I have been going through my treats like @margarita25 was going through her survival Tater Tots. I bought ice cream, should have known better. Well, I did know better but bought it anyway. It is gone, of course. Why oh why did I buy 10 packages of bake it yourself Toll House Cookies? It seemed like such a good idea at the time. You know, maybe once a week or so bake up a batch of cookies. R-i-g-h-t!!

Yep. You have to go through the process of learning the hard way. That’s what I had to do. Beer, chocolate, trail mix, ice cream none of that will last long in my house.

In fact, I made a “survival slop” that’s so bad you don’t want to eat it hahaha

Yep. You have to go through the process of learning the hard way. That’s what I had to do. Beer, chocolate, trail mix, ice cream none of that will last long in my house.

In fact, I made a “survival slop” that’s so bad you don’t want to eat it hahaha
Or you buy so much of the candy you can't possibly eat it all in one day. LOL.

Omg I’m instacart shopping right now. Everything is being refunded because they don’t have it!!! I am asking for whatever replacements can be provided.
moooogarita, You ain't gonna like those sardines canned in beet and turnip juice, they are gonna send you.....LOL !.....Runawaaaay !.........................moo

What is the name of the disinfectant?
It’s called Just4. I don’t like using bleach because, cats. And the Anigene I used pre-virus is apparently not effective against Coronavirus. It’s my understanding this one is effective against it.
It has to be diluted 1:100, so I’m hoping this will last a good long time.

Pugmom. Thank you for a hearty laugh!!!

My husband is doing a quick supply run to the grocery store this evening. The last time he went shopping by himself I was recovering from surgery and he came home with $42 worth of candy. It should be interesting to see what he'll bring home this time! He's going with a list so he can get in and out fast but he's terrible for impulse buying. :)

Qmfr:
Ok I randomly hit refresh and a slot for today suddenly came up?!! It’s been over a week’s wait until now? :eek: PTL I wonder if it was an error! Did someone just cancel??!! I randomly just clicked on different things and hit order real quick so as to not lose the spot. Wow what a blessing.

Good for you!!

I'm was lucky to snag a ShopRite delivery slot a week ago for tomorrow, which was the last slot available a week in advance. I was able to adjust my order and finalized it today. Whatever doesn't come I may send my husband to Acme during senior hours on Monday.

A week ago, after I put the ShopRite order in, I went to PeaPod (Stop&Shop) which offer deliveries up to 2 weeks in advance, so that order is coming March 28th and I can adjust it all next week, depending on what comes in from ShopRite.

It's a struggle, I don't know what will come with my orders. My last order was missing $150 in items (no meat, pasta, canned anything, rice, cleaning products, etc).

I refuse to go to a supermarket, Walmart or any large store. I'll stop in RiteAid or CVS where I don't have to be in an aisle with anyone else. I carry a small hand sanitizer and use it after I walk out.

More good news (I hope): I got a call from the grocery store where I put in a curb-side pick order for next week. She asked if I was interested in getting my order today. I said absolutely! She explained they are out of many things but will pull all she can and then call and ask me about substitutions. I sure hope they have some beef, chicken and salad. Those are mostly what I need. I don't have the budget to fill my freezer like all the panic shoppers. I shop week to week for perishables. If there's no meat, then we will be eating a lot of rice and beans for our protein.
Try calling your local food bank. That's where all our restaurants and bars donated their perishables. Our food bank has set up outside pick-up so all you have to do is drive up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neejo