Guilty of first degree murder/verdict watch #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that my house is half-way quiet, I just listened to the verdict & sentencing again and just caught at the very end the DT filed a notice to file an appeal, which was then recorded on the court record and Judge Stephens immediately denied bond. I got great pleasure hearing him say that, knowing that JY heard that too and he must now go straight to jail, and then to prison, during the appeal process.

Tar8600, I am thinking about you and your coworkers, friends, others who knew JY back in the day. I will be interested in hearing their thoughts--especially if any were NG folks, what their thoughts are on the verdict. So fill us in as you can since you are a local there.
And let me say, I am so happy you joined us here and spent time with us sharing your first hand knowledge about various issues in this case. Thank you!

Hi NCEast,
Just to make it clear, I never knew JY. I have only lived in Brevard for a few years. My husband, his family, many of my coworkers, and friends are life long residents. That's how I've gotten my information about JY and his family.

I happen to be out of town today, but I have heard from 5 people who knew the Youngs. All 5 of them believe that justice was served.

When I get back to work, I'm sure I will hear more and will pass it along.

There just haven't been any people that I've talked to that thought JY was innocent as this process was going along.

I think that most of us here in Brevard are very thankful that a murderer is no longer in our community and that justice for Michelle and Rylan was served.

The Youngs and their deceptions do not represent the citizens of Brevard, NC.

I'm satisfied today..12 people did their job/duty and they came to the same conclusions ..GUILTY..and what's more satisfying is Judge Stevens knew he was Guilty, he was totally ok with this verdict!! I don't want to hear from any of those jurors. Its done/over..It's sad to say we will move on to the next DV murder and we will all come together here and pray for the victim!! I pray for more jurors like this for the next trial, and hope they continue to send a message to those abusers!!!

We can't let one go free because we don't have the other yet! And I don't believe there was an accomplice anyway. Jason used that size 10 shoe to throw people off IMO.

Reminds me of this quote:

“For every crime you commit there's fifty ways you can screwup...if you can think of 25 of them you're a genius”. . .Mickey Rourke, Body Heat

JY thought he was smarter than most, NOT. . . .you can fool some of the people. . .

Now that my house is half-way quiet, I just listened to the verdict & sentencing again and just caught at the very end the DT filed a notice to file an appeal, which was then recorded on the court record and Judge Stephens immediately denied bond. I got great pleasure hearing him say that, knowing that JY heard that too and he must now go straight to jail, and then to prison, during the appeal process.

lol...no free get out jail card for this unmentionable this time. . .go to jail, go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars.:jail:

lol...no free get out jail card for this unmentionable this time. . .go to jail, go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars.:jail:

LOL... I almost said that! He almost looked shocked! Guess they didn't prepare him for the possibility of a G and of Judge Stephens saying no bond... he also mouthed something after the verdict, but I can't tell what since it's from the side.

1/2 way through the special, it's pretty good!

Anybody who hates the state and is glad to be gone and is gone thats a win win!

This trial went as clean as one can and the judge was fair. If this bothered somebody process-wise then prepare to see the same elsewhere, if you are lucky.

Worthless murderer is finally in jail. The justice system worked. There are some in Wake who perhaps wish JY got away with it, but most could see what happened and appreciate the verdict.

If he had an accomplice, then hopefully that person will run scared until caught. But for now, the person clearly responsible for the murder is where he needs to be.

Great post. JY stole 6 years as a free man from the North Carolina society. I am very glad that no one else got hurt.

I was in a meeting from 3-5 and came out to find the verdict and was stunned...not because he was found guilty becuase I've been convinced for years he was guilty but because it was finally over and there was some justice for Michelle's family.

I'm not sure all the reasons I was drawn to this case from day 1 - definitely sweet little CY ...and I identified a lot with Michelle early on - maybe it was being from the Northeast, cheerleader, etc. was in an abusive relationship in my 20s...found out later that she had been assaulted or some sort of abuse in college which I had been right out of high school...I'm not sure. I'm just so sad that the man that she put her heart and soul into trusting, sharing her life with, and protecting her -- she had to look into his eyes as he ended her life...what a miserable excuse for a man. I hope LF and MF can at least enjoy the beauty the see in CY's face -- a piece of Michelle that will always be in their lives...

I am thankful to this jury and to the few jurors on the first jury who held out..grateful to the PT team...grateful to all the mods here for keeping this place so hospitable and fair..and for the passion of the WS community. I appreciate being able to share this experience with all of you...

RIP Michelle and Rylan...your murderer will never be free again.

LOL... I almost said that! He almost looked shocked! Guess they didn't prepare him for the possibility of a G and of Judge Stephens saying no bond... he also mouthed something after the verdict, but I can't tell what since it's from the side.

1/2 way through the special, it's pretty good!
I don't think he looked shocked, I don't think he looked anything. Kinda like a shark with dead doll eyes.

I'm local to the case and I was a "NG person".

I've been following it since they found Michelle's body, and the really sad thing is that Jason has being blamed since that first newscast.

I partially blame the defense because they didn't try to get the trial out of Wake County. The people here are notorious rubber stampers on perceived domestic murder cases, no matter what the evidence.

I guess at this point I feel like he will lose appeal, since I think the only 2 things he has to push are the instruction that they could consider an accomplice, and the addition to Murder 2 on the verdict sheet when the prosecution case clearly implied Murder 1 and Murder 1 only. The jury could not have, by law, voted him guilty of Murder 2, because if they believed the theory, it was premeditated. Murder 2 was added as a safety net because they thought it may serve as a good safety net in case there needed to be a compromise between a potentially hung jury.

I really hate this state, and I am glad I left Wake County a few years back. It's scary.

Also, to all who think he's guilty - Are any of you concerned that the case is closed when it's obvious that 2 people were involved (whether Jason was one of them is irrelevant) - someone got away with murder.

The Murderer in the First Degree JY is very selfish and IF he had help (and I don't think he did) he will find a way to make it known. He committed the murder of his wife and unborn baby nothing nothing is sacred to JY.

This is the face of domestic violence that people struggle not just to understand, but to even believe when they see it. I said it in a previous post...it's not just some drunk guy staggering around <modsnip>, taking potshots at his <modsnip> wife for having burnt the meatloaf.

It's your neighbor, smiling at you from the mailbox. Somebody you work with. The woman in a track suit jogging with her baby, the guy who goes to work in a suit. DV isn't black eyes and drunken potshots. It's the process of methodically dismantling another human being by whatever means are available. Verbal abuse, emotional abuse, sexual, financial, physical...even courts can be used to abuse. (To wit, the BC case where NC ended up on trial. That is exactly what an abuser does - turns it all back around on their target, and a court can certainly facilitate that process.)

There is an overwhelming wall facing people who are victims of DV, and that is the disbelief of others.

The signs whoosh over the heads of so many at lightening speed. But they're there. We (and by we I mean a substantial chunk of the WS community) could see it clearly in both the BC and JY cases, but there are bezillions of people out there who can't see it. Can't take a person's word for it because it doesn't fit the stereotype. Pshaw it because there's no black eye or broken nose. Believe the abuser, because he or she is so very good at what they do - hey, they roped their victim in, right? Their victims actually loved them at some point.

NC tried to leave. MY would have tried it had she had the chance. People see this in retrospect, possibly, but does someone really have to be dead before its apparent? We need to have some kind of societal zero tolerance attitude, as we do for child abuse, on this sort of thing. We need to do a better job of teaching our kids what constitutes abuse. You can't always see it, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. And it will escalate until it IS visible.

For the folks watching this trial who can't see the DV in any of this outside of a severe beating, there is all sorts of info out there you can read. Red flags, patterns of behavior, the power wheel. The subtleties are myriad. The perpetrators are wily.

I'm so pleased about this verdict, but lord have mercy, the cases just keep coming. I hope people pay attention to this one. I hope at some point courts and juries send a clear message that they're wise to the tricks of the likes of BC and JY and will make them pay for having the audacity to think they can get away with it. We have to be savvier than they are. I think the courts are catching up (i.e. recognizing that courts can actually be a tool of an abuser). Everybody else needs to catch up too.

A thanks just wasn't enough. Having been in those shoes (in more ways than one), I thank God every day that I haven't ended up being one of those cases. I do hope everyone (including the courts) are starting to understand that the non-physical forms of abuse are just as serious and are often a precursor to physical violence. I sincerely appreciate your post.

I'm glad the judge made it crystal clear that this case was a domestic violence situation. Even before the brutal murder, MY was a victim of abuse and an increasingly caustic and abusive situation. Verbal, control, a tearing down of her self-esteem over time. Telling her SHE was the one with the problems and had to fix herself. All these are signs and they only got worse. That abuse culminated in 30+ blows until her head was nothing but pulp. Sometimes the first time (physical violence) is the only and last time!

Hopefully people will come to understand that it's not just the spouses who push, shove, hit, slap, kick who are abusers.

And yes, domestic violence can be perpetrated by both men and women and I am not implying it can't. Statistically it occurs more with men as the abuser.

RIP Michelle and Rylan.

I don't think he looked shocked, I don't think he looked anything. Kinda like a shark with dead doll eyes.

At that moment, the only thoughts going through his mind were how he should have done things differently, if only I would have or could have or thought of, etc. . . his only regret is how he didn't execute a better plan.

He should have given up smoking cigars.,lol

Wondering what MM and the other women who had affairs with JY while he was married to MY are thinking tonight?

At that moment, the only thoughts going through his mind were how he should have done things differently, if only I would have or could have or thought of, etc. . . his only regret is how he didn't execute a better plan.
No such thing as the perfect murder. Good defense lawyers and bad jury's, yes. Just ask OJ and Casey.

I'm sure that, to Jason, this is somehow Michelle's fault, too. I am very glad there won't be a second Mrs. Young.

The one thing that I am bothered with is that the jury will not speak about their decision. I think, that if you come to a verdict, be it guilty or innocent, then you should be able to stand behind your verdict and state why you voted a certain way. I'm not arguing that the jurors should be questioned, or mocked, or revered for their decision, but I think, in exchange for locking someone away for life (or letting someone free), they should be willing to divulge why they reached the decision they did.

I understand our system is not built this way, but I do think it is a flaw. I know there are many on here, who would have voted Guilty, and would have been able to state proudly why they did so. I would like to hear from the jury the reasons why they have sent a man away for life. Don't get me wrong, I think he is guilty, but it is a hard burden the jurors have, the power to decide this man's life. In exchange for that burden and that power, I think they should be willing to tell the world why.

On a separate note, someone asked in the old thread if there is any reversible error. I don't think Stephens is the type of Judge to leave much room for an overturn on appeal. I think that his most susceptible decisions would have been allowing in the evidence of CY's doll play, and the information on the wrongful death suit. I don't know that it will reach the level of reversible error, since I don't personally think either of those tipped the scales in favor of guilty (other things did that, would be my belief). So, these may be ruled "error", but I'm not sure they will be reversible if they are even error.

I don't find it to be a flaw because of safety issues. As others have said, we are compelled as citizens to serve on juries. It is not voluntary. My privacy is sacrosanct. I wouldn't want every potential nut out there or disgruntled friend or family member knowing my name and face and be able to track me. That's what happens once they speak publicly. They are protected until then.

But, as an attorney, you know that usually in jury trials, at least a few of the jurors will stay behind and talk to counsel and explain their reasoning. It helps the side that did not prevail, understand why.

Does the Young family have any contact with Cassidy? Visits? Please tell me no....

Now that he is going to prison, they will be unlikely to see Cassidy unless Michelle's family allows it. jason cannot compel such visits and grandparent rights are next to nothing. However, in many states, a convicted person may retain visitation rights and be able to force visitation with the child, at the prison! I suppose if jason did that and prevailed in such a request, he could have his parents there at the same time.

Ultimately, though, it's really going to be up to Michelle's family to determine if Cassidy maintaining a relationship with her father's family is in her best interest. There is bad blood and I believe jason's mother acted poorly and covered for her son. But Cassidy may love grandma and want to see her. It's a tough issue.

I'm local to the case and I was a "NG person".

I've been following it since they found Michelle's body, and the really sad thing is that Jason has being blamed since that first newscast.

I partially blame the defense because they didn't try to get the trial out of Wake County. The people here are notorious rubber stampers on perceived domestic murder cases, no matter what the evidence.

I guess at this point I feel like he will lose appeal, since I think the only 2 things he has to push are the instruction that they could consider an accomplice, and the addition to Murder 2 on the verdict sheet when the prosecution case clearly implied Murder 1 and Murder 1 only. The jury could not have, by law, voted him guilty of Murder 2, because if they believed the theory, it was premeditated. Murder 2 was added as a safety net because they thought it may serve as a good safety net in case there needed to be a compromise between a potentially hung jury.

I really hate this state, and I am glad I left Wake County a few years back. It's scary.

Also, to all who think he's guilty - Are any of you concerned that the case is closed when it's obvious that 2 people were involved (whether Jason was one of them is irrelevant) - someone got away with murder.

I'm not from Wake county, North Carolina or anywhere near there. I did not watch either trial and only read posts on here and posts by friends of Jason on a blog, describing his character and stating they were either unsure of his guilt or could not believe it. Instead, I decided he was guilty pretty much immediately after reading posts that indicated that:

1. He never talked to investigators.
2. He never asked what happened to his wife and unborn child.
3. He never talked to investigators.
4. He never asked what happened to his wife and unborn child.
5. He never talked to investigators.
6. He never asked what happened to his wife and unborn child.

Add to that that he had motive (affairs, insurance), the opportunity (clear ability to get in and out of his hotel without detection, apparent tampering of the hotel video and security door, timeline allowed him to drive back, kill wife and go back to area of hotel), and the means (his wife was likely sleeping when overpowered and jason is not a weak or small person), and my feeling was solidified.

Then, I hear:
1. how a gas station attendant testified he purchased gas in an area and at a time that indicated he was not in the hotel all night, nor in the hotel area all night
2. how jason wrote e-mails indicating that he believed this would all blow over
3. how he refused to fight for custody of his child which would have forced him to answer questions
4. how he had shoes a year before the murder that matched bloody prints, and that looked similar to shoes he was wearing at the hotel, but that were not found in his luggage when he returned
5. how he called his SIL repeatedly, and unusually, the morning of the murder, to go into his house to get something (which points to wanting the body to be discovered before he was due home and for Cassidy to be discovered before too long),
6. how he had been violent with an ex girlfriend, and;
7. how he had been having an affair and intense marital problems and indicated the marriage was "done".

I was not influenced one bit by Wake county politics, media, nothing. I analyzed the facts as described repeatedly by posters here, as well as the inconsistencies, like the size 10 shoe prints, and possible innocent explanations by people who felt there was reasonable doubt, for everything I felt pointed to his guilt.

To me, this is a pretty overwhelming case against jason young. Everything points directly to him except those size 10 shoes, really and neighbors spotting cars at the house. But there are often discrepancies and inconsistencies in these cases that can never be explained.

For example, in scott peterson's case, a neighbor reported seeing a van near the home and a woman who looked like Laci walking a dog that morning. These things are not unusual.

But when looking at the totality of the evidence, as long as the inconsistencies do not definitively rule out guilt and as long as they are outweighed by that which points reasonably to guilt, I am not swayed by them and I believe it is not really reasonable to be swayed by them.

So, to my lawyer brain, it's not the defense's fault or the media's fault that jason young was found guilty today. It's his fault. IMO, he set that train a rollin' when he viciously beat his pregnant wife to death. The evidence is clear to me and paints a definite picture.

Finally, I do not think the size 10 shoe prints prove there was an accomplice, for the reasons many on here have listed. I will add that spousal murder is most often a solitary act.

ETA: Welcome to Websleuths and I hope you keep posting! It's good to have opposing viewpoints around here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BOTTERB