GUILTY - Wayne Millard Murder Trial - Dellen Millard Charged With Murder - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
WM seems to have been a real animal lover. If the cats were going to shoot anybody, it would have been DM. (Unlike dogs, cats are good judges of character IMHO.)
I think one way to look at it for those who think she's been unreliable and dishonest is that if she has ever been dishonest in her trial testimony it is partly specifically because she's changed her life. If she's fudged her knowledge or her involvement in any way it's because her new life and efforts towards it could feel at risk. If she still had the priorities and loyalties of her old life - not ratting, not helping the cops, being "solid" etc. etc. she'd have nothing at risk and could just stonewall. Instead she's taken the path that any of us would have, and testified on behalf of the Crown and society, however imperfectly. Even with her flawed evidence, I think she compares favourably to witnesses like SS, the Lisas and CN, who were making every effort to effectively not contribute on the stand. MM has always wanted to contribute, and I think that's very much to her credit.
I have changed my mind about her, her testimony in Wayne s murder was important to the crown and it is true she could have been like CN and not co operated at all.
I hope that things turn out better for her if she keeps away from people with bad influences.

I think she lied about stuff in the two previous trials. Any inconsistencies in this trial are likely due to memory issues. That isn't lying as far as I'm concerned. Her recollections jive with phone records, and remember she didn't specify a date. It was Smich that told her that WM died the night Millard stayed over.

Plus, she's had to testify out of chronological order, that can't be easy. It's hard enough for all of us to keep details straight, and we sleuth it LOL.

Well said, Kamille.
It reminds me of the balance of probabilities that the coroner was talking about in his testimony. Adding up all the evidence provided, as you say, murder by DM does seem to be the most reasonable conclusion. But if the judge thinks that there is even a small chance that it was suicide, then she can't convict... right?

And going back to that balance of probabilities... I was just looking at the tweets from Day 3 of the trial with the coroner and Det. Hutcheon where he says that the coroner told him on the scene that it "seems like 60 to 70 per cent suicide, 30 to 40 per cent suspicious." Hutcheon said he requested that the homicide detective come but that the homicide detective said he would not attend the scene and that he would instead follow up the next morning by looking at the report and the photographs. How is that acceptable?! 60-40 is only slightly more than the two things being equally possible...meaning the coroner really didn't know or even feel strongly that it was suicide...meaning that there was a fair chance it was suspicious. One would think that in such a situation the homicide detective would not have a choice but to attend the scene! I'm just thinking of all of the evidence analysis and testing that might have been done had he gone to the scene as was requested!
Also, the coroner stated that his determination of suicide was helped by history he got from the family members (MB and DM taking about trouble with finances, alcohol, depression). It's amazing how all of the professionals on the scene were influenced by what DM and MB had to say. And I guess why wouldn't they be? In most cases I imagine it's helpful for family members to be providing background information... But anyway...I'll end my rant here. :p

After so many cases have been bungled lately, especially by TPS, I wish every case could start off as "suspicious" until proven otherwise. I know the time and resources would make that difficult, but so many cases slip through the cracks otherwise. No matter what the situation, each case should be taken seriously as if it is a crime from the get go. TB was considered a crime early on, and look at the difference between that case and LB which was brushed off due to her mental health and work situation.

After so many cases have been bungled lately, especially by TPS, I wish every case could start off as "suspicious" until proven otherwise. I know the time and resources would make that difficult, but so many cases slip through the cracks otherwise. No matter what the situation, each case should be taken seriously as if it is a crime from the get go. TB was considered a crime early on, and look at the difference between that case and LB which was brushed off due to her mental health and work situation.
The whole suicide thing just does a number on my head, my heart truly goes out to anyone who has lost a loved one to suicide. I can only imagine the anguish and guilt, anger and sadness, the full rainbow of emotions that they would go through, and likely forever. I *can't* imagine topping it off by having police treat those same people as potential suspects.... to only add to their grief and woes.

But on the other hand, how many murders are slipping by as suicides, and yes, better to know for sure. Is it possible that suicide victims might think twice before taking the plunge so to speak, or to at least be sure to leave a note, or somehow better protect their loved ones, if they knew from media that loved ones would be potentially suspected of their murders once they're dead? Police wouldn't necessarily have to treat loved ones badly, just to do their due diligence as a matter of course, in all suicide deaths.

Apparently this case did start out as 'suspicious' though, and it didn't make much difference. It sure casts a different light for me, when reading in the news of all these people reportedly killing themselves lately.. now I am thinking.. are we sure about that?

Didn't Smith say later on that he didn't touch the body, or am I remembering incorrectly?
I don't know what I'm thinking of there, but after looking back, Smith definitely more than once said he had touched WM's body.. so what was the judge thinking when she interrupted to say otherwise??

From AC's Liveblog when Pillay was cross examining:

May 31 2018 2:28 PM
Smith says he touched Millard's neck at the scene, and he was cold.

No, I really doubt it. It’d be different if a judge interjected with witness testimony. Prosecution or defence attorneys weren’t testifying or introducing evidence during their closing statements.
What about when, like in this instance, she is saying something wrong?

Last edited:
I'm finding this new platform for WS a little tricky because I find it 'hiding' posts, and at some point it'll all open up and I'll see that I've been typing away and have inadvertently missed a pile of posts in between.. so I hope that is not happening here.. I just wanted to post that ABro wrote a little bit on her website about the seeming general interpretation that people were coming away with after reading coverage from the closing arguments. She was there and feels the Crown did a great job, so this is fantastic to hear. Article here:

I’ve just read some of the social media commentary on the closing arguments at the trial of Dellen Millard for the murder of his father Wayne, and I can wholeheartedly say it does not, in my opinion, reflect what happened in court today.
Lead Crown Attorney Jill Cameron did a fabulous job. It was a closing that could have been used for a jury trial. It put everything in context and clearly explained how Dellen Millard had the means, motive and opportunity to kill his father.

In Court | AnnBrocklehurst.com

I'm positive that the EMT testified that although he didn't check for pulse he did touch the body in a way that determined WM was dead. It concerns me that this judge seems quite harsh on the prosecution and may be ignoring some testimony.
AC's Liveblog (remember that we are not receiving word for word, so it does seem that Smith not only touched WM's body, but also checked for a pulse?):

May 31 2018 2:29 PM
That's it for Pillay. Cameron now asking an additional question.

May 31 2018 2:30 PM
Smith says Millard "obviously did not have a pulse." Now he's finished.

Just as an FYI, if someone is reported deceased to an ambulance dispatcher, an offer to initiate chest compressions will be made, however once the party calling refuses, for whatever reason, that civil servant's obligations have been met and they are not to force anyone to do anything. If someone is described as obviously deceased then it's less likely the dispatcher will push the issue than, say, a pediatric boy who had just previously been choking or a witnessed arrest.

In ordinary circumstances I'd not view starting or refusing lifesaving measures on the phone as an obvious implication of guilt.

But, this isn't ordinary, and he didn't call right away.

If MB was the caller and was hysterical, then those efforts would have been challenging to begin, too.
This first-hand experience was reported by someone in the Hamilton area when he called 911 about a person he found obviously deceased (bbm):

While I was on the phone with 911 the woman insisted that I go back and feel for a pulse. Even though I begged her not to make me and told her I was certain Audrey was dead, she didn't relent and I walked back. I bent over her to feel for a pulse (this was my only contact with her) and immediately left the scene again.
CANADA - Canada - Audrey Gleave, 73, Ancaster ON, 30 Dec 2010 #2

I'm finding this new platform for WS a little tricky because I find it 'hiding' posts, and at some point it'll all open up and I'll see that I've been typing away and have inadvertently missed a pile of posts in between.. so I hope that is not happening here.. I just wanted to post that ABro wrote a little bit on her website about the seeming general interpretation that people were coming away with after reading coverage from the closing arguments. She was there and feels the Crown did a great job, so this is fantastic to hear. Article here:

I’ve just read some of the social media commentary on the closing arguments at the trial of Dellen Millard for the murder of his father Wayne, and I can wholeheartedly say it does not, in my opinion, reflect what happened in court today.
Lead Crown Attorney Jill Cameron did a fabulous job. It was a closing that could have been used for a jury trial. It put everything in context and clearly explained how Dellen Millard had the means, motive and opportunity to kill his father.

In Court | AnnBrocklehurst.com

Thanks. ABro concludes by saying "I can easily see the verdict going either way." :confused:

I really hope the verdict goes the "right" way but I'm not optimistic. As soon as we learned the judge's name in this case, I did some searching and wasn't impressed with her rulings in previous cases.

The whole suicide thing just does a number on my head, my heart truly goes out to anyone who has lost a loved one to suicide. I can only imagine the anguish and guilt, anger and sadness, the full rainbow of emotions that they would go through, and likely forever. I *can't* imagine topping it off by having police treat those same people as potential suspects.... to only add to their grief and woes.

But on the other hand, how many murders are slipping by as suicides, and yes, better to know for sure. Is it possible that suicide victims might think twice before taking the plunge so to speak, or to at least be sure to leave a note, or somehow better protect their loved ones, if they knew from media that loved ones would be potentially suspected of their murders once they're dead? Police wouldn't necessarily have to treat loved ones badly, just to do their due diligence as a matter of course, in all suicide deaths.

Apparently this case did start out as 'suspicious' though, and it didn't make much difference. It sure casts a different light for me, when reading in the news of all these people reportedly killing themselves lately.. now I am thinking.. are we sure about that?
If you arguing to look at any suicide closely, this one would be it. More than half of people that commit suicides leave notes, so easily verifiable. Then you have those that jump of a bridge or in front of a train, again pretty obvious suicides. There are people that drive to the lake and never come back, also pretty verifiable. But in this case we have a guy lying in a position that would make it very uncomfortable to pull the trigger. We have an illegal gun being used by a guy that gave away all his guns. And we have a son that after finding his dads body, didn't call 911, yet was able to call family and friends. What more did police need? Quite frankly, an investigation means more work, and when given the choice, "Do we investigate (work)" or "Call it a suicide (No work)" most will choose the later.

Similarly withLaura Babcock, "Do we investigate this? (Work)" or "Has she disappeared of her own free will? (No work)". It is no secret that TPS is overworked, and overworked people will always avoid adding more work to the pile, especially if there is no clear evidence that an actual crime has been committed. Clearly this mindset needs to change.

I call Baloney on this one by RP. If the phone was activated Nov 1, 2012--wasn't DM arrested May 2013? Therefore, the phones couldn't be communicating with each other "through the years". We're talking a mere six months here.
Keep in mind we are talking about WM's death, which happened at the end of November less than a month after the phone was activated. RP should have said "through the weeks" :confused:

What about when, like in this instance, she is saying something wrong?

We don’t have the full flow of the closing statement but it’s possible her “didn’t touch” comment referred to the broader context, ie no action taken involving CPR or other lifesaving remedial efforts by anyone. Reality is someone who’s been dead for 12 or so hours does not look as if they still might be alive, although we didn’t actually see the unblurred photos of the deceased WM lying on the bed (thankfully).

Keep in mind we are talking about WM's death, which happened at the end of November less than a month after the phone was activated. RP should have said "through the weeks" :confused:
If I recall, Pillay was talking about the fact that DM had six phones in his name, and his comment was about those multiple phones generally and not about the specific one activated November 1.

The cellphone records were submitted as Statement of Agreed Facts. Considering Cameron had the final rebuttal and the tweets didn’t indicate she corrected Pillay, is it possible the Samsung cellphone was new but the actual cellphone number was transferred from a prior phone?

If I recall, Pillay was talking about the fact that DM had six phones in his name, and his comment was about those multiple phones generally and not about the specific one activated November 1.
Not according to the tweet.
Pillay now noting that there were several times where Millard's two phones used in this case communicated with each other through the years.
by Adam Carter 2:28 PM

This first-hand experience was reported by someone in the Hamilton area when he called 911 about a person he found obviously deceased (bbm):

While I was on the phone with 911 the woman insisted that I go back and feel for a pulse. Even though I begged her not to make me and told her I was certain Audrey was dead, she didn't relent and I walked back. I bent over her to feel for a pulse (this was my only contact with her) and immediately left the scene again.
CANADA - Canada - Audrey Gleave, 73, Ancaster ON, 30 Dec 2010 #2

Wasn’t it MB who called 911? As she wasn’t called as a Crown witness, the prosecution must’ve not considered it material to the outcome of the trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr