Gun Control Debate #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a helpful page for learning what each state regulates in regards to gun possession, with lots of charts. perhaps we can encorporate some of these to cover all states?

it also explains the difference in assault and high-capacity magazines.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/national/assault-weapons-laws/?utm_term=.68b1392a8ef7
How strictly are guns regulated where you live? (Updated 2/20/2018)

Of the seven types of regulations we looked at, no single restriction has been enacted in all 50 states

charts include:
— states with 0-7 types of laws
—what types of legislation exists in states?
>>red flag laws
>>relinquishment laws
>>assault weapon bans
>>high-capacity magazine bans
>>prohibitions for high-risk individusls
>>prohibitions for domestic violence convictions
>>mandatory universal background checks
— where each state stands on gun control legislation

Where I’m from, guns are banned; this belong in the hands of LE and military only, regular people, we have never seen one, let alone heard how a shot sounds.

The first school shooting in our community happened a few months ago. My cousin was in that classroom.

A student with a long history of mental issues and who was going trough a severe depression gathered his arsenal and took it to school. The rest has been recounted too many times.
Unfortunately, someone uploaded the video from the security cameras to the MSM, and I watched in social media the moment my cousin, along his classmates and teacher, were gunned down.

I am truly sorry that this is a recurring matter for you, but with all due respect, I don’t think that banning guns is going to make much of a difference.
This is a social problem, the guns are just one part of it. The person who already made the decision to perpetuate such violence, will find a way.
If not guns, there’s always bombs, knives...who knows what’s happening inside those minds.

Please forgive me for including myself in the matter, but I do believe this is an issue beyond geographic location, age, ethnicity, socioeconomic background, etc. You are not alone. The rest of the world are watching, listening and we are with you.

Good point, thank you! 45 looked like he was touched by the father’s story, and he’s a manly man who doesn’t often show that, in my opinion.

During the town hall meeting last night, NRA spokeswoman, Dana Loesch was eye-opening, IMO. Her tone and words showed me the gun lobby has a very high level of control over firearm legislation, as if it’s up to the NRA whether or not anything is introduced or passed, not congress or state legislatures. She came across as hostile and arrogant, imho, and ill-prepared for the reality being shared by so many victims in the community, including the Broward County Sheriff.

Indeed, Marco Rubio was extremely hesitant to even say the words National Rifle Association or distance himself from NRA contributions. MOO

To their credit, they all favored gun control measures in some form. All of them.

So which ones will it be? I think that’s where the momentum’s headed.

Video and transcript at link:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/22/politics/cnn-town-hall-full-video-transcript/index.html

I had an eye roll moment when she (Dana) said she didn't have the resources or power.
Then I felt angry that we have to even listen to the input of the NRA.
She came across as condescending. IMO

Where I’m from, guns are banned; this belong in the hands of LE and military only, regular people, we have never seen one, let alone heard how a shot sounds.

The first school shooting in our community happened a few months ago. My cousin was in that classroom.

A student with a long history of mental issues and who was going trough a severe depression gathered his arsenal and took it to school. The rest has been recounted too many times.
Unfortunately, someone uploaded the video from the security cameras to the MSM, and I watched in social media the moment my cousin, along his classmates and teacher, were gunned down.

I am truly sorry that this is a recurring matter for you, but with all due respect, I don’t think that banning guns is going to make much of a difference.
This is a social problem, the guns are just one part of it. The person who already made the decision to perpetuate such violence, will find a way.
If not guns, there’s always bombs, knives...who knows what’s happening inside those minds.

Please forgive me for including myself in the matter, but I do believe this is an issue beyond geographic location, age, ethnicity, socioeconomic background, etc. You are not alone. The rest of the world are watching, listening and we are with you.

Thank you so much for your compassion for us.

Anyone come up with a good reason for a soccer mom in her SUV having a military weapon yet?

I can't understand why responsible gun owners would not welcome proper gun control to maintain the safety of the rest of your citizens. No-one wants to take your precious guns away from you, it's about controlling the accessibility to weapons by people who really have no business holding a weapon.

Texas school district plans to suspend any student protestors:

"Needville Independent School District (ISD) Superintendent Curtis Rhodes said in a letter that was sent to families and posted on social media that students would be suspended for three days if they took part in the protests happening following the deadly Florida high school shooting, The Houston Chronicle reported."

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...ict-threatens-to-suspend-students-who-protest

jmo
Meanwhile in Austin...

DDs middle school got to participate in the protest. She was pretty fired up about it. Not the subject we send our children to learn but it's awesome that they got to form an opinion and voice it and participate in the walk out (and not get marked as absent).

https://patch.com/texas/downtownaustin/austin-area-students-stage-walkout-call-stricter-gun-laws

Meanwhile in Austin...

DDs middle school got to participate in the protest. She was pretty fired up about it. Not the subject we send our children to learn but it's awesome that they got to form an opinion and voice it and participate in the walk out (and not get marked as absent).

https://patch.com/texas/downtownaustin/austin-area-students-stage-walkout-call-stricter-gun-laws

That really is awesome, freedom of speech and expression rocks and being allowed to express an opinion, at whatever age, is a lifelong learning tool

And here we go again.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/22/politics/wayne-lapierre-cpac-speech-nra/index.html

Whats worse than the usual from LaPierre is Trump handing over power to the NRA.

Just minutes before LaPierre was scheduled to speak, however, Trump defended the NRA.
"What many people don't understand, or don't want to understand, is that Wayne, Chris and the folks who work so hard at the @NRA are Great People and Great American Patriots. They love our Country and will do the right thing. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!" Trump tweeted.

Anyone come up with a good reason for a soccer mom in her SUV having a military weapon yet?

I can't understand why responsible gun owners would not welcome proper gun control to maintain the safety of the rest of your citizens. No-one wants to take your precious guns away from you, it's about controlling the accessibility to weapons by people who really have no business holding a weapon.

BBM Maybe you missed it but several responsible gun owners on this thread have expressed their openness to possible changes to gun control laws. IMO it's not just here but in the media too. Local and national.

BBM Maybe you missed it but several responsible gun owners on this thread have expressed their openness to possible changes to gun control laws. IMO it's not just here but in the media too. Local and national.

I wasn't generalizing all responsible gun owners, but SOME gun owners seem more concerned about their 2nd amendment rights than the effects that these weapons have on society. And thank you to the responsible gun owners who have expressed that they would welcome stricter gun control.

It helps if you live in another country, as I do, and can read things in newspapers here and meet people from all over the world. They do not live with guns and carnage so they find it incredible.

Hear hear!

I can't get over Trump tweeting that the NRA will do the right thing.
I guess Trump answered who is in control on this issue. For shame. IMO

I find it confusing and astounding that some people believe that these kids would not be totally upset by watching their friends and teachers die in a hail of bullets.

People with training in the military come back , have PTSD and many commit suicide.

It is beyond the pale to hear how some people are reacting to these kids.

People honestly believe that kids do not see the insanity of it all and do not want to die while going to school?

Got to say the rest of the world DO think that Trump is a laughing stock!

Well, you know what? Who really cares what the rest of the world thinks about our president? And, I’m not sure that’s the case anyway. I’m not sure we’re supposed to talk politics in this thread. But in my opinion, and many others, he’s the best president by far, that we’ve had in decades. You know, I think the leader of your country is horrible but I don’t go around disrespecting him on social media sites.

I am curious as to where this happened if guns are banned. How did such a young person get the weapons. What are the loooholes that this could happen?

Closing the thread. I need to clean it up. Take a breather. Hug your loved ones. Take a deep breath.

Back in a bit.

Please continue the Gun Control Debate RIGHT HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members