Gun Control Debate #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...inaction-students-fed-up-they-plan/348752002/

Students across the country say they are planning to walk out of schools in protest in the aftermath of the shooting this week in South Florida.

A walkout in South Florida on Friday and rally in Fort Lauderdale on Saturday helped anchor support, and other protests are planned in coming weeks, including one that would mark the 19th year since the Columbine High School massacre

The event calls for students and teachers to walk out of their schools at 10 a.m. local time for 17 minutes, to honor the 17 lives lost in Florida.
Another walkout is planned on April 20, which will mark the 19th year since the Columbine High School massacre in Colorado that left 13 dead.
More than 22,000 people have signed a petition, pledging to walkout of their classrooms that day at 10 a.m. for the rest of the day.
"Nothing has changed since Columbine, let us start a movement that lets the government know the time for change is now," organizers wrote in the change.org event.

Organizers of the events say they hope the protests will gain attention and show lawmakers these issues aren't going away and students, even if they aren't old enough yet to vote, want change.

I'm not sure what your point is. Can you clarify?

I'm not sure that it matters that it wasn't a "machine gun"
Do homeowners or hunters really require a weapon that could cause so much damage/death within six minutes of shooting.
Why are we making it so easy for people to kill in mass quantities?

Why do you feel that the age for a firearm purchase be 21 instead of 18 years old?

I think in some individuals there can be a major difference in maturity between 18 and 21. This measure could possibly prevent people younger than 21 being able to bring a gun to school or higher education.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...inaction-students-fed-up-they-plan/348752002/

Students across the country say they are planning to walk out of schools in protest in the aftermath of the shooting this week in South Florida.

A walkout in South Florida on Friday and rally in Fort Lauderdale on Saturday helped anchor support, and other protests are planned in coming weeks, including one that would mark the 19th year since the Columbine High School massacre

The event calls for students and teachers to walk out of their schools at 10 a.m. local time for 17 minutes, to honor the 17 lives lost in Florida.
Another walkout is planned on April 20, which will mark the 19th year since the Columbine High School massacre in Colorado that left 13 dead.
More than 22,000 people have signed a petition, pledging to walkout of their classrooms that day at 10 a.m. for the rest of the day.
"Nothing has changed since Columbine, let us start a movement that lets the government know the time for change is now," organizers wrote in the change.org event.

Organizers of the events say they hope the protests will gain attention and show lawmakers these issues aren't going away and students, even if they aren't old enough yet to vote, want change.

Do you have any idea what kind of gun control changes they want? I don't.

Do homeowners or hunters really require a weapon that could cause so much damage/death within six minutes of shooting.

The 2nd amendment is not for hunters.
If 2 people break into my home, yes I would want the maximum amount for stopping the threat. Max amount of ammo, max power.
2nd amendment is for citizens to defend themselves against an oppressive government.

[FONT=&quot]I didn’t realize we had such different laws in different states. :

[/FONT]https://www.dailynews.com/2018/02/1...s-have-helped-stop-florida-school-shooting-3/[FONT=&quot]
California law bans the sale or possession of assault rifles like the AR-15 that 19-year-old [/FONT]Nikolas Cruz[FONT=&quot] bought legally in Florida and allegedly used Wednesday to kill 17 students and staff at his former Broward County, Florida, high school. And another recently enacted gun law in the Golden State allows police or family to get a court order to disarm people considered dangerous.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gun control advocates like Amanda Wilcox, legislative advocate for the California Chapters of the Brady Campaign, said California-style laws might have limited the deadliness of the alleged Florida shooter’s gun and perhaps disarmed him before he set off on his rampage.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“One is preventing shooting in the first place,” Wilcox said. “The other is decreasing the” deadliness.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gun rights advocates raised skepticism, however, arguing the focus should be on stopping criminals and the mentally disturbed rather than restricting access to weapons.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Florida has no state restrictions on assault weapons or ammunition magazine capacity.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]By contrast, California has some of the nation’s most restrictive gun laws. Among other things, it is illegal to buy or possess military-style assault rifles. Those are generally defined as semiautomatic firearms with pistol grips and detachable, multi-round ammunition clips that allow the shooter to quickly and accurately fire multiple shots before having to reload.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]California law bans firearms with detachable high-capacity ammunition magazines — including those with a so-called “bullet button” that allows a gun user to quickly reload — and limits magazine capacity to no more than 10 rounds. It’s unclear how many rounds Cruz’ alleged gun could fire before reloading, but police said he carried extra loaded magazines.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Golden State’s laws also aim to keep guns out of the hands of disturbed people. The state two years ago enacted one of the nation’s only “gun violence restraining order” laws. Gun-control advocates said such laws, also in place in Washington, Oregon and Connecticut, might have disarmed Cruz by letting police or family members petition a court to temporarily remove weapons from a troubled person.

Last month, San Diego authorities used a gun violence restraining order to disarm a man who had been shooting at raccoons and rats in his neighborhood while drunk. He was forced to surrender his guns for a year.

Wilcox said the law provides a means to disarm people with no violent or mental health history.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But the California law has limits, and state lawmakers want to expand it. Assemblyman Phil Ting, D-San Francisco, is reintroducing legislation that would allow school officials, employers, coworkers and mental health officials to file for such restraining orders as well as police and family. Gov. Jerry Brown had vetoed such a measure two years ago, arguing the restraining orders were too new at the time to warrant expansion.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“We really felt as we started seeing more incidents in the workplace as well as schools that it was so important to expand the number of people who could access that restraining order,” Ting said.

[/FONT]

I think in some individuals there can be a major difference in maturity between 18 and 21. This measure could possibly prevent people younger than 21 being able to bring a gun to school or higher education.

So do you agree with me that these high school students lack the maturity to understand the nuances of the gun control issue?

I just signed the Change.org petition and posted on my FB wall for my former (online) classmates at the University of Maryland to sign it too. Reading all the comments on Change.org one really moved me, written by a gentleman called Randy Anderson :heartbeat: I just wish more people were like this man, willing to change their minds and hearts on such a vital issue.

I think that a large truck can kill a lot of people easily but I don't call it a machine gun.

I think that people use the wrong name to inflame. I don't fall for games like that.

In what way is it not true?

It's easier to get a driver license (convicted felons can have drivers license, 16 year olds can have drivers license)
Voter registration? Remember in some states you don't even have to show ID to vote! Not too familiar with food service industry but I am sure little Sally with her lemonade stand did not have to go through background checks. And on on

I think that a large truck can kill a lot of people easily but I don't call it a machine gun.

I think that people use the wrong name to inflame. I don't fall for games like that.

Which has little to do with my post. Do we really need a weapon that can kill in minutes a mass quantity of people.

Or are not aware of the difference.

Sorry but this sounds as ridiculous as the first time I heard it. People arming against imagined enemies.
Not being rude as this is how I really feel.

This is where the anti-gun people should go. We don't need the Second Amendment. Repeal it. It would make a gun confiscation program possible.

Lets get serious and see if it's possible to repeal it. Honestly it's the major blocking point in doing a "buy back" confiscation program that Australia has done(twice).

This is where the anti-gun people should go. We don't need the Second Amendment. Repeal it. It would make a gun confiscation program possible.

Lets get serious and see if it's possible to repeal it. Honestly it's the major blocking point in doing a "buy back" confiscation program that Australia has done(twice).

Nope that isn't at all what I posted.

Which has little to do with my post. Do we really need a weapon that can kill in minutes a mass quantity of people.

It has every thing to do with your post. Are you saying that driving a large truck into a crowd of people would not kill a great number of them quickly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slatchautoclinic