Gun Control Debate #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was kidding about feeling attacked.... a little bit anyway.lol Sometimes my sense of humor can get me in trouble as well.
If I allowed my feelers to get hurt easily I would have to leave the internets.

You sound like someone I would get along with very well. [emoji106]

I know there is something similar in my area in which my coworkers participate. Idk how much it costs to have a butcher do... whatever has to be done if one doesn't do it themselves?

When my husband's company went out of business we got on the Highway Patrol's deer list until he found another job. It would cost $80 or more to have it processed. We always did it ourselves. Some of the meat was usually damaged from the collision and it wasn't logical to spend that much for a partial deer. They have a long list and if you don't go when they call, you go to the bottom of the list. The calls are usually late at night and you should've seen the faces on the passers by. The deer normally can't be seen from the road and all they can see is people out there with knifes in the dark.

BTW I started hunting deer after my kids were in a deer vehicle collision. The truck flipped and was totaled but they survived with some bumps and bruises. One of their classmates is paralyzed from her neck down from another deer vehicle collision. There's 150 - 200 human deaths caused by deer vehicle collisions annually in the US. Hunters barely make a dent it but think how much worse it would be if we couldn't hunt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer–vehicle_collisions

A deer-vehicle collision occurs when one or more deer and a human-operated vehicle collide on a roadway. It can result in deer fatality, property damage, and human injury or death. The number of accidents, injuries, and fatalities varies from year to year and region. In the United States an estimated 1.23 million deer related accidents occurred in a one-year period ending June 2012 (a 7.7 percent increase from the previous year), resulting in $3,305 in average property damage. The largest proportion of such accidents occur in November.[1]

In 2000, of the 6.1 million lightweight motor vehicle collisions re US, 1 million involved animal-vehicle collisions. Deer–vehicle collisions lead to about 200 human deaths and $1.1 billion in property damage every year.[2] State and federal governments, insurance companies, and drivers spend an additional $3 billion in an effort to reduce and manage the increasing number of deer-vehicle collisions.[3] The term "deer-vehicle collision" is commonly annotated throughout safety agencies as DVC.

When my husband's company went out of business we got on the Highway Patrol's deer list until he found another job. It would cost $80 or more to have it processed. We always did it ourselves. Some of the meat was usually damaged from the collision and it wasn't logical to spend that much for a partial deer. They have a long list and if you don't go when they call, you go to the bottom of the list. The calls are usually late at night and you should've seen the faces on the passers by. The deer normally can't be seen from the road and all they can see is people out there with knifes in the dark.

BTW I started hunting deer after my kids were in a deer vehicle collision. The truck flipped and was totaled but they survived with some bumps and bruises. One of their classmates is paralyzed from her neck down from another deer vehicle collision. There's 150 - 200 human deaths caused by deer vehicle collisions annually in the US. Hunters barely make a dent it but think how much worse it would be if we couldn't hunt.

A deer-vehicle collision occurs when one or more deer and a human-operated vehicle collide on a roadway. It can result in deer fatality, property damage, and human injury or death. The number of accidents, injuries, and fatalities varies from year to year and region. In the United States an estimated 1.23 million deer related accidents occurred in a one-year period ending June 2012 (a 7.7 percent increase from the previous year), resulting in $3,305 in average property damage. The largest proportion of such accidents occur in November.[1]

In 2000, of the 6.1 million lightweight motor vehicle collisions re US, 1 million involved animal-vehicle collisions. Deer–vehicle collisions lead to about 200 human deaths and $1.1 billion in property damage every year.[2] State and federal governments, insurance companies, and drivers spend an additional $3 billion in an effort to reduce and manage the increasing number of deer-vehicle collisions.[3] The term "deer-vehicle collision" is commonly annotated throughout safety agencies as DVC.

Make sure you wear an orange reflective vest when you're out on the road with your knives!

And try to avoid startling any overreactive gun carrying drivers!

ETA I looked it up and yeah it can be like $60-120 or so to process one's hunting kill. I'm pretty sure my dad did it himself, but I only ever remember the hung upside down deer in the garage when I did NOT know it was going to be there and it scared the goodness out of me!

20 year old files lawsuit against Dicks Sporting Goods, and Walmart for not selling him a firearm:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...ues-dicks-sporting-goods-refusing-sell-rifle/
Boo hoo. Good luck winning those! Although if he gets the NRA to support him, or rather if he hasn't already, maybe he'll win and open up a Pandora's box of refused service lawsuits.

They just raised the smoking age in some places. Any lawsuits going on there? If so, how're they going, anyone know?

Tillicum, this is fascinating. Thank you for sharing. I know we’re veering a little off topic, but I’m learning so much in this thread!!

I hadn't noticed this part previously

Walmart...also said it would no longer sell items resembling assault-style rifles, including toys and air guns.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/02/...hey-sell.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

Idk how to make it not the mobile link

Eta also

The company said that it had not decided what to do with ts inventory of assault-style rifles but that they would not be sold in the marketplace.

Legal experts said they saw no likely challenges to Dick’s decision to stop selling assault-style rifles. But the decision to stop selling weapons to anyone under 21, however, could be tested in court.

[FONT=&amp] https://twitter.com/CNN/status/970808172305936384

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]JUST IN: The Florida state Senate has passed a bill that would raise the age to buy a firearm from 18 to 21 and require a three-day waiting period for gun purchases, with some exceptions. The Florida House is set to take up the bill next.[/FONT]

In my family the hunting was for food, but the actual killing part came second to the adventure part. I went on many hunting trips and it was no different from a camping trip. When I think of hunting as a sport I think of trophy hunting, not hunting for food.

And trophy hunting is certainly not a sport. That is mostly just shooting penned up animals at point blank range. Hunting is not a sport. It doesn't take any particular skill to kill something.

And trophy hunting is certainly not a sport. That is mostly just shooting penned up animals at point blank range. Hunting is not a sport. It doesn't take any particular skill to kill something.
There is more to hunting than the actual killing. It encompasses a lot of different outdoor type of skills.
ETA I don't mean trophy hunting.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article203601899.html

[h=3]Senate removes ‘vast majority’ of teachers from plan to arm school personnel[/h]
ALLAHASSEE [FONT=&quot]After a lengthy and emotional debate, the Florida Senate narrowly approved a bill to put millions of dollars of state money into school safety programs in response to the Parkland shooting, attempting to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill while arming school officials with a first-in-the-nation optional program for school districts.

[/FONT]

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article203601899.html

[h=3]Senate removes ‘vast majority’ of teachers from plan to arm school personnel[/h]
ALLAHASSEE [FONT=&quot]After a lengthy and emotional debate, the Florida Senate narrowly approved a bill to put millions of dollars of state money into school safety programs in response to the Parkland shooting, attempting to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill while arming school officials with a first-in-the-nation optional program for school districts.

[/FONT]
From your link

Under the amendment, proposed by Sen. Rene Garcia, R-Miami, classroom teachers would not be armed if a school district decides to participate in the so-called “school marshal” program established in response to the tragedy at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. However, other school personnel, including support staff who provide some instructional work, current or former servicemen or JROTC instructors, would be able to carry firearms.

"Support staff who provide some instructional work" sounds like the paraprofessional aides?

Respectfully, by definition, hunting for food isn’t the same as sport hunting. Sport is considered recreational, food is necessity.

Growing up, my dad’s family hunted deer every season. They hunted quail and fished, too. They also raised cattle for show and personal slaughter.

The meat fed their family of four, my two grandparents, their three adults children when they’d visit and a motley bunch of grandkids, extended family (my grandma has nine siblings who all lived in the same town) and was served at reunions, weddings, gatherings, large church functions in the community, etc.

It fed dozens upon dozens of family members and the community for months. Nothing was wasted. The whole town was related, just about, formed by German immigrants.

Heck, grandma even had a small still in a closet, and she made her own “wine.”

They weren’t rich by any stretch. None of them were. They are truly cowboys, crop dusters, small farmers — people who live on and with the land.

A half-acre garden at my grandparent’s home provided corn, carrots, tomatoes, squash, cucumbers/pickles, green beans, etc. Extras were canned and jarred.

It resembled any other self-sufficient, multigenerational community. They took care of themselves and each other. They still do.

Just wanted to clear that up, because there are still a lot of folks like that in this country.

They couldn’t afford to eat otherwise.

For the record I don't have any problem with people killing for food. I eat meat myself. But as you say, killing for food is not the same as killing for sport. And killing for sport is not really a sport. It always boggles my mind to see assault rifles in a sporting goods store. Putting killing tools inside a store filled with equipment designed to help people get healthy and physically fit escapes my logic. Guns would be more appropriate in a hardware store, and I don't even see them there.

I cannot stand the thought of killing an animal although I will eat meat if invited to someone’s home.

Animals killed in the woods are not necessarily better at all. There is chronic wasting disease found in deer and elk. Moose are dying from something weird in MN.

Deer graze on brush often by power lines, The brush has often been sprayed with herbicides. And of course they are forced to drink from water that who knows what is flowing in it.

Rabbits get tularemia. Bears eat garbage which of course is filled with the same chemicals that humans eat

As a meat eater, I don't understand the appeal of eating wild animals either. I ate a fair amount of venison when I was young and I don't remember it tasting partially good. If it is a good meat to eat, then I have to wonder why ranchers aren't raising it, and selling it in supermarkets.

That said I would prefer that all of our food be raised heather, without chemicals.

As a meat eater, I don't understand the appeal of eating wild animals either. I ate a fair amount of venison when I was young and I don't remember it tasting partially good. If it is a good meat to eat, then I have to wonder why ranchers aren't raising it, and selling it in supermarkets.
I think they need more space than traditional livestock animals? Like, unavoidably enough to deter deer ranches being a good money maker?

Eta ugh I think I've edited every one of my posts today!
I don't like the taste of venison. My older siblings tell me Mom used to sneak that and elk until dinners but I think she gave up by the time I arrived. I do, however, remember some delicious homemade jerky that my mom suspiciously wouldn't identify as "beef."

Some people eat plain venison, but most people I know mix it with pork. An old buck with tastes horrible, But some people want the trophy rack.

I think they need more space than traditional livestock animals? Like, unavoidably enough to deter deer ranches being a good money maker?

They taste gamey although some people like the taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member