Gun Control Debate #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe we need another Love revolution like back in the 60's, :)

Exceptions in Western democracies

Australia is the only common law country with neither a constitutional nor federal legislative bill of rights to protect its citizens, although there is ongoing debate in many of Australia's states.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_of_rights

The fact that there are no bill of rights to protect citizens and a right to bear arms, makes it easier to ban guns. If the good people of Australia volunteered to hand over their guns I wonder if the criminals were so willing. IMO

You got a link for that? i would be interested to read about that. TIA.

We are a member of the British Commonwealth. We used to be able to take court matters to the Privy Council, but apparently we do not do that any more. I am not sure when that came about. When I was a young woman it was a thing.

Australia is the only common law country with neither a constitutional nor federal legislative bill of rights to protect its citizens, although there is ongoing debate in many of Australia's states.

The fact that there are no bill of rights to protect citizens and a right to bear arms, makes it easier to ban guns. If the good people of Australia volunteered to hand over their guns I wonder if the criminals were so willing. IMO

We do have criminals with guns, but they only shoot and kill each other. We do not have random shootings of innocent victims, except the men who legally own firearms who shoot their wives and sometimes their children too. Mostly, rural people who have a licensed gun for good reasons.

Australia has a constitution.

BBM, So without all of those protections,like your fabulous bill or rights to protect people, why aren't our children being slaughtered in their classrooms?

BBM, So without all of those protections,like your fabulous bill or rights to protect people, why aren't our children being slaughtered in their classrooms?

Less access to firearms, but violence is on the increase in Australian schools nevertheless.
(quote)
Violence in Australian schools continues to rise

We have all seen the headlines. Violence in Australian schools is on the rise. Whether it’s kids fighting with other kids, or students assaulting teachers and staff, the problem is growing – and it’s growing rapidly.

Here are some shocking statistics:

27% of students aged four to nine are bullied at least every few weeks
In 87% of these cases, onlookers are present yet do nothing
Bullying is most prevalent around ages five to eight
Queensland schools have experienced a constant increase in violence of over 100% since 2008
Over 1000 violent acts against students and teachers are committed each year in our school system
https://www.iffoundation.org.au/violence-in-australian-schools-continues-to-rise/

That is why firearms in Australia have to be registered with Police. So they know exactly where you live and how many weapons and what type of weapons you own. They can come and check on your property anytime to see your guns are locked up as required.
You also used to have to do so many hours a month at a shooting range to maintain your weapons license.

Not true. Australians do not have to do hours at any time at a shooting range to obtain or keep a licence.

Less access to firearms, but violence is on the increase in Australian schools nevertheless.
(quote)
Violence in Australian schools continues to rise

We have all seen the headlines. Violence in Australian schools is on the rise. Whether it’s kids fighting with other kids, or students assaulting teachers and staff, the problem is growing – and it’s growing rapidly.

Here are some shocking statistics:

27% of students aged four to nine are bullied at least every few weeks
In 87% of these cases, onlookers are present yet do nothing
Bullying is most prevalent around ages five to eight
Queensland schools have experienced a constant increase in violence of over 100% since 2008
Over 1000 violent acts against students and teachers are committed each year in our school system
https://www.iffoundation.org.au/violence-in-australian-schools-continues-to-rise/

It may be true, but no shootings.

Not true. Australians do not have to do hours at any time at a shooting range to obtain or keep a licence.

Well a good friend of ours did back in 1999 in NSW, Aus. He had around 6 weapons and a pistol license is a whole other thing. You are not allowed to take a pistol home to your premises and have to keep it at the pistol shooting range. Don't think that has changed either. Maybe you could link to information that states otherwise? I don't think the law on that has changed, but if you can prove it then i will take that as fact.

Well a good friend of ours did back in 1999 in NSW, Aus. He had around 6 weapons and a pistol license is a whole other thing. You are not allowed to take a pistol home to your premises and have to keep it at the pistol shooting range. Don't think that has changed either. Maybe you could link to information that states otherwise? I don't think the law on that has changed, but if you can prove it then i will take that as fact.

That was because he got his gun licence because he belonged to a sports shooters club. Of course he has to prove that he is still a member of that club and is using his gun because he needs it for his sport.

So sorry that happened to your cousin, and in that instance it saved her life. So thank goodness she was able to protect her life. I definitely think the world is a much different place now to what it used to be and with all the drugs and violence etc. nowadays it is overwhelming in some places for sure.

I came up in the drug culture. It just hit here later. I've said it on different threads, there's an old Johnny Paycheck song called, I'm The Only Hell My Momma Ever Raised. This gun stuff didn't use to be like this, that I remember. Some folks had them and some didn't. Nobody thought much of it at all.

I think the ban in 1994 was a political turning point. That's when a deep divide came about. Abortion on one side and Firearms on the other and the politicians use those to pit us against one another. Well, States Rights are a thing. I'm encouraged by Florida's action. Maybe other states will step up and we won't have to wait on the Feds. Done within our states it should be easier to find common ground and make change. See how fast Fla moved? I'm not a single issue voter and I do vote. I have voted in party, out of party, third party, and even write-in. I'm sick of being jerked around.

That was because he got his gun licence because he belonged to a sports shooters club. Of course he has to prove that he is still a member of that club and is using his gun because he needs it for his sport.

Yes and because when trying to obtain a weapons license in Australia you have to have valid reason to do so.
(quote)
Rifle Licence (Category A & B)
Step 1

You will need a genuine reason to obtain a Category A & B Firearms Licence. If you become a Member of S.S.A.A. you can then list your genuine reason as Sports & Target Shooting and Recreation & Hunting, as we are an approved body prescribed under the law. Anyone who is already a member can help you or contact your local S.S.A.A. Branch.
http://ssaaqld.org.au/become-a-shooter/getting-a-license

Yes and because when trying to obtain a weapons license in Australia you have to have valid reason to do so.
(quote)
Rifle Licence (Category A & B)
Step 1

You will need a genuine reason to obtain a Category A & B Firearms Licence. If you become a Member of S.S.A.A. you can then list your genuine reason as Sports & Target Shooting and Recreation & Hunting, as we are an approved body prescribed under the law. Anyone who is already a member can help you or contact your local S.S.A.A. Branch.
http://ssaaqld.org.au/become-a-shooter/getting-a-license

I know that, so why were you stating that every legal gun owner in Aus had to do a test at a shooting range? I know several people who own guns who do not have to go to shooting ranges to keep their licence. Hunters who go to NT to shoot wild boar do not have to pass shooting range tests. Farmers who shoot dingoes and foxes and put down injured cattle do not have to pass those tests either

I know that, so why were you stating that every legal gun owner in Aus had to do a test at a shooting range? I know several people who own guns who do not have to go to shooting ranges to keep their licence. Hunters who go to NT to shoot wild boar do not have to pass shooting range tests. Farmers who shoot dingoes and foxes and put down injured cattle do not have to pass those tests either

BBM, Could you please support that info. with a link if the law states otherwise.
These are licensing requirement laws in the NT.
(quote)
General licencing requirements

In all cases when applying for a firearms licence, certain basic requirements must be met to qualify for a licence under the Northern Territory Firearms Act. In the case of a person you must:

be of at least 18 years of age (or 12 years of age for a Junior Club Licence)
provide proof that you are a resident of the Northern Territory
provide proof of identity in accordance with requirements under the Financial Transactions Report Act (1988), which is the same standard which banks apply when you open a new account
not be subject to, or not have been subject to a Domestic Violence Order within the last five years
have undertaken an approved Firearm Safety Training Course
be able to meet the safe storage requirements under the Firearms Act & Regulations (see safe storage requirements for further information)
have a genuine reason/need for holding a licence (see genuine reason for further information)

in addition you will be required to disclose any criminal history, or history of mental illness or incapacity, which could affect your fitness to hold a licence.
http://www.pfes.nt.gov.au/Police/Firearms-Weapons/Firearms-licences-permits-information.aspx

Karinna, Thanks for links to Facts.

BBM, Could you please support that info. with a link if the law states otherwise.
(quote)

In all cases when applying for a firearms licence, certain basic requirements must be met to qualify for a licence under the Northern Territory Firearms Act. In the case of a person you must:

provide proof of identity in accordance with requirements under the Financial Transactions Report Act (1988), which is the same standard which banks apply when you open a new account
not be subject to, or not have been subject to a Domestic Violence Order within the last five years
be able to meet the safe storage requirements under the Firearms Act & Regulations (see safe storage requirements for further information)
have a genuine reason/need for holding a licence (see genuine reason for further information)

in addition you will be required to disclose any criminal history, or history of mental illness or incapacity, which could affect your fitness to hold a licence.
http://www.pfes.nt.gov.au/Police/Firearms-Weapons/Firearms-licences-permits-information.aspx

(quote)

Eh? you are quoting NT law? I am sure that you know what percentage of Australians live in NT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imdoey