Gun Control Debate #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stephen Paddock had worked so efficiently in his life that he was a millionnaire, and afaik took no psychotropic drugs. There was nothing to prevent him buying 40+ guns and assorted ammunitions.

That's the truth. I read his autopsy, myself..

(quote)
Charleston Massacre: Mental Illness Common Thread for Mass Shootings

As the nation mourns the tremendous loss of life in Charleston, South Carolina, from another mass shooting, details of what drove someone to commit this terrible act remain elusive. But if history is any indication, the shooter most likely has a history of severe mental health issues that have either gone untreated or undiagnosed.
Charleston shooter Dylann Storm Roof was reportedly taking a drug that has been linked with sudden outbursts of violence.
http://www.newsweek.com/charleston-massacre-mental-illness-common-thread-mass-shootings-344789

So now he is getting into boycotting because someone dared to criticize him? Goodness, so it really is all about him? I thought freedom of speech was another constitutional right for everybody? Maybe he will try and get that changed next too?

Isn't it his right to call for boycott? And nestle et al.'s right to refuse to work with Laura Ingraham?

Isn't it his right to call for boycott? And nestle et al.'s right to refuse to work with Laura Ingraham?

He succeeded, too.
Boycotts are effective, especially for greed fuelled ultra right wing media sources pretending to be otherwise..
Boycotts are a most effective mechanism against bigots.

Op-Ed: McCall: Toxic masculinity and mass shootings

http://observer.case.edu/mccall-toxic-masculinity-and-mass-shootings/

Something more pernicious than the possession of firearms, when it comes to mass shootings, is the idea that violence is the best way to solve one’s problems. This mentality suggests that expressing one’s myriad emotions in one sudden burst of anger is not only understandable but, in a way, even justifiable.

I’ll be brief: Violence is not a solution to any problem. Violence is a vicious cycle. Violence breeds violence. From a young age, though, men are taught the opposite: that violence is the answer.

bbm

He can do and say whatever he likes and Laura is also entitled to her opinions.
I thought Hogg was a mouthpiece for the victims of the deathly shootings at the school though? Why would he care who criticizes him in such a public platform? You wouldn't expect everyone to agree with you on such a topic, especially in such a political way, i would imagine.

I thought Hogg was a mouthpiece for the victims of the deathly shootings at the school though? Why would he care who criticizes him in such a public platform? You wouldn't expect everyone to agree with you on such a topic, especially in such a political way, i would imagine.
why did you think Hogg should be reduced to a 'solitary mouthpiece' status?
Are you not familiar with the situation?

Hogg didn't get into boycotting, per se.

Ingraham's advertisers boycotted Ingraham because, paraphrasing their words, they believe her speech and her behavior is offensive and choose not to support it with their advertising revenue. Simple as that.

If consumers don't like these companies' decisions, then consumers can boycott Hulu, TripAdvisor, Wayfair, Nutrish, Expedia, Stitch Fix, Johnson & Johnson and Nestle, etc.

That's how this scenario works.

So now he is getting into boycotting because someone dared to criticize him? Goodness, so it really is all about him? I thought freedom of speech was another constitutional right for everybody? Maybe he will try and get that changed next too?

MOO

Hogg didn't get into boycotting, per se.

Ingraham's advertisers boycotted Ingraham because, paraphrasing their words, they believe her speech and her behavior is offensive and choose not to support it with their advertising revenue. Simple as that.

If consumers don't like these companies' decisions, then consumers can boycott Hulu, TripAdvisor, Wayfair, Nutrish, Expedia, Stitch Fix, Johnson & Johnson and Nestle, etc.

That's how this scenario works.

MOO

Yeah, it's their choice.

No. These students are very capable and willing to speak for themselves. They do speak for themselves.

They all speak individually and together. Hogg is one of many, which was discussed upthread, links posted, etc.

bumpity bumpity:

They’re all over the place, specifically, speaking their minds as they please. The teachers, parents, friends, first responders, community — they’re speaking, too.

Might be helpful to all of us if we listen to them, too.

1) I am not familiar with your constitution. Does your 1st amendment mean that once proferred, an opinion can't be challenged?

2) She accused him of whining about college rejections. Imoo it doesn't sound like an opinion but an ad hominem attack.

No, he isn't. imho. So a TV station asks a senior his opinion? I'm confused. This is a student-led movement, not a David Hogg-led movement.

Parkland shooting victim Maddy Wilford speaks out following hospital release
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...speaks-out-following-hospital-release-n851286

Parkland survivor throws up, continues 'incredible speech' at March for Our Lives
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ntinued-her-incredible-speech-like/456064002/

Emma Gonzalez stood on stage for 6 minutes - the length of the Parkland gunman's shooting spree
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/24/us/march-for-our-lives-emma-gonzalez/index.html

He's in the forefront of it all isn't he?
(quote)
What to say about last week's shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida? We asked for the opinion of senior David Hogg, the head of the student TV station there:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-school-shooting-survivor-david-hogg-speak-out/

(quote)
Parkland school shooting survivor David Hogg calls for spring break boycott of Florida

One of the Parkland school shooting survivors is calling on tourists to boycott the State of Florida for spring break as a way to get legislators’ attention focused on gun control.

“Let's make a deal DO NOT come to Florida for spring break unless gun legislation is passed,” David Hogg, a Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student who is a leader in the #neveragain movement, posted on Twitter on Saturday.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...g-david-hogg-spring-break-20180224-story.html

I would say Hogg is more of a political activist actually.

(quote)
Parkland school shooting survivor David Hogg calls for spring break boycott of Florida

One of the Parkland school shooting survivors is calling on tourists to boycott the State of Florida for spring break as a way to get legislators’ attention focused on gun control.

“Let's make a deal DO NOT come to Florida for spring break unless gun legislation is passed,” David Hogg, a Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student who is a leader in the #neveragain movement, posted on Twitter on Saturday.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...g-david-hogg-spring-break-20180224-story.html

what exactly is your point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member