Halyna Hutchins Shot With Prop Gun - Alec Baldwin indicted & Hannah Gutierrez-Reed charged, 2021 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think it's important that apparently AD Hall handled the pistol after HGR and passed it to the actor saying "cold gun."

I know there are multiple levels of responsibility, but do you see this as an opening for a defense attorney?

AD Hall accepted the plea, already agreed that he is guilty iirc.

jmho ymmv lrr
Er, the account of a "cold gun" call did not appear in any direct testimony in the Sheriff's Office material. It was an assertion by LE in an application for a search warrant, and then picked up and echo chambered by the media. I give the exact quote and page number back in this thread somewhere.

Er, the account of a "cold gun" call did not appear in any direct testimony in the Sheriff's Office material. It was an assertion by LE in an application for a search warrant, and then picked up and echo chambered by the media. I give the exact quote and page number back in this thread somewhere.

Interesting. LE really messed up this investigation, JMO. They'll probably have a difficult time making charges stick to any guilty party.

Mark your calendars:

There will be a week long hearing starting on Aug. 9 to decide if there’s probable cause for the case to go to trial.
We should be able to learn quite a bit more from that hearing, if it happens.

I also note that that article said that a decision on whether to recharge Baldwin would made soon.

No hearing, going straight to trial:

That doesn't surprise me. It is pretty common for a defendant to waive PH. I thought there was a chance she might want to go through with it, but I assume that her attorneys were confident that she would be bound over for trial anyway. So it was best to keep that testimony out of the public eye for now.

Jury selection will be on December 5th with Hannah's trial scheduled to begin the following day.

Last edited:
“This fatal incident was the consequence of the hammer being manually retracted to its fully rearward and cocked position followed, at some point, by the pull or rearward depression of the trigger,” the report concluded. “Although Alec Baldwin repeatedly denies pulling the trigger, given the tests, findings and observations reported here, the trigger had to be pulled or depressed sufficiently to release the fully cocked or retracted hammer of the evidence revolver.”

The prosecutors had previously stated that Baldwin will be charged again if the gun was working properly.

A new trial date has been set for Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, the armorer for the movie “Rust,” whose cinematographer was killed on the set in 2021.

Jason Bowles, an attorney for Gutierrez-Reed, confirmed Monday that the trial had been pushed back to Feb. 21, citing “scheduling issues for various witnesses.”

The trial had originally been scheduled to begin in December.

The forensics report can be downloaded here:

It is far more professional and comprehensive than the FBI lab report, IMHO. The compelling evidence to me (FWIW) is the photograph of the spent cartridge which shows the primer was struck in the center. This witness mark (again, IMHO) precludes possibility of a premature discharge, because it shows the cylinder was the fully "latched" position when the hammer fell.

It is far more professional and comprehensive than the FBI lab report, IMHO. The compelling evidence to me (FWIW) is the photograph of the spent cartridge which shows the primer was struck in the center. This witness mark (again, IMHO) precludes possibility of a premature discharge, because it shows the cylinder was the fully "latched" position when the hammer fell.
Yes, a MUCH more thorough and professional report. We will see what the prosecutor does with it.

One interesting thing I saw was the reference to the heavily fouled bore. In fact it was so fouled that it reduced the bullet down to .43-.44 cal. Was the barrel of this revolver just never cleaned? I don't think it is necessarily relevant to the case, but just interesting.

Last edited:
yes, MUCH more thorough and profession report. We will see what the prosecutor does with it.

One interesting thing I saw was the reference to the heavily fouled bore. In fact it was so fouled that it reduced the bullet down to .43-.44 cal. Was the barrel of this revolver just never cleaned? I don't think it is necessarily relevant to the case, but just interesting.
One more indication of a sloppy operation, methinks.

One more indication of a sloppy operation, methinks.
Possibly. The guns were rented if I remember correctly. It would be interesting to know the condition they were in when they arrived on set. Since the guns were only props (in theory only to be used with blanks and dummy rounds) perhaps cleaning the barrels of power residue fouling was not a priority since HGR was stretched thin on time due to her other duties. Not sure. But this sounds like a very dirty barrel.

Yes, a MUCH more thorough and professional report. We will see what the prosecutor does with it.

Sounds like the rental company that owned it never bothered to clean it. It apparently wasn't in good repair, either.

Possibly. The guns were rented if I remember correctly. It would be interesting to know the condition they were in when they arrived on set. Since the guns were only props (in theory only to be used with blanks and dummy rounds) perhaps cleaning the barrels of power residue fouling was not a priority since HGR was stretched thin on time due to her other duties. Not sure. But this sounds like a very dirty barrel.
In the civil suit complaint that Hannah filed against the prop house, she claimed that she cleaned the weapon shortly before handing it to Dave Halls.

48. For Alec Baldwin’s gun, Hannah loaded 4 dummy rounds with holes in them from her pants pocket, a 5th dummy round from the box with a hole in it and attempted to load a 6th dummy round without a hole in it from the box but it would not go into the chamber, and she thought the chamber might need to be cleaned.
56. Hannah remembered the chamber that she believed needed to be cleaned in Baldwin’s gun and she cleaned it and then Hannah pulled another round from the dummy box, shook it, and placed it in the chamber.

But it seems she only cleaned the chamber so the bullet would fit and not the entire bore.

The report's author, Lucien Haag, literally wrote the book on investigating firearm crimes. Not surprising that he did a thorough job.

image.jpeg

In the civil suit complaint that Hannah filed against the prop house, she claimed that she cleaned the weapon shortly before handing it to Dave Halls.

48. For Alec Baldwin’s gun, Hannah loaded 4 dummy rounds with holes in them from her pants pocket, a 5th dummy round from the box with a hole in it and attempted to load a 6th dummy round without a hole in it from the box but it would not go into the chamber, and she thought the chamber might need to be cleaned.
56. Hannah remembered the chamber that she believed needed to be cleaned in Baldwin’s gun and she cleaned it and then Hannah pulled another round from the dummy box, shook it, and placed it in the chamber.

But it seems she only cleaned the chamber so the bullet would fit and not the entire bore.

She kept the dummy rounds in her pocket? Wow. Sloppy and unprofessional. Even worse, she admits it. This explains a lot about how live ammo got mixed in with blanks.

The news about this case has died down, but there's a recent article out.

In recent filings the prosecutors say they want to investigate if Hannah Gutierrez was denied sufficient time to train Alec Baldwin.

"Ms. Gutierrez alleges she made requests for additional armorer days and for additional time to provide gun handling training to Mr. Baldwin...Ms. Gutierrez asserts that it is her belief these requests were denied for financial/budgetary reasons."
"As this Court is aware, the special prosecutors have a duty to investigate potentially exculpatory evidence, and as to Ms. Gutierrez, if it is proven true, it is exculpatory."

I'm not sure how exactly this would exonerate HGR from loading a live bullet into a prop gun. But I suspect the prosecutor's real motivation is to find out if Baldwin was the one responsible for cutting back on the firearm training he was supposed to receive.

The news about this case has died down, but there's a recent article out.

In recent filings the prosecutors say they want to investigate if Hannah Gutierrez was denied sufficient time to train Alec Baldwin.

"Ms. Gutierrez alleges she made requests for additional armorer days and for additional time to provide gun handling training to Mr. Baldwin...Ms. Gutierrez asserts that it is her belief these requests were denied for financial/budgetary reasons."
"As this Court is aware, the special prosecutors have a duty to investigate potentially exculpatory evidence, and as to Ms. Gutierrez, if it is proven true, it is exculpatory."

I'm not sure how exactly this would exonerate HGR from loading a live bullet into a prop gun. But I suspect the prosecutor's real motivation is to find out if Baldwin was the one responsible for cutting back on the firearm training he was supposed to receive.
I have the same question: How is that exculpatory as to HGR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtt