Halyna Hutchins Shot With Prop Gun - Alec Baldwin indicted & Hannah Gutierrez-Reed charged, 2021 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with your points and especially her conduct in court. Her lawyer will have drummed into her, face the judge at all times, keep your chin up, don't make facial expressions etc.

I do think her style should have been softened a bit, her dress style and make up is still a bit vampy / gothic looking and that doesn't serve well in a court where someone's death is being investigated.

JMO MOO
She seems the type of person who is very oppositional and insists on making bad choices. It’s probably how she ended up making such poor decisions as armorer.

My apologies if posted already
Ton of info IMO

My apologies if posted already
Ton of info IMO
Informative article. I could do without the winged eyeliner, but HGR does not appear oppositional to me in the courtroom. In reading her backstory, I feel like she might have created a persona to appear cool and “badass” in real life. I wonder why her armorer parent texted her to look for an ammo on the set-did he know that there was a possibility of live rounds mixed in? Was target practice taking place off set during filming? Plenty of blame to go around here. As much as HGR should have checked and double checked and triple checked, there should have been no reason to assume that any of the rounds supplied were live. Worst case scenario should have been between dummies and blanks. Still dangerous, of course. Sara and Kenney and Halls may be complicit, but they have immunity in order to prosecute HGR and AB. I don’t know if all of the blame lies at their feet. If even one of them did their job properly, Hannah would not have died.

I agree with your points and especially her conduct in court. Her lawyer will have drummed into her, face the judge at all times, keep your chin up, don't make facial expressions etc.

I do think her style should have been softened a bit, her dress style and make up is still a bit vampy / gothic looking and that doesn't serve well in a court where someone's death is being investigated.

JMO MOO
Smarter people than me (Emily Baker and Runkel) had positive things to say about her appearance on day one. If I was her lawyer, I'd be more worried about the woman next to her. As it was put on youtube, she's very 'aggressive' looking and I don't think it makes a good impression.
After the pretrial hearings, I came away with the opinion that she has bad lawyers. After 2 days of testimony, I think that lawyer is great in the court room but still seems pretty terrible at paperwork lawyer stuff, and it's bitten him pretty bad twice now.

Informative article. I could do without the winged eyeliner, but HGR does not appear oppositional to me in the courtroom. In reading her backstory, I feel like she might have created a persona to appear cool and “badass” in real life. I wonder why her armorer parent texted her to look for an ammo on the set-did he know that there was a possibility of live rounds mixed in? Was target practice taking place off set during filming? Plenty of blame to go around here. As much as HGR should have checked and double checked and triple checked, there should have been no reason to assume that any of the rounds supplied were live. Worst case scenario should have been between dummies and blanks. Still dangerous, of course. Sara and Kenney and Halls may be complicit, but they have immunity in order to prosecute HGR and AB. I don’t know if all of the blame lies at their feet. If even one of them did their job properly, Hannah would not have died.

HGR's "armorer" dad knew there were possibly live rounds on set because there was, for sure, at least one live round on set.

Charging documents held Gutierrez-Reed responsible for "allowing live ammunition on the set," but not for bringing them to the production.

Once the case reaches trial, defense teams for Gutierrez-Reed and Baldwin are expected to grill prosecutors over their inability to explain the source of the live rounds.

Thursday, jurors reviewed photos of live rounds found on the set.

Special prosecutor Jason Lewis said investigators combed through movie set photos, determining there were six live rounds that circulated the set of the Alec Baldwin-starred western movie — including one displayed in a photo that Gutierrez-Reed took of herself at work.

“There is a live round sitting right on Ms. Gutierrez’s lap and she failed to identify it,” Lewis told the 12 jurors as they were shown the image.

Gutierrez-Reed photographed herself in a photo on set with a live round. Seen bottom left.
EXHIBIT #9
1708878836652.png

She seems the type of person who is very oppositional and insists on making bad choices. It’s probably how she ended up making such poor decisions as armorer.

@Betty P ‘oppositional’ is a good word. She reminds me of the trouble maker in school hallways. The one you stay away from with hopes that she doesn’t trip you or put graffiti on your locker.

WATCH LIVE: ‘Rust’ Movie Shooting — NM v. Hannah Gutierrez — Day Three
https://youtube.com/live/hsK2Y03srlc?si=ANtipCECqLHV_P8w via @YouTube

Op2aEaMd

@CourtTV

LIVE: NM v. #HannahGutierrez | Baldwin Movie Shooting Trial - Day 3Hannah Gutierrez, 25, is facing involuntary manslaughter in the shooting death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins. Gutierrez was the armorer on the #AlecBaldwin #Rust movie set. #CourtTV http://court.tv/1hc

The trial against Hamnah Gutierrez Reed continues today. Updates throughout the day will be in this thread

The state has called their first witness today, FBI firearm examiner Bryce Ziegler. He is the one who tested the revolver Alec Baldwin was holding when Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was shot and killed on the set of rust.

DAY 4 in the "Rust" manslaughter trial of armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed. She faces up to three years in prison if convicted on charges connected to the Oct. 2021 film set shooting involving actor Alec Baldwin.

Witness #8: Bryce Ziegler, FBI Forensic Examiner.ZB tested 50 items related to this case including the revolver that fired the deadly round, killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins. ZB says hammer must be manually cocked by shooter each time in order for it to fire.

ZB: Revolver is designed to only fire when the hammer is in fully cocked position.Owner’s manual warning: it’s advised that you load one less cartridge in the chamber to prevent accidental firing (we previously learned that gun had been fully by HGR.)

ZB conducted test to get gun to accidentally fire.ZB says there were only 2 times he successfully got weapon to fire by hitting it with a mallet.1st: At resting position with a loaded chamber/ hammer was sitting on primer2nd: when hammer was in fully cocked position

KM: Did you form an opinion on if gun could be fired without handler pulling trigger?ZB: If trigger had not broken (during FBI testing), gun would not fire without pulling the trigger in the full *advertiser censored* position.

Looking at images and ZB's notes on live rounds taken from props supplier "PDQ Props." ZB found the cartridges were different from live rounds found on the set of "Rust."

Judge calls morning break.

@DanaGriffinNBC

To be the sole armorer on a movie set is too serious of a job for a young twenty something person -- imo. Why no drug testing for this job? I'm no expert in the armorer field, but why would they let such a young person handle such responsibilities on their own? Did she really want the job? Only because it being her dad’s line of work and fail to pressure, but really couldn't care less about it?

The cart, the movie set and so much other stuff unorganized --- scary! Why give her more responsibilities in addition to being armorer.

Of course there is reason to believe a case of sabotage — as we all know AB isn't well liked by some, and there were prior safety issues.

We shall see. Moo, at this time.

Testimony in #RUSTMovieSet trial today: FBI firearms expert testified the gun could not have fired without the handler pulling the trigger...which #AlecBaldwin is adamant he did not. Bryce Ziegler (FBI) conducted tests to get the gun to accidentally fire. He got it to fire by hitting it with a mallet, first at the resting position w/loaded chamber, hammer sitting primer and second when hammer was in fully cocked position. In those tests he broke the trigger. His conclusion was the gun would not fire without pulling the trigger.

To be the sole armorer on a movie set is too serious of a job for a young twenty something person -- imo. Why no drug testing for this job? I'm no expert in the armorer field, but why would they let such a young person handle such responsibilities on their own? Did she really want the job? Only because it being her dad’s line of work and fail to pressure, but really couldn't care less about it?

The cart, the movie set and so much other stuff unorganized --- scary! Why give her more responsibilities in addition to being armorer.

Of course there is reason to believe a case of sabotage — as we all know AB isn't well liked by some, and there were prior safety issues.

We shall see. Moo, at this time.
I disagree about the age, but I'm coming from a military background where 24yos have significant responsibilities handling weapons and live ammo. She did act irresponsibly but I don't cut any slack due to age and very little due to inexperience. She signed up for the job and gave her word she could do the job. I do have some sympathy towards producers walking over her, if that did happen, and cutting corners. But her primary responsibility is to stop everything and walk off set if needed, if there were serious safety issues with the firearms.

I do think she wasn't well trained and got the job due to family connections. Then we have the producers cutting corners and everything else that's come out afterwards about safety issues. Plus the supposed disagreements on set. I don't know if HGR did or didn't push for more safety measures and training. She said she did, but the woman called last week as a witness said she didn't. I'm inclined to give befit of the doubt to HGR on that issue.

It looks, to me, like Rust wanted a discount armorer and Seth and Thell thought it would be an easy job to put HGR and Seths sister-in-law on to give them on the job training and add to their resume. Then we have everything going on set. I do wonder if HGR talked to her dad about this. Not complaining to daddy so much as calling her mentor and trainer and asking for guidance, or if she tried to go it alone.

As far as where the ammo came from, I haven't made up my mind but I'm leaning towards the live rounds coming from Thell. Either from Thell to HGR or Thell through PDQ to HGR. Based on the pics, PDQ ran a very sloppy shop. But the FBI witness says the live rounds found at PDQ didn't match the live rounds found on set. Even if PDQ was sloppy and mixed rounds, I'd expect the cops to find something at PDQ that matched the live rounds on set. The powder not matching was significant because it shows that the PDQ live rounds and the Rust live rounds came from 2 different manufacturers.

I disagree about the age, but I'm coming from a military background where 24yos have significant responsibilities handling weapons and live ammo. She did act irresponsibly but I don't cut any slack due to age and very little due to inexperience. She signed up for the job and gave her word she could do the job. I do have some sympathy towards producers walking over her, if that did happen, and cutting corners. But her primary responsibility is to stop everything and walk off set if needed, if there were serious safety issues with the firearms.

I do think she wasn't well trained and got the job due to family connections. Then we have the producers cutting corners and everything else that's come out afterwards about safety issues. Plus the supposed disagreements on set. I don't know if HGR did or didn't push for more safety measures and training. She said she did, but the woman called last week as a witness said she didn't. I'm inclined to give befit of the doubt to HGR on that issue.

It looks, to me, like Rust wanted a discount armorer and Seth and Thell thought it would be an easy job to put HGR and Seths sister-in-law on to give them on the job training and add to their resume. Then we have everything going on set. I do wonder if HGR talked to her dad about this. Not complaining to daddy so much as calling her mentor and trainer and asking for guidance, or if she tried to go it alone.

As far as where the ammo came from, I haven't made up my mind but I'm leaning towards the live rounds coming from Thell. Either from Thell to HGR or Thell through PDQ to HGR. Based on the pics, PDQ ran a very sloppy shop. But the FBI witness says the live rounds found at PDQ didn't match the live rounds found on set. Even if PDQ was sloppy and mixed rounds, I'd expect the cops to find something at PDQ that matched the live rounds on set. The powder not matching was significant because it shows that the PDQ live rounds and the Rust live rounds came from 2 different manufacturers.
I agree with pretty much everything you've said.

However, I do want to point out the power imbalance. If she did what you said she should have done: "her primary responsibility is to stop everything and walk off set if needed," then her nascent career as an armorer is over. No one in Hollywood would ever hire her again.

And to be clear I'm not absolving her of her duty to act responsibly. She plainly didn't do her job.

But this is a situation we see play out again and again in white collar crime and in other contexts. Upper management sets up a dangerous or potentially illegal situation, then when the wheels fall off the lower level people get nabbed and upper management walks away without any repercussions. And it's playing out here with none of the producers facing any charges (excepting Baldwin of course).

WITNESS 9: Shannon Prince, FBI Forensic Examiner.Prince conducted latent prints exam on .45 dummies box found on set of "Rust" film set.Results: 10 latent fingerprintsCompared prints to HGR, Sarah Zachry, Dave Halls and Alec Baldwin2 matched HGR but not the others.

Did the same testing on a second box of dummies - found 3 latent prints.Halls and HGR were inconclusive.SP: it’s possible to touch a box and not leave latent prints

WITNESS 10: Robert Gillette, FBI Explosives Unit (Chemist Forensic Examiner)

WITNESS 11: Jerrilyn Conway, FBI Forensics DNA Examiner. Primary conclusion: Baldwin, HGR and a third person were contributors of DNA on the gun.We already know HGR, Baldwin and Dave Halls touched the gun moments before it fired the deadly round.

WITNESS 12: Ross Addiego, Dolly Grip on the "Rust" film. Blanks can be dangerous on a movie set. Safety gear may be used by crew if blanks are being fired in their direction (glasses, hearing protection, covering camera operators with special coats.).

RA: HGR "wasn’t necessarily as serious or professional as I’m accustomed to.”

RA: “It was out of the ordinary.” Called it concerning that guns and gun belts were left out on prop cart and were not secured under lock and key.

RA: There were quick resets where HGR was put in a position to quickly reload, by first AD (Dave Halls) and actor Alec Baldwin.

RA: armorer is responsible for showing rounds. She didn’t do any of that.KM: when is ammo loaded by armorer? Is that done in secret? RA: It would be during moments of safety check in front of cast/crew. Not a practice HGR did, to his recollection

RA: HGR wasn’t "necessarily as serious or professional as I’m accustomed to.”

RA: describes first accidental discharge on Rust set when prop master (Sarah Zahry) was loading or unloading a handgun. Horses on set were spooked. They were preparing for a scene.

KM: Did you ever see the prop master loading/unloading gun on other films? RA: Never seen that 2nd accidental discharge: HGR was prepping stunt double with firearm, unannounced to anyone outside cabin, firearm was discharged. Both Discharges occurred within an hour.

RA: Accidental discharges are not common.

Edited to include:

KM: who is responsible for accident discharges on set? RA: The armorer

RA: Expressed frustration and anger to 1st AD Dave Halls. RA: safety seems secondary to the production clock RA: “Mr. Halls ignored me and walked away.” RA: does not know if it was ever included in production report

Prosecutors about to play clip from "Rust" that was filmed the morning of Oct. 21 inside church (prior to deadly shooting). Video still shows sound slate with timecode: 12:22:26:22. Baldwin is wearing hat. His head is bowed as he sits on pew. Having tech issue.

RA describes scene they filmed: Baldwin’s character is supposed to contemplate pulling his weapon as lawmen enter church and shootout would ensue.

KM: was Baldwin armed with his prop gun? RA: yes. My understanding is Mr. Baldwin always wanted to use his gun. RA doesn’t know if gun was empty or had dummies RA: did not see who brought Baldwin the gun that morning. They broke for lunch.

@DanaGriffinNBC

Last edited:

Yes, thank you! Serious power imbalance here.

Career-wise, imagine that young person, working toward a career in the movie industry, walking into that set church with the blue prop revolver & saying something similar to:

Oh, AD Hall, charged with safety on set, remember that as Armorer I am expected to check out prop firearms based on the actor's level of safety training. The actor specified for this scene is currently allowed to use this one. The training can be re-re-re-re-scheduled.

1708984964682.jpeg
image from HolsterSmith

imho, don't see that happening.

Re: the second defense attorney -- apparently dressed as a traditional Defense Attorney today. However, the other outfits we've seen -- are not unusual for Santa Fe in my lifelong experience there.

jmho ymmv lrr

Alec Baldwin's 'Rust' trial on involuntary manslaughter charge set for July​

The trial is scheduled to take place over eight days, between July 10-19, district court judge Mary L. Marlowe Sommer wrote in her scheduling order, filed Monday. Jury selection will begin July 9.

We are now hearing testimony from Ross Addiego. He worked as a Dolly Grip on the set of rust. essentially he helped the camera ops get into the positions they need to be in.

4:46 PM · Feb 26, 2024

Addiego says he has worked on more than 200 different sets for movies, T.V. and music videos. Many of those sets also had armorers on them. He testified the armorers were always uptight and anal retentive, very protective of their props and would regularly hold safety meetings.

4:50 PM · Feb 26, 2024

Addiego says that was not the case for Rust. He said there was only one safety meeting in the two weeks they were on set. He says Hannah rarely locked up the guns, would let others load or handle the weapons when she wasn't around, and there were two accidental discharges on set.

4:54 PM · Feb 26, 2024

@spencerschacht

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads