Halyna Hutchins Shot With Prop Gun - Alec Baldwin indicted & Hannah Gutierrez-Reed charged, 2021 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, in the end, what do people here think HGR mostly did wrong in her duties as Armorer?

In watching her very first interview with the female detectives, it sounds as though she believed her primary duties in gun safety was:

1) ensuring the gun barrels were clear of debris; and
2) shaking the dummy rounds to hear if they rattled.

However, she seemed to have no idea there was live ammunition on set even though LE found 6. She seemed shocked to discover a live round was shot, (as were AB, JS and Dave Halls shocked when you see their interviews/testimonies). It seemed to never occur to any of these four that live ammo was the cause.

And then there was that extraction tool that was talked about in the first interview also. Was the implication that she was using live rounds to manipulate them into dummies?

I get the sense she had not been taught enough about what her duties actually were. She even said in that interview that SK was training her as she went along. So, she grew up shadowing her famous stepfather in his roles, and had SK training her on the job. But other than that, she didn't seem to know how to recognize live ammunition. She continually talked about shaking the dummies as her only means of checking them.

All of that coupled with her looking half-asleep, slow, or out-of-it in the first interviews (both in the truck and in the interview room) seems so complacent.

It's quite shocking actually!
I thought that dummy rounds where loaded with BB's in order to quickly and easily know for sure what they are by shaking them.

Checking rounds for holes in the case's would also show that they are dummy's and not live. Did they find dummy rounds that didn't have BB's and only a case hole during this investigation? I don't recall hearing that. JMO.

So, in the end, what do people here think HGR mostly did wrong in her duties as Armorer?

In watching her very first interview with the female detectives, it sounds as though she believed her primary duties in gun safety was:

However, she seemed to have no idea there was live ammunition on set even though LE found 6. She seemed shocked to discover a live round was shot, (as were AB, JS and Dave Halls shocked when you see their interviews/testimonies). It seemed to never occur to any of these four that live ammo was the cause.

And then there was that extraction tool that was talked about in the first interview also. Was the implication that she was using live rounds to manipulate them into dummies?

I get the sense she had not been taught enough about what her duties actually were. She even said in that interview that SK was training her as she went along. So, she grew up shadowing her famous stepfather in his roles, and had SK training her on the job. But other than that, she didn't seem to know how to recognize live ammunition. She continually talked about shaking the dummies as her only means of checking them.

All of that coupled with her looking half-asleep, slow, or out-of-it in the first interviews (both in the truck and in the interview room) seems so complacent.

There's also the fact that she didn't supervise the cart, which was her responsibility to do so. No one was watching it at all. Moreover, a witness stated during the trial that the cart was a mess, untidy and disorganized, not exactly a good thing when there are weapons involved.

In watching her very first interview with the female detectives, it sounds as though she believed her primary duties in gun safety were:

However, she seemed to have no idea there was live ammunition on set even though LE found 6. She seemed shocked to discover a live round was shot, (as were AB, JS and Dave Halls shocked when you see their interviews/testimonies). It seemed to never occur to any of these four that live ammo could be the cause of what projected from the gun.

And then there was that extraction tool that was talked about in the first interview also. Was the implication that she was using live rounds to manipulate them into dummies? That part wasn't clear to me but during that first interview, HGR was going to demonstrate using the tool but they couldn't find an extractor.

BBM. That's an easy question that the jury seemed to take little time in answering: HGR loaded a live round into a movie set prop gun and it resulted in the death of HH and injury to another.

JMO

It wasn't AB's job to check the gun. It wasn't AB's job to know anything about HRG. He didn't personally hire her, did he? The testimony at trial proved who was responsible to the satisfaction of this jury.

JMO

Right, that’s what I’ve come to know about what his responsibilities are and aren’t as an actor.

I made the distinction of what ‘I personally’ think. My actions would be different based on what I have heard all of my life.

The things I mentioned are not against the law but to *me* they are negligible. Poor judgement, disgruntled crew members, lack of order/lack of communication, cheap labor and a rushed deadline all made it risky in this case with a firearm present.

Right, that’s what I’ve come to know about what his responsibilities are and aren’t as an actor.

I made the distinction of what ‘I personally’ think. My actions would be different based on what I have heard all of my life.

The things I mentioned are not against the law but to *me* they are negligible. Poor judgement, disgruntled crew members, lack of order/lack of communication, cheap labor and a rushed deadline all made it risky in this case with a firearm present.
Your personal opinion wasn't a factor at trial. The jury had to reach a conclusion based on actual evidence, not their personal opinion. And they did just that.

JMO

I thought that dummy rounds where loaded with BB's in order to quickly and easily know for sure what they are by shaking them.

Checking rounds for holes in the case's would also show that they are dummy's and not live. Did they find dummy rounds that didn't have BB's and only a case hole during this investigation? I don't recall hearing that. JMO.
Yes, that's my understanding also.
In that first interview, HGR said she shook every round of the 6 in the gun.
But of course she missed the live round which wouldn't have sounded like the others and would have looked different as well.
I think most of her incompetencies were very evident in that first interview, even without the trial evidence. IMO.

There's also the fact that she didn't supervise the cart, which was her responsibility to do so. No one was watching it at all. Moreover, a witness stated during the trial that the cart was a mess, untidy and disorganized, not exactly a good thing when there are weapons involved.

She also left the gun out of her possession. She is the custodian of the weapon and her eyes should be on it 24-7. Gun instruction, safety and keeper of the weapon is the point of having an armorer.

Yes. And she didn't intervene when people were pointing their weapons at others. Well, and even she was pointing her weapon at her own head. There were so many regulations she didn't follow. But what strikes me is that first interview where she had NO CLUE about recognizing those 6 live rounds. It's odd imo. As if she really didn't know how to tell them apart. Her so-called training failed her, and others.
MOO.

Yes. And she didn't intervene when people were pointing their weapons at others. Well, and even she was pointing her weapon at her own head. There were so many regulations she didn't follow. But what strikes me is that first interview where she had NO CLUE about recognizing those 6 live rounds. It's odd imo. As if she really didn't know how to tell them apart. Her so-called training failed her, and others.
MOO.
IIRC, law enforcement had a hard time too discerning live rounds from some of the dummy rounds because there were some dummy rounds that didn’t “shake”. They had to send at least one of them off to a lab to determine live vs dummy. MOO

IIRC, law enforcement had a hard time too discerning live rounds from some of the dummy rounds because there were some dummy rounds that didn’t “shake”. They had to send at least one of them off to a lab to determine live vs dummy. MOO
Did they address how to counter that then? If both an armorer and LE couldn't distinguish between them, then how would anybody be expected to? Or was this why they brought in evidence about the extractor (manipulating rounds). MOO.

1710051518533.jpeg

In watching her very first interview with the female detectives, it sounds as though she believed her primary duties in gun safety were:

However, she seemed to have no idea there was live ammunition on set even though LE found 6. She seemed shocked to discover a live round was shot, (as were AB, JS and Dave Halls shocked when you see their interviews/testimonies). It seemed to never occur to any of these four that live ammo could be the cause of what projected from the gun.

And then there was that extraction tool that was talked about in the first interview also. Was the implication that she was using live rounds to manipulate them into dummies? That part wasn't clear to me but during that first interview, HGR was going to demonstrate using the tool but they couldn't find an extractor.

I'm trying to figure out what did she do right? Even she doesn't know.

What was the wrong choice made by AB? He was following HH's instructions. Aren't actors supposed to follow the cinematographer's instructions when rehearsing a scene?

JMO

If you believe him. There are various things which bring his version of events into doubt.

No juror said it was a crime for Alec to "bark orders" but I do not think it makes him look like Mr Safety. As @Laughing puts it brilliantly...

Shows Poor Choice

"barking at Gutierrez-Reed to reload his revolver faster, later using it as a “pointing stick” to show cast and crew where to stand."
I think there’s enough evidence to convict Alec, but I wonder if he has acted that way in previous films. Maybe there will be other people from films saying that there was a pattern of similar behaviour on previous movie sets.

He has some violent altercations in his past where he was the aggressor. It’s unlikely they’ll be introduced at his trial but maybe that will also work against him.

She also left the gun out of her possession. She is the custodian of the weapon and her eyes should be on it 24-7. Gun instruction, safety and keeper of the weapon is the point of having an armorer.
In fairness, HGR couldn't watch the cart and the weapons 24-7. She was supposed to also work as an assistant in props and she was upbraided by the line producer for spending too much time on her armorer duties.

None of that should absolve her of responsibility for her negligence. She did unfathomably load the gun with live ammo which in all likelihood she also brought to the set.

But it's also clear she was tasked with doing two fundamentally incompatible jobs by a production that did not care one whit about maintaining a safe set.

In fairness, HGR couldn't watch the cart and the weapons 24-7. She was supposed to also work as an assistant in props and she was upbraided by the line producer for spending too much time on her armorer duties.

None of that should absolve her of responsibility for her negligence. She did unfathomably load the gun with live ammo which in all likelihood she also brought to the set.

But it's also clear she was tasked with doing two fundamentally incompatible jobs by a production that did not care one whit about maintaining a safe set.

I thought weapons were at least locked up in carts?

I didn't realize prop guns are just normally sitting around, well, on this set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member