Halyna Hutchins Shot With Prop Gun - Alec Baldwin indicted & Hannah Gutierrez-Reed charged, 2021 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I looked up the HGR case online. Seems like Bowles is filing an appeal based on the prosecution hiding other exculpatory evidence. (Not the ammo but the supplement to the Haag report that was briefly mentioned in today's hearing.)

In short, despite having in its possession a report from its own experts stating that the firearm used on the set of the Rust film contained unexplained toolmarks on critical surfaces of the trigger and sear, which (1) likely were not “the result of the damage incurred during the FBI’s impact testing,” and (2) “do not appear to be original manufacturing marks or use and abuse toolmarks based on [their] irregular orientation,” the State buried this information and never disclosed it to Ms. Gutierrez-Reed. But not only that: the State then called the expert at trial and sat idly by as he perjured himself during cross-examination.

Erlinda Johnson: "She was killed because someone pointed a gun at her. [...] Never point it at another person, and don't put your finger on the trigger until you're ready to shoot. Those are cardinal firearm handling safety rules."

Super reductive. The defendant is an actor on a movie set (not a gun range) who had every right to assume the safety measures implemented would work as intended.

The state successfully brought charges against the two people whose job is pivotal to loading and inspecting the weapon. "Cold gun," they declared. The actor is presented the "option" or "opportunity" to inspect the weapon. This last stage is not a requirement.

"Whip it [the gun] out", he was instructed. Baldwin repeats back the instruction. Whip it out. "Yeah," comes back the reply.

Actors are not 6 axis robotic arms working on a Chrysler production line, moving to precise inputs. There is going to be some degree of laxity.

So do I have this straight? Bowles (HGR's attorney (whose client was just convicted and whom he knew would appeal the conviction) is shown bullets that match the live round that resulted in a person's death by someone who he intended to call as a witness. When he sees the bullets, recognizes they match, says he doesn't want them and doesn't call this person to testify.

The bullets get turned over to the sheriff's dept., and when the prosecutor of HGR (and also in the Baldwin case) contacts Bowles about the bullets, Bowles sends her (Morrisey) a picture that is *not* the bullets he was shown (because they would be damning to his client HGR)? Morrisey then decides they are of no value to her own case so doesn't make sure the info about them gets turned over to the defense?

Did Morrisey get bushwhacked by HGR's attorney who sent her a pic of different bullets (because the bullets displayed in court today did match the lethal bullet)?

I agree with the judge's decision, no question, I'm just wondering if Bowles intentionally misled Morrisey by sending her a pic of different bullets, because the actual bullets matched. Still up in the air - if they didn't help or hurt Baldwin's case, and bolstered the case against HGR, why did the sheriff's dept. hide the bullets?
Funny, my husband watched today and that’s what he was asking. The fella with the bullets in the sheriff’s office said the defense asked him for the cashe of bullets, but now didn’t want them. Everything was sketchy to me- both sides. IMO.

Anyone else bothered by how quickly Johnson is doing the media circuit? I get that she feels blindsided but she could’ve just let this breathe for a while. And then given a statement for public release and been done. She’s already on Cuomo and with Angenette Levy for L&C and the ink on the dismissal order hasn’t even dried yet. Based on the unfolding scene everyone can figure out pretty easily why she quit. It was not really that difficult of a decision. Nor does it take a lot of courage. She was saving her own career. It was very clear by that point which way the wind was blowing. She walked off rather than sink with the ship. Pretty easy choice!

JMO

Anyone else bothered by how quickly Johnson is doing the media circuit? I get that she feels blindsided but she could’ve just let this breathe for a while. And then given a statement for public release and been done. She’s already on Cuomo and with Angenette Levy for L&C and the ink on the dismissal order hasn’t even dried yet. I think we all get why she walked off. It was not really that difficult of a decision. Nor does it take a lot of courage. She was saving her own career. It was very clear by that point which way the wind was blowing. She walked off rather than sink with the ship. Pretty easy choice!

JMO
You are not alone in your thinking.

This is correct. Judge also nailed this down from the lead detective. Lead detective and Morrissey were playing word games and that’s what angered the judge from the get go. Crime scene tech Poppel lied out front on the stand and the lead detective admitted Poppel gave false testimony on this issue. The state and LE were circling the wagons and obfuscating.

JMO
Wonder whose pic it was that Spiro wanted to reveal? Was it Morrissey and Hancock?

Erlinda Johnson: "She was killed because someone pointed a gun at her. [...] Never point it at another person, and don't put your finger on the trigger until you're ready to shoot. Those are cardinal firearm handling safety rules."

Super reductive. The defendant is an actor on a movie set (not a gun range) who had every right to assume the safety measures implemented would work as intended.

The state successfully brought charges against the two people whose job is pivotal to loading and inspecting the weapon. "Cold gun," they declared. The actor is presented the "option" or "opportunity" to inspect the weapon. This last stage is not a requirement.

"Whip it [the gun] out", he was instructed. Baldwin repeats back the instruction. Whip it out. "Yeah," comes back the reply.

Actors are not 6 axis robotic arms working on a Chrysler production line, moving to precise inputs. There is going to be some degree of laxity.
I didn't watch the HGR trial but I recall (someone correct me if I misunderstood) that they were running low on dummy or blank rounds on the Rust set and the armorer/prop person was taking out bullets from live rounds and making them into dummy or blank rounds. The primer stayed the same though, so unless each bullet was picked up and shaken, no one would be able to tell the difference between a live round and the modified dummy round?

The set of a movie where guns are being used generally means a gun is going to be aimed and shot at 'someone', so unless Baldwin, told he was given a cold gun, would only know it wasn't safe if he unloaded and checked each round, right?

At some point, someone was likely to be shot with a round that was supposed to be modified into a dummy/blank but was actually a live round with the way they were modifying the bullets and not being extremely careful with them.

Johnson has been a defense atty for the past 16 years. She’s clearly milking this moment to promote herself.

I disagree with how she characterized a prosecutor’s role. A prosecutor is also an advocate. They advocate for truth and justice. They advocate for the victim. They are not simply there to present facts to a jury. They are not there solely to win convictions either but they are advocating for a particular side. She seems biased fo defense and gave a weak analysis of the state’s case against Baldwin.

I don’t support what Morrissey did in concealing this evidence and her behavior in court today was atrocious. I also understand why she wanted to fight for her case. Maybe I’m biased toward her because I really liked her until today.

JMO

Halyna’s husband speaks out

“Matthew Hutchins, who was married to victim Halyna Hutchins for 16 years (pictured with their son Andros), said in a statement after the shock ruling that he looks forward to 'holding Mr. Baldwin accountable for his actions”

I am still curious if Morrissey was signaling/communicating with witness on the stand... wish we could've seen that.
Morrissey was accused of this in HGR’s trial as well. She was mouthing things I believe. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong. All these trials get jumbled in my head sometimes.

I would give Morrisey more latitude if they didn’t put a totally different case number on these bullets. But that proof is that they were burying this evidence. Also, if she didn’t call him names before the trial, it does remind me of the lead investigator in the Karen Read trial. Where the focus is so steep that they are willing to bend the rules to make the conviction.

As I have mentioned before, my husband works for Hollywood. I know that corners are cut, but I also know how much they value everyone’s role on set. The actor’s role is to act, the medic’s role is to watch safety and protect the actors, the grips role is to set stands and lighting and onset labor, the armorers role is to make certain the guns are safe and handled properly! HGR is absolutely guilty in my eyes.

I do not like AB at all. I personally feel he is arrogant and a total jerk. But I felt that from the beginning they were overreaching in trying him. Again, just my own opinion based on my knowledge of movie making.

Morrissey was accused of this in HGR’s trial as well. She was mouthing things I believe. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong. All these trials get jumbled in my head sometimes.
She could not help herself. Constantly nodding and shaking her head upon witness answers. Receiving a rebuke here at the 48:30 mark

Forever, I will be curious about what would have happened without the events that led to the dismissal.

I have a thought. Do you all recall who is it Teske? the guy with the AZ bullets? Did t he say the defense knew about his bullet situation ? I totally agree the Pros held back Brady material, but, does anyone else think that before today the defense knew they hadn’t revealed it during prelims? I do, unless I am misunderstanding . Seems like superb lawyering on their part, I don’t think this was any secret and comes the day after Baldwin got crushed on yesterdays rulings. Very interesting all around.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back