Hannah Graham: Body Recovered, 18 Oct, 2014 **Awaiting Forensic Confirmation** #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was another neighbor who recently smelled the odor and they closed their windows. Do bare bones release an odor? (Can't believe I'm typing these things.)

As I recall, I believe the neighbor smelled the odor only a few days ago.

Y'all know what? We probably should go over to the "Charges" thread with all these breaking news things. Mods will not be happy.

It seems to me that there are a couple of possibilities regarding her missing hair. If this is a dry creek bed, could recent rains have created brief flooding that carried hair downstream? Could the same theoretical flooding have created mud/sand banks that obscured her hair, while leaving the main bones of her body visible? For that matter, shouldn't we remember that what a searcher sees in a first glance is very different from what the forensics investigators will discover in the course of hours?

That is a good point. Do we know if anyone else confirmed the searcher's observations?

A lot of it doesn't make sense. I read several articles about vultures. They have such a keen sense of smell that they hone in on the dead body within 12-14 hours after the animal (which is what they used) has died.

But I couldn't find anything that stated they are known to take away all the hair. Researchers aren't even sure where or how they roost. They are very reclusive when roosting.

Plus this was not nesting season so there was no need to remove hair to make nests. And it is highly likely even if they do take the hair sometimes they would take every strand.

And what is even more puzzling is the man said he saw vultures/buzzards circling on October 6th and didn't he say he smelled a foul odor?

And then we have the neighbors who said they shut their windows because of a foul odor and this was right before she was found.

While I have seen many carcasses in the road that simply disappear overtime that is due to the buzzards attacking the body but they leave the bones and fur/hair of the animal behind. It erodes away in time and disappears due to traffic going by and running over the flatten carcass shell and it gets caught up in the tires of many drivers' vehicles until it is no longer visible.

So a lot about this doesn't make sense. Especially the lack of any hair on the skull in just 35 days.

It does make me wonder if she was burned before being placed there since no flesh at all or hair was found at the site according to the officer who got a good look at the remains. He himself is puzzled. If vulture attacks happen often in that area to bodies found above ground leaving most bodies skeletonized due to buzzard activity I don't think he would have been as alarmed as he seems to be.

<BBM for Focus>

Ocean, Turkey Vultures do not have nests. They roost in tall trees and the same family's of vultures flock together for several generations. Some for decades and even over a century will use the same roosting areas. TV's do not lay their eggs in nests. They lay them on the ground, hollow trees, etc..
Never corner one in a shed like I once did. Their means of defense is projectile vomit...

If JM burned the remains, it is doubtful that he would have done it at the location where the remains were located. Where there is smoke, there is fire.. Someone would have likely called the FD.. A burned corpse has a very unique and pungent smoke odor like no other...

I've seen a lot of conversation here saying that there was no flesh or hair with these remains, but I have yet to see that in MSM. There was the one LE guy who said "skull and bones," but I have not seen him say there was nothing else, have you? Presumably there would be something else after only 5 weeks.

I understand that there are animals that probably helped with that, unfortunately, but I still find it hard to believe there would be no hair left behind at this point. But we will find out hopefully soon if it is confirmed to be Hannah and this will be moot.

TY for sharing John Tate90210... Imo, searchers should focus on old family plot cemeteries for other possible unknown victims of JM's...
JT90210, do you have a topo map of the Anchorage Farm location where MH 's remains were located? TYIA

It took me a minute to find a source for the body location. Looks like it was around the area I've marked with a red circle.

Harrington-1.jpg

It seems to me that there are a couple of possibilities regarding her missing hair. If this is a dry creek bed, could recent rains have created brief flooding that carried hair downstream? Could the same theoretical flooding have created mud/sand banks that obscured her hair, while leaving the main bones of her body visible? For that matter, shouldn't we remember that what a searcher sees in a first glance is very different from what the forensics investigators will discover in the course of hours?

Or, if it's anything like my observations, the skin over the skull was removed along with the hair (if indeed there was no hair nearby) by scavengers and carried a way away from the body. I've observed that many times when I've come across the remains of animals in the woods. Sometimes there will be a patch of fur far away from any bones. We lost a sheep once, buried him, he was dug up and I found a patch of his fleece up the hill, hundreds of yards from where he'd been buried.

I've seen a lot of conversation here saying that there was no flesh or hair with these remains, but I have yet to see that in MSM. There was the one LE guy who said "skull and bones," but I have not seen him say there was nothing else, have you? Presumably there would be something else after only 5 weeks.

Per a quote on CNN (which is quoting the original source):

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/20/us/hannah-graham-disappearance/

Quote: Behind an abandoned home -- just eight miles from where Hannah Graham was last seen -- they found a skull and bones scattered across a creek bed, he told a local television station

"It was not buried, and its location was not far from the road," he told the station. "There was not any crushing of any bones. As far as skull, everything looked to be in tact to me."

Nearby was a pair of black pants, similar to ones Graham was wearing.

Isn't 3675 a different address? I thought the numerics for the crime scene were 3193.

The adult home location and the mailing address for the business can be 2 different places. We're business owners and our mail is sent to our home address or our office address.

I think you all need to realize that the SAR LEO was not a forensic guy or a crime scene investigator. Just because he didn't see it doesn't mean it wasn't there.

Parker Slaybaugh 8News
9 mins ·
BREAKING: Jesse Matthew to also be charged with attempted capital murder, abduction, and sexual penetration in Fairfax County for 2005 incident.

I personally know that can happen. We lived on 4.5 acres several years ago and had a dry creek bed running through our property. However, when we experienced heavy rain and flash floods, the creek would swell and measure 150-250' wide and rush so fast you couldn't hear yourself think. Our dog once was swept away in the rushing water but managed to find her way home seven days later!

Hannah Graham: Suspect in Case to Be Charged in 2005 Fairfax Assault
David Culver
Monday, Oct 20, 2014 &#8226; Updated at 2:46 PM EDT
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...n-Remains-Found-During-Search--279678342.html

Hannah Graham Missing Person Investigation Update: Search May Be Over as Human Remains Turn Up in Albemarle County
Oct 20, 2014 01:54 PM EDT
By Russell Westerholm, UniversityHerald Reporter
http://www.universityherald.com/art...human-remains-turn-up-in-albemarle-county.htm

CNN had a Doctor (ME) on today, did anyone see him? He named the stages of decomposition.

He said he's seen bodies do that in 4 days in the right conditions (to the bone).

However, he said unequivocally, that NO DNA from the Perpetrator would be there after 5 weeks. None, and he was clear.

Don't shoot the messenger.

CNN had a Doctor (ME) on today, did anyone see him? He named the stages of decomposition.

He said he's seen bodies do that in 4 days in the right conditions (to the bone).

However, he said unequivocally, that NO DNA from the Perpetrator would be there after 5 weeks. None, and he was clear.

yes I heard him.

Not shooting the messenger but that doesn't make sense with them being able to pull DNA in the MH case after 100+ days. I'm not saying they will be able to do so but not sure how it's 100%.

Did he explain how DNA from the perpetrator was evidently found on Morgan Harrington's body, after more than 10 weeks? (I admit that my speculation about possible creek waters flooding over Hannah's remains disheartens me.)

I was surprised to hear him say that, but he didn't mince. He used no doubts or may - he spoke decisively.

He went down the list of each stage of decomposition, but when they got to the suspect, he said this will not yield that DNA. He said it's gone.

Thank you for this, I am not near a TV

I am thinking he means DNA on the body?

But what about clothing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics