Hannah Graham: Body Recovered, 18 Oct, 2014 **Awaiting Forensic Confirmation** #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the problem with the neighbor saying "bad smell" is that turkey vultures don't fool with bodies that have started the putrification stage.

So the time frame doesn't add up from when the buzzards were seen to when the neighbors smelled odor.

My main point is I think we can disregard the neighbor's statement about closing the windows because it doesn't fit the time line.

BBM Yes...disregard. Based on where the "neighbors" live (according to assessment records, which perhaps are out of date), they aren't even close enough to smell any odor. At the point of her interview, they had not revealed the location of the body, they had just shut down the road. She lives right near the intersection....

I wonder if LE is delaying public announcement of the ID to make JLM sweat.

Seems like it wouldn't be very effective, since JLM already knows exactly where Hannah's remains are, and knows if the ones found last weekend are hers or not.

Thank you! I forget about all these different threads in this case, there are just so many!

No problem, I keep getting lost and making a boo boo myself. Sorry Mods!! I am trying not to :blushing:

Yes, indeed. I had just posted a bit ago on the RAT/JM thread about the ask stuff. Did Hannah have any kind of account like that at all, lik kik or another social platform? I can't help revisiting the videos of her downtown walking as if she were in a hurry at first and then more casually when beside LJ. It just doesn't make sense she'd up and walk away from her friends and go downtown unless there was a reason for doing so.

I think she was wasted, she left one party to go to another, got lost, and ended up downtown.

We are all sitting around here thinking of this stuff...I just don't think JM thinks about it that much. I don't think he's all that smart with regard to forensic issues.

He hunts, captures, kills and dumps. Yeah he might keep something. He might dump in areas he is familiar with and drive by. But to me and I'm not always right, he just does his thing like he has for years and figured he would not be caught like has has not been for years.

What caught him was the video.
Then they got his DNA....and now he's officially linked.

Had it not been for the video we would have no ID on the DNA and he would still be out there.

I wish they would hurry on the ID for HG, but there's really no reason to rush so much since he has been charged for 2005. Now he is stuck in jail..he's not going anywhere anytime soon.

To me they really should search everything/everywhere out there. Either way it solidifies things against him if/when remains are ID as HG.

I don't think they would call her dad out there for nothing.

Totally agree with everything you wrote!!!

Virginia State Police announced weeks ago that Jesse L. Matthew, Jr., a suspect arrested in connection to Graham's disappearance, had some physical connection to the death of Morgan Harrington.

http://www.wric.com/story/26874919/bench-warrant-issued-for-jesse-matthew-to-be-moved-to-fairfax

Virginia State Police investigating Harrington's death in 2009 determined that DNA on her body connected the perpetrator to a 2005 abduction and rape of a woman in Fairfax.

Matthew has not been charged in connection to the 2009 Harrington abduction and murder, even though the suspect in that case was previously linked to the 2005 case, and the Virginia State Police have already said that there is a forensic link between Harrington's murder and Matthew.

VSP did not reveal any specific details about the nature of the evidence that they found connecting the two cases, but they have asked the public to call in with any information relating to the Harrington case.

bbm

Didn't someone find Morgan's cell phone and purse in the parking lot? They were found in short order, if I recall. Maybe there is JLM's DNA from those items too.

Matthew was accused of sexual assault while he was a student at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia, in 2002. He left the school the same month. Matthew switched to Christopher Newport University in Newport News, Virginia, in January 2003. He left nine months later after he was again accused of sexual assault by a student.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/23/college-rape-transfer_n_6030770.html?utm_hp_ref
The most recent one he was charged with was from 2005, including Hannah, isn't that four?

Yes, indeed. I had just posted a bit ago on the RAT/JM thread about the ask stuff. Did Hannah have any kind of account like that at all, lik kik or another social platform? I can't help revisiting the videos of her downtown walking as if she were in a hurry at first and then more casually when beside LJ. It just doesn't make sense she'd up and walk away from her friends and go downtown unless there was a reason for doing so.

She could have been heading to where a bus would take her back to "The Corner", a place familiar to Hannah. He may have made the offer of a ride, picked pocketed her phone to waylay her from taking the bus, used the drink to knock her off her guard some more. Whatever he did, he was forced to be seen leaving with her, which he may have wanted to avoid, but that she may have made happen.

No, its 2002 Liberty 2003 CNU Newport news, 2005 Fairfax, Morgan, Hannah.

Five

Teeth are bone - in fact, tooth enamel is even harder than bone, and can last for hundreds, even thousands of years - when bodies are burned beyond recognition, it's often the teeth that are used to identify the remains, since they're the most resistant part of the body to fire. I don't think any kind of decomp process would've damaged the teeth to that extent, but perhaps a large scavenger took away the lower jawbone, and/or enough of the the upper teeth to make id difficult.

I guess the variable here is how recent and encompassing are her radiological dental records? If she's never had a filling, hasn't had any dental x-rays for 5 years, (remember, she's 18 - her permanent teeth aren't that old), etc, that might lead to uncertainty.
'
I can't imagine he'd go to the trouble of damaging the teeth - I've heard of people burning bodies, burying them, or removing their head/hands in extreme cases. But I suppose anything's possible.

A couple of days ago a WS member posted a photo of Hannah wearing braces. Actually, the photo looked very recent because Hannah looked the same age as she has in several other photos. So, there ARE recent dental records, it would seem. IMO

He has been linked to Morgan, but not charged.....right? Just a matter of time IMO

Eta I mixed up names...meant Alexis case not being charged yet. Sorry

A couple of days ago a WS member posted a photo of Hannah wearing braces. Actually, the photo looked very recent because Hannah looked the same age as she has in several other photos. So, there ARE recent dental records, it would seem. IMO

Of course there are X-rays. It's impossible to have braces without them. I was a Dental Assistant many years ago.

... Is it possible he drove down Old Lynchburg with the intention of going to the park but saw the set up for the bike thing and kept driving passed then pulled into that empty property as an alternative? He might have been caught off guard and had to improvise at the last minute which would make his MO appear different. I had quoted something a while back, from an FBI seminar I think, that listed things most often found in serial crimes and one was the dump site being close to a road. Maybe the more females JM killed, the more he began to fit the profile?

BBM
There are at least 3 different triathalons run at WCSP each year. I've participated in one before. I'm pretty sure the Wisdom Oak Tri of Sept 13 is fairly new. I feel confident that most people in Charlottesville have no idea triathlons are held at the park much less what day they are held.

Also, I did a triathlon at Walnut creek a few years ago. The set-up for the triathalon - the bike racks, the tents, finish line etc, - were located down by the lake pavilion. (edited) JLM would not see any of this stuff if he pulled down the drive to the maintenance shed just after the park entrance. There was probably a small sign for the race at the entrance when I did the tri, but I don't recall seeing it.

Just a thought - perhaps there are two things going on here (I hate even typing either of these things but here goes): 1) Due to buzzards/vultures, the bones they are finding are not all in one place, so they are having to piece together the skeleton they discovered in the creek bed. 2) They have found bones consistent with being more than one body/skeleton, so they are having to piece together more than one skeleton and will need to run DNA for each bone to determine who it belongs to.

I wonder if they're looking for the hyoid bone? It's not a very big bone (less that an inch), and isn't connected to any other bones in the body. Could it still be somewhere in the streambed, or could it have been carried away by one of the vultures?

Of course there are X-rays. It's impossible to have braces without them. I was a Dental Assistant many years ago.

Yes, you are absolutely right. I know because all my kids had brace$. Perhaps knowing she had braces and X-rays will help eliminate some of the angst.

Agree 100%. I just can't see Longo calling off the search if he even thought for a second there was a chance the remains were not HG's. That is one persistent and diligent man! VA is lucky to have him that's for sure.

Can we really say they've "called off the search" for HG? I know they cancelled the search that was to include members of the community, but they are clearly still *searching* this wide area near (and not so near) the place where remains were found. They are just using LE instead of the public. So, I take this to mean they have reason to believe they are in the right place and now want to focus their search. They either have proof that the find was HG and are still searching for more evidence OR they cannot identify this as HG but there is some evidence of JM having been at the location, so are targeting their search for HG and/or others.

To FindHG and Heroine- I have been reading your very informative posts for days. Ye are excellent sleuths. Thanks for the insight, I look and enjoy your posts , also thank you to Bessie who does do much for everyone here.

IMO-I think they have found HG but are holding off to the public perhaps because of other undisclosed findings too, who knows??? But I wish the best for everyone involved and hope they can find comfort and peace.

Matthew was accused of sexual assault while he was a student at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia, in 2002. He left the school the same month. Matthew switched to Christopher Newport University in Newport News, Virginia, in January 2003. He left nine months later after he was again accused of sexual assault by a student.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/23/college-rape-transfer_n_6030770.html?utm_hp_ref
The most recent one he was charged with was from 2005, including Hannah, isn't that four?

fact-checking is sometimes scant, depending on the publication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webberry