Hannah Graham: Body Recovered, 18 Oct, 2014 **Awaiting Forensic Confirmation**

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Undoubtedly you've already gotten your answer, but my best guess is that an animal dug her up recently releasing this smell.

As the weather cools, many folks will open their windows, whereas before they may be using hvac/air conditioning to cool their home.. Also JM may have used lime, bleach, etc. to delay the decomposition process. Serial killer Israel Keyes, used drano to expedite the decomp process of his victims. The abandoned house where IK left the Curriers(VT) was later demolished. The demolition crew smelled the odor and chalked it up to a dead animal and hauled them to a landfill with the construction materials..

Serial killer Anthony Sowell; the Cleveland strangler, kept his decomposing victims in his house. He lived next door to a sausage factory. They were fined numerous times due to the foul odor.. You can't make this stuff up...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Sowell
Anthony Edward Sowell (born August 19, 1959) is an American serial killer, identified in press ... I thought I was going to die. ... Sowell worked in a factory until 2007 when he began collecting unemployment benefits. ... she moved out that the smell was from Ray's Sausage Shop, located next door to the Sowell residence.

http://murderpedia.org/male.K/k/keyes-israel.htm
Keyes reportedly broke into the Curriers' home on the night of June 8th and tied them up before driving to an abandoned farmhouse, where he shot Bill Currier ...

foxfire had guessed earlier that it would be near a cemetery, if I recall correctly, as part of some ritualistic process in the aberrant man's head. He'd also said that it may be in place connected to his youth that may have had some meaning.

Thanks. I'm on Google maps and curious if I was going the correct way. Several sweet little churches in this area.

when do you all think we will have official confirmation of the remains + more details?
weeks?

I suspect very sparse details will be released - while there's a lot of curiosity about the case, discussing evidence publicly helps no one but the defense. ID should be within a day or two, cause and manner will probably be weeks (I assume they'll perform toxicology testing.)

I do hate to be morbid; forgive me if it seems cruel to say - but I am curious as to whether some "date rape" drug is found i n her system, (if even detectable so long after death -- and similarly, was he found to possess such drugs), and whether his previous pattern of violence is evident.

Partly because any strongly repeating pattern he displays is suggestive of additional victims yet to be discovered, and partly because either of those factors would be aggravating factors in his sentencing (assuming conviction) and "violence" would destroy any Vandersloot-defense - "she OD'd and I panicked."

Despite the sadness from the unfair and untimely loss of a beautiful young woman, and the loss to the world of the great things she'd have done in life, I'm glad she's no longer alone and lost, and that her family has certainty, now.

There's never "closure" or "justice" - I can only imagine the heartbreak her family faces, and I'm so sorry for them. Maybe it helps to know that Hannah will be his last victim, that she helped stop a monster.

http://wtvr.com/2014/10/18/searcher...says-god-wanted-them-to-find-what-they-found/

ALBEMARLE COUNTY, Va. — The Chesterfield Sheriff’s Department sergeant who discovered human remains while searching for missing University of Virginia student Hannah Graham said he believed God wanted them to find what they found. In an exclusive interview with Melissa Hipolit, Sgt. Dale Terry said his five-person team had finished their search mission near Walnut Creek Park around noon Saturday when something came over him to check nearby properties.

“I don’t know how else to explain it,” he said. “Something inside me just told me to continue to look.”

It was behind a vacant home, in a dried-up creek bed, Terry said he found a skull and bones, along with a pair of tight, dark-colored pants.

More at link...

Interesting that he doesn't mention her shirt and Morgan's shirt was found separately from her body. The net is closing on JLM, imo.

Hate to even ask but... does a body decompose that fast?

From what I have read, yes, a few weeks/a month is all it needs. Once the flies and maggots get started it goes pretty fast, plus one link I read said if the person was injured, the injured parts of the body will decompose even faster....

I think they found her shirt either in Jesse's car or apartment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a sicko! That's insane to keep a shirt. It's bad enough to rape and kill, but you go beyond a certain type of sick when you keep things as souvenirs, but I guess that would be the difference in doing it on accident or doing it because you like to.

We will be referring back to this link - I hope you also posted it in the media thread, initial statement by LEO finders of remains is huge.

This only leaves me with more questions. If the pants were "tight," there must have been tissue, unless he meant "small." So why just a skull and bones exposed?

What were other missing women in the area wearing when they disappeared?

Otto posted this in the forensic link thread: Formula for decomposition -
Here's the formula:

"Decomposition is a complicated process, but is primarily dependant on temperature and to a lesser extent on moisture. In our studies we have worked out a simple formula, which describes the soft tissue decomposition process for persons lying on the ground. The formula is y=1285/x (where y is the number of days it takes to become skeletonized or mummified and x is the average temperature in Centigrade during the decomposition process). So, if the average temperature is 10°C, then 1285/10 = 128.5 days for someone to become skeletonized. Of course, this is a rough estimate since many factors affect this rate and it is typically used at a crime scene when investigators need some time frame from which to begin their investigation. Buried individuals and ones submerged in water have different rates of decomposition. Injuries affect the rate as well since damage to the skin increases blood loss, insect and bacterial action. In severe environments, such as in the arctic or in deserts, rapid desiccation occurs and this makes any accurate determination extremely difficult. Carnivore activity is yet another factor which can radically affect decomposition. Exclusion of insects and carnivores will slow down the process, whereas exposure to many (or larger) carnivores will increase the rate. Remember that decomposition does not end after the soft tissue has disappeared. The skeleton also has a decompositional rate that is based on the loss of organic (collagen) and inorganic components. Some of the inorganic compounds we use to determine the length of time since death include calcium, potassium and magnesium."

http://www.archeo.uw.edu.pl/zalaczniki/upload617.pdf

Creeks become swollen and run faster during and after heavy rains. easy for things once hidden to be revealed. Makes total sense.

We had that rain a few days before they got it and it was wicked rain and wind. A friend of mine's house was struck by lightening and it continued on east. It was definitely the kind of rain that was cause a creek to fill up quickly...

http://wtvr.com/2014/10/18/searcher...says-god-wanted-them-to-find-what-they-found/

ALBEMARLE COUNTY, Va. — The Chesterfield Sheriff’s Department sergeant who discovered human remains while searching for missing University of Virginia student Hannah Graham said he believed God wanted them to find what they found. In an exclusive interview with Melissa Hipolit, Sgt. Dale Terry said his five-person team had finished their search mission near Walnut Creek Park around noon Saturday when something came over him to check nearby properties.

“I don’t know how else to explain it,” he said. “Something inside me just told me to continue to look.”

It was behind a vacant home, in a dried-up creek bed, Terry said he found a skull and bones, along with a pair of tight, dark-colored pants.

More at link...

Wow, that's a really informative article! Thanks, Calico66. The dried up creek bed behind a vacant home that Sgt. Terry says they found the remains would make you think it's off of either Walnut Branch or Ammonett Branch creek beds.

Love to be a fly in JM cell when LE tells him they have Hannah and evidence! He cannot run now! Does VA have the death penalty??/

I have no doubt that had JM escaped detection in this case, some months from now, Hannah's shirt would have been found displayed on a bush near the very spot where a Pantera shirt was once found. Serial.

Just got home and saw this on news ... I am happy her family will get her remains and happy that this will help seal JM's fate ... But beyond heartbroken that she is gone. I knew it, but now I have to accept it. Prayers of comfort for her family and friends ... And justice for Hannah, Morgan, and sadly, probably a few others.

I do believe he lived for this stuff. Everything else was background noise to his abductions.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member