Hannah Graham: The Search - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://persiflage.proboards.com/thread/27

If you haven't seen it, the site above is a fabulous piece of work with maps and aerials of where MH was found and various options of routes to have gotten her there. Great note was made of MH having been placed "with intent" and him having had to overcome great obstacles including a creek and barbed wire fences and quite a trek through the woods.

The description Gilamon gives above of JM's options if Hannah is to be found in this area aren't much different.

[Completely as an aside, I was surprised she wasn't any closer to dense woods than she was (there is some potential thought that she was pushed out of a treeline because of heavy melting snow, rather than having been placed in the field where she was found - but either way, she wasn't in dense woods).]

Thank you for posting this again. I remember seeing it back when MH was found but had forgotten how elaborate the work is.

On the second page I was surprised to see that there is a cemetery on the Anchorage Farm property. ("Cemetary [sic] on the Anchorage Farm property. No relation to murder. Visible from Redhill Road.") http://persiflage.proboards.com/thread/27?page=2. Coincidence?

With regards to the comment on the property that LE was repoted to be searching today by Gilamon: There are some farms out on that part of 29S that are really large- and I'm sure parts of the terrain out there are very wooded with lots of undergrowth. We're only on 2 acres about 5 miles from UVa and our property has a creek/stream that runs through it with lots of trees and vines as well as shrubs between us and our neighbors. We searched our property but are not professionals so I'm sure could miss something.

You rock, thanks for searching your property, and thanks for your local insight!

Hey human, I was looking for the cell phone warrants in Jessica's case, but its really hard for me sometimes considering my personal connection to the case...I keep searching and coming across things I don't want to see :( )[/QUOT

Margarita25, I joined WS because of little Jessica and only read the bones of her case...it was too painful to get too invested. I am sorry for what you must have gone through having a personal connection. I am so very thankful for your input in many of the cases I have followed. That you continue to give your all to each case screams volumes about your character; you could easily give up any time you come across things like this that are heart wrenching for you, but you do not. Thank you for being such a strong presence on WS!!

http://persiflage.proboards.com/thread/27

If you haven't seen it, the site above is a fabulous piece of work with maps and aerials of where MH was found and various options of routes to have gotten her there. Great note was made of MH having been placed "with intent" and him having had to overcome great obstacles including a creek and barbed wire fences and quite a trek through the woods.

The description Gilamon gives above of JM's options if Hannah is to be found in this area aren't much different.

[Completely as an aside, I was surprised she wasn't any closer to dense woods than she was (there is some potential thought that she was pushed out of a treeline because of heavy melting snow, rather than having been placed in the field where she was found - but either way, she wasn't in dense woods).]

This is an excellent resource. I appreciate your putting this up. I had not realized such a hike was involved in where MH body was ultimately found.

A ping is when is when a signal is sent to a phone to basically "ask" it where it is. Most phones nowadays have GPS, so that's all that needs to be done to track a cell phone's location, and that process happens automatically at pretty frequent intervals.

In the 'old days' you used to have to figure out where a cell phone was by knowing of a couple different towers that the phone connected with and triangulating based on the times.

There's also something called a "tower dump" which does essentially the reverse -- you are answering the question, "what phones were near this particular cell phone tower?" and look through the tower's records to see if any interesting suspects pop up.

http://pursuitmag.com/locating-mobile-phones-through-pinging-and-triangulation/

ETA: most phones require that the phone not only be off, but also not have a functioning battery for GPS to be disabled. So if JM just turned off his phone, the chances are good that it was still responding to requests for location.

Thank you! a real help.

This question is in relation to cell phone pings and GPS, however off topic due to the fact I am asking for personal reason. I have a daughter who is in college in another state and we are looking at what app is best to track her phone in case we need to. We have AT&T and she will soon have a Samsung Galaxy. I appreciate any information any of you can give me. Please PM me with your advice as I understand this topic could disrupt this forum. I truly do not want to derail this forum but am confident about posting this here because I do believe you guys are the best of the best when it comes to protecting our precious assets!!

I don't know the answer to this, but speaking of derailing....I was THIS close to posting here around 130 AM for advice when a gunshot went off in the field behind my house. Do you call 911 when that happens? I don't know! There are a ton of wild horses back there and I hope no one shot one of them, or anyone, for that matter. :)

For those not familiar with the area. This is a good view from US 29 North. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPdBP1heswY
Obviously a major road, but you can see the terrain from the side. One farm extends to another. Can catch glimpses of that here in small bits.
Thanks, whiskers! This section shown is about an hour and a half south of C'ville. The terrain is similar, but on Hwy 29, south of C'ville, it's not as open looking as the footage you posted makes it appear. Here's a similar video, but driving on Hwy 29S, about 12 miles south of C'ville, close to the areas we've been discussing tonight.

Driving Highway 29 South, starting near Covesville: http://youtu.be/O40KAs10VbQ

Do we know if Jm had GPS on his phone? If not the ping is only narrowed to a 20 sq mi area.

Anyway, it looks like LE is basically searching everywhere they possibly think Hannah might be. Not only on Gilamon's farm area, but other areas as well, as evident in various recent post by local posters (Georgetown Rd, etc...)

I really have to commend them...\working so hard on a Sunday at that...

Very often LE searches places to "rule out" places, and not necessarily because they think there is a strong indication that something could materialize.

But from Gilamon's post, it sure is hard not to be hopeful considering LE said they feel optimistic about it being a strong lead.
And they now have cell phone pings to go on. I can't imagine a better "lead"!!!

Hey human, I was looking for the cell phone warrants in Jessica's case, but its really hard for me sometimes considering my personal connection to the case...I keep searching and coming across things I don't want to see :( )

Margarita25, I joined WS because of little Jessica and only read the bones of her case...it was too painful to get too invested. I am sorry for what you must have gone through having a personal connection. I am so very thankful for your input in many of the cases I have followed. That you continue to give your all to each case screams volumes about your character; you could easily give up any time you come across things like this that are heart wrenching for you, but you do not. Thank you for being such a strong presence on WS!!

Oh my God, I'm balling. I really am.

Thank you so much, perfectingpink, and all of you here.

It is amazing to think that exactly 2 years ago today I joined this forum...to think that 2 years later I'd be on here day and night...so much I want to say...I was so angry, so terrified for my students, so heartbroken, it was like being in a real life horror movie, worried about tripping over body parts, looking over your shoulder every minute (I still do), wondering if its someone you know......etc etc...thinking about what Jessica must have gone through (still haunted by this)...some of you probably remember how cold I was, every word I uttered it seemed like was a curse word....I lost a lot of friends because of my anger...I literally lost my mind...don't know what I would have done without this forum...one of my best friends kept trying to help me turn it around somehow for the positive...I feel that being here is a part of that...I don't want to derail too much, but thank you sooo much. I think about the pain that Hannah's family (and all other victims' families) must be feeling...if there's anything here that we can do to help...

:grouphug:

balling my eyes out, lol

Jessica lives on through all of us here, as do all the other victims.

I posted a thread for her yesterday. An app was created that could help other missing kids in the future...it's called the Lassy Project...here is the link to thread:

Celebrating Jessica Ridgeway - Inspiration for The Lassy Project - Westminster PD
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?259234-Celebrating-Jessica-Ridgeway-Inspiration-for-The-Lassy-Project-Westminster-PD

Do we know if Jm had GPS on his phone? If not the ping is only narrowed to a 20 sq mi area.

From what Gilamon said, they were going by GPS and I believe he said they were a half mile off when on his property. Correct me if I am wrong, Gilamon. :)

wonder why LE didn't take this 'ping' coordinate info , slap it on google map, cross reference with the Ablemarle property records/GIS Web, to find the owner/boundaries, instead of plunging around through what sounds like a lot of undergrowth in hopes of finding a destination?

wonder why LE didn't take this 'ping' coordinate info , slap it on google map, cross reference with the Ablemarle property records/GIS Web, to find the owner/boundaries, instead of plunging around through what sounds like a lot of undergrowth in hopes of finding a destination?

Time? The city emergency services themselves are just starting to get into GIS. Property records (map/surveys) aren't on line, I don't think, locally. It's a Sunday. Hampton Roads crews leave tonight.

I don't know the answer to this, but speaking of derailing....I was THIS close to posting here around 130 AM for advice when a gunshot went off in the field behind my house. Do you call 911 when that happens? I don't know! There are a ton of wild horses back there and I hope no one shot one of them, or anyone, for that matter. :)

This is what I have tried to instill because I seem to have a natural "alert button" installed in my head: It is better to react and be proven wrong than to do nothing and be proven wrong. I tell them that at the end of the day, they have to live with their decisions. I choose to never have to end up in a position where I have to say "I should have...".

I cannot get an article to paste on here!

This summer, there was a court ruling that LE must get warrants. Sure takes a long time!!

I am now retired, but my former profession with the County/State licensed me to be on private property within a specific county. Technically speaking, if the property owner objected after I arrived at their property I would need to leave and return after obtaining a warrant. Practically speaking, 99.9% of the property owners had no problem simply agreeing to allow me on their property. I am in CA, so the laws may be different in other states. LE may simply take their chance at showing up somewhere and receiving permission from the owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MADELINE123654