Harvard Professor Arrested--Gates Black in America

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I bet the neighbor thinks twice before calling if he sees someone else breaking in. Let the professor worry about it if it is too much to show his identification. Policemen are put in dangerous situations and can't be expected to recognize everyone on sight, even distinguished professors.

I think the real question is the order that things happened. I believe the professor when he says the police came into his residence. i believe the professor when he says he showed his ID and I believe him when he says he was arrested. Is what you don't hear from him is the order that things happened. A person that instigates the situation intentionally leaves out details like "it was 10 minutes later after i threw out all sorts or racial accusations that I showed my ID" He never says "as soon as the officer showed up, i showed him my ID and we established that the home was his.

Putting together the ambiguity of the professor and the fact that he doesn't state he immediately showed ID, or was orderly, etc. and combining that with the officer's comments I come up with the following story:

Police are called with break-in and show up. Police confront professor. Professor doesn't co-operate and starts using racial accusations. Professor finally shows ID and establishes his home, and continues to be confrontational. Professor gets arrested due to bad behavior.

That is the way i read the story.

Here is a link to an article on CNN posted on page one of this thread. LINK It outlines both the accounts made by both men as to the order of events.

Gates says he entered the house, spent a few minutes inside until the police arrived. He says he showed his drivers license (which would state his address) and work ID. Then the officer entered the house only to continue to question him about the matter. This is what he says provoked the incident. The police officer's account is what most people on here are restating.

I just wanted to clarify that the information is out there and the both sides of the story are available. The charges have been dropped but each man is maintaining his account of the events. I don't think it is fair to say that the prof. is obscuring the timeline to make his case for racial profiling or to minimize his role.

I have a question.

If it's ok for us to be filled with righteous indignation for Professor Gates (who feels he is being discriminated against due to his race), is it also ok for us to feel righteous indignation on behalf of the white officer who arrested him, who is also now being discriminated against (due to his race) by Dr. Gates and his supporters?

For the record, I don't believe in discrimination. I believe in fairness and equality for everyone, regardless of skin color.

I have a question.

If it's ok for us to be filled with righteous indignation for Professor Gates (who feels he is being discriminated against due to his race), is it also ok for us to feel righteous indignation on behalf of the white officer who arrested him, who is also now being discriminated against (due to his race) by Dr. Gates and his supporters?

For the record, I don't believe in discrimination. I believe in fairness and equality for everyone, regardless of skin color.

Sure. I think many people people in this thread are writing of their support for the officer, or to express their indignation regarding the perceived discrimination of the police officer. That seems to be occurring.

My position is different than some. I don't even think I would say that the prof was a victim of the police officer's racism. I don't think this was a man to man discrimination thing. I think it's larger. It's systemic/institutional racism. There are unspoken/unconscious assumptions about people based on identity (going way beyond race!! age, gender, ability, sexuality, language, class, legal status, etc.) that can create barriers for people in all areas of life.

This is such a messy topic. It's emotional. I've just been posting in the hopes of acknowledging both sides of the story when I've noticed that some of the facts are being blurred when we get caught up in the emotions of justice and fairness. Identity issues are always going to be a bit more messy than most of the stuff that brings of together on websleuths.

(long time lurker.. first big day of posts!)

Sure. I think many people people in this thread are writing of their support for the officer, or to express their indignation regarding the perceived discrimination of the police officer. That seems to be occurring.

My position is different than some. I don't even think I would say that the prof was a victim of the police officer's racism. I don't think this was a man to man discrimination thing. I think it's larger. It's systemic/institutional racism. There are unspoken/unconscious assumptions about people based on identity (going way beyond race!! age, gender, ability, sexuality, language, class, legal status, etc.) that can create barriers for people in all areas of life.

This is such a messy topic. It's emotional. I've just been posting in the hopes of acknowledging both sides of the story when I've noticed that some of the facts are being blurred when we get caught up in the emotions of justice and fairness. Identity issues are always going to be a bit more messy than most of the stuff that brings of together on websleuths.

Welcome to the board :) Your insight and diplomacy are greatly appreciated!

I just wanted to clarify that the information is out there and the both sides of the story are available. The charges have been dropped but each man is maintaining his account of the events. I don't think it is fair to say that the prof. is obscuring the timeline to make his case for racial profiling or to minimize his role.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Well, this disparity of events is probably why Bill Cosby made these comments in an interview. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/072309_Bill_Cosby_reacts_to_Gates_incident[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Decidedly both men see these events from their perspective and none of us know who said what or when -- or even how. Were they polite or were they confrontational from the start? Both could be bringing preconceived ideas about the other person based on 1) race/Gates, 2) bully police/Crowley[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]. They didn't filter out these prejudices to keep their cool and deal with the events at hand[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]. It is possible Gate's expertise made him more reactionary to perceived prejudice just as the white policeman [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]could have prejudg[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ed Gates based on [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]his race. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Truthfully, I would be surprised if the police knocked on the door and waited for someone to answer. If they thought it was a burglary, I would think they would just enter. A thief could answer the door and pretend to be the homeowner, run out the back, or they could be hold someone hostage. I don't know Cambridge bu[/FONT]t all that is a very real possibility where I live.

Rublet:

Welcome!!!

Here is a link to an article on CNN posted on page one of this thread. LINK It outlines both the accounts made by both men as to the order of events.

Gates says he entered the house, spent a few minutes inside until the police arrived. He says he showed his drivers license (which would state his address) and work ID. Then the officer entered the house only to continue to question him about the matter. This is what he says provoked the incident. The police officer's account is what most people on here are restating.

This is the very article that leads me to believe there is more to the timeframe, that intentionally isn't being put into order by the professor. An officer showing up at a house of a breakin would not want to enter the home. They would have whoever is at the door come out, for their own safety. The officer says the professor wouldn't come out. Then at some point the officer enters the home. I have to think that that is because he wouldn't step out of the house as requested, and that that is where the problem started. Once in the house, the professor shows Harvard ID. This leads to a call to Harvard Police. If that is the only ID shown, that seems like an appropriate action on the part of the police. The license is shown sometime after that, but this had already escalated by that point. This didn't escalate after the professor showed his license.

All in all, Bill Cosby's comments were very well thought out.

Thanks for coming aboard, rubelet, and sharing your interesting opinions. I hope we will hear more from you! :)

Can you believe this? The man breaks into his own house and is arrested!

Apparently, the police asked him for his i.d. which he gave them in addition to his Harvard I.D. Even I recognized this honorable scholar the minute they showed his picture on my t.v. Lord have mercy.

Allegedly, Gates got pissy with the police after they did not believe him and called them "racist" and said, "This is what happens to black people in America."

Sure seems like it.

Oh give me a break. The professor and an 'assistant' wre prying open the door with a CROWBAR! The neighbors called the police.

First officer on the scene (alone) asks him to step outside and produce identification.

The great professor responds with 'Ya, I'll talk to ya momma outside'. Some class act there. Then, only produces the Harvard ID while he calls this lone officer a racist and other names.

He asked for what he got which was an arrest for disorderly conduct. I don't care who he thinks he is.

And as far as the officer goes, maybe you should do a little digging on the quality of officer he is. You might be suprised.

I'm disgusted that MR Harvard Professor is smearing his name this way.

Shame on him.

Here is a transcript of the police report
http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/07/23/0498.001.pdf

I'm sorry if it's already been posted.

I have to say, after reading it, if it's true, I am thoroughly, totally, disgusted with this man's behavior (Professor Gates). What a sad excuse for a man. (of course only 2 people know the truth at this point).

Even more alarming....he's the president's friend. We should all worry about that friendship.

I have been reading the news FOX, ABC, MSNBC, and now Websleuths.

We are never gonna get over this racial stuff because there is a culture out there that just doesn't want to or is totally brainwashed that just because black leaders say over and over that it does exist it is so.
Shoot they would have no job ie: Jesse Jackason , Al Sharptons of the world

Why do you think there is even the slightest bit of racism today... I mean mainstream? Well hmmm look at our media outlets..... Movies, TV, Videos... there's enough stuff out there to scare anyone black or white to death.
Also anyone on here still watch or remember COPS? That was like the show to watch there for a while.... did you see the majority of the crap on that show? No wonder people can think and react racially.

I live near St. Louis and let me tell you.... every day there is shootings, breakins, and murders in this one neighborhood non-stop..... North St. Louis. And who predominately lives in this area? Black Americans.

Churches, community leaders, and many youths in this community have marched, prayed, had shut ins about their community and the violence and still they do nothing, but just keep on killing and committing crime after crime.

And for the President to stick his two cents in just burns me up..... He is supposed to be the leader that brings us together as a nation.... Where was his black community all those years when he was being raised very well I might add?

If you go halfcocked crazy ranting and raving in front of the law you better bet they are gonna arrest your a$$.... I want them to whether you are black, white or polka dotted....
People need to respect LE and maybe this crap wouldn't happen....

Preach about tolerance and working hard and improving your community not totally dwelling on the negative because that's all you are promoting is hate.

REVERSE RACISM is what these people are constantly regurgitating. That is why the US will never get over Racism.

He should have just shut his mouth and did what was asked..... If there is a white chic/ guy busting through my door my town police better be there pulling them out onto the porch and finding out who they are even if its me or my kids or worse a thief.

There must have been one big chip on his shoulder for acting that way....... this is 2009 not 1959

I won't even get into the Black only colleges, contests, and scholarships that my family can't participate in.... yet it is wrong for a white colleges, contests, and scholarships......

What is gonna happen when we as caucasions become the minority? you better bet your bottom dollar those laws will be re-written.

Let's concentrate on making this America... the land of opportunity for all ... who cares what color you are.... judged by your citzenship, good deeds, and honest hard work

Just my opinion

What is sad is that after a distinguished career, this outburst is what most people will remember him by. What a foolish way to behave! I wonder if he might have been drinking. I have seen people who are usually mannerly, start acting very verbally aggressive after a few drinks. I am not saying this is the case, but it was my first thought after reading the report.

It appears our own President is sitting in the driver's seat of that particular bandwagon...

I listened to his comments last night (during his Presidential Address) when asked about this particular situation. He said he is friends with the victim. He said the police arrested him after finding out he did, indeed, live in the house in question. He then called the police "stupid" for doing such a thing.

I agree, it would be stupid for the police to arrest someone after finding out they live in a house they were accused of breaking into. However, I don't think that's *all* that happened (as the President alluded to). Even published news reports say that the man engaged in a verbal sparring with the police, goading them, and THAT's what got him arrested, Mr. President....not the color of his skin.

ETA: I've had time to go back and read some comments, and I must say, I'm surprised. In this day and age, when our police officers are being gunned down by crazy lunatics with little or no warning, I don't blame the officers for arresting him. Here's this man (and, forgive them for not knowing who he was, I didn't) who comes out "swinging" -- verbally speaking. If I were an officer, that would put me on guard. Perhaps if HE had kept his composure, instead of jumping to conclusiions and being combative ("you're only doing this to me because I'm black!) he wouldn't be arrested. Maybe the officers felt threatened by his behavior. At least they didn't taser him, which seems to be the trend in these cases, nowadays. The little old lady who was mouthing off to the officers a while back ("I can't believe you're arresting a little old lady like me!) didn't rasie such a ruckus, only much laughter, and she was doing the same thing this man was. Why shouldn't he get the same treatment? Because (gasp!) he's black and a scholar? Maybe he should act like a scholar then.
------------
He definitely did not conduct himself in a scholarly fashion. Appears to me that the ony persons using any racial remarks were the scholar. A neighbor did report that two black men with backpacks were breaking into the home. I would think that would be necessary information for a police officer to know just in case he comes face to face with the men who were reported for breaking into a residence. Someone was definitely being treated badly because of their race: the police officer because he just happened to be white was screamed at, shouted at and treated without any respect at all. Hey, scholar, the next time someone breaks into your home or you need to call 911, good luck...........

If he had ben white he wouldn't have been looking for a racial incident to put him on the news. A shame Gates is your foremost scholar. Everybody ran their mouth before they knew the whole story...including B. Obama who had no business whatsoever of commenting on it, let along in the fashion he did. He's not a Chicago black activist anymore. He's SUPPOSED to be POTUS.

I've been on both sides of this type incident. Usually it is macho image, sometimes a way out of getting caught. Sometimes it is racist. Always it is touchy. Too bad with the status of Gates and the record of the policeman.

Racism in this Country will never go away. Because some blacks won't let it. The U.S. voted in a black president,IMO, if this Country was still racist that would never have happened. I'm not saying that there are not racist in this Country because there are. But the Country as a whole is not racist. Some black people use their color to their advantage. People treat them wrong because of their color, people owe them something because of their color. Or they use it as an excuse for their behavior. I have a disability but I do not scream I am being discriminated against every time I am not treated like I think I should be. I don't think any one owes me anything nor do I think it gives me a license to behave any way I want to. Before someone starts saying I'm racist, let me tell you that I am not. I have a black Doctor, black dentist, and a black neice that I love dearly. Color means nothing to me, I look at character.

If he'd just cooperated this wouldn't have happened like many of you have said.

About 10 years ago, I (caucasian) was over at my friends' house getting ready to walk over to the Avocado Festival. My friends were a white married couple and she was like 7 months pregnant and it was obvious. Anyway, they turned the alarm on before we closed the door and turned to leave. All of a sudden, Mike realized he'd left the keys inside the house. Long story short, he tried to break back into his house, the alarm went off and the cops came, guns drawn! Mike tried to explain it was their house, but the cops told us to be quiet and to walk up the driveway and put our hands on the trunk of my car (it was about 95 degrees that day). We shut our mouths, did as we were told and they checked our i.d.'s. All the while, I was thinking, "Why would they think a pregnant woman would be robbing a house??" But, my mouth which has a habit of questioning authority, did not say a word (especially with a gun nearby!:eek:). We let them sort it out and after verifying it was indeed my friend's home, the guns went back into the holster.

They said they were just going by procedure and they apologized us and especially to my pregnant friend. Glad she didn't give birth on the spot! We thanked them for getting there so soon just in case it would have been a burglar. Yeah, if you start acting or talking aggressively to a police officer, it's viewed as a threat.

Our police are there to protect and serve. With the exception of Drew Peterson, but that's another subject!

Oh yeah, I was also scared sh*tless hence the closed mouth!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487
Back