HCPD contacts Florida LE about skeletal remains that were found

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Article on Deland remains: out today

http://t.co/D5znWEZcdu
OK, that is just weird. In the first place, this article doesn't say anything that hasn't already been said. Volusia was not able to extract the DNA, so they were going to send it to Texas. We already know that from a previous article. (http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_5dfdaea6-2a12-11e4-93d5-0017a43b2370.html)

None of this is surprising considering Volusia had to do this in a cold case in 2013 (http://www.news-journalonline.com/article/20131118/NEWS/131119485?p=2&tc=pg. University of Texas "participates in the President's DNA Initiative, launched in 2004, that aims to eliminate the testing backlog of DNA samples, improve DNA laboratories' testing capacities, provide research and development of DNA technologies, provide training and assistance for criminal justice professionals, provide access to post conviction DNA testing and provide the use of DNA for missing persons cases and identifying human remains."

From this article:
"Jarvis (the man who found the remains in the bag) said the skull he found was small, so the DNA will also help determine if it was a child or adult." This makes it sound like Jarvis said the DNA will help determine if it was an adult or child. In any case, I have never heard where DNA helps determine if a skeleton was an adult or child. Last I heard, they can only get age within 9 years, but that is with blood.

THEN
"Investigators said they need that DNA to find out if the victim was male or female."

This site
http://www.exploreforensics.co.uk/determining-sex.html
says:
"The determination of sex in skeletons is only possible once the male or female has reached adolescence or adulthood. Sexual dimorphism is slight in pre-adolescent children so this is a difficult task to perform if the skeleton is that of what might be a child."

Which then leads you to believe that the remains are probably a non-adult.

Except HERE http://www.academia.edu/923859/Literature_review_Determination_of_sex_of_juvenile_skeletons

"Although there is an ongoing debate about whether or not we are able to differentiate between females and males before puberty, there is a general agreement that there are indeed differences between the two sexes before the adolescent growth spurt. "

So then I have to wonder if the skeleton was actually complete or not. Or if the Volusia county sheriff's investigators are competent or not. Or if the reporters here were just having a slow day.

This is just a VERY bizarre article, with some nonsensical things.

60 Man Hours to do a complete DNA Test.

Steps and approximate times in DNA analysis:
http://www.patc.com/weeklyarticles/dna-timeline.shtml

I realize that there are many factors involved in performing DNA tests. Especially when they become bureaucratic or budgetary. But, 6 months have gone by already and they have nothing conclusive yet? For a case in which LE have been so "on top of it" yet?

In a 6 month time period, 17 DNA tests could have been performed.

So IMO, I think there is some conclusive evidence but, it's not being released...

:eek:verreaction:
BBM: Except that there is a back log of around a year or so...JMO from what I have read. But I do agree with you about thinking there is something being...avoided...here. I would think this set of remains would go to the top of the heap to make sure is is NOT Heather (or IS, whichever). And then I think that maybe that HAVE determined it isn't Heather and just are not saying. Ah, well... we will eventually find out.

Has anyone been able to find out if there's been a hearing on that motion yet? If it IS working days - then this coming Friday would be day 10 since it was filed. If its not counted in 'business days' - then Monday is day 10.....

What happened to the statements the news reported of it being a young adult female? I agree, this is strange and hardly makes sense

How long could it possibly take for a dental match?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How long could it possibly take for a dental match?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
According to Heather's missing person report in NamUs, those records for her have not been entered. From NamUs:
"Status: Dental information / charting is available and will be entered later "

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/23314/37

If that is the case, it will take forever because there are none of Heather's records entered to compare to. :waitasec: (But seriously, why? Why are they to be entered later?)

I realize that the records not being entered in NamUs should have nothing to do with if LE can match dental records, but I am beginning to wonder if Volusia is having so much trouble extracting DNA, did they even think to do a dental match? It's not like they handed the remains over to Horry county and said "Here, make sure this isn't one of yours, then give it back."

BTW, I agree with you, but if they did a match and it doesn't match, why not say so? Why the filing for speedy trial all of a sudden? Is there is concern that the remains might actually get identified and maybe someone is trying to get through the trial before that happens? Or does someone actually KNOW this is not Heather and wants to get that trial going before a body is really found? (Hey, remains seem to keep turning up all over the place...)

Horry county not saying "The Volusia remains are not related to any cases we have open right now." is just enough for me to keep the option of the remains being Heather's open.

According to Heather's missing person report in NamUs, those records for her have not been entered. From NamUs:

If that is the case, it will take forever because there are none of Heather's records entered to compare to. :waitasec: (But seriously, why? Why are they to be entered later?)

I realize that the records not being entered in NamUs should have nothing to do with if LE can match dental records, but I am beginning to wonder if Volusia is having so much trouble extracting DNA, did they even think to do a dental match? It's not like they handed the remains over to Horry county and said "Here, make sure this isn't one of yours, then give it back."

BTW, I agree with you, but if they did a match and it doesn't match, why not say so? Why the filing for speedy trial all of a sudden? Is there is concern that the remains might actually get identified and maybe someone is trying to get through the trial before that happens? Or does someone actually KNOW this is not Heather and wants to get that trial going before a body is really found? (Hey, remains seem to keep turning up all over the place...)

Horry county not saying "The Volusia remains are not related to any cases we have open right now." is just enough for me to keep the option of the remains being Heather's open.

What's weird to me is the Volusia remains on Namus says the dental 'charting is available and entered', so if they're trying to see if that's Heather, why aren't they entering Heather's dental records? Seems like that would be so much easier, and quicker to match than DNA.

I have never seen....Dental information / charting is available and will be entered later. Has anyone else? Doesn't waiting defeat the purpose,for crying out loud?

But the Volusia County Sheriff's Office doesn't feel comfortable releasing the ME's "very preliminary findings" at this point without corroboration, Gary Davidson, a spokesman for the Volusia County Sheriff's Office, said Wednesday.

I have always thought that the above was strange. What could their preliminary findings be? What...the remains are human? It took even longer just to hear that it was an adult.

The notation "will be entered later" on dental or fingerprint information can mean that local LE has decided for whatever reason they want to keep control of the comparisons. I've seen it before with other UIDs (Racine Jane Doe being one--LE's holding her DNA). The comparison would still be done, but it wouldn't happen automatically.

The notation "will be entered later" on dental or fingerprint information can mean that local LE has decided for whatever reason they want to keep control of the comparisons. I've seen it before with other UIDs (Racine Jane Doe being one--LE's holding her DNA). The comparison would still be done, but it wouldn't happen automatically.

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In any of those Dis posts, did Tammy talk about sewing or making sheets for the kids? How about someone else making them as a gift?

In any of those Dis posts, did Tammy talk about sewing or making sheets for the kids? How about someone else making them as a gift?
She talked about someone who made custom Disney items including things like pillowcases. If someone made her pillowcases, I would think that they may have also made sheets.

Thank you DD. The remains being wrapped in a pink bathrobe, curtains, and a homemade Disney sheet ...
But I guess it is Florida, and with DW being there wouldn't be a big coinky-dink that could be someone other than Heather.

I just don't understand why an ID would take so long, if it were her?

Just checking in.. It is past time to Find Heather, or release this info if she has been located in FL..
'Silence is evil's most lethal weapon...and only causes innocent victim's lives and mounting cold cases'..

I have never seen....Dental information / charting is available and will be entered later. Has anyone else? Doesn't waiting defeat the purpose,for crying out loud?

But the Volusia County Sheriff's Office doesn't feel comfortable releasing the ME's "very preliminary findings" at this point without corroboration, Gary Davidson, a spokesman for the Volusia County Sheriff's Office, said Wednesday.

I have always thought that the above was strange. What could their preliminary findings be? What...the remains are human? It took even longer just to hear that it was an adult.

I have been debating whether to post the following thought I had weeks ago about this because it is a horrible thought but because I think it could be a possibility, I decided to post. I apologize because it is graphic.

That being said, it occurred to me that the reason why there may not be a dental comparison made is because the teeth may have been removed to hinder IDing the remains. May be one of the reasons the Volusia remains have been hard to identify. Maybe now the remains have finally been determined in another way to in fact be Heather and now abuse of a corpse could be added to Tammy's murder charge and sealed.

I hope I am not right.

I dont know about that but I do know that camper beds require specially sized sheets and since they are expensive, many people make them themselves or have someone make them.

I dont know about that but I do know that camper beds require specially sized sheets and since they are expensive, many people make them themselves or have someone make them.

That is a very good point, Victory. I was hoping that LE could track down the woman mentioned in Tammy's DIS blog who made Disney stuff for her in the hopes she could identify the sheet involved in the Volusia remains probe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli