HCPD contacts Florida LE about skeletal remains that were found

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet another missing young girl in the Myrtle Beach Area. Surfside Beach to be specific. :facepalm:

Barely any news or information about April Jane Cline — yet she has been missing for over 12 days now!

And, from what I've read on her "Missing" FB page (Bring April Jane Cline HOME), it looks as though her Mother was given a hard time and quite the "run-around" by LE and the FBI in reporting her missing!

Also, Dawn Drexel has been contacted and has offered her support.

SC - April Cline, 16, Missing from Myrtle Beach Area, 22 October 2014

Yet another missing young girl in the Myrtle Beach Area. Surfside Beach to be specific. :facepalm:

Barely any news or information about April Jane Cline — yet she has been missing for over 12 days now!

And, from what I've read on her "Missing" FB page (Bring April Jane Cline HOME), it looks as though her Mother was given a hard time and quite the "run-around" by LE and the FBI in reporting her missing!

Also, Dawn Drexel has been contacted and has offered her support.

SC - April Cline, 16, Missing from Myrtle Beach Area, 22 October 2014

Yesterday, I ran a search for April Jane Cline<16> Myrtle Beach, SC, through NCMEC and it said: 'No results found'.. What's up with that? Their obviously treating her as if she left on her own free will, imo.. But, as we all know, 16 year olds can rapidly become endangered victims...

April Cline
November 2, 2014
Filed under CUE Alerts
http://www.ncmissingpersons.org/april-cline/

http://www.missingkids.com/search?action=continueSearch&searchSubject=child

Neither lab has been able to positively identify the remains, though Davidson did say the investigation determined the DeLand remains were there before Heather Elvis disappeared in December 2013.

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_4609592a-5fe2-11e4-a52f-001a4bcf6878.html

Emphasis by me. Note it does not say DNA. Possibly other evidence found with or on body? Just a possibility.

I figured it would be unable to be linked to HE because really, what on earth could be taking so long to positively ID her if it was?

I hope they are able to identify the remains as someone's missing loved one. I wish HE's family could gain that closure of knowing and bringing their girl home. I also hope this young lady's remains bring that closure to some family.

Imo, as in the Brittanee Drexel case, the Judge's gag order in the Heather Elvis case was imposed due to the negative effects on Myrtle Beach tourism...

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_62697e6a-6460-11e4-ac9c-001a4bcf6878.html

Heather Elvis search warrant appeal back in court Nov. 13/2014

Attorneys for the Carolina Forest Chronicle and other Myrtle Beach area newspapers are scheduled to appear in court next week to argue for the release of search warrants in the Heather Elvis case.
A hearing has been scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 13 at the Horry County Government & Justice Center in Conway. Circuit Court Judge Steven John is expected to preside.

Releasing search warrants is not unprecedented in South Carolina. In June, a Georgetown County magistrate released a search warrant that was filed in 2010 in the disappearance of Brittanee Drexel, another high-profile missing persons case.
&#8220;I don&#8217;t mind you having this,&#8221; Isaac Pyatt, chief magistrate for Georgetown County, said to a Chronicle reporter.

&#8220;The Constitution guarantees the public the right of access to court records,&#8221; Bender said. &#8220;The position the newspaper is taking here is consistent with the right of court access.&#8221;

<sniped - read more>

Neither lab has been able to positively identify the remains, though Davidson did say the investigation determined the DeLand remains were there before Heather Elvis disappeared in December 2013.

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_4609592a-5fe2-11e4-a52f-001a4bcf6878.html

Emphasis by me. Note it does not say DNA. Possibly other evidence found with or on body? Just a possibility.

I figured it would be unable to be linked to HE because really, what on earth could be taking so long to positively ID her if it was?

I hope they are able to identify the remains as someone's missing loved one. I wish HE's family could gain that closure of knowing and bringing their girl home. I also hope this young lady's remains bring that closure to some family.

Duly noted.

I interpreted the findings (or lack there of):
1. LE completed a DNA test and could not identify the remains. [Because, DNA did not match any others in CODIS?]​
2. The DNA test did not match Heather's. [You would think that they compared DNA. Did they? There is no direct statement to verify this. So, I may be contradicting my previous post of elation. #1214]​

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the University of North Texas have performed DNA tests on the remains. Neither lab has been able to positively identify who they belong to, Davidson said.
3. The "experts" determined that the remains are not Heathers since they're older than three months. [Who is the "expert"? University of North Texas?]​

“Heather Elvis went missing approximately three months before the remains were found here,” he said. “The experts who’ve examined the remains are confident that they’re older than three months.

So, with these two methods of verification (the DNA test being the most scientific and proven), why can't the information dispelled be a bit more conclusive and forthcoming? What's with "reasonably confident", "somewhat", "not positively" and "undetermined", etc.?

Imo, as in the Brittanee Drexel case, the Judge's gag order in the Heather Elvis case was imposed due to the negative effects on Myrtle Beach tourism...

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_62697e6a-6460-11e4-ac9c-001a4bcf6878.html

<sniped - read more>

<sniped for brevity>

I would have to agree with that statement @Foxfire in addition to my own opinion that, the "powers that be" tend to do whatever they want around these parts. After moving here a mere 6 years ago, it became immediately apparent and pretty obvious that the local Gov. and all of its cronies will manipulate the laws and do things that are within their "best interests". The "Good 'Ole Boy Network" is alive and well. And, I think other locals can surely attest to that.

I've never seen a City or Town that was sooooooooo controlled by the Chamber of Commerce! I can list several accounts that would back this up and; if you perform a search yourself, it's not that hard to find.

Sure, tourism has a profound effect on what information is released to the public. And IMOO, that is absolutely absurd.

With concern to releasing the search warrants, IMO, they should have been released back in February when they were first requested! It's in the Constitution! And, the same should apply to the Defense for any information/evidence that may be brought against them in a court of law. These are our rights as American Citizens! Not to be ignored by a local judicial system.

I believe, this is just a typical stall tactic by the Horry County Court system and should be deemed illegal at best.

As another example, MyHorryNews recently requested the initial police report in the April Cline case and has yet to receive it to the best of my knowledge. It's been 2 weeks now since she went missing. Why is releasing the police report taking so long for the public to gain access? Why? Why Horry County?

Still hoping and praying that Heather will be found before the trial starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duly noted.

I interpreted the findings (or lack there of):
1. LE completed a DNA test and could not identify the remains. [Because, DNA did not match any others in CODIS?]​
2. The DNA test did not match Heather's. [You would think that they compared DNA. Did they? There is no direct statement to verify this. So, I may be contradicting my previous post of elation. #1214]​

3. The "experts" determined that the remains are not Heathers since they're older than three months. [Who is the "expert"? University of North Texas?]​

So, with these two methods of verification (the DNA test being the most scientific and proven), why can't the information dispelled be a bit more conclusive and forthcoming? What's with "reasonably confident", "somewhat", "not positively" and "undetermined", etc.?
With no "The DNA does not match Heather", and "assuming" that the remains are more than three months old, therefore must not be Heather, I can't completely close that door until there is more information. After all, one of the quotes from the Hannah Graham case was "Arden said it is highly unusual for a body to become a skeleton in this climate and time frame." http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/19/hannah-graham-remains-found/17587661/ So it does happen. And while Hannah's remains were in the open, who is to say these remains weren't once in the open, then bagged up? So I can only guess that there must be some other evidence to steer them towards the remains having been older than three months at the time they were found.

Sure, I'll go with most likely not, but won't be surprised in the slightest if that changes to "Whoops, we were wrong."

See links:
This was supposed to be John Wayne Gacy victim Michael Marino, but wasn't. Those dental records that prove people are or are not whom someone thinks they are-why doesn't that work in Heather's case? Maybe what happened here happened in reverse. Here, they were 100% sure the dental records showed this was Michael Marino. But DNA says no.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/26/john-wayne-gacy-victim-michael-marino_n_2022515.html
Oops, this one used dental records, too and still screwed up.
http://staugustine.com/stories/012101/sta_0121010041.shtml
This guy's skeleton was misidentified as female originally.
http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/remains-dumped-along-purdy-highway-nearly-20-years/ngTHY/
These were misidentified, but granted they were pretty old.
http://www.galesburg.com/article/20110620/News/306209955

We had a member say a reporter told them or LE, that it was most likely not Haleigh Cummings remains missing from Putnam County, Florida (Satsuma/Palatka area), now we have the experts or reporters interpretations it's not Heather's remains due to longevity/age of exposed remains. Has anyone said it's not one of the two missing children of Yessinia Suarez from Deland? That would only age the remains by a few months though.

It's someone. Someone is waiting and love goes out to them. I don't discount anyone, even an unknown. The Mickey sheets got me though & area. Drove that area on my way to Daytona many times, years ago.

"Based upon what we do know at this point in investigation, we've advised law enforcement authorities in South Carolina that we're reasonably confident that the remains are not those of Heather Elvis," Davidson told WBTW by phone.

I'm sorry but the wording is ridiculous. My fear is that it took them so long to properly investigate the remains that the remains were in much worse condition than when they were first found.

The day they found the remains, the remains could have possibly fit the timing of when Heather disappeared and then deteriorated in either the hot sun. Especially if steps were taken by the perps to advance the process of deteriation by using lyme or some other chemical.

This sort of announcement should have been made much closer to when they found the remains and not just now. By waiting so long, does it mean they just got around to really looking closely at the remains, and if so, then of course they deteriorated much worse than the day they found them.

I too wonder why dental records cant be used. Why are they not more specific about that and why are they not more specific about where they are at with DNA testing results and who they compared them to.

Im going to have to wait until I hear something much more solid than this vague response.

Imagine testifying in a courtroom that the remains are "probably not likely" to be person X. Good Grief.

The Micky Mouse pattern and the curtain descriptions still have me wondering for now.

"Based upon what we do know at this point in investigation, we've advised law enforcement authorities in South Carolina that we're reasonably confident that the remains are not those of Heather Elvis," Davidson told WBTW by phone.

I'm sorry but the wording is ridiculous. My fear is that it took them so long to properly investigate the remains that the remains were in much worse condition than when they were first found.

The day they found the remains, the remains could have possibly fit the timing of when Heather disappeared and then deteriorated in either the hot sun. Especially if steps were taken by the perps to advance the process of deteriation by using lyme or some other chemical.

This sort of announcement should have been made much closer to when they found the remains and not just now. By waiting so long, does it mean they just got around to really looking closely at the remains, and if so, then of course they deteriorated much worse than the day they found them.

I too wonder why dental records cant be used. Why are they not more specific about that and why are they not more specific about where they are at with DNA testing results and who they compared them to.

Im going to have to wait until I hear something much more solid than this vague response.

Imagine testifying in a courtroom that the remains are "probably not likely" to be person X. Good Grief.

The Micky Mouse pattern and the curtain descriptions still have me wondering for now.

Was there no skull to match dentals? No usable DNA? I think to really rule someone in or out it should more than a "we think they were here before HE disappeared"

MOO!!

It makes me so sad knowing this person remains unidentified. A family continues to wonder and not know where there loved one is. :(

Im going to have to wait until I hear something much more solid than this vague response. .

I hate thinking this and saying this but for some reason it keeps coming into my mind. What if there were some sort of MMA fight, like the other girl from the same Tilted Kilt, then dental records wouldn't be of help, sadly.

I remember from the general chat thread that there was a noise complaint regarding people yelling and being loud on the night of Heather's disappearance. From memory, it was at the end of the road the people in jail lived on, memory could be wrong.

No matter what happened may all that contributed to Heather' s death be brought to justice. May Heather lead law enforcement to the truth, all involved and to the recovery of her remains if this is not her.

And if this is not Heather, may the person that belongs to these remains be connected to who they were, their story be remembered and those responsible for their death be found and brought to justice.

I'm sorry, I don't understand the connection between mma (mixed martial arts- I looked it up :D) and dental records.

I'm sorry, I don't understand the connection between mma (mixed martial arts- I looked it up :D) and dental records.

If there was a fight things, sorry it's hard for me not to generalize when talking about this and Heather, could have been broken if the person fighting Heather was a trained fighter. Dental records wouldn't match any longer.

Though I'm really hoping that it is because they haven't tried to match dental records to hold off on public ID so things are easier at trial.

If there was a fight things, sorry it's hard for me not to generalize when talking about this and Heather, could have been broken if the person fighting Heather was a trained fighter. Dental records wouldn't match any longer.

Though I'm really hoping that it is because they haven't tried to match dental records to hold off on public ID so things are easier at trial.

I believe I understand your post but that leads me to a queston: Can coroner tell if teeth are knocked out just prior to death if the remains aren't found until they are completely skeletonized?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Also, all of the teeth could have been removed intentionally.

Nothing to base this on, just thinking of reasons a dental comparison can't be performed.

I believe I understand your post but that leads me to a queston: Can coroner tell if teeth are knocked out just prior to death if the remains aren't found until they are completely skeletonized?

As far as I know, it works like a bone break. When a tooth is removed, the socket where it was heals to an extent, with bone growth and stuff. But healing doesn't occur after death, so if the wound at the socket is still sharp and unhealed, it was either right before or after death. http://www.animated-teeth.com/tooth_extractions/a-tooth-extraction-healing-times.htm

That's my understanding, too.

If the decedent is missing one or two teeth postmortem, and those just happen to be the teeth where HE had identifying features, then they couldn't rule in or out based on dentals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BG89