HCPD contacts Florida LE about skeletal remains that were found

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, with "all parts recovered," why can't they estimate height?

Hi Surfside!! Good question. You would think they could do that.!

As well, it strikes a chord when I read "homemade Mickey Mouse sheet". I know there are a lot of Disney fans in Florida, but how many are murderers as well?

Where is Heather????????

And whose pink bathrobe is it? I suppose Heather's outfit and shoes were destroyed a long time ago, unless she went to PTL in her robe and barefoot, assuming this could be her.

Hey Emma! I know many of us are divided on these remains, but I've just never gotten closure on them. One minute, I just know this is Heather. The next minute, there's no way this can be her. And with the report reading, "Dental information / charting is available and entered," I'm equally confused as to why they can't make a dental match. Does anyone, more experienced in following these types of cases, know why they wouldn't be able to do that? Obviously, if the person had never been to a dentist, that would be a reason, but what other circumstances would stand in the way?

Hey Emma! I know many of us are divided on these remains, but I've just never gotten closure on them. One minute, I just know this is Heather. The next minute, there's no way this can be her. And with the report reading, "Dental information / charting is available and entered," I'm equally confused as to why they can't make a dental match. Does anyone, more experienced in following these types of cases, know why they wouldn't be able to do that? Obviously, if the person had never been to a dentist, that would be a reason, but what other circumstances would stand in the way?

I get what you mean because I go back and forth with it myself. And since I just read the NamUs info on the DeLand remains, it is said that it is a female who happens to be in Heather's age bracket, so that tips it again for me that it may be her.

The one thing that made me think it may be someone other than Heather is I find it hard to believe the Moorers would place her so close to the road, but who knows, maybe they thought it was safe to do so because it was an out of state location.

I understand that the prosecution could win their case without a body, but if Heather was found before trial, it would be easier to get a conviction-not to mention the Elvises could lay their daughter to rest, as she so deserves. That's why I prayed they could identify this person conclusively as Heather Elvis.

At one point, I thought for sure that LE knew the remains were her, but were keeping it secret from the public for their own reasons. I don't think this is the case anymore because its so close to trial and they would have to disclose this to the defense.

I wish we knew what all the circumstantial evidence is. I get worried that prosecution only has what we know, and I don't think it is enough to convict them of murder--possibly kidnapping. To hear that LE thinks that Heather was murdered in that small window of time at PTL may make jurors doubt it could have happened that way. That part of their theory always seemed off to me.

ETA: So hard to wait until May to find out more. It seems as if we've been waiting forever!!

Them not matching dental is one of the big things that keeps me from thinking it's Heather. From her pics, it seems she had well-kept, pretty teeth.

I'm a little torn about it being Heather. One reason being the M's haven't alluded to it at all. When they are concerned about something the can't help themselves, they are vocal about it. I wish it were Heather, simply because she deserves to be found.

I don't believe the remains are that of Heather. But it is truly sad to me that some poor dead woman still lies there, after all this time, unidetified.

I thought they ruled Heather out?

"On Friday, Gary Davidson, a public information officer for the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office, confirmed that officials ruled the remains were not Heather Elvis."

Read more here: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/20...in-florida-not-linked.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

This is why I still haven't closed the door on those remains:
“Yes, we’ve pretty well concluded it’s not her,” Davidson said. “Heather Elvis went missing approximately three months before the remains were found here. The experts who’ve examined the remains are confident that they’re older than three months.”

"Pretty well concluded" is not "ruled out" (such as "the dental records or DNA do not match"). "Confident that they are older than three months" does not mean that they absolutely WERE older than three months (remains can prematurely decompose, such as being exposed to heat or humidity, ). From the site below:
"The formula is y=1285/x (where y is the number of days it takes to become skeletonized or mummified and x is the average temperature in Centigrade during the decomposition process)."

This would mean that if the temp was 15 degrees C (59 degrees F) y=1285/15 or 86 days to become skeletonized (rough estimate based on many factors). So remains can be skeletonized in less than 3 months.

http://www.archeo.uw.edu.pl/zalaczniki/upload617.pdf

Mistakes can and have been made before. Again, if they don't have the results for the remains, they can't share that information with the defense.

“Yes, we’ve pretty well concluded it’s not her,” Davidson said. “Heather Elvis went missing approximately three months before the remains were found here. The experts who’ve examined the remains are confident that they’re older than three months.”

"Pretty well concluded" is not "ruled out" (such as "the dental records or DNA do not match"). "Confident that they are older than three months" does not mean that they absolutely WERE older than three months (remains can prematurely decompose, such as being exposed to heat or humidity, ). From the site below:
"The formula is y=1285/x (where y is the number of days it takes to become skeletonized or mummified and x is the average temperature in Centigrade during the decomposition process)."

This would mean that if the temp was 15 degrees C (59 degrees F) y=1285/15 or 86 days to become skeletonized (rough estimate based on many factors). So remains can be skeletonized in less than 3 months.

Mistakes can and have been made before. Again, if they don't have the results for the remains, they can't share that information with the defense.

I guess if the prosecutor thought there was chance in hades it was her - they would've brought it up at the last bond hearing to keep them in jail. JMO though.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/12776

Clothing and accessories are described below
  • Clothing on body
  • Clothing with body
  • Footwear
  • Jewelry
  • Eyewear
  • Other items found with body: Wrapped in a pink bath robe, curtains, and a home-made mickey mouse print bed sheet.

Does this mean they found clothing; footwear; jewelry and eyewear? I have not seen any description of the clothing/shoes or size information. Also no description of eyewear and jewelry. We had pictures and description of jewelry and clothing with the Tidewater remains within two weeks.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...thew-Mino-Dec-13/page3&highlight=myrtle+beach
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...d-Matthew-Mino-Dec-13&p=10120061#post10120061
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...d-Matthew-Mino-Dec-13&p=10120068#post10120068

Whoever this is, it doesn't seem like the most basic steps are being made to help the public identify her. Very curious.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/12776

Clothing and accessories are described below
  • Clothing on body
  • Clothing with body
  • Footwear
  • Jewelry
  • Eyewear
  • Other items found with body: Wrapped in a pink bath robe, curtains, and a home-made mickey mouse print bed sheet.

Does this mean they found clothing; footwear; jewelry and eyewear? I have not seen any description of the clothing/shoes or size information. Also no description of eyewear and jewelry. We had pictures and description of jewelry and clothing with the Tidewater remains within two weeks.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...thew-Mino-Dec-13/page3&highlight=myrtle+beach
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...d-Matthew-Mino-Dec-13&p=10120061#post10120061
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...d-Matthew-Mino-Dec-13&p=10120068#post10120068

Whoever this is, it doesn't seem like the most basic steps are being made to help the public identify her. Very curious.

Those are categories that have been left blank. It appears all they have is skeletal remains wrapped in the items described.

I thought they ruled Heather out?

"On Friday, Gary Davidson, a public information officer for the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office, confirmed that officials ruled the remains were not Heather Elvis."

Read more here: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/20...in-florida-not-linked.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

See? This is what gives me the crazies. I fully agreed with hoppy and thought, "oh yeah, duh. This CAN'T be Heather." Then I fully agreed with Ghostwheel and wondered, "why the vague, noncommittal language? Something's fishy here. This is probably Heather."

Back and forth and back and forth and back and forth. :tantrum: I wish people would just say what they mean and mean what they say. Grrrrr.

Those are categories that have been left blank. It appears all they have is skeletal remains wrapped in the items described.

Thanks. I don't know what I was thinking. :crosseyed: So no shoes, slippers, undergarments, etc. Just a body wrapped in bathrobe & sheets. I still don't understand why there is no picture of robe or sheets attached. The pattern on the sheets could trigger someone's memory.

Whoever made those sheets would surely recognize them, which is why it is so curious that photos of the sheet have not been released for the public to see. And we never got ANY description about the curtain(s) this poor soul was wrapped in as well.

Maybe the person who made them is scared to death to say so. It's possible she sold them to a murderer.

Remembering back to Tammy's DISboard posts, she claimed to order home made Disney bedding from some lady. If we know this, LE surely does as well and have probably tracked this woman down already. So if they got a confirmation from her that she made this particular sheet for Tammy, that would be good evidence to have and LE Would have no need to circulate photos of the items the remains were wrapped in.

I think they are possibly conducting more sophisticated testing of the DNA on the bones, sheet, bathrobe and curtains but have not gotten results back so far. Maybe at the time LE announced they didn't think the remains were Heather, they honestly didn't know for sure because the tests may have been too inconclusive to say for certain. One thing for sure is they don't know who these remains belong to yet.

Thanks. I don't know what I was thinking. :crosseyed: So no shoes, slippers, undergarments, etc. Just a body wrapped in bathrobe & sheets. I still don't understand why there is no picture of robe or sheets attached. The pattern on the sheets could trigger someone's memory.

I think these cases become very frustrating and there is such a parade of info, it's easy to get a bit lost in the maze!

As for the lack of a picture, it's so hard to know if the investigation into this victim's death has fallen by the wayside, or we're just simply not seeing into the activities of investigative efforts. My hope for the sake of the deceased is that there is more going on than meets the eye, and that the lack of images of what was found is a product of protecting the investigation, not abandoning it.

See? This is what gives me the crazies. I fully agreed with hoppy and thought, "oh yeah, duh. This CAN'T be Heather." Then I fully agreed with Ghostwheel and wondered, "why the vague, noncommittal language? Something's fishy here. This is probably Heather."

Back and forth and back and forth and back and forth. :tantrum: I wish people would just say what they mean and mean what they say. Grrrrr.

Ever since LE said that 6:00 a.m. was a "roundabout" time and they really meant 3:41 a.m., I've decided that anything they say can mean anything, at any time. :gaah:

Ever since LE said that 6:00 a.m. was a "roundabout" time and they really meant 3:41 a.m., I've decided that anything they say can mean anything, at any time. :gaah:
Not helping! ;)

I guess if the prosecutor thought there was chance in hades it was her - they would've brought it up at the last bond hearing to keep them in jail. JMO though.

why would that have kept them in jail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member