HCPD contacts Florida LE about skeletal remains that were found

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
AT WRAL NOW:

Cops: Remains may be those of missing UVA student

LIVE PRESS CONFERENCE.....I will post the link.

I think the Florida authorities would say if they knew the ID of the remains. They are not bound by the South Carolina Court's gag order. If it is Heather, the Defense Counsel would have the right to all the specifics of the findings (cause of death, any pertinent information). Failure of the State to disclose this information to the Defense could cause a mistrial. I believe they really don't know are at a minimum aren't sure of the results. If it is Heather, it will be disclosed prior to trial. Hopefully, the North Texas authorities can resolve the matter.

Read this article Florida LE states the results are public knowledge unless part of a criminal investigation. I've read this several times and IMO it's telling us it's HE without saying those exact words....
http://m.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_5dfdaea6-2a12-11e4-93d5-0017a43b2370.html?mode=jqm

Read this article Florida LE states the results are public knowledge unless part of a criminal investigation. I've read this several times and IMO it's telling us it's HE without saying those exact words....
http://m.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_5dfdaea6-2a12-11e4-93d5-0017a43b2370.html?mode=jqm

BBM You may be correct. I didn't give it much of a chance initially until it was revealed that the body was wrapped in Mickey Mouse custom made sheets.

Still, if it is Heather, it will have to be shared with the TM & SM's defense attorneys. There could possibly be some type of evidence that could favor their clients. I hope the conclusive results will be determined and made public prior to the trials.

I have never heard of not ID-ing a body because of an upcoming criminal case due to a gag order. Seriously?! What possible cause would they have to withhold the information from the public and family?! Ridiculous to even think they would put a grieving family through such a thing! Prosecutors and defense lawyers are not monsters and they would not prevent the family from burying their darling daughter for the sake of any case.

Thank you! I don't know why this assumption continues to persist. It's a strange one.

I found the news interesting this morning. The center for missing persons will be here in North Myrtle Beach on their 'tour' -- and will be featuring Sack M and Brittanee D -- no mention of Heather. Now - I get that there are two people in jail charged with Murder - but without finding her - does she get removed from the CMP's missing persons list? I'm not sure how that works - but did find it odd there was no mention of her.

Where is this news article?

On The Center for Missing Children website, I don't even see Zack or Heather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I found the local news article now and it does mention Zack and Heather.

Families, friends of missing people, including Heather Elvis and Brittanee Drexel, attend ‘On the Road to Remember’ CUE event in North Myrtle Beach

But, the Press Release from CUE Center For Missing Persons about the tour stop in North Myrtle Beach does not mention Heather.

National Tour Visits South Carolina to Revive Missing Persons Cases

Also, when @Hoppy said, The center for missing persons will be here, I was thinking the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children. Not CUE.

Still cannot find Zack, Heather, or Crystal Gail Soles on the NCMEC website: Records Found: 39 South Carolina. :maddening:

Families, friends of missing people, including Heather Elvis and Brittanee Drexel, attend ‘On the Road to Remember’ CUE event in North Myrtle Beach

But, the Press Release from CUE Center For Missing Persons about the tour stop in North Myrtle Beach does not mention Heather.

Also, when @Hoppy said, The center for missing persons will be here, I was thinking the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children. Not CUE.

Still cannot find Zack, Heather, or Crystal Gail Soles on the NCMEC website: Records Found: 39 South Carolina. :maddening:

NCMEC is for missing children. Everyone listed on NCMEC went missing when they were children though. I thought the guidelines were either 18 & under or under 18, I forget. Heather went missing as an adult so maybe she won't be listed there. Do you know the guidelines, I don't at all...so good time to learn.

I'm unfamiliar with the other cases. What are their ages?

I'm on there trying to find out now... Everything looks like 18 & under but sometimes 19 if the missing person only recently turned 19, or if the missing person is 19 but a senior in high school or something. I'm trying to find the age guidelines. http://www.missingkids.com/NCMEC

Ok, I did a site search on NCMEC for age guidelines and the answers that came back are all 18 and under. I want to note that I've definitely seen 19 year olds reported on there but it's noticeable that they either recently turned 19 or else they're still in high school (re 19 when they went missing). I'm thinking the 19 y/o thing could be due to newer laws in some states that disallow 19 y/o's from quitting school without their parents' permission, therefore they're still treated as a minor even though in other situations they'd be deemed an adult.

Ok, think the answer is the age. Zachary Matthew Malinowski was 19 and studied at Horry-Georgetown Technical College according to his FB.

I'll look up Sholes now... ETA - Crystal Gail Soles was 28 when she went missing.

I have never heard of not ID-ing a body because of an upcoming criminal case due to a gag order. Seriously?! What possible cause would they have to withhold the information from the public and family?! Ridiculous to even think they would put a grieving family through such a thing! Prosecutors and defense lawyers are not monsters and they would not prevent the family from burying their darling daughter for the sake of any case.

O/T ~ Happy to see you SS. :blowkiss:

Interesting to me that so many are convinced the remains are Heather's and others the opposite. I'm not sure either way. Maybe we can add a poll? I'm traveling home via 95 north (ugh) from SC and I haven't made a poll in a while but I think it would be interesting.

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070713/A_NEWS/707130323

Citing a judge's gag order, investigators Thursday would not release the identity of human remains found this week in Amador County, but the sister of Ripon's Mary Morino Starkey, who vanished in June 2005, said the find raised her hopes.
"I have to be patient and wait," said Loretta Morino, who is resigned to the possibility that her sister is dead.

Investigators planned to release the identity Thursday, but instead, spokesman Sgt. Chris Stevens said he learned of a gag order issued by San Joaquin County Superior Court Judge Bernard Garber that prevents him from talking about the case.
Well...I can no longer say I haven't heard of this before, but it is extremely rare.

It is wrong for any Judge to do when a family is waiting for news of a loved one, imo. No compassion at all.

Well...I can no longer say I haven't heard of this before, but it is extremely rare.

It is wrong for any Judge to do when a family is waiting for news of a loved one, imo. No compassion at all.

Maybe they really don't know the ID of the Florida remains yet but knowing that they can and have kept the ID of other remains from being released until whenever makes me wonder if this could be Heather. I do agree with you though. I think it's wrong to make any family wait and wonder.

Good to see you again SS. Makes you wonder if Heather Elvis' parents were told but were willing to agree to the gag order to help the prosecutor's case. Just for thought.

Interesting to me that so many are convinced the remains are Heather's and others the opposite. I'm not sure either way. Maybe we can add a poll? I'm traveling home via 95 north (ugh) from SC and I haven't made a poll in a while but I think it would be interesting.
Make sure you add a choice of "Maybe/Maybe not". :). Some of us don't think it IS Heather, only that it COULD be since she has not been ruled out. From past experience, LE from all counties would honor Horry County's gag order if there was any chance that something they have discovered would affect an ongoing investigation. Until they could be sure it wouldn't affect anything. JMO.

So many circumstances in this case are mind boggling, HE not ruled out as findings in remains found, prosecutors requesting hearing for "Sealed" documents,defense trying to speed up trial.... I dont even know what to think at this point... Just reminding myself that they must have good reason and praying that the prosecutor knows exactly what shes doing , i guess in due time we will all have answers to our questions... I hope!

BBM: I understand what you are saying. I will say, however, that if it were my daughter, and I wanted to be sure that whomever disappeared her (and possibly murdered her) paid for what they did, I'd tolerate ANYTHING to make sure the guilty party(s) were convicted. And that includes wondering if some remains that were found belonged to my loved one. That's a doable for justice, at least for me.

I just hope the remains are identified at some point, for whomever out there cared for her and wonder where she is.

Anyone here wonder if TM is going to try to claim that she had nothing to do with those remains, should they turn out to be Heather? Speedy trial to push SM under the bus? Really, I need a spread sheet for my various theories....

I've been thinking about which would be worse. Having your child's remains but not knowing who killed them, not having their remains but knowing the guilty party(s) have been caught or never knowing what happened to your child or who is responsible? I decided that all are beyond anything that I could survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member