Head injury vs. strangulation ***WARNING! AUTOPSY PHOTOS!***

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Oct 01, 2002

Nearly all of the medical experts who have seen the autopsy report agree that this was not an accidental death. JonBenet Ramsey was deliberately and cruelly murdered.

JonBenet was strangled, not once, says Smit, but twice, with an intricately-made device known as a garrote, which had to have been made by the killer during the murder. Why? Because the garrote had hair intertwined with it – JonBenet's hair.

"It's a device, says Smit, that was not left there for show. Whoever killed JonBenet used the garrote to strangle her.

Smit believes that JonBenet was fighting for her life. There were marks that look a lot like scratches on her neck. "JonBenet was trying to take that off of her neck," says Smit. "She did have her own DNA under her fingernails. She was struggling with that garrote. Whoever was there with her knew that she was struggling. This is a very vicious strangulation."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/searching-the-detective/
DeDee, I'm not sure why you chose to post this quote from an article that was printed as a report on a 48 Hours episode. That report and TV show is 12 years old. It is wrong on so many levels, I don't know where to begin. So rather than wasting everyone's time trying to address every single point you quoted, would you mind telling us why you chose to repeat this old, useless, and incorrect information?

:facepalm: Oh, I understand now, DeDee. You were just trying to rouse me.:hiding:

First you give us some delusional quotes from Smit :pullhair:, and then you post an entire article on that idiot Spitz. Nevermind. I'll just go back to sleep. :sleep:

[[[ BTW, Smit and Spitz... both rhyme with .... what their opinions ain't worth (JMHO). ]]]

~RBBM~

Meyer reported "abrasions" in the area around the ligature, in addition to petechiae. He doesn't attribute them to "fingernail gouges," so I do have doubts about the claim of gouges. ST in IRMI: The experts noted no blood or skin tissue beneath the fingernails, as they often see when a victim has fought an attacker. However, DNA can be deposited by someone merely dragging their nails across their own cheek. moo
You're right. In the autopsy report, Dr. Meyer did not attribute the abrasions he observed above & below the ligature, to "fingernail gouges", but an AR doesn't typically contain conjecture. Meyer has not publicly disclosed his opinion on this matter, nor has he shared his opinion on most (all) of the oft debated elements of the AR.

We have no way of determining, with certainty, the cause of the abrasions, but I have yet to come across a consulted expert's analysis of these abrasions that is in disagreeance with the shared opinion of ME's from "both sides"; Spitz, Wecht, and Doberson.

DeDee, I'm not sure why you chose to post this quote from an article that was printed as a report on a 48 Hours episode. That report and TV show is 12 years old. It is wrong on so many levels, I don't know where to begin. So rather than wasting everyone's time trying to address every single point you quoted, would you mind telling us why you chose to repeat this old, useless, and incorrect information?

1. To establish where the ludicrous idea of a "gentle" strangulation originated.

2. JBR was strangled twice.

3. JBR cannot be ruled out as a contributor to the DNA found under her nails. The half moon abrasions on the child's neck above the ligature resemble fingernail markings to me. JMO

4. Lou Smit was often incorrect. Whether it was intentional or not, I cannot say with certainty.

Happenings of December 26 Thread Post #1041 re: DNA

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...enings-of-December-26&p=10374976#post10374976

My apologies, otg, as I was unaware that only recent information should be considered.

moo

:facepalm: Oh, I understand now, DeDee. You were just trying to rouse me.:hiding:

First you give us some delusional quotes from Smit :pullhair:, and then you post an entire article on that idiot Spitz. Nevermind. I'll just go back to sleep. :sleep:

[[[ BTW, Smit and Spitz... both rhyme with .... what their opinions ain't worth (JMHO). ]]]
Of all the MEs who have been consulted in this case, with whom do you find your theories/opinions to be in agreeance?

~RBBM~

Meyer reported "abrasions" in the area around the ligature, in addition to petechiae. He doesn't attribute them to "fingernail gouges," so I do have doubts about the claim of gouges. ST in IRMI: The experts noted no blood or skin tissue beneath the fingernails, as they often see when a victim has fought an attacker. However, DNA can be deposited by someone merely dragging their nails across their own cheek. moo

Spitz never saw the body itself. Meyer never noted "fingernail gouges". He noted those marks as petechiae, very commonly seen above and below a ligature in a strangulation.

Spitz never saw the body itself. Meyer never noted "fingernail gouges". He noted those marks as petechiae, very commonly seen above and below a ligature in a strangulation.
Meyer also made note of abrasions "present in the midline, right, and left areas of the anterior neck," both, "above and below the ligature furrow"; from the AR:

"B. Abrasions and petechial hemorrhages, neck.

The skin of the anterior neck above and below the ligature furrow contains areas of petechial hemorrhage and abrasion encompassing an area measuring approximately 3 x 2 inches.

The remainder of the abrasions and petechial hemorrhages of the skin above and below the anterior projection of the ligature furrow are nonpatterned, purple to rust colored, and present in the midline, right, and left areas of the anterior neck.

Located on the right side of the chin is a three-sixteenths by one-eight of an inch area of superficial abrasion."

Meyer also made note of abrasions "present in the midline, right, and left areas of the anterior neck," both, "above and below the ligature furrow"; from the AR:

"B. Abrasions and petechial hemorrhages, neck.

The skin of the anterior neck above and below the ligature furrow contains areas of petechial hemorrhage and abrasion encompassing an area measuring approximately 3 x 2 inches.

The remainder of the abrasions and petechial hemorrhages of the skin above and below the anterior projection of the ligature furrow are nonpatterned, purple to rust colored, and present in the midline, right, and left areas of the anterior neck.

Located on the right side of the chin is a three-sixteenths by one-eight of an inch area of superficial abrasion."

Mama2JML,
Yes, excellent attention to detail. Lost on many and ignored by more since it does not fit into their favorite theory. As many know I suscribe to the JonBenet was strangled twice theory since explains away the evidence. No other theory manages this, they all discount or ignore the staging for what it is.

From the AR:
"Brain: Sections of the areas of contusion disclose disrupted blood vessels of the cortex with surrounding hemorrhage. There is no evidence of inflammatory infiltrate or organization of the hemorrhage. Subarachnoid hemorrhage is also identified. Cortical neurons are surrounded by clear halos, as are glial cells."

If the head blow was inflicted prior to (45 minutes-2 hours, according to Kolar?) strangulation, then why was there "no evidence of inflammatory infiltrate or organization of the hemorrhage."? :waitasec:
I’ve been meaning for a long time to tackle the subject of Dr. Rorke’s estimate, but just hadn’t found (or taken) the time. Mama, your question points out one more reason to doubt the time estimate that has gained so much general acceptance since it was reported by Kolar. TMK, until he wrote about the time estimate given by Dr. Lucy Rorke (-Adams), most other pathologists had all placed a much smaller time frame between the two. In fact, there was even disagreement between some as to which of the two insults came first. Those “experts” who thought the strangulation came before the head blow (most prominent among them was Dr. Wecht) usually cited the “small amount of brain swelling” or the lack of more bleeding as the basis for their opinion. So the question should be (IMO) why put so much credence in this one expert’s opinion over all others. After all, hers is very different from most of the other opinions. And if it is correct, it completely changes the circumstances that must have happened in order for there to be that long of an interval between the head blow and the strangulation.

I struggled with this “revelation” for a long time trying to reconcile the implications. Finally, after looking into the variables that should be considered, I found enough reason to justify questioning its validity. I might be accused of trying to fit the evidence to my theory of what happened. That’s a fair enough accusation, but in this case that “evidence” is only the opinion of one person. The real reason for questioning this is because it is so contrary to everything else that we know (including the opinions of nearly all other experts who have checked in on the subject), and because (like the pineapple) it is so critical to determining the sequence of events that led to JonBenet’s death.

Something important to consider in trying to decide which expert’s opinion might be more accurate than another’s is what information he/she had available to them at the time. At a minimum, the expert might have had only the AR on which to base an opinion. (There are some opinions which are still even today circulated that were based on the partial AR that was released before a judge ordered it released in full.) The most information a person could have would be to actually see the evidence firsthand and to have access to the results of any further testing that might be done (chemical, biological, microscopic, etc.). TMK, Dr. Meyer is the only pathologist who had all that. But he is not a neurological pathologist, and his conclusions and opinions have never been made public. Somewhere between those minimum and maximum amounts of information are a few “experts” like Dr. Rorke who (according to my information) was given access to lab reports, copies of microscopic slides, and even a section of the brain taken and preserved by someone in the ME’s office (more on that in another post). Additionally, Rorke is a neuropathologist -- an expert on brain pathology. Her credentials in this field are unquestioned. But her specialty is limited to this area and her knowledge in other areas important to consider might be limited.

Let’s look first at what Meyer said in the AR about the amount of swelling in the brain. I’ll try to give as much information as I have on this one part of the time estimate, and then I’ll write about necrosis -- the other factor reportedly looked at by Dr. Rorke in trying to estimate this time frame. The AR is supposed to be an objective account of what is seen by the medical examiner. But a noted observation can be misleadingly assumed to be an impartial conclusion. For instance, Meyer noted the following information:

The 1450 gm brain has a normal overall architecture. Mild narrowing of the sulci and flattening of the gyri are seen. No inflammation is identified.

A “normal overall architecture” is a subjective description. So too is “mild narrowing”. But they’re important in knowing that Meyer made a general observation that there was not very much swelling of the brain. But in that same passage he notes that the brain weighed 1450 gm. For comparison on brain weights from another post (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ll-Fractures-The-Weapon&p=9054790#post9054790):

Weight of the Human Brain:
The average normal mass of an adult male human brain is approximately 1300 to 1400 grams (2.87 to 3.1 pounds).
The average Male's brain weighs 1360 grams (3 pounds)
The average Female's brain weighs 1250 grams (2.8 pounds)
A newborn human brain is about 350 to 400 grams (0.77 to 0.88 pounds).
A human’s brain grows quickly in the first years and reaches its full size by around the age of six.

The brain weights of some well known people:
The brain of Albert Einstein weighed a mere 1230 grams (2.71 pounds)
The brain of the German mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss weighed 1492 grams (3.29 pounds)
The brain of the leading poet of the Russian Revolution Vladimir Vladimirovich Mayakovsky weighed a whopping 1700 grams (3.75 pounds)

Here are two charts showing average brain weights by age (one is by weight alone, while the other shows it as a ratio to body weight). I’ve added a green line showing where a 6 yo female should be on the scale and a red line to indicate JonBenet’s brain weight as measured during autopsy:

Brain Weight (showing amount of edema).JPG

Depending on the way it is compared, JonBenet’s brain at death weighed from 15 to 25 % more than normal for her age -- hardly what most people would call mild swelling of the brain, and an objective measurement of the extent of edema.

Here is an illustration showing several of the different signs of swelling in a brain (because of copyrights, I should mention it was taken from Knight’s Forensic Pathology by Pekka J. Saukko and Bernard Knight):

zwhxsk.jpg

Something important the AR does not tell us is whether the swelling is local, diffuse half-brain, or diffuse whole-brain. This combined with an objective measurement of the extent of edema would be an indication of how long the edema had been allowed to progress throughout the brain after the initial injury.

But what causes cerebral edema? It’s not simply blood engorgement alone as some might think. Excess blood is only one component of the edema. Most of the swelling occurs from fluid buildup intracellularly as well as extracellularly (inside cells and in the spaces between the cells). One way this fluid can be seen microscopically is in the spaces surrounding and within the brain cells (both neuronal and neuroglial). This is possibly the reason for Meyer’s notation about the “clear halos” seen surrounding these cells (although there can be other reasons for this phenomenon). Additionally, as the swelling increases, it constricts the brain vasculature, slowing and then potentially shutting off blood flow from the brain. As the constricted blood continues building up in the brain, it and the other fluids become “self-potentiating” in that their excess continues to contribute to more swelling. The ICP (intracranial pressure) exponentially rises -- perpetuating itself and causing additional bleeding within the skull from any ruptured or open blood vessels.

Swelling on any external surface of the body (an injured ankle, wrist, etc.) is not limited as it is within the skull where there is little room to allow expansion of the brain other than through the foramen magnum at the base of the skull. That’s why, as a brain swells, it begins altering the appearance of the outside ridges of the brain -- the gyri and sulci. When there is no room left within this small space, the brain begins pressing at the base of the skull through the only opening -- the foramen magnum in the posterior cranial fossa. This is the opening through which the brain stem goes between the brain and the spinal column. When this stage of edema is reached, the tonsils of the cerebellum are impacted to the point that they become cone-shaped going into the foramen magnum. I’ve read about this effect, and I’ve seen pictures of normal versus impacted brains. The difference is very subtle and usually hard to notice without careful study. Unless a medical examiner is actually looking for this herniation because of other signs of edema, it might easily go unnoticed. Discoloration of the coned area is another sign, as well as necrosis of the impacted brain tissue.

It’s important to note here that in children, cerebral edema is more likely, more pronounced, and more quickly occurring than in an adult with the same injury. Also, edema in the brain can be caused from (or worsened by) hypoxia (ischemic hypoxia can be caused by strangulation). IOW, (and this is very important) strangulation increases brain swelling beyond what would be expected simply from a TBI (traumatic brain injury) alone.

Most of all this information I’ve written about here is not information we have available to us about the conditions of JonBenet’s brain. We know simply what little was written in the AR. It is therefore difficult trying to second-guess the opinion of a pathologist who has seen evidence we haven’t; and I don’t doubt that Dr. Rorke is as qualified as any other neuropathologist to estimate the length of time between a head injury and the death of a victim. But even with all the knowledge she or anyone else might have, there are limits to how accurate any estimate can be. I’ve written here about just some of the variables that can affect an estimate. Did she take into account the fact that a child’s cerebral edema develops much faster than an adult’s? Did she consider only how long it would take for the brain injury to develop separately to the point it did before the cord was wrapped around her neck ending her life? Or did she even consider the effect that strangulation would have on brain swelling if it was being applied at the same time as the blunt force trauma? I don’t doubt her expertise in the field of brain trauma, but how much does she know about the effects of strangulation? What were the assumptions she made (and she had to make assumptions) when arriving at her estimate? All we know is that resulting 45 to 120 minute timeframe she gave authorities. In one interview, Kolar mentions that she had also considered the digested pineapple in arriving at her opinion -- in addition to the cerebral edema and the necrosis of brain tissue.

But back to the original question: “If the head blow was inflicted prior to (45 minutes-2 hours, according to Kolar?) strangulation, then why was there ‘no evidence of inflammatory infiltrate or organization of the hemorrhage’?” Perhaps the simple answer to that question is that the supposition of 45 minutes to 2 hours is incorrect. In my opinion those things should have manifest themselves within a much shorter timeframe. Between the three conflicting injury responses (edema, inflammatory infiltrate, and organization of the hemorrhage), I believe the edema to be the least accurate measurement because of all the variables affecting it. But there are also other problems with that longer timeframe that I’ll try to address in another post.

Some of this information comes from another post I wrote at FFJ which has additional information on causes and types of cerebral edema. That post is here:
http://www.forumsforjustice.org/for...kull-Fractures-The-Weapon&p=194988#post194988

Another post that addresses blood flow to the brain and some of the statements by Dr. Wecht:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?7469-John-Ramsey-s-Role/page8&p=9570391#post9570391

1. To establish where the ludicrous idea of a "gentle" strangulation originated.

3. JBR cannot be ruled out as a contributor to the DNA found under her nails. The half moon abrasions on the child's neck above the ligature resemble fingernail markings to me. JMO

4. Lou Smit was often incorrect. Whether it was intentional or not, I cannot say with certainty.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...enings-of-December-26&p=10374976#post10374976

My apologies, otg, as I was unaware that only recent information should be considered.

moo
No need for an apology, DD. It is I who should apologize if my question came across as cross or grouchy (too bad you couldn't have seen my puzzled face instead of imagining my grouchy face -- I should've added an emoticon). I had started to answer some of the points you had in your post thinking it was your opinions you were stating. Then I realized that the entire thing was simply a reprint of a portion of your referenced article without a comment that you agreed or disagreed with any of it. So then I didn't understand your reason for posting it. Then while I was responding, you posted the article about Spitz (who, I'm sorry, but I have no respect for) -- again with no personal comment about your opinion. I was just puzzled why you were posting this stuff. Do you agree with it, disagree with it, feel there was an important point made in it? You don't have to do things to please me or fall in line with my way of thinking. It's just that no one can really discuss it unless you tell us what you are thinking. (Please.)

I’ve been meaning for a long time to tackle the subject of Dr. Rorke’s estimate, but just hadn’t found (or taken) the time. Mama, your question points out one more reason to doubt the time estimate that has gained so much general acceptance since it was reported by Kolar. TMK, until he wrote about the time estimate given by Dr. Lucy Rorke (-Adams), most other pathologists had all placed a much smaller time frame between the two. In fact, there was even disagreement between some as to which of the two insults came first. Those “experts” who thought the strangulation came before the head blow (most prominent among them was Dr. Wecht) usually cited the “small amount of brain swelling” or the lack of more bleeding as the basis for their opinion. So the question should be (IMO) why put so much credence in this one expert’s opinion over all others. After all, hers is very different from most of the other opinions. And if it is correct, it completely changes the circumstances that must have happened in order for there to be that long of an interval between the head blow and the strangulation.

I struggled with this “revelation” for a long time trying to reconcile the implications. Finally, after looking into the variables that should be considered, I found enough reason to justify questioning its validity. I might be accused of trying to fit the evidence to my theory of what happened. That’s a fair enough accusation, but in this case that “evidence” is only the opinion of one person. The real reason for questioning this is because it is so contrary to everything else that we know (including the opinions of nearly all other experts who have checked in on the subject), and because (like the pineapple) it is so critical to determining the sequence of events that led to JonBenet’s death.

Something important to consider in trying to decide which expert’s opinion might be more accurate than another’s is what information he/she had available to them at the time. At a minimum, the expert might have had only the AR on which to base an opinion. (There are some opinions which are still even today circulated that were based on the partial AR that was released before a judge ordered it released in full.) The most information a person could have would be to actually see the evidence firsthand and to have access to the results of any further testing that might be done (chemical, biological, microscopic, etc.). TMK, Dr. Meyer is the only pathologist who had all that. But he is not a neurological pathologist, and his conclusions and opinions have never been made public. Somewhere between those minimum and maximum amounts of information are a few “experts” like Dr. Rorke who (according to my information) was given access to lab reports, copies of microscopic slides, and even a section of the brain taken and preserved by someone in the ME’s office (more on that in another post). Additionally, Rorke is a neuropathologist -- an expert on brain pathology. Her credentials in this field are unquestioned. But her specialty is limited to this area and her knowledge in other areas important to consider might be limited.

Let’s look first at what Meyer said in the AR about the amount of swelling in the brain. I’ll try to give as much information as I have on this one part of the time estimate, and then I’ll write about necrosis -- the other factor reportedly looked at by Dr. Rorke in trying to estimate this time frame. The AR is supposed to be an objective account of what is seen by the medical examiner. But a noted observation can be misleadingly assumed to be an impartial conclusion. For instance, Meyer noted the following information:

The 1450 gm brain has a normal overall architecture. Mild narrowing of the sulci and flattening of the gyri are seen. No inflammation is identified.

A “normal overall architecture” is a subjective description. So too is “mild narrowing”. But they’re important in knowing that Meyer made a general observation that there was not very much swelling of the brain. But in that same passage he notes that the brain weighed 1450 gm. For comparison on brain weights from another post (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ll-Fractures-The-Weapon&p=9054790#post9054790):

The average normal mass of an adult male human brain is approximately 1300 to 1400 grams (2.87 to 3.1 pounds).
A human’s brain grows quickly in the first years and reaches its full size by around the age of six.

The brain of the German mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss weighed 1492 grams (3.29 pounds)
The brain of the leading poet of the Russian Revolution Vladimir Vladimirovich Mayakovsky weighed a whopping 1700 grams (3.75 pounds)

Here are two charts showing average brain weights by age (one is by weight alone, while the other shows it as a ratio to body weight). I’ve added a green line showing where a 6 yo female should be on the scale and a red line to indicate JonBenet’s brain weight as measured during autopsy:

View attachment 58346

Depending on the way it is compared, JonBenet’s brain at death weighed from 15 to 25 % more than normal for her age -- hardly what most people would call mild swelling of the brain, and an objective measurement of the extent of edema.

Here is an illustration showing several of the different signs of swelling in a brain (because of copyrights, I should mention it was taken from Knight’s Forensic Pathology by Pekka J. Saukko and Bernard Knight):

View attachment 58347

Something important the AR does not tell us is whether the swelling is local, diffuse half-brain, or diffuse whole-brain. This combined with an objective measurement of the extent of edema would be an indication of how long the edema had been allowed to progress throughout the brain after the initial injury.

But what causes cerebral edema? It’s not simply blood engorgement alone as some might think. Excess blood is only one component of the edema. Most of the swelling occurs from fluid buildup intracellularly as well as extracellularly (inside cells and in the spaces between the cells). One way this fluid can be seen microscopically is in the spaces surrounding and within the brain cells (both neuronal and neuroglial). This is possibly the reason for Meyer’s notation about the “clear halos” seen surrounding these cells (although there can be other reasons for this phenomenon). Additionally, as the swelling increases, it constricts the brain vasculature, slowing and then potentially shutting off blood flow from the brain. As the constricted blood continues building up in the brain, it and the other fluids become “self-potentiating” in that their excess continues to contribute to more swelling. The ICP (intracranial pressure) exponentially rises -- perpetuating itself and causing additional bleeding within the skull from any ruptured or open blood vessels.

Swelling on any external surface of the body (an injured ankle, wrist, etc.) is not limited as it is within the skull where there is little room to allow expansion of the brain other than through the foramen magnum at the base of the skull. That’s why, as a brain swells, it begins altering the appearance of the outside ridges of the brain -- the gyri and sulci. When there is no room left within this small space, the brain begins pressing at the base of the skull through the only opening -- the foramen magnum in the posterior cranial fossa. This is the opening through which the brain stem goes between the brain and the spinal column. When this stage of edema is reached, the tonsils of the cerebellum are impacted to the point that they become cone-shaped going into the foramen magnum. I’ve read about this effect, and I’ve seen pictures of normal versus impacted brains. The difference is very subtle and usually hard to notice without careful study. Unless a medical examiner is actually looking for this herniation because of other signs of edema, it might easily go unnoticed. Discoloration of the coned area is another sign, as well as necrosis of the impacted brain tissue.

It’s important to note here that in children, cerebral edema is more likely, more pronounced, and more quickly occurring than in an adult with the same injury. Also, edema in the brain can be caused from (or worsened by) hypoxia (ischemic hypoxia can be caused by strangulation). IOW, (and this is very important) strangulation increases brain swelling beyond what would be expected simply from a TBI (traumatic brain injury) alone.

Most of all this information I’ve written about here is not information we have available to us about the conditions of JonBenet’s brain. We know simply what little was written in the AR. It is therefore difficult trying to second-guess the opinion of a pathologist who has seen evidence we haven’t; and I don’t doubt that Dr. Rorke is as qualified as any other neuropathologist to estimate the length of time between a head injury and the death of a victim. But even with all the knowledge she or anyone else might have, there are limits to how accurate any estimate can be. I’ve written here about just some of the variables that can affect an estimate. Did she take into account the fact that a child’s cerebral edema develops much faster than an adult’s? Did she consider only how long it would take for the brain injury to develop separately to the point it did before the cord was wrapped around her neck ending her life? Or did she even consider the effect that strangulation would have on brain swelling if it was being applied at the same time as the blunt force trauma? I don’t doubt her expertise in the field of brain trauma, but how much does she know about the effects of strangulation? What were the assumptions she made (and she had to make assumptions) when arriving at her estimate? All we know is that resulting 45 to 120 minute timeframe she gave authorities. In one interview, Kolar mentions that she had also considered the digested pineapple in arriving at her opinion -- in addition to the cerebral edema and the necrosis of brain tissue.

But back to the original question: “If the head blow was inflicted prior to (45 minutes-2 hours, according to Kolar?) strangulation, then why was there ‘no evidence of inflammatory infiltrate or organization of the hemorrhage’?” Perhaps the simple answer to that question is that the supposition of 45 minutes to 2 hours is incorrect. In my opinion those things should have manifest themselves within a much shorter timeframe. Between the three conflicting injury responses (edema, inflammatory infiltrate, and organization of the hemorrhage), I believe the edema to be the least accurate measurement because of all the variables affecting it. But there are also other problems with that longer timeframe that I’ll try to address in another post.

Some of this information comes from another post I wrote at FFJ which has additional information on causes and types of cerebral edema. That post is here:
http://www.forumsforjustice.org/for...kull-Fractures-The-Weapon&p=194988#post194988

Another post that addresses blood flow to the brain and some of the statements by Dr. Wecht:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?7469-John-Ramsey-s-Role/page8&p=9570391#post9570391

otg,
Interesting reading, but without more detail on the extent of the blood distribution and any variation in the brain's geography, second guessing Dr. Rorke’s estimate it just not possible.

I tend to go with Wecht's opinion and accept the small amount of blood suggests JonBenet was asphyxiated shortly after being whacked on the head, more a matter of minutes than say tens of minutes.

That Dr. Rorke’s even offers an estimate at all suggests she is on strong ground since her opinion can be peer reviewed, so maybe she is privy to information not in the public domain?

BBM

Something important to consider in trying to decide which expert’s opinion might be more accurate than another’s is what information he/she had available to them at the time. At a minimum, the expert might have had only the AR on which to base an opinion. (There are some opinions which are still even today circulated that were based on the partial AR that was released before a judge ordered it released in full.) The most information a person could have would be to actually see the evidence firsthand and to have access to the results of any further testing that might be done (chemical, biological, microscopic, etc.). TMK, Dr. Meyer is the only pathologist who had all that. But he is not a neurological pathologist, and his conclusions and opinions have never been made public. Somewhere between those minimum and maximum amounts of information are a few “experts” like Dr. Rorke who (according to my information) was given access to lab reports, copies of microscopic slides, and even a section of the brain taken and preserved by someone in the ME’s office (more on that in another post).
I am anxiously awaiting this future post!

otg said:
Additionally, Rorke is a neuropathologist -- an expert on brain pathology. Her credentials in this field are unquestioned. But her specialty is limited to this area and her knowledge in other areas important to consider might be limited.
Agreed.

otg said:
Let’s look first at what Meyer said in the AR about the amount of swelling in the brain. I’ll try to give as much information as I have on this one part of the time estimate, and then I’ll write about necrosis -- the other factor reportedly looked at by Dr. Rorke in trying to estimate this time frame. The AR is supposed to be an objective account of what is seen by the medical examiner. But a noted observation can be misleadingly assumed to be an impartial conclusion.
True.

otg said:
For instance, Meyer noted the following information:

A “normal overall architecture” is a subjective description. So too is “mild narrowing”. But they’re important in knowing that Meyer made a general observation that there was not very much swelling of the brain. But in that same passage he notes that the brain weighed 1450 gm.
After briefly researching average brain weights, I, too, noticed these probabilistically, contradictory elements of the AR.

otg said:
For comparison on brain weights from another post (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ll-Fractures-The-Weapon&p=9054790#post9054790):

View attachment 58346

View attachment 58347
Many thanks for finding and sharing these resources.

otg said:

Precisely, thus, a perpetual JBR case predicament.

otg said:
Ditto.

otg said:
But back to the original question: “If the head blow was inflicted prior to (45 minutes-2 hours, according to Kolar?) strangulation, then why was there ‘no evidence of inflammatory infiltrate or organization of the hemorrhage’?” Perhaps the simple answer to that question is that the supposition of 45 minutes to 2 hours is incorrect.
Perhaps?...

otg said:
In my opinion those things should have manifest themselves within a much shorter timeframe. Between the three conflicting injury responses (edema, inflammatory infiltrate, and organization of the hemorrhage), I believe the edema to be the least accurate measurement because of all the variables affecting it. But there are also other problems with that longer timeframe that I’ll try to address in another post.

I look forward to these future analyses.

Thank you SOOO MUCH, otg, for your generosity in sharing the resources you've consulted, and for expending the time, energy, & thought your analysis required.

...such a seemingly simple question, yet, so complex (nearing convoluted) are the possibilities.

You're right. In the autopsy report, Dr. Meyer did not attribute the abrasions he observed above & below the ligature, to "fingernail gouges", but an AR doesn't typically contain conjecture. Meyer has not publicly disclosed his opinion on this matter, nor has he shared his opinion on most (all) of the oft debated elements of the AR.

We have no way of determining, with certainty, the cause of the abrasions, but I have yet to come across a consulted expert's analysis of these abrasions that is in disagreeance with the shared opinion of ME's from "both sides"; Spitz, Wecht, and Doberson.

Agreed, this coroner chose not to identify fingernail gouges, if they are actually present. And something may be in Meyer’s notes. But it’s not necessarily the case that all ME performing an autopsy consider fingernail gouges “conjecture”. (For reference: From an autopsy on a Boston child killed by his foster mother. . .
The autopsy also revealed ligature marks on Dontel's wrists, fingernail gouges on his forehead, and a bruise under his left eye.)

Also agreed, Wecht and Spitz certainly had different theories as to what transpired, but both of them seemed to feel there was an initial strangulation injury. (Not familiar with Doberson, so perhaps someone else may want to address his theory.) The concept of two strangulations has been debated before and, at least on this forum, I don’t know we have agreement on this. (Surprise! :))

For anyone new reading here: Wecht’s theory involved an adult and a vicarious(?) auto-erotic game resulting in a vagus nerve injury from which JB could not regain consciousness. The perpetrator may have used a scarf. Wecht did not come out and actually say it, but his reference was to an adult male within the household. ( An extensive interview from 2009 is located in our media thread, if anyone is interested.)

As to Spitz, he also was an RDI. "JonBenet Ramsey, in my view, was the victim of somebody in that house, I have difficulty seeing it otherwise," he said in a 2006 interview. However, I think there may be some confusion over his quotation in the Kolar book. There were, according to Spitz, two different strangulation scenarios: 1) A strangulation from someone grabbing JB’s shirt and twisting it, which may have led to his conclusions regarding fingernail gouges , since she would have been alive when that transpired and 2) The ligature strangulation ending JB’s life.

What is confusing is that it is not obvious that Spitz is referencing the gouges in regard to the ligature. We know JB was found in a crew neck shirt, so my assumption, which could be wrong, is that those gouges would be found lower on the neck. And the AR seems to be referencing the abrasions above and below the ligature furrow. Quoting from the autopsy just so folks know what I’m referencing.

The area of abrasion and petechial hemorrhage of the skin of the anterior neck includes on the lower left neck, just to the left of the midline, a roughly triangular, parchment-like rust colored abrasion which measures 1.5 inches in length with a maximum width of 0.75 inches. This roughly triangular shaped abrasion is obliquely oriented with the apex superior and lateral. The remainder of the abrasions and petechial hemorrhages of the skin above and below the anterior projection of the ligature furrow are nonpatterned, purple to rust colored, and present in the midline, right, and left areas of the anterior neck. The skin just above the ligature furrow along the right side of the neck contains petechial hemorrhage composed of multiple confluent very small petechial hemorrhages as well as several larger petechial hemorrhages measuring up to one-sixteenth and one-eighth of an inch in maximum dimension. Similar smaller petechial hemorrhages are present on the skin below the ligature furrow on the left lateral aspect of the neck. Located on the right side of the chin is a three-sixteenths by one-eighth of an inch area of superficial abrasion.

If there were indeed “gouges,” then my non-medical/amateur mind still wonders wouldn’t there have been found fresh DNA from JB’s skin, skin cells, and also most likely blood cells under her nails? The lab reports showed degraded DNA under the nails. The DNA may have been JB’s, but it wasn’t fresh.

However, I’ve reconsidered something, because of the musing about these abrasions possibly being fingernail gouges. Maybe these weren’t JB’s nails which caused this, as in fighting off an attacker. If PR, who obviously had longer nails, discovered JB tied to something and assumed she was strangled, I’d think a parent’s immediate response would be to place fingers underneath a ligature in order to loosen it? Causing some abrasions/gouges? Just speculating here.

All JMHO

Agreed, this coroner chose not to identify fingernail gouges, if they are actually present. And something may be in Meyer’s notes. But it’s not necessarily the case that all ME performing an autopsy consider fingernail gouges “conjecture”. (For reference: From an autopsy on a Boston child killed by his foster mother. . .
The autopsy also revealed ligature marks on Dontel's wrists, fingernail gouges on his forehead, and a bruise under his left eye.)

Also agreed, Wecht and Spitz certainly had different theories as to what transpired, but both of them seemed to feel there was an initial strangulation injury. (Not familiar with Doberson, so perhaps someone else may want to address his theory.) The concept of two strangulations has been debated before and, at least on this forum, I don’t know we have agreement on this. (Surprise! :))

For anyone new reading here: Wecht’s theory involved an adult and a vicarious(?) auto-erotic game resulting in a vagus nerve injury from which JB could not regain consciousness. The perpetrator may have used a scarf. Wecht did not come out and actually say it, but his reference was to an adult male within the household. ( An extensive interview from 2009 is located in our media thread, if anyone is interested.)

As to Spitz, he also was an RDI. "JonBenet Ramsey, in my view, was the victim of somebody in that house, I have difficulty seeing it otherwise," he said in a 2006 interview. However, I think there may be some confusion over his quotation in the Kolar book. There were, according to Spitz, two different strangulation scenarios: 1) A strangulation from someone grabbing JB’s shirt and twisting it, which may have led to his conclusions regarding fingernail gouges , since she would have been alive when that transpired and 2) The ligature strangulation ending JB’s life.

What is confusing is that it is not obvious that Spitz is referencing the gouges in regard to the ligature. We know JB was found in a crew neck shirt, so my assumption, which could be wrong, is that those gouges would be found lower on the neck. And the AR seems to be referencing the abrasions above and below the ligature furrow. Quoting from the autopsy just so folks know what I’m referencing.

The area of abrasion and petechial hemorrhage of the skin of the anterior neck includes on the lower left neck, just to the left of the midline, a roughly triangular, parchment-like rust colored abrasion which measures 1.5 inches in length with a maximum width of 0.75 inches. This roughly triangular shaped abrasion is obliquely oriented with the apex superior and lateral. The remainder of the abrasions and petechial hemorrhages of the skin above and below the anterior projection of the ligature furrow are nonpatterned, purple to rust colored, and present in the midline, right, and left areas of the anterior neck. The skin just above the ligature furrow along the right side of the neck contains petechial hemorrhage composed of multiple confluent very small petechial hemorrhages as well as several larger petechial hemorrhages measuring up to one-sixteenth and one-eighth of an inch in maximum dimension. Similar smaller petechial hemorrhages are present on the skin below the ligature furrow on the left lateral aspect of the neck. Located on the right side of the chin is a three-sixteenths by one-eighth of an inch area of superficial abrasion.

If there were indeed “gouges,” then my non-medical/amateur mind still wonders wouldn’t there have been found fresh DNA from JB’s skin, skin cells, and also most likely blood cells under her nails? The lab reports showed degraded DNA under the nails. The DNA may have been JB’s, but it wasn’t fresh.

However, I’ve reconsidered something, because of the musing about these abrasions possibly being fingernail gouges. Maybe these weren’t JB’s nails which caused this, as in fighting off an attacker. If PR, who obviously had longer nails, discovered JB tied to something and assumed she was strangled, I’d think a parent’s immediate response would be to place fingers underneath a ligature in order to loosen it? Causing some abrasions/gouges? Just speculating here.

All JMHO
Quick question... didnt want to reply to entire post but how do I copy just the part I want to reply to(using my phone) just the part(s) i want to respond to? Ok now I just wonder about this scarf. Could this be the one JR just had to "tuck" in around her in her casket?

Quick question... didnt want to reply to entire post but how do I copy just the part I want to reply to(using my phone) just the part(s) i want to respond to? Ok now I just wonder about this scarf. Could this be the one JR just had to "tuck" in around her in her casket?
Just press the icon on the far right (multi-quote this post) and then the reply with quote icon and you can edit the portions you wish to reply to.

Some people who believe JR had been using a scarf in a game with JB (a game with molesting content) have certainly asked that question. Obviously, no forensic proof of that scenario.
moo

Just press the icon on the far right (multi-quote this post) and then the reply with quote icon and you can edit the portions you wish to reply to.

Some people who believe JR had been using a scarf in a game with JB (a game with molesting content) have certainly asked that question. Obviously, no forensic proof of that scenario.
moo
Ok. Thanks.

moo

Heyya DeDee and otg,

As far as 'gentle strangulation' is concerned,
what if, in the initial assault, it was not strangulation, (manual or with an apparatus), but rather, pressure was applied to the cartoid of a sleeping individual?

All JMHO

questfortrue,
Entirely plausible, might fit a robust PDI. Without delving into the details I think the important point to note is that there appear to be injuries to JonBenet's neck both above and below the circumferential furrow. I do not think these can be simply explained away as resulting from the paintbrush/ligature asphyxiation.

For me the clue lies in the staging, i.e. why bother pursuing the ligature/paintbrush scenario when either a pillow or simple ligature would suffice? It seems so obvious to me that someone else's crime is being staged away, and can you mask prior neck injuries, well possibly only with some form of asphyxiation? Similarly with JonBenet's genital injuries. The coroner states there was sexual contact, and we know she bled, if the splinter found internally originated from the paintbrush then this suggests it arrived after it was broken, i.e. during a staging event?

Whomever staged JonBenet realized the best they could do was arrange the forensic evidence so it becomes ambiguous, in this the R's were successful since many think the staged forensic evidence is the basis for a valid RDI theory.

We know JB was found in a crew neck shirt,
Not certain about this, she was wearing a white Gap Top when found in the wine-cellar?

questfortrue,

Entirely plausible, might fit a robust PDI. Without delving into the details I think the important point to note is that there appear to be injuries to JonBenet's neck both above and below the circumferential furrow. I do not think these can be simply explained away as resulting from the paintbrush/ligature asphyxiation.

For me the clue lies in the staging, i.e. why bother pursuing the ligature/paintbrush scenario when either a pillow or simple ligature would suffice?
Good point. A violent assault necessitates a violent means. If staged, suffocation with a pillow (per your example) would be highly inadequate.

UKGuy said:
It seems so obvious to me that someone else's crime is being staged away, and can you mask prior neck injuries, well possibly only with some form of asphyxiation? Similarly with JonBenet's genital injuries. The coroner states there was sexual contact, and we know she bled, if the splinter found internally originated from the paintbrush then this suggests it arrived after it was broken, i.e. during a staging event?
Possibly so, but I don't find it obvious (at all) that "someone else's crime is being staged away." What makes it obvious to you?

UKGuy said:
Whomever staged JonBenet realized the best they could do was arrange the forensic evidence so it becomes ambiguous, in this the R's were successful since many think the staged forensic evidence is the basis for a valid RDI theory.
I'm confused. ...a valid RDI theory, or do you mean IDI? Please clarify & elaborate.

UKGuy said:
Not certain about this, she was wearing a white Gap Top when found in the wine-cellar?

Do you think she was wearing a different top (or the nightgown), earlier, during the assault?

Good point. A violent assault necessitates a violent means. If staged, suffocation with a pillow (per your example) would be highly inadequate.

Possibly so, but I don't find it obvious (at all) that "someone else's crime is being staged away." What makes it obvious to you?

I'm confused. ...a valid RDI theory, or do you mean IDI? Please clarify & elaborate.

Do you think she was wearing a different top (or the nightgown), earlier, during the assault?

Mama2JML,
Because if there was only one person involved all the staging and some of the details would be more consistent, even if you assume PDI and PR staging a sexual assault then someone came after her changed it all to a kidnapping scenario with the sexual assault cleaned up and hidden beneath the longjohns. So someone else's crime was staged away?

Why should you be confused, we know the R's relocated JonBenet, redressed her, and added fake forensic evidence, principally the asphyxiation and genital injury, others have used this as if they were bona fide facts in their theories, so they arrive at invalid RDI theories, the same can be said about any IDI theory, but most consider that a settled matter, i.e. the case is RDI?

Yes I do. Patsy likely dressed JonBenet for bed, i.e. assymetric ponytails, quite possibly in the red turtleneck so they could leave quickly the following morning. I suspect JonBenet was staged elsewhere in the house wearing the pink nightgown, possibly because of the bloodstains, i.e. there should be none, they opted for the white Gap Top, which was to match their version of events anyway?

I'm speculating that there was a minimum of two stagings one to mask the original crime and a second to minimise the forensic evidence, e.g. the cleaned up sexual assault with JonBenet being wiped down as per Coroner Meyer's remarks?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back