Head injury vs. strangulation ***WARNING! AUTOPSY PHOTOS!***

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree that there was most likely two strangulations. One non fatal, leading to the scream, the second to cover the first, after the head bash, that for all intents and purposes killed JonBenet.

PS, JoeskidBeck, it's great to see your signature in the 'thanks' column. I hope you are doing well and school is coming along well!!!:seeya:

Yes, as you have pointed out before, but what do you think?

vlpate,
Well if I accept the autopsy report then it seems likely that JonBenet was asphyxiated prior to her receiving the head bash.

The head bash first is not entirely consistent with JonBenet's accompanying injuries.

Whereas if you consider the scenario that someone was restraining JonBenet, say by compressing her collar?

Then on release she may have collapsed bashing her head on some object. The rest is probably staging?

Since the crime-scene is staged much of what we consider forensic evidence might simply be contrived, and what some percieve as undoing might represent fabrications created for a quite different purpose.

Consider the red turtleneck, what if Patsy demanded JonBenet wore it that night so she would be ready to leave the next morning, but there was another argument, with Patsy losing it, throttling JonBenet via the collar, possibly hitting JonBenet physically, then releasing her which causes her to bash her head?

I forget if the turtleneck had been washed, but it was found balled up in the bathroom, so assuming the bathroom was the primary crime-scene, most elements appear consistent with a PDI caused initially by compression, then the head bash, followed up with all the staging?

The actual truth will be some variation of these events. What is more likely is that someone restrained JonBenet by the neck, causing the abrasions. The ligature furrow is circumferential, which is what you would not expect to see if JonBenet was standing or seated.

So someone was molesting JonBenet prior to her death, she tries to escape but is held back by by her collar or someones hands around her neck, which would also help keep her quiet. And as in the PDI once she is released she falls and injures her head.

EA fits in with this scenario, but I do not think EA was taking place. EA is normally a solo male thing, women do indulge in EA, but certainly not six-year old girls, for whom oxygen deprivation would not be experienced as a high!

So someone was abusing JonBenet, there was a fight or disagreement, JonBenet was restrained by her neck which led to her accidentally injuring her head. The rest is staging.

I haven't seen photos of the abrasions on the lower back and posterior lower leg. Were they possibly consistent with being dragged - perhaps by the turtleneck, still partially on and around JonBenet's neck?

And since I'm here again asking more than I'm offering, has it been discussed that the head injury was caused by a foot or shoe, as opposed to a hit over the head?

why is there a need to cover the first strangulation anyway?

And if it's staging, why is it deeply furrowed into her neck in which you can see that it contributed to her strangling?

UKGuy, are you saying that particular strangling is a staged strangling to cover up the original strangling, and if so, why?

Also, what about this statement from DeeDee249 in the Ligature Marks thread:

DeeDee says:
"If you look at the photo closely, you'll see that at least one of the ligature marks is WHITE, NOT RED- an indication it was made after death during the earliest unfixed stages of livor mortis, which is the blanching stage, Pressure anywhere after death during the blanching stage will result in the now-still blood being pushed out from under the pressure point, and as it is beginning to gel, it does not flow back into the space, making the white mark. In a LIVE person, the blood will flow immediately back in when pressure is removed, and anyone can try this on themselves. It works best on the lower legs."
__

Okay, I'm trying to understand - if that one, and I think there are two, white ligature furrows are blanching/white because they were made after her death, but the furrow in which the ligature is deeply embedded is red meaning it was done while she was still alive, then how did the other marks get there after she was dead, if they were made with the same ligature? The person would have to un-embed the ligature from the furrowed spot it was found tightly knotted in on her neck, and move it to those spots... unless the blanched areas were made by something else? Or unless the science doesn't (only) work that way - just asking either way.....

So upon close study, I wonder if she was strangled by two things at once?...

When you look at this pic you see the two distinct white blanched marks around the neck, and the bottom one IS slanted up towards the knot on the ligature itself. But the pink abrasion in the middle between the two white blanched marks fit the same shape (not the rust colored triangular abrasion that we know is bleeding into the neck from strangulation as shown on other victims, just for clarification). In other words, the pink abrasioned area comes to the same point, slanting up perfectly between / demarcated into the white ligature marks. It looks like someone colored in that pink exactly betwen the two white marks. That looks like almost one other completely separate strangling injury by a completely separate strangling implement that caused that pattern. And again, that injury does slant up and towards the back of her neck. In order for the pink middle abrasion and the two white outlining abrasions to make that shape, it would have to be something that was able to bunch/gather into that slanted shape - cloth, what have you:
jonbenetfaceright.jpg

...Or if the rope/ligature was wrapped around her neck multiple times causing that pattern of injury?...

...Or if it was more than one strangulation device? If so, why?

I also think the white in the patterns on her neck are not just in the shape of the rope, but different: wavy on the top one, and the bottom one gets a little larger at the end of where it stops and the red part begins begins...

ugh, Im just going to have to draw out what i'm talking about for each thing I am trying to point out.... that would be a lot easier....it's hard to explain if everyone is looking at something different and our computer screens and lighting is not the same for everyone as well....

I'll try to do that later...in the meantime, before I can illustrate on the pics exactly what I am talking about, in this photo below, can anyone see the wavy pattern on the top white mark in this pic? Note that the arrows and notes are NOT my illustrations; they are from Zyberzoom pointing out previously that he (?) thinks the rope was wrapped around twice...I don't know if that's the case - asking the questions above, and pointing out that the rope being wrapped around more than once is one possibility. The question about the wavy pattern in the top white mark on her neck is not circled or noted on this photo, or as of yet by me..just want to see if you all can see it if you look at it in the lighting on your screen a certain way.

From A Candy Rose:
http://zyberzoom.com/ComparisonPhotos.html

mkneck.gif

vlpate,
Well if I accept the autopsy report then it seems likely that JonBenet was asphyxiated prior to her receiving the head bash.

The head bash first is not entirely consistent with JonBenet's accompanying injuries.

Whereas if you consider the scenario that someone was restraining JonBenet, say by compressing her collar?

Then on release she may have collapsed bashing her head on some object. The rest is probably staging?

Since the crime-scene is staged much of what we consider forensic evidence might simply be contrived, and what some percieve as undoing might represent fabrications created for a quite different purpose.

Consider the red turtleneck, what if Patsy demanded JonBenet wore it that night so she would be ready to leave the next morning, but there was another argument, with Patsy losing it, throttling JonBenet via the collar, possibly hitting JonBenet physically, then releasing her which causes her to bash her head?

I forget if the turtleneck had been washed, but it was found balled up in the bathroom, so assuming the bathroom was the primary crime-scene, most elements appear consistent with a PDI caused initially by compression, then the head bash, followed up with all the staging?

The actual truth will be some variation of these events. What is more likely is that someone restrained JonBenet by the neck, causing the abrasions. The ligature furrow is circumferential, which is what you would not expect to see if JonBenet was standing or seated.

So someone was molesting JonBenet prior to her death, she tries to escape but is held back by by her collar or someones hands around her neck, which would also help keep her quiet. And as in the PDI once she is released she falls and injures her head.

EA fits in with this scenario, but I do not think EA was taking place. EA is normally a solo male thing, women do indulge in EA, but certainly not six-year old girls, for whom oxygen deprivation would not be experienced as a high!

So someone was abusing JonBenet, there was a fight or disagreement, JonBenet was restrained by her neck which led to her accidentally injuring her head. The rest is staging.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, and I agree with much of it. I don't agree that the autopsy states she was asphyxiated first - because it states asphyxiation associated with the head trauma. The head trauma would have killed her eventually, while the strangulation would have killed her almost immediately - especially if she was already close to death.

Bashing a dead person in the head just makes no sense at all....and even less if the game of AEA was in play. I'll never buy it.

I think Patsy suspected the sexual abuse (the many trips to the Dr.), and the abuse is the very reason John didn't throw her drama butt under the bus. IMO

(not the rust colored triangular abrasion that we know is bleeding into the neck from strangulation as shown on other victims, just for clarification)

Source for this clarification?

Great post by the way, and I am seeing the same colors you are in the photos.

I see one white ligature mark on JB's neck- and that ligature was plenty long enough to wrap around her neck one more time AFTER the knot was already tied. The long end with the broken paintbrush handle had enough cord to have accomplished this.
Frankly, I see no evidence of a prior strangulation with a scarf or other soft material, even her turtleneck. There would have been some kind of bruise or mark- something. The coroner can tell if something else had strangled her first. For something to have pressed her vagus nerves hard enough to stop her heart, it would have left a mark or some kind. It hadn't happened that long before her death. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, this was a ligature strangulation. This is disturbing because it is harder to explain why it was done. It is almost easier to explain the ligature if there HAD been evidence of a prior strangulation, as by grabbing her turtleneck and shaking her hard. She DID have evidence of "shaken-baby syndrome". Someone did shake her hard enough to cause bruising of the brain that was seen at the autopsy in the locations consistent with her being shaken hard.
As far as JB collapsing and hitting her head- no way. This huge skull fracture and 8-inch linear fracture was just what the coroner said it was: BLUNT FORCE TRAUMA- she was hit on the head WITH something, not hit something with her head. There is a big difference in the force with which the object meets the skull when swung by an arm (as in a bludgeon) opposed to her falling and hitting her head on a flat surface, even a hard surface. Even a fall onto a counter or tub edge wouldn't make a hole like that. She'd have had to be slammed into it; it simply wouldn't happen in a fall from a standing position. She was about 4 feet tall, weighed about 40-something pounds. Not enough weight or force or energy to the fall to produce a hole like she had.

I see one white ligature mark on JB's neck- and that ligature was plenty long enough to wrap around her neck one more time AFTER the knot was already tied. The long end with the broken paintbrush handle had enough cord to have accomplished this.
Frankly, I see no evidence of a prior strangulation with a scarf or other soft material, even her turtleneck. There would have been some kind of bruise or mark- something. The coroner can tell if something else had strangled her first. For something to have pressed her vagus nerves hard enough to stop her heart, it would have left a mark or some kind. It hadn't happened that long before her death. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, this was a ligature strangulation. This is disturbing because it is harder to explain why it was done. It is almost easier to explain the ligature if there HAD been evidence of a prior strangulation, as by grabbing her turtleneck and shaking her hard. She DID have evidence of "shaken-baby syndrome". Someone did shake her hard enough to cause bruising of the brain that was seen at the autopsy in the locations consistent with her being shaken hard.
As far as JB collapsing and hitting her head- no way. This huge skull fracture and 8-inch linear fracture was just what the coroner said it was: BLUNT FORCE TRAUMA- she was hit on the head WITH something, not hit something with her head. There is a big difference in the force with which the object meets the skull when swung by an arm (as in a bludgeon) opposed to her falling and hitting her head on a flat surface, even a hard surface. Even a fall onto a counter or tub edge wouldn't make a hole like that. She'd have had to be slammed into it; it simply wouldn't happen in a fall from a standing position. She was about 4 feet tall, weighed about 40-something pounds. Not enough weight or force or energy to the fall to produce a hole like she had.
BEM The "abrasion" is evidence of something being pressed hard into that area (triangular abrasion), and that something could easily be a turtleneck. I frankly don't see the likeness in the comparison of another victim that was strangled with a rope...this abrasion looks entirely different to me, IMO.

She could have been shaken back and forth at the faucet of the tub and with such violent force this break in her skull could have resulted. The force it would take depends on the point of impact, from what I remember from my research years ago when we discussed this at length.

IMO, Dr. Meyer has held his "opinion" close in case there were ever to be a trial, and I appreciate that - we don't need to be privy to every detail, it only helps the Ramsey's make their case.

All of the plumbing in JonBenet's bathroom was taken into evidence and for me, that is telling.

I don't see "blood pooling" and an abrasion to be the same thing.

From the autopsy report, Dr. Meyer clearly calls this triangular mark an abrasion.
"... a roughly triangular, parchment-like rust colored
abrasion which measures 1.5 inches in length with a maximum width
of 0.75 inches. This roughly triangular shaped abrasion is
obliquely oriented with the apex superior and lateral.

If the turtleneck was pulled tightly around jonbenet's neck in a rage, shaking her to and fro, this would surely cause an "abrasion" at the point of pressure.

JMO since I'm no expert.

JMO since I'm no expert. - vlpate

Heyya vlpate.

Yes it is noted as an abrasion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abrasion_(medical)

How would it be noted, if it was "blood pooling" beneath the epidermis?

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, and I agree with much of it. I don't agree that the autopsy states she was asphyxiated first - because it states asphyxiation associated with the head trauma. The head trauma would have killed her eventually, while the strangulation would have killed her almost immediately - especially if she was already close to death.

Bashing a dead person in the head just makes no sense at all....and even less if the game of AEA was in play. I'll never buy it.

I think Patsy suspected the sexual abuse (the many trips to the Dr.), and the abuse is the very reason John didn't throw her drama butt under the bus. IMO

vlpate,
I don't agree that the autopsy states she was asphyxiated first
I never said it did. You asked for my opinion, which is the asphyxiation was coterminous with ther head injury. They are so closely connected in time that the only distinction will have been the time taken for her abuser to realize she was fatally injured.

The head trauma would have killed her eventually, while the strangulation would have killed her almost immediately - especially if she was already close to death.
You can argue either way, but what you are suggesting is not consistent with the forensic evidence e.g. that JonBenet received all her injuries, except for the head trauma, after she fell unconcious, which is nearly as bizarre as the EA theory!

why is there a need to cover the first strangulation anyway?

And if it's staging, why is it deeply furrowed into her neck in which you can see that it contributed to her strangling?

UKGuy, are you saying that particular strangling is a staged strangling to cover up the original strangling, and if so, why?

Also, what about this statement from DeeDee249 in the Ligature Marks thread:

DeeDee says:
"If you look at the photo closely, you'll see that at least one of the ligature marks is WHITE, NOT RED- an indication it was made after death during the earliest unfixed stages of livor mortis, which is the blanching stage, Pressure anywhere after death during the blanching stage will result in the now-still blood being pushed out from under the pressure point, and as it is beginning to gel, it does not flow back into the space, making the white mark. In a LIVE person, the blood will flow immediately back in when pressure is removed, and anyone can try this on themselves. It works best on the lower legs."
__

Okay, I'm trying to understand - if that one, and I think there are two, white ligature furrows are blanching/white because they were made after her death, but the furrow in which the ligature is deeply embedded is red meaning it was done while she was still alive, then how did the other marks get there after she was dead, if they were made with the same ligature? The person would have to un-embed the ligature from the furrowed spot it was found tightly knotted in on her neck, and move it to those spots... unless the blanched areas were made by something else? Or unless the science doesn't (only) work that way - just asking either way.....

So upon close study, I wonder if she was strangled by two things at once?...

When you look at this pic you see the two distinct white blanched marks around the neck, and the bottom one IS slanted up towards the knot on the ligature itself. But the pink abrasion in the middle between the two white blanched marks fit the same shape (not the rust colored triangular abrasion that we know is bleeding into the neck from strangulation as shown on other victims, just for clarification). In other words, the pink abrasioned area comes to the same point, slanting up perfectly between / demarcated into the white ligature marks. It looks like someone colored in that pink exactly betwen the two white marks. That looks like almost one other completely separate strangling injury by a completely separate strangling implement that caused that pattern. And again, that injury does slant up and towards the back of her neck. In order for the pink middle abrasion and the two white outlining abrasions to make that shape, it would have to be something that was able to bunch/gather into that slanted shape - cloth, what have you:

...Or if the rope/ligature was wrapped around her neck multiple times causing that pattern of injury?...

...Or if it was more than one strangulation device? If so, why?

I also think the white in the patterns on her neck are not just in the shape of the rope, but different: wavy on the top one, and the bottom one gets a little larger at the end of where it stops and the red part begins begins...

ugh, Im just going to have to draw out what i'm talking about for each thing I am trying to point out.... that would be a lot easier....it's hard to explain if everyone is looking at something different and our computer screens and lighting is not the same for everyone as well....

I'll try to do that later...in the meantime, before I can illustrate on the pics exactly what I am talking about, in this photo below, can anyone see the wavy pattern on the top white mark in this pic? Note that the arrows and notes are NOT my illustrations; they are from Zyberzoom pointing out previously that he (?) thinks the rope was wrapped around twice...I don't know if that's the case - asking the questions above, and pointing out that the rope being wrapped around more than once is one possibility. The question about the wavy pattern in the top white mark on her neck is not circled or noted on this photo, or as of yet by me..just want to see if you all can see it if you look at it in the lighting on your screen a certain way.

Whaleshark,
Yes I am. Just apply some common sense to the scenario. If the head injury is an accident, the why would you immediately strangle and assault your daughters body, then institute a cover up? Bear in mind JonBenet has various contusions and abrasions on her body.

We do not know where to start: head injury or strangulation? Well we know the sexual assault came first, so it seems likely there was an altercation, where JonBenet's neck was compressed, once she was released she fell to the ground hitting some object so sustaining her head injury. The rest is staging.

JonBenet was not dead when she was transported to the basement. She was in a coma, and without immediate medical assistance would slowly die.

The person who applied the ligature to her neck may or may not have known she was still alive. Because the ligature furrow is circumferential we can infer JonBenet was lying down, otherwise gravity would offer a different furrow pattern.

So it appears there were two strangulation events, the last one being fatal. It might be fairer to describe the first event as a compression where the collar of a shirt, or fingers, is compressed against the neck, which does not have to result in a loss of conciousness. This first compression event is what I think caused the red abrasion marks on the front of JonBenet's neck. The ligature is simply staging, so to mask the original compression event. But it is this that is the cause of death in association with her head injury. The neck and head trauma multiply the effects of oxygen deprivation resulting JonBenet's death.

I think nearly everything in the wine-cellar is staging. The killer(s) immediate postmortem goal will be to disassociate JonBenet from the primary crime-scene and stage some kind of alternative scenario. Relocating JonBenet to the wine-cellar achieves this. The primary crime-scene may have actually been a parents bedroom, her bathroom, and a secondary crime-scene may have been JonBenet's own bedroom, since there is forensic evidence located there e.g. blood or mucus.

So JonBenet may have been abused in another room in the house e.g. a bedroom. Following her neck and head injury, she may have been placed in her own bed so to fake a bedtime assault. Then things were revised to that of a bedtime abduction, so JonBenet was transported to the basement. Where the ligature was applied, possibly the size-12's and longjohns all acting as elements that obscure and hide. They are not really required since the autopsy will eventually reveal a sexual assault, so JonBenet could have been left naked?

Why so? Well some suggest undoing as an explanation. This is possible, but in the context of actual crime-scene fabrication, it represents a secondary factor.

Then there is the time John Ramsey had to himself the following morning when Fleet White and John Fernie were taking Burke back to his house. Did John apply the restraints and duct tape at this point or was that a prior event?

With a piece of the paintbrush missing some have speculated it was left inside JonBenet after violating her. This would provide cover for the prior sexual assault.

So most of the forensic evidence in the wine-cellar has been invented to promote what would later become Lou Smit's Psychopathic Intruder theory, and now Wechts EA theory.

The most important piece of evidence comes from the Coroners lips when he stated that there was digital penetration and sexual contact directly prior to JonBenet's death.

So I see events unfolding so: sexual abuse, altercation, neck compression, head injury, staging, death!

vlpate,

<snip>
You can argue either way, but what you are suggesting is not consistent with the forensic evidence e.g. that JonBenet received all her injuries, except for the head trauma, after she fell unconcious, which is nearly as bizarre as the EA theory!

I argued what? I am going to have to take way more time scrutinizing my verbiage. I don't understand what you are saying I said??

JMO since I'm no expert. - vlpate

Heyya vlpate.

Yes it is noted as an abrasion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abrasion_(medical)

How would it be noted, if it was "blood pooling" beneath the epidermis?

I don't know, but when Dr. Meyer went to the house that first night, his notes stated a "dried abrasion" when referring to the triangular mark. I'm assuming that would mean external.

I argued what? I am going to have to take way more time scrutinizing my verbiage. I don't understand what you are saying I said??

vlpate,

Maybe I misunderstood your sequence of events. I assumed you were suggesting head blow, strangulation, death?

vlpate asked:

Originally Posted by Whaleshark
(not the rust colored triangular abrasion that we know is bleeding into the neck from strangulation as shown on other victims, just for clarification)

Source for this clarification?
__

Long thread discussing it here - with all kinds of sources - I won't recreate the discussion, just point to it:

The roughly, triangular parchment-like rust colored abrasion:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123333"]http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123333[/ame]

I tend to currently agree with OTG's assertion on the triangular mark:

Excerpted from OTG:
"...Since I (we) haven't yet found a name for this phenomenon, perhaps we can give a name. Let's refer to it as a "CTE" -- Carotid Triangle Ecchymosis. By golly, we may have something..."

(snip)

MurriFlower,

I can see in the mark what you refer to as being the possible result of a gun muzzle, but I see how it could just as easily be anything else cylindrically shaped -- or even more so, pentagon-shaped. What I don’t see is how pressing it against the neck would cause the bright red discoloration shown in the autopsy photos. Add to that the fact that this type of mark/pattern can be found in numerous other photos of strangulation victims and I tend to think it was caused by the ligature. This was why I thought there must be an anatomical reason for it that I had to investigate (my not having much of a medical background).

Also on the gun theory, I would point out how out of the ordinary it would be to hold a gun against a person’s neck. If a person is held against his will at gunpoint, isn’t it much more common that the gun would be pointed at the head, or maybe even in the back to herd them in a certain direction, or in the chest to hold someone down as you suggest?

So... Taking the photo you enhanced, I took a few more steps. First, I turned it 90 degrees, and then cropped it a little:

4q4c90.jpg

Then I extended lines through the two most pronounced sides of the concentrated area, and one more where the third side of the Carotid Triangle would be (which also runs approximately along the same general line as the fainter area of bruising/ecchymosis). And actually, the lines of the Carotid Triangle are not perfectly straight (I posted a drawing for reference at the bottom showing the structures that form its boundaries.):

2aeuiqg.jpg

Then I adjusted the contrast to make the discoloration stand out a little more:

sg51xc.jpg

In this photo, you should be able to see in the center of the dark trapezoidal shape a much darker, oval-shaped area which is where I believe the initial blood leak occurred. Here is the same photo with the darkest area outlined in an oval shape:

24e72ag.jpg

What I believe caused this is a blood vessel or some capillaries burst while the initial strangulation occurred. This happened under the surface in the center of the darkest area shown in the photo just above here. From there, it pooled out forming what would have been a circular pattern, were it not somewhat restricted by the boundaries of the neck muscles that form this triangle. With this restriction, the blood continued to extravasate at a diminishing rate leeching into the upper boundaries of the triangle, accounting for the fainter area of redness toward the chin. The following photo shows where the pooling would have occurred in a circular pattern were it not within the Carotid Triangle:

a2q1jm.jpg

It is for all of the above reasons that I also don’t feel this mark is from a burn of some sort (Sorry, Steely.) The other mark though on her right cheek may very well be from a burn. I’ll have to look into that next, but this one is what always puzzled me the most.

I should point out that the triangle looks a bit different from the side than it does from the front because of the angle of view. Here is a picture from the front showing where the Carotid Triangle would be (I cropped the photo so it’s not quite as gruesome.):

15pqtnc.jpg

BTW, the vagus nerve that everyone likes to talk about runs through this area, just between the carotid artery and the jugular vein. The vagus nerve is so named from the latin word for “wandering”, because of the way it meanders its way through the body from the brain to various organs in the abdominal area. “Vagus” comes from the same root word as vagrant, vagabond, and vague (I just love etymology.).

Carotid Triangle Boundaries (or sides of the triangle) are referred to as:

• Posterior (back) line of the triangle is the Sternocleidomastoideus.
  • Superior (upper) line is the Stylohyoideus and the posterior belly of the Digastricus.
  • Inferior (lower) line is the superior belly of the Omohyoideus.
2vsjgqt.jpg

The 2 white lines/areas I was trying to point out earlier:

JBR-Lines-Neck1.jpg

vlpate,

Maybe I misunderstood your sequence of events. I assumed you were suggesting head blow, strangulation, death?

Then you are correct. I don't see how this differs from the autopsy report, Meyer didn't go into detail, but he did state "associated with" when referring to the head trauma. He never said which came first, he only stated cause of death.

My step-father was shot in the stomach with a 357 magnum, but the death certificate stated he died from a heart attack (miocardial infarction?) Clearly there was a chance the gunshot wound would have killed him, and was most probably the catalyst for the heart attack, but technically, the heart failure beat the bullet to it.

If anyone can give me one good reason why anyone, Patsy, intruder, santa, or a small foreign faction would bash a dead child in the head, I might re-consider, but that's not likely.

]Excerpted from OTG:
"...Since I (we) haven't yet found a name for this phenomenon, perhaps we can give a name. Let's refer to it as a "CTE" -- Carotid Triangle Ecchymosis. By golly, we may have something..."

The size of the triangular abrasion is too big to be defined as ecchymosis. Someone went to a lot of trouble with this post and it is appreciated - but only emphasizes the need to start from fact, IMO.

The size of the triangular abrasion is too big to be defined as ecchymosis. Someone went to a lot of trouble with this post and it is appreciated - but only emphasizes the need to start from fact, IMO.

Too big? Ecchymosis is esentially a bruise or bleeding into the skin tissue...

Is this fact enough for you?

http://missinglink.ucsf.edu/lm/DermatologyGlossary/ecchymosis.html:
"Ecchymosis (pl. Ecchymoses) - Non-blanching, purpuric macules or patches of greater than 3mm due to extravasated blood in the skin. Like petechiae (purpuric lesions smaller than 3mm), these non-blanching lesions are due to non-inflammatory blood vessel fragility and subsequent extravasation of red blood cells into the surrounding tissue. The non-blanching nature of purpura differentiates it from blanching seen in erythematous lesions, and helps solidify a clinical definition of ecchymoses".

http://www.medicues.com/symptoms/ecchymosis/:
"Ecchymosis (bruise) is the symptom of trauma to the skin resulting in tearing of blood vessels and bleeding below the skin surface"

http://www.skincareguide.ca/glossary/e/ecchymosis.html:
Ecchymosis (definition)
(ek"i-mo'sis) (Greek. Ekchymosis - a pouring out)

"Bruise / Contusion: A macular red or purple hemorrhage in skin or mucous membrane more than 2 mm in diameter."

From "Taylor's Principal and practice of medical jurisprudence", by Frederick John Smith and Alfred Swaine Taylor:

Strangulation -
....."In manual strangulation the marks of bruising and ecchymosis will be in the front of the neck, chiefly about the larynx and below it. The circular direction of a mark produced by the ligature is not an absolute indication that strangulation has taken place without suspension of the body, since instances have been related where a circular mark has been observed in hanging; and it is possible tha tsome degree of obliquity may occasionally exist in the course of the depression produced by a ligature in strangulation. A medical jurist, ought, therefore, to weigh all the facts connected with the position of the body, and the nature and direction of the ligature before he forms an opinion, from the appearances presented by the mark on the neck, whether the person has been strangled or not. Greater importance is to be attached to the lividity, ecchymosis, and abrasion of the skin in the course of the ligature than to the circularity or obliquity of the depression produced by it. In the strangling of a living person by a cord, it is scarcely possible that a murderer can avoid producing on the neck marks of severe injury, and in the existence of these we have evidence of the violent manner in which death has taken place.

Photos of Ecchymosis:

ecchymosis_5.jpg

ecchymosis_6.jpg

ecchymosis_4.jpg

ecchymosis_3.jpg

http://www.pediatrics.wisc.edu/education/derm/tutb/49.html
ecchymosis_2.jpg

ecchymosis_1.jpg

Too big? Ecchymosis is esentially a bruise or bleeding into the skin tissue...

Is this fact enough for you?

http://missinglink.ucsf.edu/lm/DermatologyGlossary/ecchymosis.html:
"Ecchymosis (pl. Ecchymoses) - Non-blanching, purpuric macules or patches of greater than 3mm due to extravasated blood in the skin. Like petechiae (purpuric lesions smaller than 3mm), these non-blanching lesions are due to non-inflammatory blood vessel fragility and subsequent extravasation of red blood cells into the surrounding tissue. The non-blanching nature of purpura differentiates it from blanching seen in erythematous lesions, and helps solidify a clinical definition of ecchymoses".

I didn't do my homework, I only relied on this article/definition from wikipedia (I should know better!).
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...uise+ecchymosis+size&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Thanks for the lunch visuals, by the way!

Just a few thoughts…
I think we have to abide by what Meyer actually said in the autopsy report with respect to that triangular area, he called it an abrasion. If he thought it was ecchymosis or anything other than an abrasion he would have used that term for it. We can speculate and say he was wrong, (and anything’s possible,) but Meyer was obviously familiar with the differences, and more importantly he was there, we are only looking at pictures.
I have below an example of a pathologist commenting on an autopsy report that identifies multiple injuries and as you can see, the differences between the injuries are labeled with multiple terms, including abrasion and ecchymosis.

On January 5, 1983, Phillip was hospitalized when his stomach hurt and he started turning blue. (2405) He was "pale" and found to have a "large hematoma (a swelling of blood which occurs in an organ or tissue resulting from ruptured blood vessels) over the left parietal area." (2406)(2451) Areas of ecchymosis was found on his lower back on his spine, back of neck, abdomen area, hips and knee. Small areas of petechiae were found on his abdomen. …

Dr. Williams' written autopsy findings report swelling and purple discoloration of the left upper eyelid; a large "bruise" of the left forehead, temporal area and cheek, a small bruise anterior to the left ear, abrasion behind the left ear, a small bruise of the left chin, and "three lacerations and a scratch" on the left posterior neck. The largest "laceration" was 2.6 cm (just over 1 inch) long and 2.2 cm deep. Two other lacerations were 0.9 cm and 0.8 cm long. The left shoulder showed bruising and abrasion, which was also measured and described. All of these injuries are well illustrated in autopsy photographs.

…a more ovoid abrasion (not a "Battle's sign") is present behind the left ear.
http://2ndchairservices.com/sbsdefense/movies/Riebedec.pdf

An abrasion is a superficial injury involving only the outer layers of the skin and not penetrating the full thickness of the epidermis. Abrasions exude serum which progressively hardens to form a scab, but they may also bleed as occasionally they are deep enough to breach the vascular papillae that corrugate the undersurface of the epidermis.
Abrasion are often due to movement of the skin surface over a rough surface or vice versa . Thus they may have a linear appearance and close examination may show ruffling of the superficial epidermis to one end, indicating the direction of travel of the opposing surface. Thus a tangential blow could be shown to have been horizontal or vertical, or it may be possible to infer that the victim had been dragged over a rough surface. Multiple scratches running in an irregular criss-cross configuration may corroborate a history of being pulled through bushes.
The patterning of abrasions is clearer than that of bruises because abrasions frequently take a fairly detailed impression of the shape of the object causing them and, once inflicted, do not extend or gravitate.
A physician's guide to clinical forensic medicine, Martha Stark, pages 105 - 106
2466dqa.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734
Back