Help us find "The Human Fly". This is Websleuths' chance to show law enforcement what we can do!!!

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Contact the local news and ask to publish a story about your work and the search for The Human Fly.

When I first read the topic: The Human Fly, I thought of Kafka's Metamorphosis. I see it's jumping 19 cars on a motorcycle or similar stunts. Flying human! First thing I checked was obituaries.

Human interest stories make the news. I'm Canadian and familiar with municipal and national news outlets. Let me know if I can help.

While we wait to see if the person we found on FB is our guy. I emailed the Calgary Homeless Foundation to see if I could find out information about how to go about finding out if someone homeless on the streets has passed away. Their response is below:

" Thank you so much for reaching out. All personal information is governed by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP). I’ve attached the relevant section to this email in response to your inquiry."

I've attached what she sent to me. I haven't had the chance to go through it yet. But if it's FOIP, that seems like it may be pretty hard to get the information.

Attachments

• bulletin16.pdf
    891.9 KB · Views: 3
This is a list of homeless shelters in Calgary that correspond to the area where the man may live (East Village and Stampede grounds). It might be worthwhile for the filmmakers to send an email to each organization to enquire whether outreach people know him and can get a message to him.

For obvious privacy reasons, I doubt anyone will release information about him, but they will accept contact info that they can pass along to him so he can choose whether to respond. That's true of everyone, regardless of whether they are homeless. It seems to me that the filmmakers should be doing the legwork if they think the man is homeless in Calgary. No one else really has any credibility.

Attachments

• 1689015542762.png
    1689015542762.png
    169.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 1689015691742.png
    1689015691742.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 5
Just realized that I forgot to include the link in the previous comment.
Scroll down and expand Homeless Shelters:

After a bit of research, I think the Mustard Seed would be a good place to start. Many homeless people register there to collect monthly government cheques. The Mustard Seed has an off-site shelter to house a large number of people overnight, and shuttle them to the city centre during the day.

If someone with legitimate credentials wants to make an inquiry whether this man is the man being sought, please contact me privately and I will help to make the connection to see whether this is a viable option.

Contact the local news and ask to publish a story about your work and the search for The Human Fly.

When I first read the topic: The Human Fly, I thought of Kafka's Metamorphosis. I see it's jumping 19 cars on a motorcycle or similar stunts. Flying human! First thing I checked was obituaries.

Human interest stories make the news. I'm Canadian and familiar with municipal and national news outlets. Let me know if I can help.
Thank you. I have written to all the local papers but not had any response. If you have any contacts that would be fantastic.

Sure do.

@LucyAstro

Lucy W. of Astronaut Films UK. She's an Executive Producer. Scroll down the link to see their "in production" ...
Hi Otto, Please do ask if you want any more info about me and the production company. Very happy to share any info about us and our search. I actually did a Live with Tricia if you want to see us chatting about how far we have got. Thanks so much for your help, Best wishes, Lucy

Summing up the latest

So Richard Rajotte is either :

A, The homeless man in the Calgary Journal who is now no longer homeless and active on FB with this profile - Richard Rajotte
I have attempted to contact his friends on FB but with no joy yet.
I have messaged all homeless centres in Calgary asking them to pass the message on, not sure if they have but as he is no longer homeless not sure if worth pursing this further.
FB seems best option.

B, He is not the guy above and we are back to the drawing board.

As suggested by many of you, my latest plan is to try to get some nationwide Canadian press attention to see if we can find him that way. I have a few contacts but if anyone has any suggestions I would love to follow up. Perhaps if I could find a radio host or sports commentator or someone who might be able to help and up for generating some social media content around the search ...

Thanks for all your help so far ... fingers crossed for more news soon ...

Hi Otto, Please do ask if you want any more info about me and the production company. Very happy to share any info about us and our search. I actually did a Live with Tricia if you want to see us chatting about how far we have got. Thanks so much for your help, Best wishes, Lucy
Thanks Lucy!!

I missed the Live with Tricia ..

@otto

The episode linked here:

Summing up the latest

So Richard Rajotte is either :

A, The homeless man in the Calgary Journal who is now no longer homeless and active on FB with this profile - Richard Rajotte
I have attempted to contact his friends on FB but with no joy yet.
I have messaged all homeless centres in Calgary asking them to pass the message on, not sure if they have but as he is no longer homeless not sure if worth pursing this further.
FB seems best option.

B, He is not the guy above and we are back to the drawing board.

As suggested by many of you, my latest plan is to try to get some nationwide Canadian press attention to see if we can find him that way. I have a few contacts but if anyone has any suggestions I would love to follow up. Perhaps if I could find a radio host or sports commentator or someone who might be able to help and up for generating some social media content around the search ...

Thanks for all your help so far ... fingers crossed for more news soon ...
The facebook photos look like Canmore area and there is a comment (2 years ago) from him about a Canmore development. link

This is a list of homeless shelters in Calgary that correspond to the area where the man may live (East Village and Stampede grounds). It might be worthwhile for the filmmakers to send an email to each organization to enquire whether outreach people know him and can get a message to him.

For obvious privacy reasons, I doubt anyone will release information about him, but they will accept contact info that they can pass along to him so he can choose whether to respond. That's true of everyone, regardless of whether they are homeless. It seems to me that the filmmakers should be doing the legwork if they think the man is homeless in Calgary. No one else really has any credibility.

Good idea! I was told by a friend of mine who has a close contact that used to work at the Alpha house, that if you call the Alpha house you can leave a message saying you are looking for someone named __________ and leave them a message and they can call back if they want. So I think this would really work to call all the places and leave messages just in case he is there.

On the 19th Jan he was in Calgary (He mentions crossing a one way street)
The photos that appear to be Canmore could be a hostel or shared accommodation for employees. Housing is limited in Canmore, Banff and other resort areas, so businesses provide shared housing for employees.

I am really thinking though, that if this man was homeless in 2015, the chances are high he has either:

1. Passed away
2. Got housing/help
3. Traveled somewhere else

I think it's possible he is still on the streets in Calgary, just thinking it's not highly likely. But I'm sure there must be people out there who know and remember him.

Still crossing my fingers the guy on FB is him. There are few things that don't match up well (IMO), but there is also so much that does match up well. Hopefully someone hears from him soon. He has still not looked at my message.

MOO

Keep in mind that Google, Bing and all the others use algorithms (and $$$) to return search results. Did you notice that they mostly always return same returns in same ranks? They choose results that they are willing to give you and to let you see. Don't try to overturn results or keep hoping of better results down the list. Big waste of time and lot of #"$%$#*&?%$#

Am not surprised at all that requests by emails to newspapers are still silent. Unfortunately, this is not the best way to reach to them now. With main focus on paying subscribers and lack of staff to search requests, you will not get from any of them the info that you're looking for. And you're missing those that are now closed.

As a senior research librarian for many years, it's in my experience that search engines and requests by emails are only a bonus to an online search with power reasearch tools usually with paying access and not always available on public access. This is how you find the specific results that your looking for because it is often not tagged on the internet.
A federated and validated search with a library will return results that you will not find by yourself. It will help you gather faster bits and pieces taking time to find right now.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that Google, Bing and all the others use algorithms (and $$$) to return search results. Did you notice that they mostly always return same returns in same ranks? They choose results that they are willing to give you and to let you see. Don't try to overturn results or keep hoping of better results down the list. Big waste of time and lot of #"$%$#*&?%$#

Am not surprised at all that requests by emails to newspapers are still silent. Unfortunately, this is not the best way to reach to them now. With main focus on paying subscribers and lack of staff to search requests, you will not get from any of them the info that you're looking for. And you're missing those that are now closed.

As a senior research librarian for many years, it's in my experience that search engines and requests by emails are only a bonus to an online search with power reasearch tools usually with paying access and not always available on public access. This is how you find the specific results that your looking for because it is often not tagged on the internet.
A federated and validated search with a library will return results that you will not find by yourself. It will help you gather faster bits and pieces taking time to find right now.
Thank you. Do you know who best to contact to do this search? I am based in the UK so we have different systems to Canada.

I have created a Facebook Group with updates on The Human Fly Comic relaunch and requests for help with the search.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024
Back