Still Missing HI - Ariel Sellers AKA 'Isabella Kalua', 6, last seen asleep in bdrm, Waimanalo, 12 Sep 2021*Arrests

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here's an article in today's Star Advertiser paper that summarizes the current status:

Family holds vigil for missing 6-year-old Isabella Kalua

Volunteers have done a pretty good job of putting up "Missing" posters of Isabella/Ariel all around the island. I saw quite a few at various places yesterday and four more this morning. Unfortunately, I think the search has mostly stalled until authorities are able to release more critical, missing information. For example, WHEN did the other kids in the house see Isabella last??

Last edited:
Here's an article in today's Star Advertiser paper that summarizes the current status:

Volunteers have done a pretty good job of putting up "Missing" posters of Isabella/Ariel all around the island. I saw quite a few at various places yesterday and four more this morning. Unfortunately, I think the search has mostly stalled until authorities are able to release more critical, missing information. For example, WHEN did the other kids in the house see Isabella last??
I'm sorry to hear the searching has stopped. That keeps media interested. So now unless LE provides regular updates, I feel this case will go completely silent.

This is a short video about the vigil. It is nice to see so much community support. Even though media seems to be winding down, the bio family and the volunteers still seem to be committed.

At candlelight vigil, a community seeking answers vows to ‘leave a light on’ for missing child

Editing to add: I thought this was a nice quote from the article:
Candles and cell phone flashlights lit up Waimanalo District Park as a moment of silence was held for the missing girl.

Community volunteers and loved ones say they aren’t giving up hope on finding Isabella.

“The idea behind that was to light her way home and it’s not just for Isabella’s way home,” said community volunteer Michele Lone. “It’s for any child, if they need a safe place to follow the light, any light that’s on, that’s a safe haven for them.”

Today (Monday) is the day that there was a hearing scheduled concerning the removal of the children from the home of the adoptive parents. I wonder how that turned out.

Last edited:
New report from Hawaii News Now - The reporter, Lynn Kawano, did a good job. Life has not been fair for poor little Isabella/Ariel.

Missing girl had serious injuries investigated by state in past 2 years

I've highlighted parts of the article, but I don't want to violate the copyright by posting more. The whole article is worth reading. There is also a video at the link.

By Lynn Kawano
Published: Sep. 20, 2021 at 8:30 PM PDT|Updated: 2 hours ago

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Exactly one week after Waimanalo 6-year-old Isabella “Ariel” Kalua was reported missing, her adoptive family sat down with HPD for an extensive interview Monday ― the same day that police announced they were suspending the active search for the little girl.

Meanwhile, Hawaii News Now has learned that the girl had two serious injuries investigated by Child Welfare Services in the past two years.

In the first incident, in October 2019, she had a broken finger.

There was a delay in the reporting of the injury and a delay in getting her treatment, sources said. Her family said her hand was slammed in a door.

Just four months later, in January 2020, Kalua suffered a broken leg and was taken to the ER. The family said she was injured on a trampoline.

In both cases, a panel of experts determined there was no maltreatment.

But Stephen Lane, a longtime foster parent and child advocate, said the incidents draw suspicion.

“There’s no reasonable explanation why a parent, foster adoptive or natural would delay the treatment or reporting of this kind of an injury,” Lane said.

Kalua was reported missing on Sept. 13 at about 6:30 am.

That afternoon, Child Welfare Services removed her three siblings from the home.

Attorney Randall Rosenberg, who often represents families of children in the foster system, agreed with the decision to take the siblings out of the home quickly “because there’s a safety issue and the explanation of the child’s disappearance is not as satisfactory as we’d want.”

Lane previously said Isabella’s placement in the home in the first place raised
red flags.

“It’s a violation of the Department of Human Services’ foster home parent’s guidelines,” he said.

New report from Hawaii News Now - The reporter, Lynn Kawano, did a good job. Life has not been fair for poor little Isabella/Ariel.

Missing girl had serious injuries investigated by state in past 2 years

I've highlighted parts of the article, but I don't want to violate the copyright by posting more. The whole article is worth reading. There is also a video at the link.

By Lynn Kawano
Published: Sep. 20, 2021 at 8:30 PM PDT|Updated: 2 hours ago

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Exactly one week after Waimanalo 6-year-old Isabella “Ariel” Kalua was reported missing, her adoptive family sat down with HPD for an extensive interview Monday ― the same day that police announced they were suspending the active search for the little girl.

Meanwhile, Hawaii News Now has learned that the girl had two serious injuries investigated by Child Welfare Services in the past two years.

In the first incident, in October 2019, she had a broken finger.

There was a delay in the reporting of the injury and a delay in getting her treatment, sources said. Her family said her hand was slammed in a door.

Just four months later, in January 2020, Kalua suffered a broken leg and was taken to the ER. The family said she was injured on a trampoline.

In both cases, a panel of experts determined there was no maltreatment.

But Stephen Lane, a longtime foster parent and child advocate, said the incidents draw suspicion.

“There’s no reasonable explanation why a parent, foster adoptive or natural would delay the treatment or reporting of this kind of an injury,” Lane said.

Kalua was reported missing on Sept. 13 at about 6:30 am.

That afternoon, Child Welfare Services removed her three siblings from the home.

Attorney Randall Rosenberg, who often represents families of children in the foster system, agreed with the decision to take the siblings out of the home quickly “because there’s a safety issue and the explanation of the child’s disappearance is not as satisfactory as we’d want.”

Lane previously said Isabella’s placement in the home in the first place raised
red flags.

“It’s a violation of the Department of Human Services’ foster home parent’s guidelines,” he said.
This piece isn't quite a smoking gun, but it's darn close. Glad to see more info coming out thanks to the tenacity of the local media.

I have been following this from Australia and cannot believe how little attention it is getting.

Honolulu police suspend search

It is concerning that a child so young has a history going outside at night, and was also described as wearing shoes to bed... Electronic locks seem quite high tech, or maybe we just don't have them in Aus. I wonder what other kinds of data investigators have been able to obtain from the house. Surely knowing the time the door was unlocked has given a time frame to check public/neighbour CTV??

With all due respect to the most popular missing persons/homicide case at the moment, why is this little girl, a minor and, by most standards, a vulnerable person, a blip on the radar right now??

I don’t find the small details of her life concerning on their own but put together I’m deeply concerned for this kids safety.
I have a 6-year old girl. They don’t run off into the dark on their own or prefer to “sleep outside” unless there’s something very abnormal at play. I find it concerning, per a previously posted article, that her broken finger wasn’t checked out. That would have been a trip to urgent care and a follow up at the pediatrician for us, no doubt.

I’m sure the siblings are being interviewed and that more will come to light through those interviews but I sure hope those kids have been placed in very carefully vetted hands.

ALL MY OPINION ONLY

I have been following this from Australia and cannot believe how little attention it is getting.

Honolulu police suspend search

It is concerning that a child so young has a history going outside at night, and was also described as wearing shoes to bed... Electronic locks seem quite high tech, or maybe we just don't have them in Aus. I wonder what other kinds of data investigators have been able to obtain from the house. Surely knowing the time the door was unlocked has given a time frame to check public/neighbour CTV??

the electronic locks actually make sense to me if she really does have a history of wandering or even sleepwalking. One of my children has a history of sleepwalking and we have measures in place because of that. Wandering off at 6 years old alert and willingly though is very concerning.

BBM: I hope they have questioned the other children by now and have an answer to that question.

Apparently, the adoptive parents have been asked not to speak out on social media due to death threats the family has been receiving. They were due in court today concerning the siblings.
Police Suspend Search for 6-Year-Old Waimānalo Girl
A short rant (I promise)- What is wrong with people? Attacking family at the drop of a dime is not going to find the victim. Seems to be the trend lately, and it's not a good one. :mad:

This case appears to have just dropped off the news cliff. No news updates I could find last 2 days. Frustrating, as a little girl appears to have just vanished. One local news article I read said that the police called off the search. I doubt they would have done that unless they have information they're not sharing. For example, when did the other kids say they actually saw Isabella last. That has never been answered in the news. Until that and more details are shared suspicions will abound in this case. We need more information to go on to help figure out where she is and bring her home. jmo moo

MISSING GIRL'S ADOPTIVE PARENTS SEEKING TO GET OTHER KIDS BACK

Missing girl's adoptive parents seeking to get other kids back

William Harrison, a criminal defense lawyer, said it was the Honolulu Police Department that made the allegations to have the three sisters, ages 12, 3 and 1, of Isabella removed, not Child Welfare Services.

Harrison seemed pleased it was police, not CWS.

"Normally, if there's possible harm, that's when CPS (Child Protective Services ) steps in, " he said. "Only the Police Department claimed there was possible harm, and they don't have any evidence."

He said the adoptive parents are "going to litigate that issue."

Harrison accompanied them to meet with detectives.

"My clients spent a significant amount of time—over two hours, " providing them with a recorded statement, he said, adding police reiterated they were not suspects.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaxininaz
Back