GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to add that a cell phone can and will ping even when turned off. If the battery is removed, or it's smashed, etc. it will stop pinging.

I found the towers here:

http://www.cellreception.com/towers/towers.php?city=Hana&state_abr=hi

If she'd driven as far as Twin Falls, she would have connected with the first Haiku tower.

Thanks for the help! So according to her mother the last cell ping was where on this map? link below.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=217392837830814032642.0004f27c34f418f269993&msa=0

If I'm looking at this correctly, (using both maps) that last ping was closer to the market place where the dog was found?

I just wanted to add that a cell phone can and will ping even when turned off. If the battery is removed, or it's smashed, etc. it will stop pinging.
Sorry, I always have to say this: It depends on the phone as to whether it pings when it is turned "off". Mine does not ping when turned off. It is an old Motorola Razr V3. My daughter's android phone does not ping when turned off (really turned off-not set to wake up if some activity occurs or in standby, but really turned off). Spousy's phone has no way to completely turn it off, so it does ping. All phones are not created equal.

Does the ping tell just the location of the closest tower or it is able to, let's say pinpoint the cell phone was 2 miles away from the tower?

Does the ping tell just the location of the closest tower or it is able to, let's say pinpoint the cell phone was 2 miles away from the tower?

Any cell phone will connect with the closest tower. A cell phone is like a two-way radio. Again, imagine your car radio. Imagine that there are two stations broadcasting at, oh, 90.9. One is playing hip-hop, the other classic rock. You are listening to the hip-hop station at 90.9. As you travel out of range of the hip-hop station, the signal becomes static-y and you begin to hear weak classic rock. As you get closer to the classic rock signal, the static diminishes and soon you are rocking out. As with any radio, mountains and anything tall can interfere with the signal.

Now if you have a GPS phone, the phone is connecting to satellites, and those are considerably more accurate with regard to pinpointing your location.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert in cell phone techology. But I know for a fact that any cell phone will ping off the closest tower, all the time, every time. Again, it is like a two-way radio. The GPS is an addition that's nice to use when you get lost. I wouldn't find it particularly useful in Hawaii, particularly Maui. It's much harder to get lost on a small island.

So, if CS says that he lost sight of Charli's headlights near Twin Falls, and we can clearly see from the map that I posted that the Haiku-area tower is much closer to Twin Falls than the Keanae-area tower, then he clearly lied. She, or more accurately, her phone never made it back within range of the Haiku tower.

Edited to add: I didn't directly answer your question. An expert may be able to estimate location based on signal strength. So if I am within a mile of the Haiku-area tower, the signal is strong; when I am 10 miles away, not as strong. I hope MPD has subpoenaed Charli and SC's cell phone records.

In her burned vehicle there were parts of a burned phone but it was not able to be identified as hers or not. A new FB page with all the timeline from the old page plus new stuff has been created. From the people I know and talk with the tooth and bone they are not convinced belong to Charli. Why does MPD send off their evidence when there is a new crime lab on Maui?

In her burned vehicle there were parts of a burned phone but it was not able to be identified as hers or not. A new FB page with all the timeline from the old page plus new stuff has been created. From the people I know and talk with the tooth and bone they are not convinced belong to Charli. Why does MPD send off their evidence when there is a new crime lab on Maui?

Interesting. How do you suppose they were able to reclassify the case as a homicide? Wouldn't they require evidence of foul play?

Would you please post the name of that new FB page, assuming it's an open forum?
Could Charli have been killed in her car? I suspect so......which could mean others have some knowledge.

Any cell phone will connect with the closest tower. A cell phone is like a two-way radio. Again, imagine your car radio. Imagine that there are two stations broadcasting at, oh, 90.9. One is playing hip-hop, the other classic rock. You are listening to the hip-hop station at 90.9. As you travel out of range of the hip-hop station, the signal becomes static-y and you begin to hear weak classic rock. As you get closer to the classic rock signal, the static diminishes and soon you are rocking out. As with any radio, mountains and anything tall can interfere with the signal.

Now if you have a GPS phone, the phone is connecting to satellites, and those are considerably more accurate with regard to pinpointing your location.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert in cell phone techology. But I know for a fact that any cell phone will ping off the closest tower, all the time, every time. Again, it is like a two-way radio. The GPS is an addition that's nice to use when you get lost. I wouldn't find it particularly useful in Hawaii, particularly Maui. It's much harder to get lost on a small island.

So, if CS says that he lost sight of Charli's headlights near Twin Falls, and we can clearly see from the map that I posted that the Haiku-area tower is much closer to Twin Falls than the Keanae-area tower, then he clearly lied. She, or more accurately, her phone never made it back within range of the Haiku tower.

Excellent! Thank you.
It is my understanding that there may be more cell towers that are not on that map. (privately owned) ??
I'm beating a dead horse because based on the map, the next closest tower appears to be closer to the marketplace where the dog was found. Is that correct? If so, then my previous post may be practical.

His car was never at mm 20. They drove past mm 20 heading toward the marketplace. CS realizes he lied about the car being stuck, and a fight starts, giving him the excuse he needs to get physical/violent with her. The pent up aggravation of becoming a father is let lose. She gets knocked out with one of his "light tools". There is a lot of blood. He lets the dog out at the marketplace and he heads back. Along the way he has to get rid of the blood soaked clothing. Slashes the shirt and bra to remove it and discards it. Now he rids of the body. Then drives the car to jaws, sets it on fire because in the car is where the crime happened and then walks home. He acted alone. The points along the road make sense. Is anyone following me? I hope I'm making some sort of sense.

Excellent! Thank you.
It is my understanding that there may be more cell towers that are not on that map. (privately owned) ??
I'm beating a dead horse because based on the map, the next closest tower appears to be closer to the marketplace where the dog was found. Is that correct? If so, then my previous post may be practical.

His car was never at mm 20. They drove past mm 20 heading toward the marketplace. CS realizes he lied about the car being stuck, and a fight starts, giving him the excuse he needs to get physical/violent with her. The pent up aggravation of becoming a father is let lose. She gets knocked out with one of his "light tools". There is a lot of blood. He lets the dog out at the marketplace and he heads back. Along the way he has to get rid of the blood soaked clothing. Slashes the shirt and bra to remove it and discards it. Now he rids of the body. Then drives the car to jaws, sets it on fire because in the car is where the crime happened and then walks home. He acted alone. The points along the road make sense. Is anyone following me? I hope I'm making some sort of sense.

Yes, if you clicked the site I linked to, it states that only towers registered with the FCC are on this map. There may be other privately-owned towers. I hope there are.

http://www.cellreception.com/towers/

I totally agree that his vehicle was never at or near MM 20. His cell phone could prove that he is lying about that, too, although he could claim that he left it at home. And maybe he did. But then he'd have to explain why, when his car is unreliable, he chose to leave it at home.

I don't have a firm theory as to how Charli was killed, but I'd say that the last person known to have seen her, who happens to be the father of her unborn child, calls himself "the prime suspect" early on in the investigation, knows her dog, has a lame, non-specific alibi, and shows little remorse or concern is pretty high up on my personal list of suspects.:moo:

Oh BTW, the clothes were left on the beach near Honomanu, according to Maui Now.

"Sources tell Maui Now that the woman’s sisters confirmed that clothes belonging to Charli were found on Thursday, Feb. 13, near mile marker 14 to 18, at a beach area near Honomanū off of the Hāna Highway."

http://mauinow.com/2014/02/14/police-evidence-recovered-in-case-of-missing-charli-scott/

Interesting. How do you suppose they were able to reclassify the case as a homicide? Wouldn't they require evidence of foul play?
They have not mentioned if there was blood on the clothes found, or if there was more clothing or something else found with blood/dna that LE has not mentioned. From the way LE has spoken (little as it is) I think that they have evidence with some kind of Charli's DNA on it/in it, and it would have to be something like blood on clothing, especially if it were near a hole in the clothing (or a tooth or a bone fragment, of course). Media is reporting the "slashed" bra as though it is confirmed it belonged to Charli. If it is confirmed, the bra being "slashed" or even cut in some way would be suspicious at best.

Have the people you know and talked with said WHY they are not convinced the bone and tooth belong to Charli?
Perhaps that is the reason for the "multiple murders" chatter/rumors.

The sister told me she is not convinced. The family keeps many things close to the chest right now, understandably so.

The new facebook page is an open page. It is called "A study to find out what happened to Charli and Joshua Scott"

1. Crabapple Jones, you intrigue me. Why the subliminal messages on your facebook page?

2. A study to find out what happened to Charli and Joshua Scott facebook page suggests a romantic interest for SC returning to the island. Also intriguing.

I just remembered reading CS sister saying she believes that at least three people know what happened. The lightbulb just went off. There seems to be three consistent posters that seem to taunt and almost challenge SC, posting info that would not be widely known. Is it all the same person? or a few friends that know as fact the story doesn't add up? It's as if they want so badly to speak up but something is holding them back.

Excellent! Thank you.

My only thing about this theory is that her car was stripped and we know that because someone ended up with some of the parts (grill or front bumper IIRC).

It still bothers me that SC didn't want his voice to be heard. Why? His name is already printed in the press and it sounds like a lot of people know who he is. I have to wonder if he didn't call someone anonymously that would be "interested" in an abandoned car. In essence, assuring that it would be stripped and torched before anyone realized Charli was missing.

I'm still not convinced that MM20 was a crime scene. We really don't know where Charli was killed. It could have been just about anywhere on the island. I'm not even convinced that her home was properly processed. The road to Hana could have just been a convenient dump site and diversion.

This case makes me so sad. :(

Hambirg, I totally agree with you on my thinking out loud theory. It was truly just that, thinking out loud. And I see the holes in it. Hopefully, it prompts others to question and think more closely at the known facts. There are a lot of eyes on this site and if it jogs something for someone to help find her then mission accomplished. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne