GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean to restrain the dog while perp did the "dirty work"? I was thinking that the dog could have been in a vehicle while the crime was committed outside. No extra hands needed in that scenario.
For some reason, I was thinking that Nala would have been left in Charli's car. I cannot imagine anyone letting their dog run loose on Hana Highway while working on the truck. IF Charli were attacked while out of her car and Nala knew SC, SC could have driven Nala to where the dog was found after hurting/killing Charli, then returned, left the 4runner, and driven back in the truck. This scenario requires SC to have told someone where to pick up the 4runner to strip and torch.

How awful for the family to have it reclassified like that. MPD has to be pretty sure with what they have that it is indeed a homicide and not just a kidnapping alone. My heart goes out to Charli's family. Even without a body that seems so final, ya know?

Again, not hearing his actual words, it could have been "I had extra light, tools with me at that time." with a pause between light and tools, meaning I had extra light AND extra tools. The written word does not have the same inflection that the spoken word does. Which is probably why he didn't want anyone hearing his voice. If he was flippant about some answers, that would come across in the spoken word.

The first thing that popped out at me when I read his interview was the use of "light tools". I told my husband it was like an admission - or a Freudian slip. I took light tools to mean hammers, wrenches, anything you'd carry in a pickup toolbox. And no doubt, he would've had some tools handy if he was going back to work on the truck.

I have light tools in my truck too. A ratchet and some bits, drivers and wrenches. Nothing that would seriously hurt anyone but they'd help in fixing a busted tail light or issues with my radiator.

I don't find his use of past tense all that strange either. My ex and I are estranged and I don't speak of him in the present tense. Granted I'm not asked situational questions regarding his whereabouts but when he does come up it's, "he was, he had". But on the other hand, I didn't just recently bum a ride off of him either so, there's that!

The slashed bra bothers me more than anything. It was a very poor choice of descriptives that the reporter used in the article and does not show objectivity. It presents so much malicious intent and the reporter must've heard the word used off-the-record by forensics. Professional journalism has fallen by the wayside as we all know but as a journalist, I was taught to be objective. My opinion should not be present in the article, only the facts and no less than three sources.

Back to Charli, another way MPD may have been able to reclassify the case is the blood on the evidence must've given them an idea she was murdered. For instance even though the blood was dried, the presence of gas in the blood and it's cellular shape may have been arterial (life threatening) whereas a superficial wound, like a laceration to the hand would release blood in it's post-oxygenated state, the cellular shape is different and therefore it may indicate merely defensive or accidental trauma. Blood splatter or the presence of organic tissues on the garments can also rule out homicide.

I personally think he shot her, that's how he knocked her teeth loose.

Very sad either way. Hug your family tonight!

I considered a variation of that, too. If Charli was still alive she must have been subdued to let Nala go. They are all frightening scenarios.

Exactly. Maybe he slipped something in her drink that made her very sleepy, drove down Hana Hwy. until she fell asleep, which was in or near Nahiku, let Nala out of the car, then turned back and went to Keanae to do the dirty work. This presumes that he planned this out ahead of time, which is definitely a frightening scenario.

One more thing, then I promise to go to bed! I think murderers remove the clothing so that the clothes aren't spotted from the distance. It's easy to overlook a decomposing body once the flesh turns black. But clothes seem to lend shape to a human being.

Clothes also make a person look human. Something a murderer may not want to rationalize.

@Nikki.......you bring up many good points about reclassification to homicide. I think DNA testing takes a very long time to yield results.
My first thought when I learned about bone and a tooth was that he shot, smashed or punched her in the face, which for some reason makes it all seem so much more horribly vivid, real and psychopathic.

Do you know if the car could have been hidden from the road at the crime scene during the murder. The killer would be taking a big chance that someone might stop if it were visible.

Exactly. Maybe he slipped something in her drink that made her very sleepy, drove down Hana Hwy. until she fell asleep, which was in or near Nahiku, let Nala out of the car, then turned back and went to Keanae to do the dirty work. This presumes that he planned this out ahead of time, which is definitely a frightening scenario.

I think it was premeditated. In light of what Nikki Lissette has just written I hope your scenario is the way it happened so that young mother-to-be wouldn't know what was coming. :sick::sick:

It's really interesting the way words can be interpreted by different people. I would never in a million years think of screwdrivers, hammers, etc as "light" tools. Tools are either power, gas, pneumatic or hand tools. Of course, there is always that regional difference in how people refer to things. I now find I would like to have heard SC's actual voice in the interview.....maybe he really did know what he was doing when he made sure no one would hear his voice.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=217392837830814032642.0004f27c34f418f269993&msa=

CS from Makawao

Map courtesy of member Ghostwheel.

Was there time to do all of this?
Since no one reported Charli missing on Sunday night, it seems there would be time to do almost anything. I don't recall whether SC lives with anyone, or if anyone knows when he got home. Was that in any article?

BTW, the link above is missing a 0
https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=217392837830814032642.0004f27c34f418f269993&msa=0

Since no one reported Charli missing on Sunday night, it seems there would be time to do almost anything. I don't recall whether SC lives with anyone, or if anyone knows when he got home. Was that in any article?

BTW, the link above is missing a 0
https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=217392837830814032642.0004f27c34f418f269993&msa=0

So much info, I'm forgetting things now. He sent her a text message the next morning saying "Thank You". So am I correct that he is not accounted for after CS left to get him when her family saw her to that text the next morning?

(thank you for adding the 0 it is a good read and thought provoking)

It's really interesting the way words can be interpreted by different people. I would never in a million years think of screwdrivers, hammers, etc as "light" tools. Tools are either power, gas, pneumatic or hand tools. Of course, there is always that regional difference in how people refer to things. I now find I would like to have heard SC's actual voice in the interview.....maybe he really did know what he was doing when he made sure no one would hear his voice.

My first thought about SC not wanting his voice on tape with the interviewer was he made a call to someone or put the word out to the car stripping gang that there was an abandoned car available and didn't want anyone to be able to identify him by his voice.
The fact that he didn't want anyone to be able to pick up on any telling emotion or lack thereof in his voice may also be a really good reason.

And I'm with you on the "light" tools. I categorized tools as power, gas, hand, etc. I took "light" tools as meaning "work" light as in the type you can clamp on or on a stand as opposed to just a hand held flashlight.

This is so very sad for the family. :cry:
Prayers that they find her and can arrest the person(s) responsible.

I agree that the phrasing is odd. I would have said "small tools", "hand tools" or "my tool kit".

If that was reported in an article, or mentioned by a poster in the know, I missed it. It would be great to know when SC was last seen by someone on Feb 9 and the next time he was seen by someone on the morning of Feb. 10.

Other unrelated thoughts that I had this morning:

I assume that reclassifying the case as a homicide allows MPD to request search warrants and question possible witnesses.

I wonder if anyone involved in disassembling and torching Charli's vehicle has come forward.

So little factual information. Any locals out there willing to answer some of these recent questions providing it doesn't compromise investigation?
Speculation/gossip-wise.......the Steven Capobianco (impersonator) and the Crabapple Jones pages are intriguing. I can't access The Unofficial Breakdown page today.
Thank you, Nikki, for your perspective on the removal of Charli's clothing.

So little factual information. Any locals out there willing to answer some of these recent questions providing it doesn't compromise investigation?
Speculation/gossip-wise.......the Steven Capobianco (impersonator) and the Crabapple Jones pages are intriguing. I can't access The Unofficial Breakdown page today.
Thank you, Nikki, for your perspective on the removal of Charli's clothing.

Which impersonator are you referencing? I've seen the crabapple and the unofficial breakdown. What's the other one?

I can't imagine a used set of wheels and tires for a FourRunner would have been sold anywhere but on the island where they were stolen from their vehicle.

Seems to me good detective work could locate them in pretty short time.

Which impersonator are you referencing? I've seen the crabapple and the unofficial breakdown. What's the other one?

The impersonator site is called Steven Capobianco. SC's FB page is named Chunk o'butter.

The impersonator site is called Steven Capobianco. SC's FB page is named Chunk o'butter.

Found it. It's his name then actually says "impersonator".
Someone is really taunting him. The sis has "liked" a few posts. She is awesome.
The Unofficial Breakdown page is gone.

Maybe they finally processed her truck and got some good forensics out of it as well. May she rest in peace. Justice is coming for her killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maktub