GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Ghostweel and MauiJen. I appreciate you answers. It helps with trying to understand an area and the people.

Yes, the road was resurfaced many years ago and it is pretty smooth the whole way except for that one stretch on the back side. But we don't have 4x4 and when we go to Hana, we ALWAYS go the back way home (through Kaupo), never retracing our route backwards along Hana Hwy (unless we only went partway, but if we go all the way into Hana or to Kipahulu, it's the back way home).

However, just to clarify, the back side from Hana on around to the south side of Maui won't end up in Wailea / Kihei. It looks like it should from a map and you are right there within just a few miles from there, but it ends up in Kula (above Kihei / Wailea). If you want to get back to the Kihei / Wailea area, you have to drive all the way through Kula and then back down Haleakala Hwy, through Kahului, and then into Kihei from the North end again.
I can only say we made it there at that time,and came in at Wailea. Right behind a 2wd vehicle. We did not go through Kula. I can even see the dirt road we took on Google maps. Of course, we were given specific instructions by a local, whom we rented the jeep from. Point being, it can be done, and if it can be done by a non-islander, it can certainly be done by an islander.

ETA: Removed comment that was wrong, I got my island sides mixed up for that one.

When Exbf refers to Twin Falls, does he mean the place where there is the Twin Falls farm stand, and the falls you can hike to? (Awesome place, BTW) That is the only place I can think of and it is only about 5 miles from where her car was found. (If I have my map right)

Yes, the road was resurfaced many years ago and it is pretty smooth the whole way except for that one stretch on the back side. But we don't have 4x4 and when we go to Hana, we ALWAYS go the back way home (through Kaupo), never retracing our route backwards along Hana Hwy (unless we only went partway, but if we go all the way into Hana or to Kipahulu, it's the back way home).

However, just to clarify, the back side from Hana on around to the south side of Maui won't end up in Wailea / Kihei. It looks like it should from a map and you are right there within just a few miles from there, but it ends up in Kula (above Kihei / Wailea). If you want to get back to the Kihei / Wailea area, you have to drive all the way through Kula and then back down Haleakala Hwy, through Kahului, and then into Kihei from the North end again.

I heard Oprah has her own private road that cuts through. Do you know if that's true?

I also noticed the "bad area" comment but was not sure if he was possibly attempting to make it known to the interviewer that he was "knowledgeable" about the area.

Then again, if he was aware of stolen cars in the general area, then why was he not concerned when he didn't see her behind him anymore.

In general I heard a lot of basic self-centeredness throughout the entire interview.

There seems to be a disconnect, or at least a total lack of understanding that to have a good relationship you need to pay attention to the person that you are with. He doesn't remember how long they have been seeing each other, doesn't know details, and doesn't seem to care much about the relationship.

The level of detail and concern one should be able to get across during an interview about a person that is, someone who has spent so much time with you, the mother of your unborn child, and now is missing ,is extremely lacking in my opinion.

Consider what would be normal for a person who has been in a relationship with another person, even if it has been an on-again off-again one for the length of 5 years or so that those two have been together, and especially if one is going to become a new father in a few short months.

It also does not mean that he is responsible for her disappearance. But it sure does make my hinky meter go into the red zone.

And from what he was told, "his child" is also missing.

I also noticed the "bad area" comment but was not sure if he was possibly attempting to make it known to the interviewer that he was "knowledgeable" about the area.

Then again, if he was aware of stolen cars in the general area, then why was he not concerned when he didn't see her behind him anymore.

In general I heard a lot of basic self-centeredness throughout the entire interview.

There seems to be a disconnect, or at least a total lack of understanding that to have a good relationship you need to pay attention to the person that you are with. He doesn't remember how long they have been seeing each other, doesn't know details, and doesn't seem to care much about the relationship.

The level of detail and concern one should be able to get across during an interview about a person that is, someone who has spent so much time with you, the mother of your unborn child, and now is missing ,is extremely lacking in my opinion.

Consider what would be normal for a person who has been in a relationship with another person, even if it has been an on-again off-again one for the length of 5 years or so that those two have been together, and especially if one is going to become a new father in a few short months.

It also does not mean that he is responsible for her disappearance. But it sure does make my hinky meter go into the red zone.

Yeah he is coming off as the laid back "dude. And the many past tense statements about her. So sad.

I heard Oprah has her own private road that cuts through. Do you know if that's true?

Yes, that is true. It's actually not her road, it's a private road through Haleakala Ranch (that's the dirt road that might show up on Google Maps between Kula Hwy and Wailea). It's not accessible to the public. It is gated at the top and bottom with locks and I've heard there are several other gates along the road. A few years ago Oprah paid the ranch like $80,000 or something for access to it, plus paid to have all of the work done to regrade the road, have it widened, and paved so she could use it to get between her 2 houses (I think she has 1 in Kula and 1 in Makena) without having to drive all the way around. I think all together it cost her like $250,000

When Exbf refers to Twin Falls, does he mean the place where there is the Twin Falls farm stand, and the falls you can hike to? (Awesome place, BTW) That is the only place I can think of and it is only about 5 miles from where her car was found. (If I have my map right)

Yes, that's the Twin Falls he means.

I am still looking for more accurate locations, but here is a map I am working on. If anyone has more specific locations, please let me know.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=217392837830814032642.0004f27c34f418f269993&msa=0

That looks good to me. Although her car was probably found closer to the ocean at Jaws. Not sure if that matters. You have it in the right vicinity.

Evidence was found at Honomanu Bay. I don't think we've had official word yet on which evidence was found there though. (the clothing? her shoes? her valuables? all of these things have been reported to have been found, but nobody has officially confirmed where). I will see if I can find some confirmation of what was found there.

There was the photo posted on MauiWatch by the volunteer (I believe it was taken down) of the clothing that was found, that person said they found it at the end of Oili Rd, which is very close to the entrance to Jaws. But this has not been confirmed and the family asked that person to take down the photo and information. The family seems concerned that someone could be moving evidence.

That looks good to me. Although her car was probably found closer to the ocean at Jaws. Not sure if that matters. You have it in the right vicinity.

Evidence was found at Honomanu Bay. I don't think we've had official word yet on which evidence was found there though. (the clothing? her shoes? her valuables? all of these things have been reported to have been found, but nobody has officially confirmed where). I will see if I can find some confirmation of what was found there.

There was the photo posted on MauiWatch by the volunteer (I believe it was taken down) of the clothing that was found, that person said they found it at the end of Oili Rd, which is very close to the entrance to Jaws. But this has not been confirmed and the family asked that person to take down the photo and information. The family seems concerned that someone could be moving evidence.
Thanks. If anyone can get a better location on the car, that would be great. I was just going by the topography in the area and looking for a large dirt area where cars would be. And I added the evidence location at Nuaʻailua Bay from your next post.

I've set up a Resource Thread here: HI HI - RESOURCE THREAD - Carly Joann Scott, 27, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I am going to copy a few posts over and then it will be up to you guys to post info there. It is a list only, NO DISCUSSION thread where you can post maps, timelines, links to MSM or LE reports for future reference. It also makes it a little easier to find info.

Salem
Drat, I just did that. Can you move my posts, please?

Thanks. Since you live there, MauiWatch is a reputable news, right? Because they are reporting that the sister took the clothes to LE, per "sources." The other news didn't say this. They also let pics of evidence on their fb. Just curious what is real and not. In my town, we have local news that are not reputable. Just curious.
I don't live there. I have been there and knew the area fairly well 8 years ago, but not like current locals do. I believe MauiJen is a local. Here is another article that IMPLIES that evidence might have been moved by someone trying to help BBM:
http://mauinow.com/2014/02/14/police-evidence-recovered-in-case-of-missing-charli-scott/

“We are asking anyone who is assisting in the search to call the department if they find any suspicious items; however, please do not touch, move, or recover the item as it may be evidence in this case or another case that the department is investigating,” said Lt. Juan.

I don't live there. I have been there and knew the area fairly well 8 years ago, but not like current locals do. I believe MauiJen is a local. Here is another article that IMPLIES that evidence might have been moved by someone trying to help BBM:
http://mauinow.com/2014/02/14/police-evidence-recovered-in-case-of-missing-charli-scott/

“We are asking anyone who is assisting in the search to call the department if they find any suspicious items; however, please do not touch, move, or recover the item as it may be evidence in this case or another case that the department is investigating,” said Lt. Juan.

I've lived on 'Maui over 20 years. I trust Mauinow. They seem to report from other media sources. mauiwatch on Facebook is a good place if you want to hear the locals speculate. The family posts there often too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbelle