GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking the same thing about the cruise ship. I work every Sunday in Paia. ( the road to Hana ) most of the traffic is people from the ship. They leave for the Big Island on Monday evening. Before she was even reported missing. I wish they could question these people before they leave the ship in Honolulu.....

Is this in the wrong spot? It says 2000's missing, but this is recent right?

I hate hearing about pregnant women going missing, especially since I'm pregnant myself right now. I hope they are able to find her quickly.

Yes ongoing now, figured since it was 2014 I should put it in 2000, which somehow already seems ancient.

MauiJen - hoping you can help ... thanks!!!

How heavily traveled is this area of Hana Highway that late on a Sunday evening (9:30pm or so)?

Is it possible that Charli went to help her ex-bf and not a single car would have passed them during the short time they were at his truck (I believe he said about 10 minutes in his interview)?

Also, is hitchhiking very common? It is pretty common here and there's a lot of folks who think nothing of giving them rides. Maybe the ex-bf hitched a ride home after his truck broke down/got stuck. If so, then there would be someone who could verify his story I suppose.

Last question - would a tourist even notice a truck off the road, in a ditch or whatever? Like would it be the only one along the whole stretch of scenic highway? Does that make sense? Just thinking I wouldn't pay much attention to a local vehicle alongside the road here but if it was clearly stuck in a ditch, I'd at least look to see if someone was in it & roll my window down and see if they needed help.

Julieonmaui can answer these questions too. But, from my perspective, that area of Hana Hwy isn't that busy at that time of night. It hasn't been clear though if his truck was actually ON the Hana Hwy, or off on a little side road (I can see if he was broke down on a little side trail, he'd still describe it as being stuck on Hana Hwy). It's possible he was off on a side road and the traffic on the Hwy wouldn't see it. If he was actually on the Hwy though, and there for 10-15 minutes, there's a decent chance someone drove by them. If his truck was there for a day or 2 before they went out there to fix it, surely someone saw it. A LOT of people drive that road every day (I am sure there are statistics out there somewhere). Most tourists probably try to make it back before dark, but a lot of them underestimate how long it actually takes to get to Hana and they spend longer than they planned in Kipahulu, and if it gets dark on the drive back, they are likely driving super slow on the way back into town. It is DARK out there (no street lights, etc). So yeah, someone definitely could have seen them. But then again, it's also very possible that 10 minutes could go by and no cars pass. It's a tough one.

Hitch-hiking. Yes, there are hitch-hikers all over the island and they do get picked up. I know Charli and she's not stupid. She's sweet, but not stupid. I could see her stopping to pick up a female hitch-hiker at night, but I don't know too many females who would stop to pick up a male in that area at night. I wouldn't pick up any hitch-hiker (male or female) if I was alone. My husband and I have picked up hitch-hikers before on the road to hana though, but it's been couples who were obviously camping / backpacking.

There was a time when so many of our roads were littered with abandoned vehicles. We don't have a great way to dispose of vehicles once they die, and people sometimes can't afford to pay to have them recycled or whatever at the junkyard (for awhile we didn't even have an operating junkyard that would accept a dead car). It is an island, remember - we don't have an unlimited supply of land for things like that. So people would just abandon their vehicle on the side of the road when it died. This has improved significantly over the last few years. You don't see nearly as many cars on the side of the road. However, like I said, that area is frequented by hunters / fisherman, so sometimes you'll see those kinds of trucks pulled off the road. Or people are just hiking or whatever. I don't think the truck itself would draw much attention. But if they were there Sunday night working on it, someone might remember seeing that.

Julieonmaui can answer these questions too ...

You've both been so helpful! As soon as I submitted my post I realized I could've directed my questions at both of you ... thanks for taking the time to answer them. It helps me have a clearer picture in my mind.

I completely agree with mauijen. I heard from a friend who flies for the mpd and fire dept. that the exbf first stated his car was stuck in kaupo. Much different then his second story of keanae. Kaupo is past Hana. It would make sense if they went past keanae for her dog to end up in Nahiku. I really hope mpd puts pressure on this guy. I can't figure out how they let the ex bf of missing Mo leave the island. I know from her sister, Fiona, the family is frustrated with the police. She told me the only info they have is from their searches and investigations. The police are sharing nothing with her distraught family

From what I can tell based on photos of the search party posted on FB, it looks like the Kula search today is focusing on an area ocean side of Kula Highway (between Kula Hwy and Kihei), between Naalae Rd. and Calasa Rd. If you go to the Morey Inc FB page (they are heading up the search efforts), they have information. They thanked several individuals / landowners for opening up the gates along the ridge. One of the people thanked, William Jacinto, works for Maui Fire Dept - but I'm not sure if he's responding in that capacity or as a landowner. I think the MFD William Jacinto lives in Kihei, but there are a lot of Jacinto's on Maui, so it's possible his family has land in that area. This area is much more arid / dry and is mostly ranchland / farmland. Lots of horses. They're using more dirtbikes and horses today it looks like.

If you look up Naalae Rd. or Calasa Rd on Google Maps you can see where this is and how far it is in relationship to the other areas that have previously been searched.

There is still no official information on why they are searching this area. I have to think there is a reason to focus here specifically?

From what I can tell based on photos of the search party posted on FB, it looks like the Kula search today is focusing on an area ocean side of Kula Highway (between Kula Hwy and Kihei), between Naalae Rd. and Calasa Rd. If you go to the Morey Inc FB page (they are heading up the search efforts), they have information. They thanked several individuals / landowners for opening up the gates along the ridge. One of the people thanked, William Jacinto, works for Maui Fire Dept - but I'm not sure if he's responding in that capacity or as a landowner. I think the MFD William Jacinto lives in Kihei, but there are a lot of Jacinto's on Maui, so it's possible his family has land in that area. This area is much more arid / dry and is mostly ranchland / farmland. Lots of horses. They're using more dirtbikes and horses today it looks like.

If you look up Naalae Rd. or Calasa Rd on Google Maps you can see where this is and how far it is in relationship to the other areas that have previously been searched.

There is still no official information on why they are searching this area. I have to think there is a reason to focus here specifically?

That is no where near where the other searches are!

Why would the ex-bf be concerned about people hearing his voice on a tape recorded interview?

Maybe a local would be able to answer this.
It seems, from what I have read, that cell phone reception can be a problem in many areas on the island so the alternative is to use two-way radios for searches.
Do people use two-way radios just for regular communication since it may be more reliable than a cell phone?

The reason I'm asking and this is just a thought ......if one has a two-way radio and knows that people use them for general communication, can they then just surf the channels and "listen in" on other's conversations.

I know from personal experience that you can do that with a citizens band (CB) radio if you are in range, but I'm not sure if two-way radios work the same way. I also know that where I live, up until just a few years ago, the police received their calls via radio from dispatch and if you had a scanner you could pick up their calls, as well as local fire and rescue squad. A lot of the criminal types had them and would know when it was time to get out of dodge so they didn't get caught.

extrapolating that thought.....Is it possible that someone may have "heard" something the night she disappeared and would be able to recognize a voice?

It is just so strange a request and makes me wonder why.:banghead:

Combine that with his quote about how he and Charli "lived together in a 3 bedroom house for a minute" and the fact he had to confirm with another person how long they were together (2 or 3 years) = flaky, hinky at best, IMO of course.

He does sound like he really wasn't that into her. Makes me worry about him being attached to her for the next 18 years because of a child. He sounds so cavalier about their relationship. Obviously it was over.

As difficult as it can be to drive Hana Hwy during the day, I imagine it's a lot harder at night. One of the most beautiful drives I've ever taken in my life but slow and careful. When I took it, it was so busy and so many cars were pulled aside to see the different waterfalls, I wouldn't have known a ditched car vs one the sightseers parked there. Besides, I was busy watching the road, watching the cars and taking my turn crossing one lane bridges.

All I can remember from the road to Hana is that it is beautiful but super jarring to your insides! Granted, this was about 25 yrs ago so maybe it has improved?

That text-only interview is fairly interesting. I'm glad others are noticing this.

On one hand, you have the fact that the self-admitted number one suspect was willing to share his side of the story with the media. This openness is fairly uncommon with the perp. Is this a genuine effort to clear himself, or confidence in his alibi and ability to destroy evidence?

Still, the no-voice is odd. Maybe he has a distinctive voice? Maybe when he was covering up his involvement in the disappearance someone heard him talking to a co-conspirator? Maybe someone overheard him near the scene of the torched car and he is preventing them from putting 2 and 2 together?

I also don't like how the ex put in his own theory of the case in the interview. Suggesting that she was in a bad area and was carjacked is a CLEAR AS DAY means of taking the heat off of him. I'm going to be following this one.

Why would the ex-bf be concerned about people hearing his voice on a tape recorded interview?

It seems, from what I have read, that cell phone reception can be a problem in many areas on the island so the alternative is to use two-way radios for searches.
Do people use two-way radios just for regular communication since it may be more reliable than a cell phone?

The reason I'm asking and this is just a thought ......if one has a two-way radio and knows that people use them for general communication, can they then just surf the channels and "listen in" on other's conversations.

I know from personal experience that you can do that with a citizens band (CB) radio if you are in range, but I'm not sure if two-way radios work the same way. I also know that where I live, up until just a few years ago, the police received their calls via radio from dispatch and if you had a scanner you could pick up their calls, as well as local fire and rescue squad. A lot of the criminal types had them and would know when it was time to get out of dodge so they didn't get caught.

extrapolating that thought.....Is it possible that someone may have "heard" something the night she disappeared and would be able to recognize a voice?

It is just so strange a request and makes me wonder why.:banghead:
BBM: Definitely yes. I do it all the time. On a standard FRS/GMRS radio, there are x stations and x "privacy codes". For example, there is channel 1 with privacy code 1,2,3 etc. Anyone listening on just 1, hears everyone on channel 1 no matter the privacy code. People on channel 1 privacy code 2, will not hear channel 1 privacy code 1,3,4,5 etc. "Privacy codes" offer no protection from eavesdropping. They are only intended to break the channel into smaller subchannels for ease of filtering out too much chatter.

All I can remember from the road to Hana is that it is beautiful but super jarring to your insides! Granted, this was about 25 yrs ago so maybe it has improved?
I was there 8 years ago and the road wasn't jarring at all, just very serpentine and narrow. Even the dirt road on the south side coming back into Kihei past Wailea was passable for a 2wd (although we had a 4wd). But that was in September, and we'd only had a couple of overnight rainstorms. As a non-islander, I always noticed when someone was parked on the side of the road, because it was so narrow in many places. I noticed if it made sense for someone to be there or not (as in, was there something to see or was there space made to put cars).

I personally am not familiar with 2-way radios. But I know that a lot of hunters & fishermen around here do use them because they're in areas without cell phone reception, so they use them to communicate with the other people in their group.

Edited to add: But I don't think the general population use them for regular communication. If you're in the populated areas, there's typically really good cell reception. It's mostly just bad in the unpopulated areas of the island.

Because I'm new to WS, I'm not sure how much I can say about the exbf? I'm not sure about the rules here, so someone tell me if this is all OK or not.

{deleted earlier comment about exbf. I don't think it was appropriate for this forum} I will just say that I don't think it very likely the exbf uses a 2-way radio on a regular basis.

I have no idea why he was concerned about not wanting his voice played. His name has been very public and it's a small enough island that we've all figured out who he is, where he lives, where he works, what car he drives, etc. If you live here and don't know him yourself, you know someone who does. It's just the way it is here. My only thought is that maybe he didn't understand that they could transcribe the conversation word for word? Who knows.

Where are the doors?
The car looks stripped. IMO, whatever happened to Charli, happened elsewhere, the car was brought to the location found, stripped, then torched. I would also be inclined to think the car was found elsewhere by whomever stripped it , and that person had nothing to do with Charli.

I would also be inclined to think that any person who would speed up when someone else was following him, who would not make sure a pregnant woman made it home, a woman who came out in the dark to help him, does not deserve to be called a man. I have some other terminology that I think fits better. But that is MOO.

I was there 8 years ago and the road wasn't jarring at all, just very serpentine and narrow. Even the dirt road on the south side coming back into Kihei past Wailea was passable for a 2wd (although we had a 4wd). But that was in September, and we'd only had a couple of overnight rainstorms. As a non-islander, I always noticed when someone was parked on the side of the road, because it was so narrow in many places. I noticed if it made sense for someone to be there or not (as in, was there something to see or was there space made to put cars).

Yes, the road was resurfaced many years ago and it is pretty smooth the whole way except for that one stretch on the back side. But we don't have 4x4 and when we go to Hana, we ALWAYS go the back way home (through Kaupo), never retracing our route backwards along Hana Hwy (unless we only went partway, but if we go all the way into Hana or to Kipahulu, it's the back way home).

However, just to clarify, the back side from Hana on around to the south side of Maui won't end up in Wailea / Kihei. It looks like it should from a map and you are right there within just a few miles from there, but it ends up in Kula (above Kihei / Wailea). If you want to get back to the Kihei / Wailea area, you have to drive all the way through Kula and then back down Haleakala Hwy, through Kahului, and then into Kihei from the North end again.

I also noticed the "bad area" comment but was not sure if he was possibly attempting to make it known to the interviewer that he was "knowledgeable" about the area.

Then again, if he was aware of stolen cars in the general area, then why was he not concerned when he didn't see her behind him anymore.

In general I heard a lot of basic self-centeredness throughout the entire interview.

There seems to be a disconnect, or at least a total lack of understanding that to have a good relationship you need to pay attention to the person that you are with. He doesn't remember how long they have been seeing each other, doesn't know details, and doesn't seem to care much about the relationship.

The level of detail and concern one should be able to get across during an interview about a person that is, someone who has spent so much time with you, the mother of your unborn child, and now is missing ,is extremely lacking in my opinion.

Consider what would be normal for a person who has been in a relationship with another person, even if it has been an on-again off-again one for the length of 5 years or so that those two have been together, and especially if one is going to become a new father in a few short months.

It also does not mean that he is responsible for her disappearance. But it sure does make my hinky meter go into the red zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kezzx