GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
HI! Sorry, I guess you guys were waiting for me. Do you have specific questions about the ex BF for me? I don't know much, but I might be able to answer them now that the mods have approved us to discuss him.

I'm hesitant to say much because this is the community where I live and work.

I don't know him personally and have never met him. But someone very close to me knows him. So a lot of this is coming from them (Is that still OK to share? It's not necessarily my own opinion...someone clarify and let me know if I need to delete. I'm so new here I'm not completely clear on these things). Anyway, what I understand is that he works at Mana Foods in Paia (a natural food store - we shop there quite a bit, but so does every super granola "hippie" on Maui). Maui has it's own subculture of hippie, I don't know how to really explain this without sounding like I'm downing them. I'm not. I get the idea Stephen might fall into the fringe of that group). I've heard he's vegan. I've heard he's very non-confrontational, even when provoked. Apparently, him saying "everyone on the island loves me" is pretty true - it sounds like most of the people who know him well can't believe he'd be capable of hurting anyone. He's quite a bit smaller framed than Charli. I hear he smokes A LOT of pot (but so do quite a few people here - this does not mean he does any other type of drug). So I don't know. Other than that interview where he just sounds like a horrible person, it doesn't seem like his personality fits with someone who would do this.

But I get that most likely it is him. And I really, really hope LE is doing more than we all here on Maui have the impression they're doing in investigating him.

I have to head out for a few hours. I assume if this post needs to be deleted, a mod can delete it??

Mauijen did you hear the question asked last night at the KCA meeting about the truck? What I took from that discussion was that SC had borrowed the truck that Sunday. The owner of the truck contacted MPD to have them come take it for evidence processing and still haven't heard back from the police. Beyond frustrating.

HI! Sorry, I guess you guys were waiting for me. Do you have specific questions about the ex BF for me? I don't know much, but I might be able to answer them now that the mods have approved us to discuss him.

I don't know him personally and have never met him. But someone very close to me knows him. So a lot of this is coming from them (Is that still OK to share? It's not necessarily my own opinion...someone clarify and let me know if I need to delete. I'm so new here I'm not completely clear on these things). Anyway, what I understand is that he works at Mana Foods in Paia (a natural food store - we shop there quite a bit, but so does every super granola "hippie" on Maui). Maui has it's own subculture of hippie, I don't know how to really explain this without sounding like I'm downing them. I'm not. I get the idea Stephen might fall into the fringe of that group). I've heard he's vegan. I've heard he's very non-confrontational, even when provoked. Apparently, him saying "everyone on the island loves me" is pretty true - it sounds like most of the people who know him well can't believe he'd be capable of hurting anyone. He's quite a bit smaller framed than Charli. I hear he smokes A LOT of pot (but so do quite a few people here - this does not mean he does any other type of drug). So I don't know. Other than that interview where he just sounds like a horrible person, it doesn't seem like his personality fits with someone who would do this.

But I get that most likely it is him. And I really, really hope LE is doing more than we all here on Maui have the impression they're doing in investigating him.

I have to head out for a few hours. I assume if this post needs to be deleted, a mod can delete it??

Mahalo, MauiJen, I was wondering if he was smaller than Charli. Do you know if he surfs or has access to a boat?

Very, very sad for Charli's family. Though LE are still calling this a missing person's case, I have had a terrible feeling re: this case from the very beginning. While LE are not calling SC a suspect -only a POI- at this time, if he did indeed harm Charlie, it could have gone like this, IMO:

1. SC calls Charli. Tells her he is having some kind of car trouble (I'm not sure what kind, & SC seems pretty confused as well since he says -in a single interview!- "my truck that I got stuck," "I had extra light tools" & then finally "in case my truck broke down") & to pick him up from his home (IMO, he didn't have a cell w/ him when his truck supposedly broke down because he didn't want to be tracked via 'phone, just in case he was to become a suspect -yes, I believe this was very much premeditated- & that is why he had to wait until he was home to call her).

2. I have not seen anything to indicate Charli told anyone prior to leaving her sister's house exactly where SC's truck was (MSM has even said, "Mile marker 20 on the Hana Highway was one of the last spots where Charli was seen," but this is according to SC only. No official word from LE to confirm this). I believe SC had driven to & parked his truck in Jaws -specifically, a spot near where Charli's SUV would eventually be found- earlier in the day & was given a ride home by an accomplice (Charli's mom: "(Charli's friends) said that on a hunch because of where Steven lives, they decided to go down there and look and they found her car." Others have indicated Haiku -where SC lives- is pretty close to Jaws as well.)

3. Once Charli picks him up, SC informs her his truck is in the Jaws area & gives her directions. Once there, they both get out of her SUV, leaving Nala inside it, supposedly to work on his truck, but then he attacks her (perhaps SC even had a rope in his hand, supposedly to tow the truck w/). SC has the same accomplice waiting for them there to assist him in the attack & the aftermath (e.g., putting the rope, etc. in a garbage bag, preparing the body for disposal, etc.). Once Charli is gone, SC moves Nala into his truck because most of the "dirty work" is done inside the SUV (thus burning it later to get rid of evidence).

4. I don't think he would've driven around the island w/ her body in a vehicle (the longer he has it, the more risk of being discovered). Is the spot where Charli's SUV was found close enough to the ocean that two people could carry & throw a body -say, wrapped in a tarp, secured with duct tape- directly into the ocean? Perhaps the body was driven in Charli's SUV to the northern edge of Jaws, at which time it was pushed off of a cliff?

5. At this point, SC -along w/ Nala ... who is fairly comfortable w/ SC because of his on-and-off relationship w/ Charli- leaves in his truck to go for a drive along the Hana Highway. He makes sure to toss Charlie's cell 'phone out at MM20 because that is where he intends to tell everyone Charlie was should he become a suspect (& that's where the last ping from her cell came from as far as we know). SC seems to have made MUCH effort (e.g., removing clothing from the body solely for the purpose of placing it somewhere away from the actual crime scene) in his attempt to throw LE off by scattering various evidence at multiple locations along the Highway. Finally, he drops Nala off near a shop in Hana, where she would be found in a matter of few hours. He had no reason to kill her because -unlike Charli ...- he had no animosity toward her. This was not a crime of opportunity, IMO.

6. SC returns home (where he had left his cell 'phone ... now, he finally sends a text to Charlie's cell). In the meantime, his accomplice has been stripping parts off of Charli's SUV. One of the mysteries re: this case to me has been why the SUV was found on its side. So I did some research & found this "device":

"Fixed-Height, Standard-Model Rotisserie lets you rotate body/frame assembly a full 360 degrees, and lock it in at any position"

http://www.eastwood.com/resto-rotisserie-standard-model-unpainted.html

Perhaps the accomplice had something like this with him/her, & SC let him/her keep the parts for helping him ....

7. Once he/she is done, the accomplice sets the SUV on fire & then leaves the scene.

Ugh, I just now realized ...: I think Charli had her cell w/ her, so under this scenario, LE would be able to tell she went to Jaws before her 'phone ending up at MM20 ... hmm ....

Very interesting. This sounds like the polar opposite of the impression I got from the interview, which was a complete pompous jerk & someone who thinks he is smarter than everyone else (women in particular ... or maybe just Charli ...) & is above the law.

Sounds like a psychopath, IMO.

Mahalo, MauiJen, I was wondering if he was smaller than Charli. Do you know if he surfs or has access to a boat?

Hi and welcome to Websleuths Kapau! I noticed your post the other day and was wondering if by any chance you are also from Maui ... thanks for joining in this thread discussion!!

Hi and welcome to Websleuths Kapau! I noticed your post the other day and was wondering if by any chance you are also from Maui ... thanks for joining in this thread discussion!!

Aloha kapua. Welcome also. Are you here on Maui? Any insights you'd like to share?

Mauijen did you hear the question asked last night at the KCA meeting about the truck? What I took from that discussion was that SC had borrowed the truck that Sunday. The owner of the truck contacted MPD to have them come take it for evidence processing and still haven't heard back from the police. Beyond frustrating.

Borrowed the truck the day she went missing! Ruh-roh! Have any of you been following Hailey Owen's case. Her murderer borrowed a truck from a relative that was used in yesterday's kidnapping and subsequent murder.

Very, very sad for Charli's family. Though LE are still calling this a missing person's case, I have had a terrible feeling re: this case from the very beginning. While LE are not calling SC a suspect -only a POI- at this time, if he did indeed harm Charlie, it could have gone like this, IMO:

1. SC calls Charli. Tells her he is having some kind of car trouble (I'm not sure what kind, & SC seems pretty confused as well since he says -in a single interview!- "my truck that I got stuck," "I had extra light tools" & then finally "in case my truck broke down") & to pick him up from his home (IMO, he didn't have a cell w/ him when his truck supposedly broke down because he didn't want to be tracked via 'phone, just in case he was to become a suspect -yes, I believe this was very much premeditated- & that is why he had to wait until he was home to call her).

2. I have not seen anything to indicate Charli told anyone prior to leaving her sister's house exactly where SC's truck was (MSM has even said, "Mile marker 20 on the Hana Highway was one of the last spots where Charli was seen," but this is according to SC only. No official word from LE to confirm this). I believe SC had driven to & parked his truck in Jaws -specifically, a spot near where Charli's SUV would eventually be found- earlier in the day & was given a ride home by an accomplice (Charli's mom: "(Charli's friends) said that on a hunch because of where Steven lives, they decided to go down there and look and they found her car." Others have indicated Haiku -where SC lives- is pretty close to Jaws as well.)

3. Once Charli picks him up, SC informs her his truck is in the Jaws area & gives her directions. Once there, they both get out of her SUV, leaving Nala inside it, supposedly to work on his truck, but then he attacks her (perhaps SC even had a rope in his hand, supposed to tow the truck w/). SC has the same accomplice waiting for them there to assist him in the attack & the aftermath (e.g., putting the rope, etc. in a garbage bag, preparing the body for disposal, etc.). Once Charli is gone, SC moves Nala into his truck because most of the "dirty work" is done inside the SUV (thus burning it later to get rid of evidence).

4. I don't think he would've driven around the island w/ her body in a vehicle (the longer he has it, the more risk of being discovered). Is the spot where Charli's SUV was found close enough to the ocean that two people could carry & throw a body -say, wrapped in a tarp, secured with duct tape- directly into the ocean? Perhaps the body was driven in Charli's SUV to the northern edge of Jaws, at which time it was pushed off of a cliff?

5. At this point, SC -along w/ Nala ... who is fairly comfortable w/ SC because of his on-and-off relationship w/ Charli- leaves in his truck to go for a drive along the Hana Highway. He makes sure to toss Charlie's cell 'phone out at MM20 because that is where he intends to tell everyone Charlie was should he become a suspect (& that's where the last ping from her cell came from as far as we know). SC seems to have made MUCH effort (e.g., removing clothing from the body solely for the purpose of placing it somewhere away from the actual crime scene) in his attempt to throw LE off by scattering various evidence at multiple locations along the Highway. Finally, he drops Nala off near a shop in Hana, where she would be found in a matter of few hours. He had no reason to kill her because -unlike Charlie ...- he had no animosity toward her. This was not a crime of opportunity, IMO.

6. SC returns home (where he had left his cell 'phone ... now, he finally sends a text to Charlie's cell). In the meantime, his accomplice has been stripping parts off of Charlie's SUV. One of the mysteries re: this case to me has been why the SUV was found on its side. So I did some research & found this "device":

"Fixed-Height, Standard-Model Rotisserie lets you rotate body/frame assembly a full 360 degrees, and lock it in at any position"

http://www.eastwood.com/resto-rotisserie-standard-model-unpainted.html

Perhaps the accomplice had something like this with him/her, & SC let him/her keep the parts for helping him ....

7. Once he/she is done, the accomplice sets the SUV on fire & then leaves the scene.

Ugh, I just now realized ...: I think Charlie had her cell w/ her, so under this scenario, LE would be able to tell she went to Jaws before her 'phone ending up at MM20 ... hmm ....

Nice post!! It would make sense that Charli might have gone along with giving SB a ride to the Jaws area after dark far more than it would have if he would have told her it was broken down at mile maker #20 so far away.

I don't believe one word of SC's story, so I put zero faith in where he says his truck was disabled and where he says they drove. Her sister said that she was going to pick him up at his house. Is there a truck, and if so, where it is? Has LE searched it?

He would not have to worry too much about being seen anywhere along Hana Hwy. at night. It's a rural area, a winding road, no lights.

If the perpetrator burned her SUV to destroy evidence, then it’s highly possible that the SUV was used to transport her body to wherever it was dumped. That, unfortunately, could be anywhere in east Maui. My understanding is that the burned SUV was found not far from SC’s house. Could he have walked home after burning the vehicle?

I would like to know at what time SC was seen the morning after Charli disappeared. How much time elapsed between the phone call to Charli, and the next time SC was seen?

Please note:

It's okay for locals to mention what they've seen first hand, but second hand information is considered rumor and not allowed.

If someone who is close to this case tells you something, please encourage them to join Websleuths and consider becoming a verified insider. :tyou:

Mahalo

Hi, SunsetGirl, no I am not from Maui, but my friends live in Haiku and I have spent quite a bit of time there. When I visit my friends, we always go to Hana and then back to Haiku following the road through Kipahulu, Kaupo, Ulupalakua, Makawao, and then back to Haiku. So I'm pretty familiar with the area.

Just FYI, I looked up the tide situation for the night Charli went missing to satisfy my own curiosity. The nearest records I could find were for Kahului to the west of Haiku and Hana to the east:

Kahului
Low tide at 5:22 pm, Feb 9
High tide at 1:04 am, Feb 10

Hana
Low tide 5:40 pm, Feb 9
High tide 1:44 am, Feb 10

Source: http://www.hawaiitides.com/MauiTides.asp

So the tide was coming in that night. Not a good time to dump a body from the shore, unless you waited until about 2:00 am. I guess the tide wouldn't matter as much if you put the body on a boat and took it out to sea.

Time Line according to Police (taken from press conference by MPD video shown in News Report by Maui News.
Source: http://mauinow.com/2014/02/18/maui-police-hold-press-conference-on-missing-persons-cases/

Note: This is not an exact transcript, and unless in quotes, has been paraphrased.

Information given on Missing Persons - Part 1 [starting at time mark 4:09 to 5:37]
Feb 10th KS (Mother) reported CS, age 27 (her daughter) missing.

Feb 9th CS was last seen at her sister’s resident at approximately 8:00pm in Ha’iku.

CS is 5 month pregnant.

CS vehicle is a Silver 1997 Toyota 4-runner. Plate #MDE889 was with her at the time she was reported missing.

Feb 12th CS vehicle was located at the Pianna area (???spelling). Was located burnt as if had been torched by someone, but positively has been identified as belong to her [Sec. CS].

Feb 13th Private search party located clothing and personal items, indentified by family members as belonging to SC. Items have been recovered by Police and have been submitted for processing.

No evidence that the two cases [Sec. Monsalve & Scott] are linked, except that they are both females, and both last seen by ex-boyfriends.

Information of interest regarding SC and in general on Missing Persons - Part 2

FBI has been contacted and they are discussing what [Sec. MPD] needs to do to have them involved.

MPD Definition of Persons of interest and Suspect,
POI -“ is someone that they need to talk to, need more information from, would like to get more information from. “
Suspect – “is someone we believe had involvement, have evidence or probable cause that they have involvement in the case.”

No suspects at this point in time.

Both women are still listed as a Missing Persons Case and when they have evidence that a crime has been committed they will inform the family first, then the public and go from there.

They are also investigating all rumors to see if there is validity to anything.

Information of interest regarding SC and in general on Missing Persons - Part 3

Questions regarding the interview and polygraph of SC, and evidence collected in the Scott case.
Q. Is SC claims that he voluntary went to police regarding CS being missing.
A. “We [Sec.MPD] did talk to him [Sec. SC]and we did interview him and yes he did voluntary co-operate to that extent.”
Q. Did he [Sec. SC] pass or fail?
A. “Will not go into specific details of what was said or what happen during the interview because it could jeopardize the investigation so at this point in time it is going to be kept to us.”
Q. “This information, although it is not officially coming from you [Sec. MPD], but knowing some of the evidence collected, such as packing tape, teeth, blood on the clothing, Steven’s ????? (Can’t understand what is said - Start Mark time 1:42) on the clothing that has been identified as belong to Scott what would it take for the status to change of Missing Person.”
A. “Would have to be able to connect that evidence found with the missing person beyond someone just saying that it is similar or like the clothing.”

None of the evidence presents or suggests that this is a serial killing.

Materials are being processed in house and sent out for further testing.

As information comes up [Sec. MPD] we are in contact with one family member.

Canine dogs were involved in the Wi’poli (???? Spelling. Could not make out what was said I most likely have this very wrong) Road search.

My apologies for my not getting the local names spelled correctly.

Not that I think the cases are related at all, but it is quite disturbing how much these three women resemble each other. :eek:

chang-scott-monsalve.jpg

Q. “This information, although it is not officially coming from you [Sec. MPD], but knowing some of the evidence collected, such as packing tape, teeth, blood on the clothing, Steven’s ????? (Can’t understand what is said - Start Mark time 1:42) on the clothing that has been identified as belong to Scott what would it take for the status to change of Missing Person.”
A. “Would have to be able to connect that evidence found with the missing person beyond someone just saying that it is similar or like the clothing.”
[/I]

S&BBM

From Part 3 of your post: I was aware of duct tape, but teeth & blood????

I can help with Hawaiian words and place names. Carli's vehicle was found in the Peahi area. Canine dogs were used in the search on Waipoli Rd. (The dogs were used in the search for Moreira Monsalve.)

News to me as well. It was difficult to hear what the reporter was saying and I listened to that portion of the video about 20 times. I believe I got it right but would absolutely love for it to be wrong. Teeth and blood is not a good sign for her to be located alive. The other interesting thing was MPD did not confirm, deny or correct the list that the reporter said. Could this "evidence found" that the reported said be incorrect information?

I also noticed that in the very beginning of the portion of Part I where MPD starts talking specifically about CS that they said the last person to see her was her sister. They did not say the ex-boyfriend. That would lead me to believe, and this is just my opinion, that they may not be taking what the ex has says as reliable fact.

I can help with Hawaiian words and place names. Carli's vehicle was found in the Peahi area. Canine dogs were used in the search on Waipoli Rd. (The dogs were used in the search for Moreira Monsalve.)

Thank you. With no point of reference on how pronunciation relates to proper spelling I found it somewhat difficult to transcribe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayraeyn123