GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to keep posting this. I know its not all inclusive. helps me visualize. Please feel free to add/delete/correct/ etc..
No, it's great! Really thorough. Kudos!
I can see just a few minor corrections. I'm down with a fierce headache so the best I can do on my phone is reply with quote and put changes below if that's all right.

yep! I've read it so many times it's starting to blur together and I want to make sure it's right. It's been helpful I think.

Saturday 2/8 11-11:30 pm Steven returns home per Carlos Young

Sunday 2/9 6:15 am Steven leaves for work (truck was not stuck overnight as he says)
Sunday 2/9 throughout day, Charli attends work function, gives a haircut and attends get together at BS house.
Sunday 2/9 Steven tells Kurt kaiser his 4runner is at Mana Foods with him at work.
Sunday 2/9 8:15pm SC leaves his house (Casandra Kupstas) in his 4runner (Carlos Young)
Sunday 2/9 8:15pm Charlie leave BS house.
Sunday 2/9 Taylor Farner tries to contact SC with over 90 texts with no response.
Sunday 2/9 10:56pm last ping from Charli's phone at Nua'ailua (Paraquats).

Monday 2/10 Between midnight and 2:00am Taylor Farner meets SC in his white Ford at Hanzawa's.
Monday 2/10 2:30am CK gets a skype from SC.
Monday 2/10 7-7:30am Nala found clean at Nahiku Market Place by Albert Young. (Family does not have knowledge of this).
Monday 2/10 SC works at Mana Foods. 7am ?? to 3pm ??
Monday 2/10 SC shows up at the Makawao Kaiser home between 3-4:00pm to return a backpack KK also finds his cell phone. SC declines invitation to hang out because he "was in a hurry".
Monday 2/10 8:00pm after no return calls from Charli, KS texts family.
Monday evening KS and PW go to Charli's home.
Monday 2/10 10:00pm KS reports Charli missing
Monday 2/10 Adam and then wife go to Charli's home. She nor her 4runner is there.

Tuesday 2/11 Police show up at SC home to question if he's seen Charli. He is on skype with CK
Tuesday 2/11 Brooke Scott visits Steven at Mana foods @ 8:30am to ask questions. SC agrees to meet her at Kimberlyn's house at 3:30p and they drive in separate vehicles to drive Hana. They meet up Phaedra who joins Brooke in her car. Later that evening SC is asked by KS to give a timeline. KS allows SC to take Zoey
Tuesday 2/11 9:30 pm Adams Gaines receives info that Charli's truck may have been seen in Keanae. He and Steven drive there. Steven says he's already search Paraquats.

Wednesday 2/12 8:24 am Steven interview 1 with Det. Loo drove in his 4runner
Wednesday 2/12 11:22 am Steven interview 2 with Det Loo

Wednesday 2/12 sunset Steven goes home instead of going to jaws with Drew Kaiser
Wednesday 2/12 1:30am Phaedra and Adam pick up Zoey from Albert Young.

Thursday 2/13 Adam Gaines sees Steven with bleach washing his 4runner

Location1: Burnt car found at Jaws, Wednesday 2/12 evening.

Location 2: Thursday 2/13 found late morning
some 5 miles away from location 4 near Mile Marker 9-10 near Kaumahina State Wayside Park, Police were led to the makai shoulder of the roadway where a blood stained pair of Blue jeans were found by searchers.
Blue jeans found lying on top of bushes when Loo arrived.
Zip ties found near jeans. (Not processed)

Location 3: Thursday 2/13
drag marks near guard rail Mile Marker 18 (not photographed) steep drop off several 100 ft.

Location 4
Thursday 2/13 Evening getting dark
Nuaailua Bay, which is known as "Paraquats" beach Mile Marker 15.5 area
Phaedra found: Charli's clothing, a long black skirt with stab marks and a blue polka dot blouse.
a green blanket WITH MAGGOTS, Twilight DVD. (??shoes belonging to Charli??, reported but not in testimony)
BLACK pants and GREY hooded zip up jacket (that were not Charli's)
Masking tape
(This is the area SC told Brooke when the two of them drove Hana on Feb. 11th that he had already looked there)

Location 4
Next day Friday 2/14
gloves reported but not testified to
Pool of maggots
Scott's jawbone split in two, 6 feet apart,
clumps of her red hair,
pieces of skin,
a bra,
body piercing with flesh,
fingertips and nails of her right hand,

In March 2014, with $1,900 still owing, Pechin said he repossessed the vehicle from Capobianco, who drove it to Pechin's house. Pechin said he stored the 4Runner at his residence for "less than a week" before "the police took the vehicle for evidence." vehicle had been locked, except for the broken back window, which had a tarp and brick over it, Pechin said. He said items shown in a photograph of the console, including a piece of rope and red pepper spray canister, weren't his.
noted for myself.

Wailua Wayside Park, where Capobianco said he was picked up by the driver of the Toyota Corolla.
Fantastic, here are some thoughts on additions and minor corrections (from memory because can't check sources right now).

Saturday Feb 8: SC tells CK he will be working on friend's truck Sat night (this I am not sure of) and Sunday evening 2/9.
He gets home around 11:30 (Carlos Young). (Note: I wonder if he expected Young would be mixed up and confirm him coming home around 11 PM Sunday (told Loo) because of the Interaction the night before.)

Sunday 2/9: Carlos Young only sees him leave for work at 6:30 AM, nothing about him leaving at 8:15 that I saw, but could have missed it.

Tuesday 2/11: on way back to Haiku, Brooke and Phaedra checking spots and pull into road to Paraquat's, where they see SC's truck coming out. Says nothing down there, offers to take them, they decline. Both vehicles proceed to KS Haiku home.

Just before midnight, Adam, still with Steven, gets info (from Kim?) re Nala. AG and Fiona Wais go to Nahiku to get Nala, and SC says he goes home.

Wed. 2/12:
AG and FW pick up Nala (not Zoe).
After 4Runner found torched, KS tells SC to give Zoe back and not to turn up at any more searches.

The sunset decision to go to Peahi is Thursday, not Wed, is after the torched car found.

Pua question "Sunday 2/9: Carlos Young only sees him leave for work at 6:30 AM, nothing about him leaving at 8:15 that I saw, but could have missed it."

8:15 PM he left his house that evening

Re the shoes, I read somewhere recently that they were her slippers, flip flops that were found, not regular shoes. The police also searched the area Saturday 2/15, the female officer who reported stench of rotting flesh MAY have found them, pretty sure it was not Phaedra's group and Loo did not mention them either, but somewhere in there they were found.

There were three locations at Nua'ailua on Thursday, maybe a, b, c?
a) Twilight DVD near dirt road (PW)
b) tank top and skirt in grass and vegetation near road(MW, Max)
c) blanket, men's clothing items, two rolls tape, one empty, on river bank far side snagged on branches or sticks partially immersed (PW, Max, MW)

Gloves found, don't know if latex or fabric, can't remember who found them, anyone?

Pua question "Sunday 2/9: Carlos Young only sees him leave for work at 6:30 AM, nothing about him leaving at 8:15 that I saw, but could have missed it."

8:15 PM he left his house that evening
But the 8:15 time is not in Young's testimony reported by Maui News. I just this minute reread the article. Is there another article source? MN said Young recalled no details of Steven's comings or goings on Sunday night.

Saturday, 2/8 Steven tells CK he was going to go to work on a friend’s truck. In addition to working on a friend’s truck, Kupstas said she wrote down a timeline of her Skype
sessions with Capobianco, and found an entry that indicated he had gone to a party after. “He returned from the party at around 11 p.m. his time
(Hawaiʻitime),”said Kupstas
Saturday 2/8 11-11:30 pm Steven returns home per Carlos Young

Sunday 2/9 Kupstas skypes with Steven before he leaves for work.
Sunday 2/9 6:15 am Steven leaves for work (truck was not stuck overnight as he says)
Sunday 2/9 throughout day, Charli attends work function, gives a haircut and attends get together at BS house.
Sunday 2/9 Steven tells Kurt kaiser his 4runner is at Mana Foods with him at work.
Sunday 2/9 Kupstas Skypes with Steven after his work. One curious thing was that she questioned why Capobianco was taking a shower when he said he was going to fix a
car.
Sunday 2/9 8:15pm SC leaves his house (Casandra Kupstas) in his 4runner (Carlos Young)
Sunday 2/9 8:15pm Charlie leave BS house.
Sunday 2/9 Taylor Farner tries to contact SC with over 90 texts with no response.
Sunday 2/9 10:56pm last ping from Charli's phone at Nua'ailua (Paraquats).

Monday 2/10 Between midnight and 2:00am Taylor Farner meets SC in his white Ford at Hanzawa's.
Monday 2/10 2:30am CK gets a skype from SC.
Monday 2/10 7-7:30am Nala found clean at Nahiku Market Place by Albert Young. (Family does not have knowledge of this).
Monday 2/10 SC works at Mana Foods. 7am ?? to 3pm ??
Monday 2/10 SC shows up at the Makawao Kaiser home between 3-4:00pm to return a backpack KK also finds his cell phone. SC declines invitation to hang out because he "was in a hurry".
Monday 2/10 8:00pm after no return calls from Charli, KS texts family.
Monday evening KS and PW go to Charli's home.
Monday 2/10 10:00pm KS reports Charli missing
Monday 2/10 Adam and then wife go to Charli's home. She nor her 4runner is there.

Tuesday 2/11 Police show up at SC home to question if he's seen Charli. He is on skype with CK
Tuesday 2/11 8:30 am Brooke Scott visits Steven at Mana foods to ask questions. SC agrees to meet her at Kimberlyn's house at 3:30p and they drive in separate vehicles
to drive Hana. They meet up with Phaedra who joins Brooke in her car.
On way back to Haiku, Brooke and Phaedra checking spots and pull into road to Paraquat's, where they see SC's truck coming out. Says nothing down there,
offers to take them, they decline. Both vehicles proceed to KS Haiku home.
Later that evening SC is asked by KS to give a timeline. KS allows SC to take Zoey

Tuesday 2/11 9:30 pm Adams Gaines receives info that Charli's truck may have been seen in Keanae. He and Steven drive there. Steven says he's already search Paraquats.

Wednesday 2/12 8:24 am Steven interview 1 with Det. Loo drove in his 4runner
Wednesday 2/12 11:22 am Steven interview 2 with Det Loo
Wednesday 2/12 evening Charli's burnt truck found at Jaws.
Wednesday 2/12 sunset Steven goes home instead of going to jaws with Drew Kaiser
Wednesday 2/12 1:30am Phaedra and Adam pick up Nala from Albert Young.

Thursday 2/13 Adam Gaines sees Steven with bleach washing his 4runner while group is searching the area.

Location1: Burnt car found at Jaws, Wednesday 2/12 evening.

Location 2: Thursday 2/13 found late morning
some 5 miles away from location 4 near Mile Marker 9-10 near Kaumahina State Wayside Park, Police were led to the makai shoulder of the roadway where a blood stained pair of Blue jeans were found by searchers.
Blue jeans found lying on top of bushes when Loo arrived.
Zip ties found near jeans. (Not processed)

Location 3: Thursday 2/13
drag marks near guard rail Mile Marker 18 (not photographed) steep drop off several 100 ft.

Location 4
Thursday 2/13 Evening getting dark
Phaedra found: Charli's clothing, a long black skirt with stab marks and a blue polka dot blouse.
a green blanket WITH MAGGOTS, Twilight DVD. (??shoes belonging to Charli??, reported but not in testimony)
BLACK pants and GREY hooded zip up jacket (that were not Charli's)
Masking tape
(This is the area SC told Brooke when the two of them drove Hana on Feb. 11th that he had already looked there)

Location 4
Next day Friday 2/14
gloves reported but not testified to
Pool of maggots
Scott's jawbone split in two, 6 feet apart,
clumps of her red hair,
pieces of skin,
a bra,
body piercing with flesh,
fingertips and nails of her right hand,

In March 2014, with $1,900 still owing, Pechin said he repossessed the vehicle from Capobianco, who drove it to Pechin's house. Pechin said he stored the 4Runner at his residence for "less than a week" before "the police took the vehicle for evidence." vehicle had been locked, except for the broken back window, which had a tarp and brick over it, Pechin said. He said items shown in a photograph of the console, including a piece of rope and red pepper spray canister, weren't his.
noted for myself.

Wailua Wayside Park, where Capobianco said he was picked up by the driver of the Toyota Corolla.

Pua, sunset decision per this article was Wednesday. Did you see a different date?
http://mauinow.com/2016/08/11/kaiser-brothers-testify-in-capobianco-murder-trial/
"During the search for Scott on Wednesday, Feb. 12, 2014, Drew Kaiser testified that the sun was about to set when he went to check the Peʻahi or “Jaws” area. When he arrived it was dark and police were there investigating the discovery of Scott’s vehicle which was reportedly found burned and tipped on its side at the location that day."

But the 8:15 time is not in Young's testimony reported by Maui News. I just this minute reread the article. Is there another article source? MN said Young recalled no details of Steven's comings or goings on Sunday night.

Cass testified to this.

I feel like I accidentally deleted were I was combining Kapua's timeline with mine. I swear I had some things in there that I don't see now maybe I had the wrong one and added to it instead. Anyway, I wanted the timeline to be more of an at-a-glance visual to refer back to. More simple. But seeing that's tough to do with such pivotal information so please feel free chime in. Thanks all.

Sat. 2/8

SC told police in interview that he was bored and went out to Keanae to listen to his music. (Contradicts testimony from both Cassie K. and Carlos Young that he came home at 11.)

Sat. 2/8

SC told police in interview that he was bored and went out to Keanae to listen to his music. (Contradicts testimony from both Cassie K. and Carlos Young that he came home at 11.)

Yes, and didn't SC say he went out to Keanae around 11:00 pm? That ole 11:00 pops up a lot in his tales. :thinking: He's stuck on it.

The only way I'd believe SC was sincere in his "horror" in court when confronted with the pictures of Charli's jawbone, etc. is if he didn't do the butchering, but someone else took over for him.
Also, I wonder why only the fingertips of the right hand were cut off? Did the butcher just lash out with a knife/machete in the dark? If the pieces found were identifiers as many speculate then where are the fingertips of the left hand? Undiscovered? Not cut off?

Yes, and didn't SC say he went out to Keanae around 11:00 pm? That ole 11:00 pops up a lot in his tales. :thinking: He's stuck on it.

The only way I'd believe SC was sincere in his "horror" in court when confronted with the pictures of Charli's jawbone, etc. is if he didn't do the butchering, but someone else took over for him.
Also, I wonder why only the fingertips of the right hand were cut off? Did the butcher just lash out with a knife/machete in the dark? If the pieces found were identifiers as many speculate then where are the fingertips of the left hand? Undiscovered? Not cut off?

Yes, exactly MM, sorry I was not clear. CK and CY both testified that SC came home at 11 PM on 2/8 and SC told the police that he was bored and went for a ride out to Keanae at 11 PM on 2/8. He doesn't seem to know if he is coming or going. :laugh:

I really hate to think that there's another person twisted enough to help him.

Cass testified to this.
Right, but you had Albert Young noted after that too, and that's what I was questioning. Cass does not actually know, does she? She was told by SC? But I see no real cause for doubt on this one.

Yes, exactly MM, sorry I was not clear. CK and CY both testified that SC came home at 11 PM on 2/8 and SC told the police that he was bored and went for a ride out to Keanae at 11 PM on 2/8. He doesn't seem to know if he is coming or going. :laugh:

I really hate to think that there's another person twisted enough to help him.
all it takes is a meth habit?
There are actually Various Hawai'i murders where guys acting together have done stuff as bad as this in terms of dismemberment. In fact more of the bad ones were done by two or more acting together than not.

I happen to think this murder was specially horrific because I have so much empathy for the victim and family, and the pregnancy factor, but in terms of sheer butchery as an act, there are more people willing to do it and who have done it than we like to think.

I mentioned meth/ice because it's epidemic here and it seems to desensitize its addicts. Like the guy who burned his mother or aunt alive in her house, or the guy who threw his two year old off a freeway overpass while he was high ...

So far, we have heard from 3 of SC's friends, two of his ex-girlfriends, and his grandfather and they all stepped up and told the truth in court. So I will continue to think that most people are honest and kind, and horrified by the thought of killing and dismembering a fellow human being.
Well yes, but that's one set of friends we've heard from, who are good human beings and not all strung out or dealers.

But it did he have some acquaintances who were in that other world? I've lived in Hawai'i for over 15 years now, and as nice and full of aloha as most people are here, the reality is there is a subset of people who are desensitized animals to other human beings. On the mainland you might find those hardened people in neighborhoods you'd be afraid to go in because of gangs and what have you, but here where there is no urban scene, they might just as well be living in the beautiful rain forest.

Of course the people like that are a small minority, but they find each other through buying and selling drugs and weapons and stolen goods and other bad acts.

Well yes, but that's one set of friends we've heard from, who are good human beings and not all strung out or dealers.

But it did he have some acquaintances who were in that other world? I've lived in Hawai'i for over 15 years now, and as nice and full of aloha as most people are here, the reality is there is a subset of people who are desensitized animals to other human beings. On the mainland you might find those hardened people in neighborhoods you'd be afraid to go in because of gangs and what have you, but here where there is no urban scene, they might just as well be living in the beautiful rain forest.

Of course the people like that are a small minority, but they find each other through buying and selling drugs and weapons and stolen goods and other bad acts.

The police have his phone records, so they would know everyone with whom SC has been in contact. If they have done a thorough investigation, they talked to everyone SC was in contact with during the time he planning and executing the murders.

:jail:
Wait, Napili, interviews were in February. I found a link.

http://mauinow.com/2016/06/30/jury-hears-audio-of-two-police-interviews-with-capobianco/

"Maui Police Detective Wendell Loo returned to the stand where he testified about two in-person interviews that were conducted with the defendant at the Wailuku Police Station on Feb. 12, 2014...During testimony, Sgt. Loo said Capobianco arrived at the station in his lifted Toyota 4Runner and described Capobianco’s demeanor as “casual.”

Sorry for the confusion. I was just referring to the pepper spray found in the car when I said, "I agree. And that was in March. It wouldn't be relevant to the February events."

Originally Posted by Kapua:
"There was a piece of rope and an a red pepper spray canister in SC's vehicle when Trevor Pechin repossessed it from SC. "

No matter. I'm still a couple of pages back, need to catch up and there's big fish afryin'
:jail:

HGO, here's a source article on the shoes (flip-flops), found Friday, Feb 14, by searchers. I don't know what "some other valuables" refers to. This is the day that MPD did the grid search and found her remains. I had thought the civilian searchers were pulled out of that area on the Friday. Maybe KHON got it slightly wrong and it was MPD that made the finds, but searchers who talked to the news about it?

http://khon2.com/2014/02/14/new-evidence-found-in-missing-maui-woman-search/

Search leaders told KHON2 on Friday night that they found Scott’s shoes and some other valuables of hers in the same area where her clothes were found on Thursday night, off Hana Highway near Honomanu Bay.

The police have his phone records, so they would know everyone with whom SC has been in contact. If they have done a thorough investigation, they talked to everyone SC was in contact with during the time he planning and executing the murders.
You should watch The Wire. ;-) There are people that you just don't call on your AT&T cell phone network. There are other ways to find people, like going to where they hang out, and arranging meetings, and there are non-contract phones that are easy to buy.

It's interesting (to me) that the group has kind of swung around to seeing Steven as a guy who killed spur of the moment and then did what he "had to do" to finish. Maybe that is the truth. I certainly don't know. It is also possible that he paid someone to help him get it done. It was spec here at one time.

I keep coming back to his post as Chunk o' Butter, on his own Facebook, where he says ask his friends if he "would do this" or is an angry or violent person:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...mment_id=6225379&comment_tracking={"tn":"R9"}
<modsnip>

April 6, 2014 at 10:02am·

Interesting, at that time no one really knew what doing "this" entailed (dismemberment) aside from MPD and the killer and maybe her immediate family, so it's an odd phrase to use instead of something more generic like "hurt Charli." Anyhow, to me the theory makes sense that he expected to maybe be ruled out because he's just not that kind of person. Selfish to the max yes, but not viciously violent, at least not what he was known as. Statistically, most domestic violence deaths are heat of the moment, but the pre-meditated crimes against relationship partners, past or present, are not uncommonly murder for hire. I suppose because it is easier to decide someone needs to die than to carry it out oneself. Easier to decide "disappear without a trace" than to do what needs to be done to make that reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sumzoe24