GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pua, sunset decision per this article was Wednesday. Did you see a different date?
http://mauinow.com/2016/08/11/kaiser-brothers-testify-in-capobianco-murder-trial/
"During the search for Scott on Wednesday, Feb. 12, 2014, Drew Kaiser testified that the sun was about to set when he went to check the Peʻahi or “Jaws” area. When he arrived it was dark and police were there investigating the discovery of Scott’s vehicle which was reportedly found burned and tipped on its side at the location that day."
yes, I read Maui News, which places this on the 13th
http://www.mauinews.com/page/conten...-testimony-about-truck-s-location.html?nav=10

It is disappointing to see that they are not both getting the dates right. Sigh. This stuff messes up timelines.
After rereading the two articles side by side, I think the 12th (your date) is more likely right because it sounds like the police have recently arrived, and it sounds like the group did not know about the found vehicle when they decided to go search Peahi.

it also makes sense because Kim told SC not to show up at any more family searches after they found the vehicle, and I did not understand why he was out with them the next day.

So Steven was washing his truck and had bleach the day after he took off very fast before the searchers started for Peahi. Did he have time to do something? Surely the vehicle was already burned? Could he have gone back to Nua'ailua and hurriedly done something involving the blanket, clothes, etc..., foreseeing that the crap was about to hit the fan at Peahi, and he might not have another shot to go unobserved?

Sorry about the incorrect date correction, but I had read the Maui News article and I had no reason to think they reported it wrong. smh

Saturday, 2/8 Steven tells CK he was going to go to work on a friend’s truck. In addition to working on a friend’s truck, Kupstas said she wrote down a timeline of her Skype
sessions with Capobianco, and found an entry that indicated he had gone to a party after. “He returned from the party at around 11 p.m. his time
(Hawaiʻitime),”said Kupstas
Saturday 2/8 11-11:30 pm Steven returns home per Carlos Young

Sunday 2/9 Kupstas skypes with Steven before he leaves for work.
Sunday 2/9 6:15 am Steven leaves for work (truck was not stuck overnight as he says)
Sunday 2/9 throughout day, Charli attends work function, gives a haircut and attends get together at BS house.
Sunday 2/9 Steven tells Kurt kaiser his 4runner is at Mana Foods with him at work.
Sunday 2/9 Kupstas Skypes with Steven after his work. One curious thing was that she questioned why Capobianco was taking a shower when he said he was going to fix a
car.
Sunday 2/9 8:15pm SC leaves his house (Casandra Kupstas) in his 4runner
Sunday 2/9 8:15pm Charlie leave BS house.
Sunday 2/9 Taylor Farner tries to contact SC with over 90 texts with no response.
Sunday 2/9 10:56pm last ping from Charli's phone at Nua'ailua (Paraquats).

Monday 2/10 Between midnight and 2:00am Taylor Farner meets SC in his white Ford at Hanzawa's.
Monday 2/10 2:30am CK gets a skype from SC.
Monday 2/10 7-7:30am Nala found clean at Nahiku Market Place by Albert Young. (Family does not have knowledge of this).
Monday 2/10 SC works at Mana Foods. 7am ?? to 3pm ??
Monday 2/10 SC shows up at the Makawao Kaiser home between 3-4:00pm to return a backpack KK also finds his cell phone. SC declines invitation to hang out because he "was in a hurry".
Monday 2/10 8:00pm after no return calls from Charli, KS texts family.
Monday evening KS and PW go to Charli's home.
Monday 2/10 10:00pm KS reports Charli missing
Monday 2/10 Adam and then wife go to Charli's home. She nor her 4runner is there.

Tuesday 2/11 Police show up at SC home to question if he's seen Charli. He is on skype with CK
Tuesday 2/11 8:30 am Brooke Scott visits Steven at Mana foods to ask questions. SC agrees to meet her at Kimberlyn's house at 3:30p and they drive in separate vehicles
to drive Hana. They meet up with Phaedra who joins Brooke in her car.
On way back to Haiku, Brooke and Phaedra checking spots and pull into road to Paraquat's, where they see SC's truck coming out. Says nothing down there,
offers to take them, they decline. Both vehicles proceed to KS Haiku home.
Later that evening SC is asked by KS to give a timeline. KS allows SC to take Zoey

Tuesday 2/11 9:30 pm Adams Gaines receives info that Charli's truck may have been seen in Keanae. He and Steven drive there. Steven says he's already search Paraquats.

Wednesday 2/12 8:24 am Steven interview 1 with Det. Loo drove in his 4runner
Wednesday 2/12 11:22 am Steven interview 2 with Det Loo
Wednesday 2/12 evening Charli's burnt truck found at Jaws.
Wednesday 2/12 sunset Steven goes home instead of going to jaws with Drew Kaiser
Wednesday 2/12 1:30am Phaedra and Adam pick up Nala from Albert Young.

Thursday 2/13 Adam Gaines sees Steven with bleach washing his 4runner while group is searching the area.

Location1: Burnt car found at Jaws, Wednesday 2/12 evening.

Location 2: Thursday 2/13 found late morning
some 5 miles away from location 4 near Mile Marker 9-10 near Kaumahina State Wayside Park, Police were led to the makai shoulder of the roadway where a blood stained pair of Blue jeans were found by searchers.
Blue jeans found lying on top of bushes when Loo arrived.
Zip ties found near jeans. (Not processed)

Location 3: Thursday 2/13
drag marks near guard rail Mile Marker 18 (not photographed) steep drop off several 100 ft.

Location 4
Thursday 2/13 Evening getting dark
Nuaailua Bay, which is known as "Paraquats" beach Mile Marker 15.5 area
Phaedra found: Charli's clothing, a long black skirt with stab marks and a blue polka dot blouse.
a green blanket WITH MAGGOTS, Twilight DVD. (??shoes belonging to Charli??, reported but not in testimony)
BLACK pants and GREY hooded zip up jacket (that were not Charli's)
Masking tape
(This is the area SC told Brooke when the two of them drove Hana on Feb. 11th that he had already looked there)

Location 4
Next day Friday 2/14
Nuaailua Bay, which is known as "Paraquats" beach Mile Marker 15.5 area
gloves reported but not testified to
Pool of maggots
Scott's jawbone split in two, 6 feet apart,
clumps of her red hair,
pieces of skin,
a bra,
body piercing with flesh,
fingertips and nails of her right hand,

In March 2014, with $1,900 still owing, Pechin said he repossessed the vehicle from Capobianco, who drove it to Pechin's house. Pechin said he stored the 4Runner at his residence for "less than a week" before "the police took the vehicle for evidence." vehicle had been locked, except for the broken back window, which had a tarp and brick over it, Pechin said. He said items shown in a photograph of the console, including a piece of rope and red pepper spray canister, weren't his.
noted for myself.

Wailua Wayside Park, where Capobianco said he was picked up by the driver of the Toyota Corolla.

ok, yes, I see where I had Carlos Young in parenthesis. Not sure how the heck that got there? lol Must have been a cut and paste issue. I've done it too many times. Thank you for pointing that out.

There's been a few articles where I have to really, really, concentrate on the article and reread to get the dates right. They're not always worded in a timeline format, more so a story, but non the less the info is there which is excellent we have people reporting!

Mamma, maybe you're on to something. Maybe it wasn't a precise killing but yet a frantic swinging machete that struck where it did.
I don't know. I guess in my head I want it to be someone that she didn't love or trust. I want it to be some lunatic that had to emotional connection to her. Makes it easier to swallow for me. Makes the brain understand the heinousness just a tad more. In a way that it's not that I don't want it to be HIM, but I don't want it to be that emotional connection. I'm not explaining this right.

You should watch The Wire. ;-) There are people that you just don't call on your AT&T cell phone network. There are other ways to find people, like going to where they hang out, and arranging meetings, and there are non-contract phones that are easy to buy.

It's interesting (to me) that the group has kind of swung around to seeing Steven as a guy who killed spur of the moment and then did what he "had to do" to finish. Maybe that is the truth. I certainly don't know. It is also possible that he paid someone to help him get it done. It was spec here at one time.

I keep coming back to his post as Chunk o' Butter, on his own Facebook, where he says ask his friends if he "would do this" or is an angry or violent person:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...mment_id=6225379&comment_tracking={"tn":"R9"}

<modsnip>

April 6, 2014 at 10:02am ·

Interesting, at that time no one really knew what doing "this" entailed (dismemberment) aside from MPD and the killer and maybe her immediate family, so it's an odd phrase to use instead of something more generic like "hurt Charli." Anyhow, to me the theory makes sense that he expected to maybe be ruled out because he's just not that kind of person. Selfish to the max yes, but not viciously violent, at least not what he was known as. Statistically, most domestic violence deaths are heat of the moment, but the pre-meditated crimes against relationship partners, past or present, are not uncommonly murder for hire. I suppose because it is easier to decide someone needs to die than to carry it out oneself. Easier to decide "disappear without a trace" than to do what needs to be done to make that reality.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think he did this "spur of the moment". He clearly planned it, IMHO. He asked Ginseng Mileur how to get away with a murder. He told Taylor Farner that he couldn't meet her on 2/9 because he had "something to take care of." How is that "spur of the moment"?

I think that SC is fully capable of doing the dirty work himself with regard to the murder, despite what he claims. He "hated kids" according to both Taylor and Cassie. He didn't have the kind of money you'd need to entice another person to get his hands bloody.

I do think he may have had help with the car stripping and arson, and if he did, I think MPD knows who it was that helped him.

I for sure think he fantasized about how to get out of the situation he didn't want to be in. He probably thought about it daily. Did he plan to heinously murder her in the manner that he did or was that spur of the moment? Did he just have a plan to harm the baby? Did he have a plan to kill them both? Did he plan it the way it turned out?

When he said he has something to "take care of" it could have meant sell drugs and that's not something most people would openly say. Ya just skim over it and say I have something to take care. Or did he know exactly when, where, why, what and who?

I for sure think he fantasized about how to get out of the situation he didn't want to be in. He probably thought about it daily. Did he plan to heinously murder her in the manner that he did or was that spur of the moment? Did he just have a plan to harm the baby? Did he have a plan to kill them both? Did he plan it the way it turned out?

When he said he has something to "take care of" it could have meant sell drugs and that's not something most people would openly say. Ya just skim over it and say I have something to take care. Or did he know exactly when, where, why, what and who?

Good points, HGO. We don't know how detailed his plan was, and we may never know that.

But we know that he'd been to Nua'ailua at least once before with his cousin. We know he asked GM how to get away with a murder. We know that he hated children and did not want to be a father or have to support a child. All of this is from the horse's mouth. I draw the conclusion that he planned to kill Charli and Joshua. He may have strangled her initially and then dismembered her the following night. He may have hidden the tools necessary to do what he did at the site earlier and completed everything Sunday night. Who knows? There are parts of this story that will never be told. After we hear the phone evidence, we will know more. The forensic entomologist ("da insect guy") may provide more insight, too.

So far he's unaccounted for Sunday night after 8:15 pm to somewhere between 12 midnight to 2:00am when he met TF and then 2:30 am when he skyped CK.

Also unaccounted for Monday after he left work and went to Kaiser's 3-4:00 pm ish all the way to Tuesday morning when Police show up at his house as he's skyping with CK.

That's a lot of time...

So far he's unaccounted for Sunday night after 8:15 pm to somewhere between 12 midnight to 2:00am when he met TF and then 2:30 am when he skyped CK.

Also unaccounted for Monday after he left work and went to Kaiser's 3-4:00 pm ish all the way to Tuesday morning when Police show up at his house as he's skyping with CK.

That's a lot of time...

Exactly. And Drew Kaiser testified that he only stayed 10 minutes Monday afternoon and declined to go to DK's sisters house to hang out. Did he have somewhere to go, something to do?

Good points, HGO. We don't know how detailed his plan was, and we may never know that.

But we know that he'd been to Nua'ailua at least once before with his cousin. We know he asked GM how to get away with a murder. We know that he hated children and did not want to be a father or have to support a child. All of this is from the horse's mouth. I draw the conclusion that he planned to kill Charli and Joshua. He may have strangled her initially and then dismembered her the following night. He may have hidden the tools necessary to do what he did at the site earlier and completed everything Sunday night. Who knows? There are parts of this story that will never be told. After we hear the phone evidence, we will know more. The forensic entomologist ("da insect guy") may provide more insight, too.
Agree, and I am on the side of premeditated murder -- with something unforeseen necessitating (in his mind) a hastily concocted alibi involving placing himself with her and within a certain proximity to the scene that was not originally intended. This need to improvise a story made him seem without a plan and stupid, is my theory. I think he is far from stupid, young and cocky and arrogant yes, but not low in intelligence.

Anyhow, when I first read CK's testimony, I thought this is evidence he planned it, because he made up a lie about working on a friend's truck to cover Sunday evening in advance. And I think there was no friend's truck work at all, as we haven't heard about it, and we have not heard about a real party Sat. either -- so it is very possible he lied about Saturday to CK and went out there to make some advance prep as Kapua theorized above.

And yes, the Kaiser testimony indicates that he most likely had more to do on Monday after work. I always thought so, but his rushing off to do something when he would normally have hung out is good confirmation.

CK was into drugs (not hard core ones AFAIK), so he did not need to lie about that on Skype. (Unless she lied). People who buy and sell drugs have code phrases they use to avoid outright saying it on the phone or other communication. (Going to work on friend's truck would be a new one). In any case, he told her of one plan for Sunday evening so that she would not expect a Skype from him, and it was a lie, which indicates he was planning.

He did not murder her with the machete though. The holes in her clothing were from a knife. Some of the holes were quite small. He did not defleshed her jaw with the machete either, IIRC on the testimony, because that blade was serrated. So that's two blades and a machete. While it is really common for men to carry around machetes as tools, Carly's life didn't require having a machete in her truck and I doubt she did. But he could have gone back with one Monday and any other tools.

Loo made it pretty clear he thought the machete was for dismembering. A knife could easily be a crime of the spur of the moment, just responding to the idea about wild hacking with the machete.

SC did have enough money to hire someone. He had borrowed $1200, and as Crabapple J noted back in 2014, SC still had a bald tire when he was searching. And the truck got repossessed. What did he do with his loan money?

I guess it's too late to edit. I meant that he had had some access to a lump sum that may have been enough. He may also have spent it elsewhere. Also I am not up on the going rates for accessory to murder on Maui. Ice heads around Haiku probably come cheaper than professional hit men on the mainland. ;-) There are some pretty scuzzy people who live in that area despite the natural beauty and the high cost of living. I am just suggesting it is possible as others have said before, not a new idea, but one I am liking marginally better than he roped in one of his buddies or his brother, or that he managed it all himself.

I think that having a tweaker do the cleanup could account for the sloppiness. Just a theory, not set on it.

I thought a machete did have a serrated blade?

It's not a good theory I know, but possible that he just started swinging away and that he didn't take the time to deflesh?

I had to Google 'machete', because I had no clue. Yep, there are many styles of machetes, some with serrated edges. Which makes me think, what type of weapon did he use and where did he get it? Did he own a machete? Did he take one from his grandfather's property? If it was his, was it purchased recently? Can the prosecution produce a receipt? And did he dispose of it, and if so, where?

I thought a machete did have a serrated blade?
No, it has a uniform edge. The blade is slightly curved on your standard machete, but we also have a straight machete. I've been around many machetes here in Hawai'i over the years, and never have seen one that was serrated. Hunting knives, yes.

Huh, for some reason the last three replies didn't load when I opened the page, so I had missed them. So clearly there are a variety of machetes around the world, and probably in Hawai'i, but the garden variety here is not serrated, and I mean the garden part literally. Serrated blades are good for sawing, but most machete work in the Hawai'i yard is whacking. A serrated blade's teeth have more likelihood to grab the plant material and get stuck to it. What you want with say whacking a banana stalk or whacking down grass is for the blade to travel clean through with each stroke.

Aside from my family, I've hired a variety of yard guys, and they all used the clean edged type. But in any case, I thought that Loo said the jaw defleshing was done with a serrated edge knife. It's just a completely different type of tool. The knife is useful for controlled work, whereas a machete is for work where you put your whole arm behind it and all your strength. There's no finesse to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sumzoe24