GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not putting anything on his mom. She left him in her mom's care. Whether he liked it or not is irrelevant. Like RDS said, too much love and kindness made him snap? I guess we'll never really know.
Oh, is that what happened? It's not uncommon for Grandma to pick up the reins when Mom is unmarried and/or not able to be a functioning mom. A lot of things happen for well meant reasons that kids don't understand and nurse deep resentments. Kids feel what they feel whether it is fair to their caretakers or not. But most don't become murderers. My kids had plenty of rough patches and no sign of them killing anyone yet.

There's a big difference between understanding how a person's psyche gets bent and excusing the bent actions. Just because one sees the crooked path from A to Z does not mean the bent person gets a pass because childhood didn't turn out wonderful. Most people like me who are interested in psychoanalysis are trying to understand human behavior, out of a need to figure out why incomprehensible things happen, but are are in no way looking to justify evil acts.

PS. Interesting comment about "too much love" for Steven. There are two dominant types of people (this is from my reading) who develop Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Those who are very neglected and compensating for the lack of nurturing, and those who are overly praised and raised to think too much of themselves and too little of others -- because they believe they are the special ones.

CharlisLei.jpg

This is the lei that I made for Charli and Joshua.

He would have made damned sure they got an abortion. Taylor and Cass were both younger than Charli and living at home. Charli was independent and living on her own. She didn't need SC which is probably why she hid the pregnancy from him until she was well into her 2nd trimester.

This.

I'm not putting anything on his mom. She left him in her mom's care. Whether he liked it or not is irrelevant. Like RDS said, too much love and kindness made him snap? I guess we'll never really know.

It's not a question of "like". The emotional life of a child should never be underestimated; It feeds the adult.
Granted, I don't know SC, thankfully, and many of you local posters do, or do know his background. I can only go by what I read and glean between the lines as that's all I/we get.
I have worked with children all my adult life and daily see the result of unmet, un-nourished emotional needs. It is a springboard to disfunction.

attachment.php

This is the lei that I made for Charli and Joshua.
Gorgeous, Kapua! Crocheted? Those are some of my favorite colors. Many years ago when I was working on being a textile artist, I crocheted a jacket (the only one I ever finished), and those were the colors I used. Is it a variegated yarn?
That is wonderful of you to make this beautiful lei.

It's not a question of "like". The emotional life of a child should never be underestimated; It feeds the adult.
Granted, I don't know SC, thankfully, and many of you local posters do, or do know his background. I can only go by what I read and glean between the lines as that's all I/we get.
I have worked with children all my adult life and daily see the result of unmet, un-nourished emotional needs. It is a springboard to disfunction.
Beautifully explained, MM. I have one of those and how I wish I could just hug away the dysfunctional residue of childhood, but I cannot. I can hug, but it's not the cure it was when he was two.

Beautifully explained, MM. I have one of those and how I wish I could just hug away the dysfunctional residue of childhood, but I cannot. I can hug, but it's not the cure it was when he was two.

I hear you, Pua. I think raising children is the most important job in the world, partly because of all the other and outside influences we cannot control, divert or assuage that work on the child as well.

I keep having errors trying to reply to RDS with quote or without. Sigh.Totally agree he should rot forever, and it's not enough punishment. I'm sure we who did not know him before would all like to hear more about his history of violence. Did he hit Charli, verbally abuse her, control her with fear (or his other GF, or others)? Tell us more. I don't "want to believe" lies. It's just I usually start with believing someone until good reason to question if he or she is lying. Hardly anyone lies with every single word, even a liar. With SC, there's reason to question everything he said. At this point, I don't believe anything he said about him and Charli unless backed up by someone else. I don't believe they were talking amicably about his supposed part in the baby's life. At least, I don't believe he was sincere. I can't discount that possibly he tried to fool her into thinking he was going to change his attitude.There's no way for outsiders to know when Charli cut him off emotionally, if she did.According to the Disappeared Special, Kim says Charli would do an awful lot for Steven, and truly loved him. At 7:35 in, friend (Kaiser?) says they continued to hook up in secret places after they broke up, and she did not tell her family, and SC didn't tell. Was she scared of him in Jan-Feb 2014? Had she refused to see him? Did she still have any dreams he might love her and the baby? I surely don't know, and I don't want to speculate in this area. There are areas where I will speculate, but not about how she felt. Regardless, I am 100% on her side, in her court, and there is not and never will be any sympathy for him in my mind.

Gorgeous, Kapua! Crocheted? Those are some of my favorite colors. Many years ago when I was working on being a textile artist, I crocheted a jacket (the only one I ever finished), and those were the colors I used. Is it a variegated yarn?
That is wonderful of you to make this beautiful lei.

Yes, it is crocheted over a ribbon core. All of the colors are symbolic of Charli and Joshua. I used six different yarns in shades of moss green, pink, teal, pale yellow and this soft variegated yarn that's yellow, teal, and purple all in one.

I keep having errors trying to reply to RDS with quote or without. Sigh.Totally agree he should rot forever, and it's not enough punishment. I'm sure we who did not know him before would all like to hear more about his history of violence. Did he hit Charli, verbally abuse her, control her with fear (or his other GF, or others)? Tell us more. I don't "want to believe" lies. It's just I usually start with believing someone until good reason to question if he or she is lying. Hardly anyone lies with every single word, even a liar. With SC, there's reason to question everything he said. At this point, I don't believe anything he said about him and Charli unless backed up by someone else. I don't believe they were talking amicably about his supposed part in the baby's life. At least, I don't believe he was sincere. I can't discount that possibly he tried to fool her into thinking he was going to change his attitude.There's no way for outsiders to know when Charli cut him off emotionally, if she did.According to the Disappeared Special, Kim says Charli would do an awful lot for Steven, and truly loved him. At 7:35 in, friend (Kaiser?) says they continued to hook up in secret places after they broke up, and she did not tell her family, and SC didn't tell. Was she scared of him in Jan-Feb 2014? Had she refused to see him? Did she still have any dreams he might love her and the baby? I surely don't know, and I don't want to speculate in this area. There are areas where I will speculate, but not about how she felt. Regardless, I am 100% on her side, in her court, and there is not and never will be any sympathy for him in my mind.

I'd rather speculate about how Charli felt and what SC told her than about the more graphic details of her last moments.

My guess is that she still cared about him but was no longer crazy in love with him. I do think that SC lied (as usual) and told Charli that he was "warming up to the idea" of being a father. The "she's having my baby I want to be a part of its life" lie that SC told the police might actually have been what he told Charli. He might even have offered to give her some money or baby items that his cousin's child had outgrown. I think she was curious to see if he was sincere.

^ This is total speculation and MOO.

Kapua, I find your thoughtful speculation very interesting. It is just on my part I don't feel like I have enough information.I don't at all enjoy the graphic speculation about her death and after, but I do value seeking the truth as to whether remains may still exist and be recoverable, and where, and as a closure of sorts, though a hideous reality.In any case, those are good points you make. I feel that "our" WS hypothesis that has evolved, wherein he co-opts bits of truth to tell his lies, supports the idea that he told Charli these lies. It is not speculation that Charli showed more tolerance for Steven than he ever deserved, for a long time. See Kim's emotional statement near the beginning of Disappeared about Charli's love for Steven ... and think how much was probably not shared with Kim just for the sake of avoiding disapproval.My question that remains is her mental state as of Feb. 9th, 2014. I simply have not seen enough evidence presented of whether she was scared of him by that point, enough to refuse his cajoling (if any). On one hand there is Brooke saying he took her for a forced ride on Hana Highway that scared her a lot, two weeks before. Also her fatigue that night rings true. Long day. On the other we have a long history of her willingness to go out of her way for him.Her willingness matters, of course, because it effects what steps he had to take to get her there.

Sorry about no paragraphs. I put them in, but something is wrong with my posting today. I'm not able to format anything, or edit, and I don't know why.When I press edit, the whole post disappears and I have an empty white box.

I just love the lei, Kapua, and your explanation shows how complex it is, how thoughtful. You are making me want to crochet again too. (I tried to Reply with Quote to bring your comment forward, but the function isn't working for me. It just spins when I try.)

On one hand there is Brooke saying he took her for a forced ride on Hana Highway that scared her a lot, two weeks before.

And there it is, the proof I needed to get rid of my theory that they weren't really in communication again.

So according to Brooke Scott, they were in contact again, so it couldn't have been Charli ignoring him that fueled his rage.

Theory, meet trash can. ;-)

He would have made damned sure they got an abortion. Taylor and Cass were both younger than Charli and living at home. Charli was independent and living on her own. She didn't need SC which is probably why she hid the pregnancy from him until she was well into her 2nd trimester.

Taylor and Cass didn't need SC either. Charli seems to have been more head over heels for Steven than those two (judging by how quickly Taylor & Cass both moved on) and yet he was not able to get her to terminate the pregnancy. Taylor & Cass are young but they ARE autonomous - we're talking about adults here who both have protective family on the island. Just because he'd try to persuade doesn't mean he'd be successful.

You'd think someone so obsessed with not having a baby would be very conscientious about using condoms. :facepalm:

Does anyone know what happened to Steven's grandmother, Frances? I know she was ill and living at the Kalipo home, but the home has been sold and his step-grandfather moved to the mainland. Did Steven's grandmother pass away, still on the island, or moved to the mainland with Carlos Young...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member