GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you thinking, Moxie? That he delivered her to her killer? Backstory?
Possibly pants and hoodie planted by SC to thwart investigation? He went back numerous times, we assume.
I'm going to go join Kapua.

I just don't know, MamaMerced.
When I returned to this forum a month or so ago, my first post was a theory about Steven having delivered her to a hit-man in Hana. I don't necessarily believe or disbelieve that, but with today's DNA evidence of at least two people's DNA on that hoodie and NONE of it belongs to SC, I have to question whether he was the actual murderer. I don't have any answers though. Maybe a hit-man. Maybe simply an accomplice. Maybe the DNA evidence is incorrect or his DNA just wasn't deposited like some other people who'd worn that hoodie in the past. I don't know. :-(

So I believe the black Perry Ellis jeans & hoodie would have been deposited at the riverbank on Wednesday night when the remains were removed, because the blanket & tape were also found at the riverbank, and we know the blanket was suffused with the smell of rot and likely had been covering the body for a period of time due to the maggot testimony. The jeans & hoodie had no blood on them, but the hoodie did have the DNA of two individuals that were NOT Steven or Charli. So someone other than Steven may have removed the remains on Wednesday night.

Now, the blue pair of jeans DID have Charli's blood staining them. They were the same size as the other jeans, so likely worn by the same person. IMO they were likely deposited on Sunday, the night of the murder (because, again, there's reason to believe the black jeans were deposited during body removal of Wed. night). These jeans had a mixture of DNA from 2 or more people in the waistband, this DNA could match Steven or Charli but it could match many other people as well due to the low frequency estimate number. These were found beyond the guardrail at Kaumahina, going back toward Haiku from Paraquats.

But Steven was seen driving in the opposite direction into Hana on the night of the murder, most likely taking the back way around the island....driving far away from where that bloody pair of pants were deposited.

Hmmmmm....I'm not so sure he did the actual murder anymore, guys. This new info is very fascinating and very hard to interpret.
Excellent analysis. I have remained open to the accomplice or hit person theory. And not just because he is a vegetarian baker boy. ;-)

The time frame for Sunday that we worked out with the phone pings and Hana sighting was very tight, given also the return to Jaws relatively early. I did not and do not think it gave him time to do much, and the forced march into the jungle depths theory requires even more time. I think he was there, but he could have parted ways and taken her truck to Hana.

I'm still not sure he took the back way. He probably took Nala to Nakiku and continued on to Hana, but we just don't know if he had people to meet there. Yes, the road around Kaupo way is desolate, but he then would need to pass through Kula and Makawao and Pukalani en route to Haiku and Jaws, a corridor where people know him and some of his friends live or work, And even more dangerous for him driving her vehicle -- Charli lives in Makawao and works at Paragon salon there. It's actually probably more low key to get to Peahi from the Hana Highway.

Remember the look on his face seen in Hana. He had seen something that gave him that expression, even if he had help.

Moxie, I'm confused about the blue DKNY jeans, because your first half notes say there was blood and it matched Charli, but here in the second half it is a negative for blood. Can you explain why two opposing results to poor me who hasn't seen the video yet?............................................I wonder if there was some other material covering her that was taken away, like plastic, and the blanket only came into use after a few days had passed and the blood was long dried. Or, regardless of some other covering, the blanket was not used until later, when there was no more blood but heavy decomposition to account for the insects. What do you guys think?

Those are two different samples. The samples described in my earlier post were made by today's witness herself. The pants sample in my second post was just a swab submitted to her by the police, so it contained a different concentration of DNA and yielded different results.
Moreover, I was confused about which pair of pants were being referred to that didn't have any blood because they just kept referring to it as "the marked jeans," but now I'm thinking maybe they were first referring to the black pants, and then to the blue pants regarding swabs to the waistband. So, I'm just as confused by that as you are, they weren't really clear about which was being discussed at first.

About the blanket.....I just don't know. I assume that she was covered loosely with the blanket after she'd stopped flowing blood (coinciding with the break in fly-egg-laying).
It's all so confusing, I'm off to bed.

He could have delivered her. I think we know he is a coward. He didn't even have the courage to handle a baby that other people wished to care for and support and raise.

As I have noted many times here, the guy had no muscle mass on him in those police photos. He had very thin arms and he could not have been very strong, and I do think she could have put up a fight if conscious. If unconscious, then her dead weight would be too much for him to get from the road to the tree clearing area. Either way he could have used help. The trick is finding someone who would do something that terrible and would never talk.

He could possibly have paid in dope that he had grown -- money isn't the only medium of exchange.

I really dont think it was much of a forced march. You drive to the sight and the river drops down about ten feet. Throw her down and drag her body thst he stabbed back at Twin Falls

Excellent analysis. I have remained open to the accomplice or hit person theory. And not just because he is a vegetarian baker boy. ;-)

The time frame for Sunday that we worked out with the phone pings and Hana sighting was very tight, given also the return to Jaws relatively early. I did not and do not think it gave him time to do much, and the forced march into the jungle depths theory requires even more time. I think he was there, but he could have parted ways and taken her truck to Hana.

I'm still not sure he took the back way. He probably took Nala to Nakiku and continued on to Hana, but we just don't know if he had people to meet there. Yes, the road around Kaupo way is desolate, but he then would need to pass through Kula and Makawao and Pukalani en route to Haiku and Jaws, a corridor where people know him and some of his friends live or work, And even more dangerous for him driving her vehicle -- Charli lives in Makawao and works at Paragon salon there. It's actually probably more low key to get to Peahi from the Hana Highway.

Remember the look on his face seen in Hana. He had seen something that gave him that expression, even if he had help.

Hmmm....yep. Very intriguing

Those are two different samples. The samples described in my earlier post were made by today's witness herself. The pants sample in my second post was just a swab submitted to her by the police, so it contained a different concentration of DNA and yielded different results.
Moreover, I was confused about which pair of pants were being referred to that didn't have any blood because they just kept referring to it as "the marked jeans," but now I'm thinking maybe they were first referring to the black pants, and then to the blue pants regarding swabs to the waistband. So, I'm just as confused by that as you are, they weren't really clear about which was being discussed at first.

About the blanket.....I just don't know. I assume that she was covered loosely with the blanket after she'd stopped flowing blood (coinciding with the break in fly-egg-laying).
It's all so confusing, I'm off to bed.
That all makes sense to me. Thanks for that. :)
Only 8:30 at night here in Hawai'i -- so I'll be up.

I don't remember for sure, but did not the grey hoodie have maggots on it? If so, it would be part of the crime scene and not random washed down stream clothing. Could it be planted? Well, it's always possible, but it doesn't seem like he thought that area would be searched. His original idea seemed to be to point towards a serial killer or other stranger to go with the concern over missing women in that general part of Maui. A gray hoodie and Perry Ellis jeans would be an odd choice for staging along those lines. Seems to me way more likely they were worn and discarded because at the time they were stinking to high heaven even if not bloody.

Right, I don't think he originally thought the crime area would be searched, but he did have time and opportunity to return and plant once he knew it would be.

Question: didn't his phone ping once on the south end of the island? I can't remember which night it might have been......Sunday(?).

We've yet to hear this big lie Apo referred to.

If Steven had an accomplice it's not like he can say I had an accomplice.

The idea of an accomplice just doesnt play out in my head. If there were two they could have done a better job stashing the body and taken their time disposing of it. To tell you the truth I have a hard time believing anybody is ready to risk their freedom for anything Capobianco had. Think about it. All this chatter is just twisting your thoughts and creating a diversion from the obvious which up to this date has been on the money.

As far as skinny Steven..well..he had a good radius with long arms and pretty hard to fend off a sharp machete.

The time frame for Sunday that we worked out with the phone pings and Hana sighting was very tight, given also the return to Jaws relatively early. I did not and do not think it gave him time to do much, and the forced march into the jungle depths theory requires even more time. I think he was there, but he could have parted ways and taken her truck to Hana.............................Remember the look on his face seen in Hana. He had seen something that gave him that expression, even if he had help.

I don't remember for sure, but did not the grey hoodie have maggots on it? If so, it would be part of the crime scene and not random washed down stream clothing. Could it be planted? ............. A gray hoodie and Perry Ellis jeans would be an odd choice for staging along those lines. Seems to me way more likely they were worn and discarded because at the time they were stinking to high heaven even if not bloody.

Yes, the cell phone data timeline is very tight. No time to do much in terms of dismemberment, etc. And in the dark??? I am very open at this point to him delivering her to someone.

Regarding the pants being a plant, Steven is skinny and the pants are also those of a thin person. If he was going to plant a pair of pants to deflect away from suspecting him as the perp, IMO he would've planted clothing of a large person - not clothes that could've fit him.

I don't know if those clothes were discarded due to smell, or simply that the person suspected that there was blood on them because of what he'd been doing and didn't want to take any chances. It was likely nighttime when he deposited them there so not able to do a good visual inspection of his own clothes.

I think when Max put everything into the back of Molly's truck, the maggots got transferred during the journey so that there were maggots on some clothes pieces when they'd arrived home to Makawao, but I don't remember anyone mentioning maggots on the clothes where they were actually found at Paraquats. Could be wrong though.

Question: didn't his phone ping once on the south end of the island? I can't remember which night it might have been......Sunday(?).

There is no way to know if he was ever on the south end/Kaupo side of the island, because the whole east & south side are serviced by the same tower IIRC. There was indication that he was in east/south Maui for 4 or 5 nights in a row starting on that Sat or Sun. He could have been killing, dismembering Charli during these times, or he could have been delivering her and then checking on the remains out of paranoia......Who knows at this point.

That hoodie w/ 2 DNA profiles - none of which are SC - is really interesting.

We've yet to hear this big lie Apo referred to.

If Steven had an accomplice it's not like he can say I had an accomplice.

Here is what Apo said about the Big Lie:

"This is not to say Steven is completely without fault for sitting where he is today. The evidence in this case will be - probably to a nauseating degree - that Steven Capobianco lied to Detective Loo from the very start regarding his knowledge and/or involvement with Carly's disappearance and ultimately her death. Regarding this lie, this trial will finally address why Steven, and any other reasonable person in his shoes, would lie to a detective questioning you for something that is, for all you know, smaller than what you're trying to hide with the lie. Regarding this lie, the evidence will show that Steven provided the most information that he could, in relevant part, to Detective Loo and other investigators. The evidence will show that Steven did his best, under the circumstances, to provide Detective Loo with what he knew about the last whereabouts of Carly, all the way to the point of placing them on the road in the area he last saw her. In irrelevant part, the evidence will show that Steven refused to gratuitously incriminate both he and Carly by telling the whole truth about the night of February 9, 2014. That evidence will be coming out in trial. Ladies and Gentlemen, most of the evidence presented by the state in this trial will be addressing the "big lie" by Steven Capobianco, even though ironically, this "lie" or "statement" would have proved helpful to the investigators if taken for informative purposes rather than for guilt purposes."

It sounds to me like Apo said to Steven "Listen brah, the prosecution is going to show with certainty that there was no broken down vehicle at Keanae. You sure there's nothing else you want to tell me?"

And then Steven confessed to Apo that the broken-down truck was a lie, and "admitted" that he and Charli were really out there for some more nefarious purpose that night, like a drug deal, but he didn't want to say it to the cops initially because it involved illegal activity.

Does anyone have any other interpretations, based on Apo's hints?

It sounds to me like Apo said to Steven "Listen brah, the prosecution is going to show with certainty that there was no broken down vehicle at Keanae. You sure there's nothing else you want to tell me?"

And then Steven confessed to Apo that the broken-down truck was a lie, and "admitted" that he and Charli were really out there for some more nefarious purpose that night, like a drug deal, but he didn't want to say it to the cops initially because it involved illegal activity.

Does anyone have any other interpretations, based on Apo's hints?

And then Steven confessed to Apo that the broken-down truck was a lie, and "admitted" that he and Charli were really out there for some more nefarious purpose that night, like murdering her, but he didn't want to say it to the cops initially because it involved illegal activity.

Although.... We all know he killed her....but would he confess it to his Lawyer?

He delivered her to nobody. He killed her himself and Baby Joshua. He needs to be held accountable and for extensive purposes rot in hell as well for all eternity, let alone anybody withholding knowledge of the accounts.

Lawyer/Client privileged holds no weight on judgement day. Apo/Nardi are sooooo gonna burn...not just for the Capobianco...

The idea of an accomplice just doesnt play out in my head. If there were two they could have done a better job stashing the body and taken their time disposing of it. To tell you the truth I have a hard time believing anybody is ready to risk their freedom for anything Capobianco had. Think about it. All this chatter is just twisting your thoughts and creating a diversion from the obvious which up to this date has been on the money.

As far as skinny Steven..well..he had a good radius with long arms and pretty hard to fend off a sharp machete.
True, and I believe he could manage the attack. I believe he did the stabbing, with the womb as target. That seems personal. I question his strength when it comes to getting her through the jungle, but it's not impossible.

there are people here who will do evil for very little reward when it comes to drugs. They don't seem that great at calculating their risk to freedom vs. reward. Hawai'i isn't very good at locking up its criminals for long either.

I think he/they(?) did a very good job of stashing/disposing of Charli's body, PT. Granted, he/they were very sloppy with the clothes, blanket, etc. I suspect sloppiness due to haste and darkness, but quien sabe?

I doubt SC's accomplice, if he had one, was thinking about loss of freedom....probably thinking more in line with helping a friend/brother, paying back a debt, etc. Delusion thinking, of course, but it happens all the time.

I agree this suspicion is likely taking us off course. Could be the clothes had been conveniently and unrelatedly tossed there before, and gathered by MPD, just in case.

Hey guys,
Jonny Aposeed is doing his best to sow doubts in very fertile minds.
Resist!

I agree this suspicion is likely taking us off course. Could be the clothes had been conveniently and unrelatedly tossed there before, and gathered by MPD, just in case.

The clothes were found together near the blanket and the pants are the exact same size as the other pair that have Charli's blood on them. I don't think it's at all likely that those clothes are unrelated.

Hey guys,
Jonny Aposeed is doing his best to sow doubts everywhere.
Resist!

Not sure what you're referring to, but the new DNA evidence from yesterday didn't come from Apo at all.

PeterTosh:
I still think it's most likely that Steven did this, but you can't just ignore hard science as evidence just because it contradicts an entrenched theory. This evidence about the hoodie - at least 2 DNA contributors present, none of them are Steven - needs to be incorporated.

I will assume that, being a young man still in "adolescent mode," there was a lot of borrowing and things left behind in vehicles among friends and acquaintances. The original owner might've worn the gray sweater a lot....he maybe had a heavy make-out session with a woman who gave him a hickey or something, and that's how two contributors deposited their DNA around the collar. This person left the hoodie at some point in SC's vehicle and SC co-opted the hoodie, maybe wearing it for the first time the night of the murder. It was the cool time of the year so he didn't sweat much, so didn't deposit his DNA on it.

Moxie, I'm referring to Apo's opening statements regarding the Big Lie which you just reposted for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member